Forums > General Industry > Getting quality models without breaking the bank

Photographer

Adam John Austin

Denver, Colorado, US

I have been doing photography for about two years now and would like to think I'm a halfway decent photographer. There really isn't a big model base in Champaign where my studio is located. I end up having to try and get models to come here or going to them and it ends up costing quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can get quality models without breaking the bank.

Apr 08 16 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

contact agencies, offer to test.

Apr 08 16 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Consider going to an area that has a larger selection of models and schedule four or five in a three day period.  Hopefully it is close enough where it only costs you lodging.  The suggestion of testing with an agency is a good thought if there are any real agencies in your area.

Apr 08 16 04:12 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Falls Church, Virginia, US

Since you literally live in the middle of nowhere, (135 miles from Chicago, 124 miles from Indianapolis, 178 miles from St. Louis), you have 3 choices.

1) the most obvious is to move to an area with a larger model base.
2) take a second job and hustle to make more money so that you can afford to travel to a major city or so that you can pay models to travel to you.
3) look harder in your area. I know a city of 90,000 people is a small town compared to New York or LA but have you really looked that hard for models? A lot also depends on your definition of "quality." Sure you won't find fashion models with legit runway experience on Main Street Champaign unless they are visiting granny but a little more dedication to your search and recruiting techniques might help. How do you currently search? Set up meet & greets at your studio, hit all of the area colleges, post ads in college news papers. I'm sure that there are dozens of marketing and recruiting things that you can do in your area to grow your business. You just need more hustle and think outside of the box.

Apr 08 16 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Most models I've hired have been $20/hour for clothed work, $30/hour for nudes.  Most travel 100 miles round trip to shoot with me, as I live in a much smaller area than you do!

The vast majority of the models I get at those rates, willing to travel are fairly new, wanting to gain more experience.  It's a short window of opportunity to get those models and high turn over.  Most will give up trying to become a model within a few months if not sooner.  The few that become successful and have other opportunities closer to home, are not likely to travel at those rates.  I find models at this stage require a fair bit of communication and are likely to cancel especially given the travel distance.  It's work.  Sometimes I may line up a couple shoots with little effort, other times it may be a bust.  A fairly low percent of my shoots these days are from MM.  It seems most who fill out a MM model profile are unlikely to ever shoot with someone they don't know.

A few things I've found helpful in lining up such models:

1.  I book 4 days to 10 days in advance.  Any longer than that with such models and they may have already lost interest in modeling.  Their period of commitment is fairly short.

2.  I now always get a phone number.  Models who are not committed will be very hesitant to give their phone number.

3.  I do a confirmation email about 2-3 days prior and a confirmation call 1 hour prior.

4.  I'll do maybe 3 back and forth emails answer questions, giving information, etc. and at that point, I want them to book.  If they are unwilling at that point, I drop them and move on.  Odds are, if they won't commit then, they never will be truly committed.   Similarly, I don't chase models who drop communications.

Apr 08 16 07:00 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Move to Baltimore

Apr 08 16 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Look at it from the potential model's perspective:  what are you offering that makes working with you worth their while?  Sure -- offering them money is an obvious choice, but it is not the only choice.  Other things that you might be able to offer:

...  Superior quality images
...  Exciting, adventurous, and unusual projects
...  Offering shoots with hair, makeup, wardrobe stylists
...  Trade is not just for images
...  Networking connections -- can you introduce the model to other photographers
...  Participation in an artistic community

I think that if budget is a primary concern for you, you may need to spend the extra effort in developing talent in your area.  For example, I once got myself attached to a local community theater, and I did tons of things for/with them, like headshots for the lobby, lighting design, help running lines, and so forth.  Some of those actors eventually became models.

But in general, the less you want to / can pay, the harder you'll have to work.

Good luck.

Apr 08 16 07:29 am Link

Model

Account subscribed

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

EVERCHANGE Productions wrote:
I have been doing photography for about two years now and would like to think I'm a halfway decent photographer. There really isn't a big model base in Champaign where my studio is located. I end up having to try and get models to come here or going to them and it ends up costing quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can get quality models without breaking the bank.

