Forums > General Industry > Your opinion - the best fine art nude on MM (18+)

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Sadly, I lost my inspiration a while ago and haven't shot in a long time. I've always had fantastic appreciation for well done fine art nude images, with a soft spot for black & white. It's a slow morning, so I thought I'd attempt some inspiration by asking. . .what is your favorite fine art nude image on MM? I'm going to have to think about that, myself, as there are so many really wonderful images available on this site. Looking forward to your favorites.

Have a wonderful day.

Edit: let's have some inspiration from outside of MM as well, as suggested. And I'm honestly interested to know what YOUR own personal favorite is....not just a page full of fine art nudes. I can find that easily. Thank you.  wink

Jan 29 16 06:34 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Don't limit yourself to MM.

If you can't find inspiration here: https://www.google.com/search?q=fine+ar … MQ_AUIBigB

Jan 29 16 06:41 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Omaroo wrote:
Sadly, I lost my inspiration a while ago and haven't shot in a long time. I've always had fantastic appreciation for well done fine art nude images, with a soft spot for black & white. It's a slow morning, so I thought I'd attempt some inspiration by asking. . .what is your favorite fine art nude image on MM? I'm going to have to think about that, myself, as there are so many really wonderful images available on this site. Looking forward to your favorites.

Have a wonderful day.

Are you on Model Society? It is primarily Figure/Art Nude photography.

Jen

Jan 29 16 06:54 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

No image I've seen sticks out as the best on MM, but here's an art nude list that will get you started.  Once you have a list, you can surf all the linked lists for hours and hours finding inspiration.   

Some are 18+

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/3470

I also recommend a web search.  I saw a few wonderful sites featuring great work just last night.

Jan 29 16 06:58 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Some are fine art nude on MM (18+):
fine art shoot

Jan 29 16 08:18 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I'm probably a bit biased, but, I've always liked this one  .  .  .

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 36ffd4.jpg 18+

.  .  .  Miss C really made me look good, she's quite the model  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jan 29 16 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

FilmmakerDC wrote:
Don't limit yourself to MM.

If you can't find inspiration here: https://www.google.com/search?q=fine+ar … MQ_AUIBigB

Good point. I certainly do not wish to limit only to MM if I'm looking for inspiration. Plenty here, but plenty elsewhere also. I'll amend that OP.  smile

Jan 29 16 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
No image I've seen sticks out as the best on MM, but here's an art nude list that will get you started.  Once you have a list, you can surf all the linked lists for hours and hours finding inspiration.   

Some are 18+

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/3470

I also recommend a web search.  I saw a few wonderful sites featuring great work just last night.

I'm not just looking for inspiration. I'm honestly interested in what image you like the most, if you have a favorite.

Jan 29 16 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

alessandro2009 wrote:
Some are fine art nude on MM (18+):
fine art shoot

But what is YOUR favorite?

Jan 29 16 08:35 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

This one has been my favorite for years. I have a print of this hanging in my hallway. The model is actress Amy Reid.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 … 2afa61.jpg

Jan 29 16 08:49 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

Los Angeles, California, US

The unfortunately reality is that looking for quality anything on mm can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Judging by all the tacky nudes here with dozens and dozens of “Now that’s what I call art” comments, one would have to conclude that it’s the delusional leading the clueless.

You’ll find a far higher caliber of images on tumblr if you know where to look.

Here’s one you might find worth checking out:  http://kcnightfire.tumblr.com/archive

Jan 29 16 09:00 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

crx studios wrote:
Judging by all the tacky nudes here with dozens and dozens of “Now that’s what I call art” comments, one would have to conclude that it’s the delusional leading the clueless.

I've genuinely questioned my judgement and taste upon seeing the hordes of positive comments on images that to my eye had no artistic/aesthetic merit whatsoever. It had to be me...right?

Although my favorite image of his is only an implied nude (the profile image), I'm a huge fan of AKIRA-NYC's style. He mainly shoots art/fashion nude.

Jan 29 16 09:37 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

by popular demand go see the +18 contest winners.. that's the trend here on mm.

better off looking else where.

Jan 29 16 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

crx studios wrote:
The unfortunately reality is that looking for quality anything on mm can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Judging by all the tacky nudes here with dozens and dozens of “Now that’s what I call art” comments, one would have to conclude that it’s the delusional leading the clueless.

You’ll find a far higher caliber of images on tumblr if you know where to look.

Here’s one you might find worth checking out:  http://kcnightfire.tumblr.com/archive

There is certainly crap around, but most of the images I see are quite well done.  Or, most of the art nudes.  I guess it depends on where you look.

Tumblr has some wonderful work, and far, far, more crap than MM.

Jan 29 16 10:02 am Link

Artist/Painter

MattCauleyArtist

Sunnyside, New York, US

To be honest, I'm a little jaded myself. There are definitely some amazing, wonderful images (and people!) on here, but I find that I'm having to sift through a lot of stuff that just isn't...  artistic. To each his own, of course, but I'm definitely looking for inspiration and collaboration (and not the tackier stuff that seems to be mostly what I find).

