Forums > Critique > Are there too many "unprofessional" shots in port?

Makeup Artist

beautybykatealece

Sacramento, California, US

I have only recently started getting professional photographs of my work. I take a lot of my pictures with my iPhone, and I use them in my portfolio. My question is, are these good enough? Or should i take all my iphone pics down and only post pro photos?

Apr 05 16 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Maxfield Photography

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I see a lot of MUAs and stylists with cell phone pics in their port, it's not uncommon. However, when considering who to hire for a serious photoshoot, I would probably pick the MUA with the best looking photos regardless of whether or not they have the best make-up skills. In other words, decent make-up skills and professional photos gets you hired over killer make-up skills and low quality photos, at least in my book. If you do any test shooting, make sure to ask the photographer to get you some close up headshots for your portfolio, or if it's a paid shoot, you might need to license the photos, but first ask if you may use them for free for promotional purposes.

Also, a few before and after shots are ok, but you don't need every image to be a b&a. Model Mayhem limits image width to 800 pixels, so make the most of the space that you are given. Don't be afraid to crop foreheads out.

Apr 05 16 03:07 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

beautybykatealece wrote:
I have only recently started getting professional photographs of my work. I take a lot of my pictures with my iPhone, and I use them in my portfolio. My question is, are these good enough? Or should i take all my iphone pics down and only post pro photos?

Many people say that having even one cell phone photo in a portfolio is the kiss of death, because it's considered unprofessional and no one will take you seriously if you aren't even taking the time to get quality photos to represent your work.

It may be far more crucial for a model or a photographer than it is for a makeup artist, however if I were searching for a makeup artist and looked at their photos, I would quickly move on to look somewhere else if I found cell phone photos in their portfolio.

Also, I definitely need to see before and after photos, not showing those would be another immediate deal breaker. It's not usually possible from looking at only the after photo to determine exactly what has been done.

Apr 05 16 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

RTE Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Some of todays cell phones can take amazing pictures if they are used properly. Try to get the same framing and pose in each shot and make sure the color temps match in both pictures.

Apr 05 16 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Yes. Before/afters are cute for Facebook but even then, you want to show proper, crafted, thought out photos.

Apr 05 16 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ike Lace Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

cheap product, cheap result

Apr 05 16 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Elm Diaz

Los Angeles, California, US

Depends on the audience you're trying to reach. If it was me I would get professional photos.

Apr 05 16 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Before and after photos are particularly useful for MUAs, but you need to get the lighting the same and you need to get the colour temperatures right.

You can get by with a cell phone, but its short focal length will always give less flattering results than you would get with a longer focal length.

Apr 06 16 12:36 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

when I worked in the old days, I would ask the mua to show a bunch of polaroids.  That was enough for me.  I never cared if it was lit or shot by pros.  I know what I am looking at.  Now people seem hung up on presentation.  Most good photographers understand and can see good contouring, matching skin tones well and small adjustments to make the face symmetrical as well as problems.  The camera phone is enough for me.

Apr 06 16 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I judge a port's images by the type of artist they are; quality of imagery if you're a photographer, modeling ability, emoting, and pose variety for models, and makeup skill for MUAs. So, as an MUA, I am not going to look at image quality and posing when looking through your port.

HOWEVER, since MUA deals a lot with color and shading, you need images that reproduce color and shading accurately in your port. Oversaturated and low vibrancy images are no good to me when looking at an MUA's port when deciding to hire him/her. I need to see how well you work with the model's natural skin tone and a cell phone pic isn't going to achieve that.

Carrying around a Point-N-Shoot would give you better images. As a courtesy to photographers would be working with, just let them know you will be taking BTS makeup shots. You never know if he or the model was planning on submitting images to a magazine that won't publish previously seen works, even as a BTS.

Apr 06 16 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Julietsdream

Burbank, California, US

*When I look for a MUA....I like to see the *Killer* end result...but usually I can tell from any shots they might have.....if I can get from them, what I need for the pictures I am taking....!!..I would consider you more of a 'pro'....if your shots reflected that as well....(I never mind giving any shots to the MUA....as well as anyone who participated in the shoot)....!!
...So for now...I think your shots will do...but as you get more shots done...use the better ones...always..!!

Apr 06 16 08:47 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

I prefer to see professional looking imagery. I try and take before and after shots for my MUA's. It only takes a moment, and if you're there working with a photographer anyway, I doubt too many would mind taking a specific couple of shots for you if you asked. Your port will only look better for it.

Is it wrong to have phone shots? No, I see my MUA's do it all the time. Does it look better to have the photographer do it? I think so.

Apr 06 16 08:48 am Link