Forums > General Industry > Posting a pre "selfie" photo

Model

KristinaBz

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

A photographer on a Facebook modeling page posted a very passive aggressive post upset that all this time was put into the shoot/make up/ lighting and the model posted a selfie after hair and make up and how she ruined the "mood/concept"
From what I gathered, it was a TF shoot and nothing stating she couldn't in the release. Others commented on how its just unprofessional of the model and its just a known "rule". I just found it interesting that this photographer got so upset.
I'd like to hear other thoughts on this.

Mar 26 16 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Never heard of it and would not mind if somebody did that, not at all.

Mar 26 16 07:17 pm Link

Model

KristinaBz

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

This is the photographers post:
"You have the perfect wardrobe, 2 hours in hair and makeup,  set and props are spot on and the photog has the lighting just right, so you post a "behind the scenes" cell phone selfie before the shoot even starts.  And the magic is gone!"

Mar 26 16 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

OK, I can understand how the photographer would feel violated.

Everybody is different, I would not care. That does not place a judgement on the situation.

To me, "the magic" would be the transformation.

It is his right to be upset in this instance.

Apologize, take the photo down and let it go.

Mar 26 16 07:33 pm Link

Model

KristinaBz

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Agreed. I guess its a thing I've never really thought of. But I shot mostly art nudes so I wouldn't be posting those on Facebook. Plus no where to put my phone.

Mar 26 16 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Stuff happens *shrug*.

On to the next...

Mar 26 16 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

It sounds like both parties involved could have communicated better.

Mar 26 16 07:41 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
OK, I can understand how the photographer would feel violated.

Everybody is different, I would not care. That does not place a judgement on the situation.

To me, "the magic" would be the transformation.

It is his right to be upset in this instance.

Apologize, take the photo down and let it go.

The selfie was AFTER hair and makeup so there is no transformation shown.

It's an unwritten rule you don't do this. Makeup artists get in trouble all the time for not asking permission. I feel the model should ask permission too.

Mar 26 16 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Isis22 wrote:

The selfie was AFTER hair and makeup so there is no transformation shown.

It's an unwritten rule you don't do this. Makeup artists get in trouble all the time for not asking permission. I feel the model should ask permission too.

Thanks for the clarity and I totally agree with you about sneaking a selfie at an arranged shoot like this. Not a classy move on the model's part. I think if I were the photographer that I would have tried to handle this privately though, Facebook is a shitshow just waiting to happen. One bad does not justify another.

Mar 26 16 08:01 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

KristinaBz wrote:
A photographer on a Facebook modeling page posted a very passive aggressive post upset that all this time was put into the shoot/make up/ lighting and the model posted a selfie after hair and make up and how she ruined the "mood/concept"
From what I gathered, it was a TF shoot and nothing stating she couldn't in the release. Others commented on how its just unprofessional of the model and its just a known "rule". I just found it interesting that this photographer got so upset.

I think it is common courtesy to ask permission before posting any bts shots , (and most definitely,) while you are actually on the set and the shoot hasn't even started yet.

So, I don't think the photographer being upset was passive aggressive I think it was selfish and one sided of you to post the bts shot before the shoot even happened.

I'm with the photographer here.
Jen

Mar 26 16 08:05 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

KristinaBz wrote:
"You have the perfect wardrobe, 2 hours in hair and makeup,  set and props are spot on and the photog has the lighting just right, so you post a "behind the scenes" cell phone selfie before the shoot even starts.  And the magic is gone!"

I don't see anything passive aggressive about this.

However, as for the magic being gone, well, yeah, you showed your hand that you weren't in this for everyone on set but, that this was your own little world.

Jen
p.s. edit, so, def apologize and take the picture down and next time, ask first.

Mar 26 16 08:07 pm Link

Model

KristinaBz

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

For the record I am not the model in this scenario.

Mar 26 16 08:09 pm Link

Model

KristinaBz

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Jen B wrote:

I think it is common courtesy to ask permission before posting any bts shots , (and most definitely,) while you are actually on the set and the shoot hasn't even started yet.

So, I don't think the photographer being upset was passive aggressive I think it
was selfish and one sided of you to post the bts shot before the shoot even happened.

I'm with the photographer here.
Jen

I am not the model in this scenario. It was a post on Facebook.

