Forums > General Industry > Peter Hurley good or bad?

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

He is good...
Not as great as he thinks he is.
Not as innovative as he thinks he is.
Worth $1000 a sitting...no.

But damn it all, he is a great self promoter.
And he really hits it as a motivational speaker (even if it often comes off like a late night K-Tel sales pitch).

May 22 16 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
He is good...
Not as great as he thinks he is.
Not as innovative as he thinks he is.
Worth $1000 a sitting...no.

But damn it all, he is a great self promoter.
And he really hits it as a motivational speaker (even if it often comes off like a late night K-Tel sales pitch).

Of course, he is worth his $1350, which his clients pay--believing they are getting great photos. He invested in Hasselblad and lights, and studio, lenses and a studio as well. In L.A. some headshot photographers charge $650.

May 22 16 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've never cared for his work, mildly curious how he stands out in a big market shooting the same boring headshot and making it appealing, when any college kid with the same set up could do it for $80 anyway. The most unique thing about his headshots is the fruity-catchlight in the eyes of all his subjects, mostly caused from those near softboxes surrounding the model.

His work says nothing, but I guess it's not meant to. It's meant to be a staple .. not really art at all.. something reliable that is needed, or well.. i guess in the land of the hypercommercial you kinda get made to think that.

May 22 16 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

LA StarShooter wrote:
Of course, he is worth his $1350, which his clients pay--believing they are getting great photos. He invested in Hasselblad and lights, and studio, lenses and a studio as well. In L.A. some headshot photographers charge $650.

i dunno, from a client's perspective, despite having photography knowledge.. I don't really give a shit about that. Just the end product and what it does for me over something i can get cheaper somewhere else. They are a dime a dozen in LA.

May 22 16 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Solas wrote:
i dunno, from a client's perspective, despite having photography knowledge.. I don't really give a shit about that. Just the end product and what it does for me over something i can get cheaper somewhere else. They are a dime a dozen in LA.

300-350 is the standard price for four looks in headshots in L.A. Actors do care about looking good, which is why Peter Hurley books work because his photos work for them.  Also, if you look at his website, then his client list, which includes Vogue, and also look that in 2014 he got Backstages Award as NY's best headshot photographer, you'll see why actors book him. He was also an actor, which is a powerful marketing tool.

May 22 16 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photographers like Hurley are booked as much for who they know as their talent.   Many MM shooters produce work comparable to his but who do they know.   Hurley is working with A list talent.   He has access to great re-touchers.   $1,000 seems like a lot but for not the people he's shooting.    In fact I think he charges more then a $1,000 to shoot.   Remember he has assistants and two studios.   Here's a link to some of the best portrait  shooters around and two are members of this site.   http://www.photographydo.com/portrait-p … eed-to-see

Don't ever mistake talent for marketing.   I went to a club and saw a kid who could out sing and out dance Michael Jackson.   This kid was awesome and this is an early Mike when he was with his brothers.   He never went anywhere.   Its who you know.   How well your marketed.

May 22 16 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Apparently, he is worth $1000+ to a whole lot of clients.  That, and I like his stuff.  His head shots don't have that fake look.  They are very organic and clean.

Hell, I've been guilty of maybe being overzealous with some frequency separation and the healing brush.  big_smile

May 22 16 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Photographers like Hurley are booked as much for who they know as their talent.   Many MM shooters produce work comparable to his but who do they know.   Hurley is working with A list talent.   He has access to great re-touchers.   $1,000 seems like a lot but for not the people he's shooting.    In fact I think he charges more then a $1,000 to shoot.   Remember he has assistants and two studios.   Here's a link to some of the best portrait  shooters around and two are members of this site.   http://www.photographydo.com/portrait-p … eed-to-see

Don't ever mistake talent for marketing.   I went to a club and saw a kid who could out sing and out dance Michael Jackson.   This kid was awesome and this is an early Mike when he was with his brothers.   He never went anywhere.   Its who you know.   How well your marketed.

Why I said that he is brilliant at marketing.

Watched a vid where he made a so-so photographer feel like they were David Bailey. That is motivation and marketing.

Ok, he is good at connecting with and handling his subjects.

But others have said all in all not really better than hundreds of others (although he will tell you he is one of, if not the best). But he is certainly in the top at marketing himself.

May 22 16 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Not really familiar with him so I had to google

IMO - there are local Head Shot Photogrpahers who charge half of what he charges and are twice as good

Just my opinion

May 22 16 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

but obviously he is doing something right

May 22 16 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here's the truth of it.   There are a lot photographers who produce kick as# work but they are using marginal models.   Women and men who wouldn't be signed by most good agencies.   They don't use MUA as well.   Guys like Hurley are working with folks who can afford to pay him.   He knows stars and business people.  He doesn't have to be exceptional and again they're are photographers on MM who do fantastic imagery but who are they shooting.   Once you have the skills to produce sold work stop shooting anyone who'll step in front of your lens.   Unless thats all you want.