I live in the capital of Sweden and I guess it is easier but I travel around in the country as long as there are public transports and I reckon the conditions are fair and the compensation enough. I can not really get why you have so hard to find models. What is a quality model to you? Perhaps your search criterion has to be refined.  Last week I did a TF from 9.30 in the morning until 10.30 that evening and loved every second of it. Have you ever tried Sweden smile Perhaps you should do like some photographers did during the early 80's and travel around for a long period and develop afterwards when you get home. That is nostalgia and where it all started.....

Apr 08 16 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

I end up having to try and get models to come here or going to them and it ends up costing quite a bit.

Yeah, that's how it is. It's like wanting to go skiing when you live in Nebraska. Gotta go somewhere else.

Or else if you're in your 20's, go to the cool bars where the hip kids hang out. Stay till the wee hours and make
friends with the beautiful people and take their pictures.

But really, your best option is to make trips to Chicago and try to line up some agency tests. I make regular day trips
up to L.A. myself in order to test.

Apr 08 16 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

You have to have the kind of imagery that agencies can use.   Chicago has several great agencies.  OP look  look here: http://www.factorchosenchicago.com/division/women/    http://models.fordmodels.com/models/42    If this is what you want to try for I suggest finding two agency level fashion models and emulating what you see on those linked sites.   Once you have two find a good MUA.   After make a few 11x14.    Keep in mind agencies have lots of photographers approach them to test.   How far are you from U of I?   The school has a newspaper.   Can you advertise there?   http://www.dailyillini.com/page/classif … ainID=2430

You may have to rent a Chicago space as I don't think most of the agencies will send models to your  Champaign location.   Consider doing some of the meet up groups or create your own and also using Facebook or CL.   Keep in mind agency models won't sign releases for test shoots.   I used the browse feature and found a lot of models.   I would contact some.   Use your studio zip code to narrow the options.

Apr 08 16 11:27 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

If you offer the type of images models need for their portfolios, they will work with you for trade. However, that OFTEN means being willing to consider shooting their ideas (as well as your own) and possibly letting them select which images they want edited from the shoot - rather than sending 2 or 3 finished images of your choice. Being willing to split the cost of an MUA with models, and having access to some reliable MUAs is also a valuable incentive.

Then, of course, actually sending the model their finished images after the fact. If you build a reputation of sending back strong images, in the time frame that was originally agreed upon, you will be far more successful with finding a reliable group of models who'll trade with you.

There is no limit to the amount of photographers seeking models for trade work, but many want the models to drive 150 miles to them, each way. They also only want to shoot their ideas (which often will not benefit a model portfolio), have the model arrive prepared to do complicated and expertly applied makeup, cover cost of wardrobe and props for his ideas - then never follow up with images after the shoot. OR, send the model two images, six months later, neither of which she can use because they are not applicable to the content/genre of her portfolio, or only show off the photographers' skillset, but not the model's physical beauty, agility, charisma or posing skill.

Be someone who takes good care of your models and understands that what they need in a portfolio is different than what you need in a portfolio - and you should have no problems. I was a traveling, pro nude model for about ten years - and (when I was traveling) would have been excited to shoot trade with someone offering the types of images that are in your portfolio. But, only if I felt confident you could reproduce the same style and look with me, and would reciprocate my time and travel investment by making sure to follow through with your end of the deal after the shoot.

Another thing to consider - when a model agrees to shoot with you, she is agreeing to create the same type of work she has seen already in your portfolio. She likes that and believes she could also benefit by having what she sees in your port, in hers. I can't tell you the number of times I agreed to trade with people who, after I got to the shoot, wanted to "try something a little different," and then I ended up wasting a day creating images I couldn't use. Most of us are pretty mild-mannered and aren't going to argue if the person we're working with decides to suddenly experiment, but we are likely to feel frustrated afterwards, when we agree to shoot one thing (because it would be beneficial) and end up with something totally different.

Apr 08 16 11:48 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

You have Chicago listed as a location in your profile, but you're not in Chicago.
As was said, Chicago has some strong fashion agencies and the look they like tends to lean more toward east coast than the easy-breezy west coast style, which is good if you're after doing fashion. So, if you're serious move to Chicago rather than Champaign. Having said that, if you just want to shoot pretty girls and not interested in upping your game to agency level fashion - You're in a college town, so the streets should be littered with pretty girls. I started with the agencies in Chicago.