Some of the lists people posted here are great! It seems that if you find a good list, then you have a curated view. THAT definitely helps, and gets me fired up creatively.

Wishing you the best!

Jan 29 16 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:

I've genuinely questioned my judgement and taste upon seeing the hordes of positive comments on images that to my eye had no artistic/aesthetic merit whatsoever. It had to be me...right?

Although my favorite image of his is only an implied nude (the profile image), I'm a huge fan of AKIRA-NYC's style. He mainly shoots art/fashion nude.

I agree!

Jan 29 16 10:29 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I agree!

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me that there are a lot of positive comments on bad images or agreeing that my taste is questionable hahahaha.

Jan 29 16 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me that there are a lot of positive comments on bad images or agreeing that my taste is questionable hahahaha.

I also think that people make positive comments on bad images.   smile

Jan 29 16 11:34 am Link

Photographer

crx studios

Art of the nude wrote:
There is certainly crap around, but most of the images I see are quite well done.  Or, most of the art nudes.  I guess it depends on where you look.

Tumblr has some wonderful work, and far, far, more crap than MM.

Note I said tumblrs “if you know where to look”. And of course, even on my favorite tumblrs, there are tons of images that I’m not crazy about.

Also - I never said that all work on MM is bad. Of course there is some absolutely brilliant work here. But if you consider the overall quality of images posted on MM, along with the taste of the average member of MM, it can get pretty depressing.

Lastly, I stand by what I said. The OP will find a far higher overall caliber of images, along with a far higher ratio of good to bad, on tumblrs like the one I mentioned than on Model Mayhem. I don't see it as being even close.

Jan 29 16 11:36 am Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I also think that people make positive comments on bad images.   smile

Lol hmm

What confuses me is if they're commenting purely because it's a naked (usually) girl...aren't there plenty of photos of naked women on the Internet? Many of which, even if they are not abundant in artistic merit or creativity, are still a better quality image (in terms of lighting, photography, etc) than the ones I see being praised as "AMAZING!! Wonderful concept and execution!!!"

Is there an etiquette on MM to comment back the profiles/images of people who have complimented you?

Maybe I'm being overly critical, it's not as if my own port is that wonderful either...but as they say, you don't have to be able to lay an egg to be a good judge of an omelette.

Jan 29 16 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Here's my list of some of the most inspiring/artistic images I've found here on MM...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/220709

Of that work, I'd say Dennis Mecham is one of my favorites.  His work is so refined and thought provoking.  It's simply beautiful.  This is one of his best, in my opinion:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/3665035 (18+)

Jan 29 16 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:

Lol hmm

What confuses me is if they're commenting purely because it's a naked (usually) girl...aren't there plenty of photos of naked women on the Internet? Many of which, even if they are not abundant in artistic merit or creativity, are still a better quality image (in terms of lighting, photography, etc) than the ones I see being praised as "AMAZING!! Wonderful concept and execution!!!"

Is there an etiquette on MM to comment back the profiles/images of people who have complimented you?

Maybe I'm being overly critical, it's not as if my own port is that wonderful either...but as they say, you don't have to be able to lay an egg to be a good judge of an omelette.

I only comment on images that are good and that I like.

Jan 29 16 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:

Lol hmm

I think some people here wouldn't know a good photo if it landed on their lap.  I've seen some horrible images get the praises you're talking about, simply because the naked model had her legs spread. 

In my opinion, it's a lot like the difference between good movies and bad movies.  I've seen some utterly stupid movies (i.e. the "Fast and Furious" series, or the ridiculous monster movie reboots where someone like Abraham Lincoln has super Ninja-like fighting skills that defy the laws of gravity) that earn millions of dollars when they're released. The only thing I can think, is that viewers are reacting to how those films, just like the bad photos, make them "feel".  They're not looking for quality on an intellectual level, instead they're looking at it from an emotional one. 

I do wish they'd simply comment honestly though and write stuff like, "Wow!  That photo gave me a hard on right away!", instead of trying to bullshit their way past it by saying things like, "The execution of the lighting and the emotions you evoke in your expression are superb!..blah blah blah."  Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself, "Dude...it was shot with a point & shoot camera, with on camera flash; and the model has a ball gag in her mouth, while tied up on an ugly bedspread inside a cheap motel.  It's crap!"

But, that's just my opinion.

Jan 29 16 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Omaroo wrote:
But what is YOUR favorite?

Between the images put on my favorite list I don't have order of preference.

Jan 29 16 12:17 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Here's my list of some of the most inspiring/artistic images I've found here on MM...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/220709

Of that work, I'd say Dennis Mecham is one of my favorites.  His work is so refined and thought provoking.  It's simply beautiful.  This is one of his best, in my opinion:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/3665035 (18+)

Wow! Some amazing images in here. This one caught my eye especially because I love the vintage vibe, but too difficult to pick a favorite really...but I was an art and design major so stuff that emulates the classical arts always speaks to me.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/0 … 466e5d.jpg (18+)

Jan 29 16 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:

Wow! Some amazing images in here. This one caught my eye especially because I love the vintage vibe, but too difficult to pick a favorite really...but I was an art and design major so stuff that emulates the classical arts always speaks to me.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/0 … 466e5d.jpg (18+)

I also like the image.