Mar 26 16 08:12 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Tiffany_B

Atlanta, Georgia, US

KristinaBz wrote:

Personally, I don't think the photographer was wrong for being upset. Regardless of the fact that it was a TF* shoot it is in my opinion disrespectful to post behind the scenes images of a shoot without explicit permission or purpose. When I handle art direction or run point on a shoot I let everyone know that they're not allowed to take these types of images OR that if they do they need to get the okay from everyone else whose work is involved AND that they can't post them until the edited images go live.

Mar 26 16 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

nyk fury

Port Townsend, Washington, US

the photographer is a dipshit. nothing else to say about it.

Mar 26 16 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Say what you will about morals and ethics, but I fail to see how this is anything other than good publicity.

At least until the photographer shat all over it.

As to 'maintaining the purity of art' ... How many photographers held in the MoMA, ICP, Whitney, etc collections regularly have a couple hours of makeup  before a shoot? I'm pretty sure there are about five.

The photographer may have very technically been in the right, but he (she?) has no idea what game he's playing.

Mar 26 16 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It simply courteous to check first before anyone shoots anything "behind the scenes".  An extreme example is when you set up a very special set, outfits, make-up, and get the posing "just right" for submission for publication, and having someone quickly snap it over your shoulder.  And then compound it by publicly posting it (without checking first). 

A model also might not be thrilled that a "before make-up" behind the scenes shot is posted, without any discussion of it.  As always, good communication is key.

Having said that, it sounds like it wasn't an "over the shoulder / on set" shot, so a bit of an overreaction. After all, don't sweat the small stuff!

Mar 26 16 09:56 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oh Christ, the magic.
that apparently can't hold its own against a selfie.

Mar 26 16 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Laura UnBound wrote:
Oh Christ, the magic.

LOL.

Mar 27 16 12:14 am Link

Model

KristinaBz

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Oh Christ, the magic.

Haha it was a pretty good selfie.

Mar 27 16 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Think of it as makeup artist hired to do the makeup of a bride, shoots a BTS shot of the bride dressed and with fabulous makeup in the dressing room, and then SHARES that photo. The groom and the wedding guests and everyone on the MUA friends list get to see the bride in the dress in a selfie, before the bride even gets a chance to walk down the aisle. "The big reveal" is gone. After months of hard work and dieting and planning, that makeup artist stole the bride's moments of, "Oooh!"s and "Ah!"s from her guests.

When a group of people spend money, time, and a lot of effort into creating something that was supposed to have impact with an element of surprise, but the impact was dulled because the model decided to share the a selfie, she is being selfish.

Mar 27 16 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Culturally Destitute

Seattle, Washington, US

Model was in the wrong. Take down pic and apologize.
Photog seems to be an over reactive prick. Needs to grow a pair.

Would the 'magic' have disappeared if the photographer had not known the pic was posted?

Mar 27 16 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah -- that wouldn't bother me much.  It's not like a cell phone selfie will be able to compete with the image quality I expect to be able to create, with my lighting, camera, and direction.

The only thing that might bother me a tad would be if the selfie slowed things down and/or pulled focus from the work we were doing.

With all good will possible, I hope that this is the worst problem this photographer will face.

Mar 27 16 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

What is it with people and their damn cell phone photos?  Just experience the thing happening right now.  There is no need to take a photo of EVERYTHING!!!  I'm a photographer and I rarely whip out my cell phone to take a photo.  Of anything!  I'm there.  I see it.  I'm experiencing it.  I'll remember it. 

Trust me, nobody really cares what your doing, eating, seeing, etc.  They really don't.

This would be equal to constantly inviting people over to your house to show your vacation slides/movies like they did way back when.  YAWN!!!!!

Mar 27 16 08:35 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Mike Collins wrote:
What is it with people and their damn cell phone photos?  Just experience the thing happening right now.  There is no need to take a photo of EVERYTHING!!!  I'm a photographer and I rarely whip out my cell phone to take a photo.  Of anything!  I'm there.  I see it.  I'm experiencing it.  I'll remember it. 

Trust me, nobody really cares what your doing, eating, seeing, etc.  They really don't.

This would be equal to constantly inviting people over to your house to show your vacation slides/movies like they did way back when.  YAWN!!!!!

I think it's stupid too. But it's the culture.

SMART business people embrace it. Wouldn't you love if Gigi Hadid tweeted a photo like this from your shoot? It's free publicity, and you don't even have to do anything to get it.

All this anger is primarily coming from people that think fashion photography is anything other than a business. Sure your vision matters, but it is a business first and foremost, even if the shots are just going into a gallery.

Nobody ever succeeded in the photo world without business acumen. Without a business-minded person getting involved, Vivian Meier's work would still be in that storage unit.