Apr 08 16 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

The industry and strong model base in your area is clearly in Chicago.  You need to shoot there to make it easier to get top talent and build your business network. If you rent a studio/hotel/location there for a few days or regularly, you will have much more luck finding agency level girls for test.  Working with top models from agencies means that you need real fashion models in your portfolio, and you need to get rid of models in your book that don't show you work at that level.  You should also hire real MUAs in Chicago who may have personal connections with several top models for tests.

Apr 09 16 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

When I started out, I found models through the colleges that were near me.  Doing a quick Google search, I found there are from 5 to 10 colleges within a 25 to 50 mile radius of Champaign, Illinois.  Check the theater department, dance and music departments.  You'll find students who need or want to be photographed. Some you might have to pay, some will TFP with you, but you might even find some will pay you.   Good luck!

Apr 09 16 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

You could always produce kick ass photo's where the models would be willing to make the drive to get them..  Until then you're gonna need to pay.

Apr 09 16 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I can get quality models without breaking the bank.

Could try anything from...

- persuading people w/ an idea that isn't remotely along the lines everyone else is doing

- approaching people off the street. (Whatever you say in your pitch, don't use "model" or "art". There are just way to many ways a person can take it in ways that you probably wouldn't have intended.)

- having access to a locale that's either hard to come by, unique, or overlooked by everyone else (if not all three).

- offering lodging to traveling models. Many will shoot time for lodging.

- teaming up financially with another photographer who might be interested in hiring the same model.

- offering quality content they can use. Yes, every photographer thinks they can offer every model quality content. The reality is is that many models have been doing what they do for so long, they simply have no need for more pictures.

- going old school. Try posting fliers at the local universities. Double achievement points if you get an "in" through a sorority.

Apr 12 16 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

FilmmakerDC wrote:
Since you literally live in the middle of nowhere, (135 miles from Chicago, 124 miles from Indianapolis, 178 miles from St. Louis), you have 3 choices.

1) the most obvious is to move to an area with a larger model base.
2) take a second job and hustle to make more money so that you can afford to travel to a major city or so that you can pay models to travel to you.
3) look harder in your area. I know a city of 90,000 people is a small town compared to New York or LA but have you really looked that hard for models? A lot also depends on your definition of "quality." Sure you won't find fashion models with legit runway experience on Main Street Champaign unless they are visiting granny but a little more dedication to your search and recruiting techniques might help. How do you currently search? Set up meet & greets at your studio, hit all of the area colleges, post ads in college news papers. I'm sure that there are dozens of marketing and recruiting things that you can do in your area to grow your business. You just need more hustle and think outside of the box.

Actually it sounds like he is relatively close to 3 decent markets

I would look to making friends with photographers who have studios in each of these cities ,or who rent studio space and go from there

Being a "decent "photographer ( as you describe yourself ) should get you decent models

Becoming a better photographer will attract better models

Paying of course , will  also enable you to work with a few of those better models.  And filling your port with decent photographs of great models - can make a photographer look better than they are ( as in my case )

Apr 12 16 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

When I joined MM there was a NY  female photographer with fantastic work.   She offered free test shoots as a way of trying to give back but stopped after a few flakes.   Having great work means little to models who often have no idea what good is.   If you want to shoot a variety of pretty girls they're everywhere but if you want to shoot actual fashion or commercial models you have to connect with an agency.   I have no idea what the OP goals are.   One way to work with more models is to go to fashion shows.   Designers usually want new shots of their designs.   OP the Midwest Beauty show just left but there are smaller ones coming.   

One of the best ways to get fashion or commercial models is based on having clients who use agency models.   What cracks me up is the if your work is great you'll get great models argument.   Richard Avedon could be here and get flakes or 'interested' from models who would then ask how much they would be paid to shoot.

Apr 12 16 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

shoot less often, pay more

pay the price for good models.. and since they are on the hook for driving the 3 or 4 hours round trip anyway - get your ducks in order and shoot for 3 hours or so  all the stuff you been thinking about

you will have plenty of images to mess around with until you can afford to hire for your next shoot

your pix will be better too as you will have thought them thru first

Apr 13 16 11:20 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

^ basically.

Don't settle for so-so models every weekend, save up and shoot one great model all day once a month. It's not breaking the bank if you save and budget for it properly.

Apr 13 16 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Laura UnBound wrote:
^ basically.