Jan 29 16 12:30 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

I think some people here wouldn't know a good photo if it landed on their lap.  I've seen some horrible images get the praises you're talking about, simply because the naked model had her legs spread. 

In my opinion, it's a lot like the difference between good movies and bad movies.  I've seen some utterly stupid movies (i.e. the "Fast and Furious" series, or the ridiculous monster movie reboots where someone like Abraham Lincoln has super Ninja-like fighting skills that defy the laws of gravity) that earn millions of dollars when they're released. The only thing I can think, is that viewers are reacting to how those films, just like the bad photos, make them "feel".  They're not looking for quality on an intellectual level, instead they're looking at it from an emotional one. 

I do wish they'd simply comment honestly though and write stuff like, "Wow!  That photo gave me a hard on right away!", instead of trying to bullshit their way past it by saying things like, "The execution of the lighting and the emotions you evoke in your expression are superb!..blah blah blah."  Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself, "Dude...it was shot with a point & shoot camera, with on camera flash; and the model has a ball gag in her mouth, while tied up on an ugly bedspread inside a cheap motel.  It's crap!"

Pretty astute observations! My thinking follows along pretty much the same lines...sometimes there is nothing positive about the image save for the fact that the subject happens to be a reasonably attractive model showing their goods.

I appreciate attractive people too but I prefer to call a spade a spade instead of trying to force some philosophical concept upon a cheesy photo that is clearly nothing more than wank fodder.

Jan 29 16 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

CamelliaFlower wrote:
Pretty astute observations! My thinking follows along pretty much the same lines...sometimes there is nothing positive about the image save for the fact that the subject happens to be a reasonably attractive model showing their goods.

I appreciate attractive people too but I prefer to call a spade a spade instead of trying to force some philosophical concept upon a cheesy photo that is clearly nothing more than wank fodder.

Regardless of the subject, there will always be "good" art, and "bad" art. One recognizes a good one when he/she sees it, and enjoys it on that level, OR one enjoys it ONLY because it shows a "nice ass". It doesn't really matter - it all gets forgotten, eventually.
-Don
EDIT: What Eros Fine Art Photo says about "perfect light" or expression, is something that I agree with, it's, more often than not, BS. ! I see it all the time in MM portfolios.

Jan 29 16 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CamelliaFlower wrote:

Often times I think it simply translates to "shoot with me?"

Jan 29 16 01:36 pm Link

Model

CamelliaFlower

New York, New York, US

Wandering Eyebubble wrote:

Often times I think it simply translates to "shoot with me?"

Doubtful, I mostly see these types of comments from photog to photog.

Jan 29 16 01:44 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Figures Jen B wrote:

Are you on Model Society? It is primarily Figure/Art Nude photography.

Jen

+1

Jan 29 16 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

crx studios

Another thing - if you’re looking to be re-inspired - then you have to be ready to roll up your sleeves and explore. That’s half the fun! I look at images every day while I have my morning coffee.

Plus asking strangers makes no sense. It’s like asking a stranger to pick your music. You want to go up to someone who loves the same 3 bands that you love, and ask them what else they're listening to.

I already suggested tumblrs (provided you like the taste of the “curator”), but another great way to do it is to check out the lists that MM photographers you admire have created. It’s a brilliant way to see what inspires the people who inspire you.

Good luck in your search.

Jan 29 16 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CamelliaFlower wrote:
Doubtful, I mostly see these types of comments from photog to photog.

In that case maybe it translates to "comment on my photos?"

Jan 29 16 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Wandering Eyebubble wrote:

In that case maybe it translates to "comment on my photos?"

I get comments without doing that.

Jan 29 16 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I spent more than I ever thought I would so that I could have a print of this hanging in my home:

https://pleasurephoto.wordpress.com/201 … l-25-1996/

I guess that makes it my favorite.

Jan 29 16 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

There's entirely too much talking and too few pictures in this thread.

I've always been in awe of this photo:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/2622549

Jan 29 16 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I am on model society and have had a number of my images printed in their special editions. It's a great site for art photographers and models.

Jan 29 16 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Omaroo

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
There's entirely too much talking and too few pictures in this thread.

I've always been in awe of this photo:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/2622549

Agree, on both parts. I just wanted to see some favorites.  wink

I've always loved that photo, as well, and once had the pleasure of shooting with Sarah.

Jan 30 16 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Omaroo wrote:
Agree, on both parts. I just wanted to see some favorites.  wink

I've always loved that photo, as well, and once had the pleasure of shooting with Sarah.

I have had the pleasure of shooting with Sarah several times.   smile

18+
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 425a9e.jpg

Jan 30 16 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
I spent more than I ever thought I would so that I could have a print of this hanging in my home:

https://pleasurephoto.wordpress.com/201 … l-25-1996/

I guess that makes it my favorite.

Irving Penn exhibit had opening this past Thu
I hope to visit next week
http://www.pacemacgill.com/press_release.php?item=149

Jan 30 16 01:27 pm Link