If more people see your work, more people buy it or hire you. If a model is so psyched that they're posting online, then all the better.

This is no different than someone test driving a preproduction car, and then breaking the DND contract to talk about how awesome it is, and they can't wait to see the finished one.

Sure they broke a contract, but ... Does anyone really care? It did much more good than harm.

Save the outrage for when people post preproduction images to talk shit.

Mar 27 16 08:48 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The "worst case scenario" has nothing to do with the photographer's "magic", or the quality of the photo / lighting, etc.

Some will be aware of publishers with rules such as "submissions will not be considered if they have been previously posted anywhere on the internet". Where each publisher draws the line (exact pictures, or anything from the same series, etc) varies. It just depends how picky they want to be.  But it's just a lot easier to have a completely clean bill of health (just say 'yes, everything complies"), instead of having a trivial exception.

I realize this is old news / standard operating procedure for many of you.  However in this case, it's probably not something being shot for possible publication, so it's probably just an overreaction.

Mar 27 16 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

nyk fury wrote:
the photographer is a dipshit. nothing else to say about it.

Yup, and nobody cares, either.
-Don

Mar 27 16 11:10 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mike Collins wrote:

Except people do care. Its how models get over 100k followers on instagram and Facebook. They're not posting finished photos, theyre posting bathroom selfies and photos of their cats and their food and new outfits and yes, BTS photos of the shoots theyre on.

BTS work helps "regular people" understand and relate. Check any models tumblr and she's got dozens of "whats modelling really like, how do your shoots work, what happens on a shoot?" questions from strangers who are curious and don't have any idea what goes on for artists. Regular people are your fans. Regular people are the ones who buy your work and chip in on your patreon and buy shit off your wishlist and whatnot. A lot of regular people are the ones who help freelancers keep food on the table.

If you know how to work it properly, BTS/seflie shots can be very valuable.

Besides all that, just because you have a great memory doesn't mean you always will, or that everyone else has one and will always have one. If people didn't actually want to see what you ate for lunch or 400 photos of your baby nephew even though you posted 200 photos of the same kid a week ago, they'd never actually react to it, would they? But people do.

Mar 27 16 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

KristinaBz wrote:

Silly man!  Magic doesn't disappear because of selfies!  lol 

I love behind the scenes images.  Never hurts me or my photography.

Mar 27 16 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Culturally Destitute wrote:
Model was in the wrong. Take down pic and apologize.
Photog seems to be an over reactive prick. Needs to grow a pair.

Would the 'magic' have disappeared if the photographer had not known the pic was posted?

And the answer is "of course not!"

Mar 27 16 02:41 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have had photographers take (and post on Facebook) "behind the scenes" shots, during times when I was getting ready, or having an MUA put makeup on me. One person told me that it "builds excitement to see the shots" among those who followed his work. I wouldn't be inclined to do that myself, but plenty of photographers seem to.

Mar 27 16 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Laura UnBound wrote:
Except people do care. Its how models get over 100k followers on instagram and Facebook. They're not posting finished photos, theyre posting bathroom selfies and photos of their cats and their food and new outfits and yes, BTS photos of the shoots theyre on.

BTS work helps "regular people" understand and relate. Check any models tumblr and she's got dozens of "whats modelling really like, how do your shoots work, what happens on a shoot?" questions from strangers who are curious and don't have any idea what goes on for artists. Regular people are your fans. Regular people are the ones who buy your work and chip in on your patreon and buy shit off your wishlist and whatnot. A lot of regular people are the ones who help freelancers keep food on the table.

Besides all that, just because you have a great memory doesn't mean you always will, or that everyone else has one and will always have one. If people didn't actually want to see what you ate for lunch or 400 photos of your baby nephew even though you posted 200 photos of the same kid a week ago, they'd never actually react to it, would they? But people do.

You bring up some what I call valid points that I agree with! 

It never ceases to amaze me what some photographers will complain about, and even some models too.  Times have changed.  Before the Internet, photographers shot with film, and no doubt, they probably got more respect for it. Heck, photographer Jim Marshall used to be able to get into concerts like the Monterey Pop and backstage just because he carried some Nikon cameras.  I met him before he died, and heard about the "good old days" ... well now if you want to shoot a concert, you better have some clot with online sites, and jump through the hoops to get your photo pass.  However, don't be disappointed when you turn around to see several thousand cellphone cameras in the air shooting the concert as well!   "What magic?"