Join the PPA.   Build your social network up.   Its often helpful to assist.   Shooting half naked women is fun but rarely pays.

May 23 16 12:11 am Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Apparently, he is worth $1000+ to a whole lot of clients.  That, and I like his stuff.  His head shots don't have that fake look.  They are very organic and clean.

Hell, I've been guilty of maybe being overzealous with some frequency separation and the healing brush.  big_smile

He just takes the images, paid his $1350 or more now,, done... Then sends them to a retouching firm,, client works it for there on what they want,, he has a good set up but like everyone is saying it is who you know....  At the same time he does have a point,, if you get the job making thousands/ whatever, money because of his image,, he was a model he knows what they are paid for jobs in NYC and LA and he works it from there.

May 23 16 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Nico Simon Princely

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you're getting paid $XXXX then you are worth $XXXX it's as simple as that. The market will determine the perceived Value/Value. Contrary to what the average person believes. Some people have money, and want what they believe to be the best, and will not be happy shooting with someone else. There are also people that do not liked sales or discounts and enjoy paying prices that are high just because others can not afford to.

May 23 16 01:01 am Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nico Simon Princely wrote:
If you're getting paid $XXXX then you are worth $XXXX it's as simple as that. The market will determine the perceived Value/Value. Contrary to what the average person believes. Some people have money, and want what they believe to be the best, and will not be happy shooting with someone else. There are also people that do not liked sales or discounts and enjoy paying prices that are high just because others can not afford to.

120 % AGRRED

May 23 16 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Why some photographers do well can be more complex then we think.   Who sees your work and likes it?   Is it being shown to art directors?   I know really talented people who never made a dime and others who were mostly average who have done well.   Many of the shooters on this site can produce beautiful artistic pieces but can't do what clients want.   They often lack the technical skills that they need.   Many times you won't have the creative control where you will shine.   Another problem is consistency.   However who know you and who likes you is often as or more important then skills.

Hurley is an actor and knows tons of people.   Look at some of the big names past and present.   Avedon was friends with art directors and was introduced to people at Harpers Bazaar.   Steven Meisel worked for Halston as an  illustrator.   Another is reliability.   I know a publisher who spoke to me about a photographer we both knew and I asked why didn't use him.   He said he wasn't reliable.   A lot of well known names started as models.   Ellen von Unwerth is an example.   I don't think the market always pays what people are worth.

May 23 16 01:58 am Link

Photographer

A. I. Studios

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

May 23 16 02:51 am Link

Photographer

Kent Art Photography

Ashford, England, United Kingdom

I've never heard of the fellow, and I'm not going to google him.  It sounds as though he is successful at what he does.  Good luck to him.

May 23 16 03:27 am Link

Retoucher

ST Retouch

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

I am wondering why many people think that $1000 -$1200 is expensive for professional headshot and professional portrait photography for actors, business people etc.

3-4 hours of professional shooting in professional studio, professional cameras, lenses, lighting, and later 3-4 files with professional retouching work .

$1000 is very reasonable price from my point of view .

Or maybe I miss something because I don't shoot portrait photography for actors  and I don't know how things work in US?
Maybe shooting is for only one hour with just one file, without make up artist, hair dresser etc?

Can someone explain me what clients get for $1000 , how many hours of shooting in studio, is there make up artist, hair dresser, professional non-destructive retouching and how many files clients get  and which licenses?

Thank you

May 23 16 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

ST Retouch wrote:
I am wondering why many people think that $1000 -$1200 is expensive for professional headshot and professional portrait photography for actors, business people etc.

3-4 hours of professional shooting in professional studio, professional cameras, lenses, lighting, and later 3-4 files with professional retouching work .

Or maybe I miss something because I don't shoot portrait photography for actors  and I don't know how things work in US?
Maybe shooting is for only one hour with just one file, without make up artist, hair dresser etc?

Can someone explain me what clients get for $1000 , how many hours of shooting in studio, is there make up artist, hair dresser, professional non-destructive retouching and how many files clients get  and which licenses?

Thank you

Let me put if this way:  most agree that your average Porsche is better than your average VW. I'd take a Boxter over a GTI any day, unless I had a dog.

But is a cheap Porsche better than a high-end VW? The Cayenne and Toureg are almost identical. I think the interior might be different.

But lots of people buy the Cayenne, even though they pay more for the same vehicle.

And that is why Peter Hurley gets his rates. Trying to break it down by value misses the point, because people with that much money aren't generally value shoppers.

May 23 16 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

ST Retouch wrote:

Thank you

Because they don't know any better.  This forum is not comprised of commercial photographers or those who even have an understanding of commercial photography.  They think if they're making $50,000 a year taking photos they're doing well (hint, in the commercial realm, you're not...)