Don't settle for so-so models every weekend, save up and shoot one great model all day once a month. It's not breaking the bank if you save and budget for it properly.

I agree with this

Apr 13 16 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Laura UnBound wrote:
^ basically.

Why stop there? Why settle for a great model once a month when you could work with a really great model once a year? Better yet, save a life's savings, and work with a 'once in a lifetime' model. It's not breaking the bank if you save and budget for it properly.

I would move to a larger market. Well, I am in a similar situation. And, I plan on moving to a larger market. I got this idea when I noticed some of the good models in my 100 miles radius were moving to larger markets.

Apr 13 16 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Just an observation:  there is another thread on the Mapplethorpe cable TV documentary.  The observation is that Mapplethorpe didn't photograph models, he photographed friends & lovers.

Isn't that how most of us started out, photographing people we knew, people we were hanging out with?  When did we decide that photographing strangers ("models" or people on the street or whatever) was better than photographing intimate friends?  How did that happen?

Something to think about.

Apr 13 16 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

goofus  wrote:
shoot less often, pay more

pay the price for good models.. and since they are on the hook for driving the 3 or 4 hours round trip anyway - get your ducks in order and shoot for 3 hours or so  all the stuff you been thinking about

you will have plenty of images to mess around with until you can afford to hire for your next shoot

your pix will be better too as you will have thought them thru first

Probably the biggest misconception on the Internet is that model cost is directly proportional to quality. Model cost is much more proportional to photographer quality - then of course there's the "real" commercial market, where usage is the driving factor.

Apr 13 16 10:06 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DCurtis wrote:

Why stop there? Why settle for a great model once a month when you could work with a really great model once a year? Better yet, save a life's savings, and work with a 'once in a lifetime' model. It's not breaking the bank if you save and budget for it properly.

I would move to a larger market. Well, I am in a similar situation. And, I plan on moving to a larger market. I got this idea when I noticed some of the good models in my 100 miles radius were moving to larger markets.

/shrug priorities. If you wanna shoot karlie kloss without "breaking the bank" then yeah, you're gonna be putting pennies away for the next decade, if that's what you REALLY WANT you figure it out and save. "Breaking the bank" would be mortgaging your house so you can schedule it next weekend because you just can't wait.

The OP also could benefit from moving but since I have absolutely no idea how truly feasible it is for them to just pick up their home and move it because of their inability to book models... I figured I'd go with something terribly easy, which is just save some cash. The vast majority of people who ask about how to get better models and not pay an arm and a leg are trying to book multiple shoots in a month at lower rates, they're getting models who are just okay at those rates, and they're not getting the images they want and feel ripped off in the end. The secret is stop shooting 10 times a month and just save a little more cash to afford the better model. You're not gonna get them to negotiate their rates down just cuz you can't afford it, especially if they have to travel as far outside their work zone as the OP lives, so that's it. You just save better.

Apr 14 16 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photographers looking to become working pros MUST establish a relationship with agencies.   You have to be able to work with agency acceptable or signed models.   I don't know working pros who pay models for tests or port building.   Its all done through trade.   Their is no saving up for 'better' models.   Shooting the girl next door or personal friends is fine for practice or to test a location but not when the plan is to approach clients who you want to pay you.   Sometimes you can get lucky and find usable models from sites like this but in general you have to shoot working or developing models from agencies.

Maybe the OP could try to assist a Chicago fashion or commercial shooter.   I always suggest joining the PPA:   http://www.ppa.com/   If the plan is just to shoot pretty people then their lots of them here but if the focus is having a book that gets you paid work then every day folks, lovers and friends or models from sites like this won't generally cut it.   If you want to work in the industry then get to the agencies.   I'm not saying their is anything wrong with paying and its something that may be helpful to amateurs and certainly art shooters.

Apr 14 16 12:08 am Link

Photographer

JHLePhotography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Once you start testing with Agencies, your Workflow & Portfolio should get better. Agency Models are quite often reliable, and everything becomes more professional when you're dealing with people who take business seriously.

Apr 14 16 08:40 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

It would help if you state your intentions.  If you want to shoot more pretty girls than the ones in your area you can offer cash to models to drive to you or you can move to Chicago.  If you are trying to turn pro with a portfolio you can look for clients that will hire models.  This will give you instant access to more models.