Want to feel overwhelmed as a photographer?  Think about this for a minute;  "Facebook revealed in a white paper that its users have uploaded more than 250 billion photos, and are uploading 350 million new photos each day. To put that into perspective, that would mean that each of Facebook's 1.15 billion users have uploaded an average of 217 photos apiece."   -Sep 18, 2013

So you see, it's kinda silly to worry about selfies.  At the sametime that the Internet and digital technology has made photography far more accessible to more people than ever before, it has also created a need for a constant supply of images that is like a thirst that shall never be quenched!  Sometimes I miss the "good old days" when film was all we could shoot, and it seemed more treasured.  Those were some fun times for me.  However, I'm keeping a positive attitude, as I am enjoying the digital revolution and I wont let a "selfie" spoil my magic!   Any photographer or model who has a problem with a few certain images being on the Internet, the answer is to shoot a bunch more!  At least that is the way I look at it.  "Don't worry about it!"

Mar 27 16 03:12 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Some people are really touchy about behind the scenes photos, so it's always a good idea to ask before even taking them.

Mar 27 16 08:38 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Los Angeles, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

+100

Mar 27 16 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

I think it's lame as shit but I am highly biased - I think (most) selfies are dumb as shit. I don't give two fucks that a lot of Instagram fuckwads racked up lots of followers or likes with that shit. Just reaffirms my sentiment that IG isnot that cool.
Says so right on my own IG - "Fuck social media."

And I should clarify that a shot sorta "on set here at this place blah blah" sorta recording the event is kinda OK. But that whole shit trying to look cool and preening with the goddamn arm stretched out . . . . argh. And what the fuck is it with all the idiots in the front seat of car doing shit? Don't they know how idiotic they look? Fuck yeah, check me out, got my seat belt on! WAAHOOOOO!!! And I've been saying forever that someone should do a piano key seat belt cover as THE fashion accessory for those dipshits. It would sell like crazy and Mugatu would be proud.

https://burnurmoney.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mugatu-Piano-Key-Necktie.jpg

ETA
I think if she wants to do a before and after, she should follow along with a Youtube "guru" and have at it that way.

https://nowaygirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/youtube-makeup-fail-01.jpg

Mar 27 16 09:39 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mortonovich wrote:
I think it's lame as shit but I am highly biased - I think (most) selfies are dumb as shit. I don't give two fucks that a lot of Instagram fuckwads racked up lots of followers or likes with that shit. Just reaffirms my sentiment that IG isnot that cool.
Says so right on my own IG - "Fuck social media."

And I should clarify that a shot sorta "on set here at this place blah blah" sorta recording the event is kinda OK. But that whole shit trying to look cool and preening with the goddamn arm stretched out . . . . argh. And what the fuck is it with all the idiots in the front seat of car doing shit? Don't they know how idiotic they look? Fuck yeah, check me out, got my seat belt on! WAAHOOOOO!!! And I've been saying forever that someone should do a piano key seat belt cover as THE fashion accessory for those dipshits. It would sell like crazy and Mugatu would be proud.

https://burnurmoney.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mugatu-Piano-Key-Necktie.jpg

Again, but this time with feeling!

Mar 27 16 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

Those are finished photos. Photojournalists shoot JPEGs because it's unethical to edit. Plenty shoot iPhone photos.

For many people an IG photo is a professional use. The type of camera used doesn't make it unfinished. I can see calling it a documentary photo rather than an art photo, but neither the type of camera used nor the fact that it's self-shot makes it any less of a photo.

And they must be pretty good if the photographer doesn't believe they can blow them away with their DSLR and lights.

Mar 27 16 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

David T Thrower

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

The magic would seemingly be gone when someone completely loses their cool, like the photographer did. If there are reasons not to post bts images, simply ask for it/them to be taken down and clarify the rule. Tension kills creativity. $.02

Mar 28 16 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Just post outside the door, "This is a no selfie zone", along with making it part of one's standard spiel during initial communications with the model/photographer/MUA/Hairstylist. If it's spelled out before hand, then I'm sure people would be more careful. If they still decide to sneak one in, then they don't deserve to be worked with again.

Mar 28 16 08:28 am Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I can see the concern if the shoot was some kind of unveiling of a piece of wardrobe or a headdress or something, but just a shot of the makeup? That really shouldn't be a big deal. I've been doing those lately to share with my Patrons, but I always ask the photographer first if it's anything beyond me doing my own makeup and styling.

Mar 28 16 05:19 pm Link