Apr 15 16 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

martin b wrote:
It would help if you state your intentions.  If you want to shoot more pretty girls than the ones in your area you can offer cash to models to drive to you or you can move to Chicago.  If you are trying to turn pro with a portfolio you can look for clients that will hire models.  This will give you instant access to more models.

Good point.

Apr 16 16 12:41 am Link

Photographer

ddtphoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hate to be so blunt but you probably should just move to Chicago if you're serious about it. Chicago has a pretty decent model base, and you'd have the opportunity to get involved in the photo scene here which is pretty substantial.

Besides that all I could say is to do your own scouting. When I was in college that was before MM or most internet modeling resources were really an option. I used to get models through friends of friends, people who waited on me in restaurants, and even just walking up to them on the street or approaching on an el train. Carry a promo piece with your contact info on it.

It also depends on what you're trying to shoot. If you're wanting a "fashion" portfolio you may have a tough time finding quality talent. However if you're wanting to build something more commercial like lifestyles, athletic, etc... then you could probably find some decent talent with your own scouting.

Apr 16 16 07:27 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

FilmmakerDC wrote:
Since you literally live in the middle of nowhere, (135 miles from Chicago, 124 miles from Indianapolis, 178 miles from St. Louis)

A two and a half hour drive from 3000 listed MM models ... I don't think "middle of nowhere" means what you think it means.

Apr 25 16 07:02 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

BTHPhoto wrote:

A two and a half hour drive from 3000 listed MM models ... I don't think "middle of nowhere" means what you think it means.

Sure, compared to Fairbanks.

Apr 25 16 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

You live with a big unitversity.  Do great work.  Does UI have dance, theater, art school?

Apr 25 16 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

BTHPhoto wrote:

And why would a Chicago model choose the time and expense of traveling 5 hours round trip for a shoot that pays no more than a Chicago area shoot?

Apr 25 16 11:23 am Link

Photographer

AndysPrints

Abbitt Photography wrote:

And why would a Chicago model choose the time and expense of traveling 5 hours round trip for a shoot that pays no more than a Chicago area shoot?

BTH photo was responding to my comment that Champaign, IL was in the "middle of nowhere." Which, by most lower 48 standards, it is. BTH, however, lives in Fairbanks, Alaska (i.e. seriously the middle of nowwhere) so my definition of "middle of nowhere" was not entirely accurate given his unique perspective.

Apr 25 16 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

If you have a local community college, I would try their newspaper. My experience was that college girls are very willing subjects. If one is farther from you, it could also work, especially if they aren't too far away. I used the local university newspaper.
-Don

Apr 25 16 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Electroglow

Elk Grove, California, US

You have University of Illinois right there, a BIG university with literally tens of thousands of females enrolled (total 2015 enrollment was 44K). I graduated from a BIG university (MSU) and have visited many of the other conference campuses for football games, have friends that went to UI, and I find it hard to believe that there's a shortage of potential models there.  Look beyond MM, post on Craigslist, post ads around campus, check campus newsletters, do some street photography around campus and hand out business cards to anyone who piques your interest or vice-versa, etc. Combine that with the advice above about doing paid shoots with more experienced models once a month and you should be in good shape.

Apr 26 16 06:52 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

You already have a nice portfolio.  I think your next step is actually to look for jobs.  The clients are usually the ones that hire models and pay the models.  I don't shoot many fashion tests but most of my models are hired by my clients and one even book all the models with little input from me.  This will solve your model hunting by not costing you anything as well as getting hold of great models. 

I just assumed you are a professional commercial photographer by your portfolio and your studio.  Good luck.

Apr 26 16 07:32 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

FilmmakerDC wrote:

BTH photo was responding to my comment that Champaign, IL was in the "middle of nowhere." Which, by most lower 48 standards, it is. BTH, however, lives in Fairbanks, Alaska (i.e. seriously the middle of nowwhere) so my definition of "middle of nowhere" was not entirely accurate given his unique perspective.

Yes, Fairbanks is a little more remote than most places in the lower 48, but I think the comparison applies for most places west of the Mississippi River until you hit the coastal states.

Abbitt Photography wrote:

Photographers can travel too, unless they've converted the entire lower 48 to one way roads now.

Apr 26 16 10:03 pm Link

Model

Cwen

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
^ basically.

Truth.

Apr 26 16 10:32 pm Link