May 23 16 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Once again MM doesn't cease to let one down...

The work Peter is promoting is not art, it's not meant to be art and he doesn't give a shit if you think it's art.  It's not meant to be an insightful portrait that explores an individual's raison d'être.  It is a commercial headshot for actors.  Essentially, it's product photography, except in this case the product is a person. 

Someone added "well, he's good at communicating with subjects" as if it were a throw away line.  That's a HUGE part of the gig.  If you don't have that, you have nothing. I don't care how good your post work is, how creative your ideas are, if you don't have that, for this type of work, you have nothing. 

Many of you seem to think that so many on here could easily do what he does; I think you are quite mistaken.  If it was that easy to do what he does, other headshot photographers would be doing that instead of the crap they produce for $500.  I'm very adept with a camera and lighting.  I use top end gear.  I'm good at what I do.  I don't think I could walk into a studio tomorrow and produce what he does.  It might look like it on the surface, but that's where the similarity would end, and it isn't the surface qualities that is getting him work (or, more appropriately stated, it isn't the surface qualities that is getting his clients work).

May 23 16 07:21 am Link

Model

Mr. Tengu

New York, New York, US

LA StarShooter wrote:

Well... this shows the power of branding.

People want to pay $1,350 for a portrait or $5,000 or even more, because it's Peter Hurley or [insert big name photographer] , not because of the gear.

Branding determines the perceived value.

After all, rich people rather say that they were shot by Peter Hurley, than at the local portrait shop in the mall...

May 23 16 07:39 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Mr. Tengu wrote:
Well... this shows the power of branding.

People want to pay $1,350 for a portrait or $5,000 or even more, because it's Peter Hurley or [insert big name photographer] , not because of the gear.

Branding determines the perceived value.

After all, rich people rather say that they were shot by Peter Hurley, than at the local portrait shop in the mall...

^^^ What HE ^^^ said!  wink

May 23 16 08:10 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

double

May 23 16 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

don't know if you realize that he primarily does actors head shots. as other have said, they are not artistic, glamour nor portraits per se. there are plenty of photographers shooting for the same thing at $300 to $600, but they are not as successful in getting good actor's headshots. it's about selling the person, without pigeonholing them or limiting them. the headshot is often the first impression an agent or casting director sees and can make or break a deal to get a go-see or first interview.

he knows everything he needs to make that image and advises the model on make-up, clothes and helps them pick the right expression. i've seem many $300-$600 headshots that are simply wrong or not as good as they should be. those weren't worth the money.

lots of comments about "who you know" is a bit misleading. his headshots work and he has a reputation for that. knowing people only can get you so far. it's sad that that line gets used as a way to brush aside talent.

May 23 16 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
Because they don't know any better.  This forum is not comprised of commercial photographers or those who even have an understanding of commercial photography.  They think if they're making $50,000 a year taking photos they're doing well (hint, in the commercial realm, you're not...)

Wow, how pretentious and mouthy.

It's because of this, actually. It has nothing to do with our income level..aren't you supposed to be a forum guide? Direct the peace and all that? Not intentionally start fights ?

Garry k wrote:

IMO - there are local Head Shot Photogrpahers who charge half of what he charges and are twice as good

Just my opinion

May 23 16 08:52 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

it's always good to see a photographer be (apparently) successful. i say apparently because you usually don't know the state of someone's business finances (it's easy to spend a lot of money and go deeply in debt, harder to make profit year after year). i think he has an interesting backstory of sailing, acting, etc. he's not primarily a technician. and probably is relatable (good experience) for the customer.

i've certainly learned from his lectures and workshops (the free ones). he has a certain style with his kinoflo lights (at least that's what he was using in the videos i saw) and you either like that look or you don't. and you either like him or you don't. just how it goes.

for my part i think with head shots you want the lighting to be relatively non-fiddly (and/or have an assistant) so you can focus on relating to the customer and getting just the right expressions/moods in their head shots. and it seems easier to have a field of light (like for video) than spot-lighting that has to be tweaked every time someone sneezes.

i must admit that sometimes while watching his videos i think about the hipster vs. homeless game that visitors like to play when they're in Portland.

May 23 16 08:53 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Don't ever mistake talent for marketing.

It's an old legend that you can substitute talent by marketing.
No - you won't sell shit as diamonds with great marketing. Only people who failed selling their shit claim this.

To be successful you either have to sell your customers what they urge to have or dig out a demand that has been hidden until you pointed at it.

It's like street music - always and everywhere. "The hat does not lie."

Besides this: "Envy is the most honest way of recognition." (Old german saying)

May 23 16 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Herman Surkis wrote:
Ok, he is good at connecting with and handling his subjects.

Have you ever seen a movie or a TV show where a good actor gives a terrible performance?  In many cases, that's caused by bad directing.

When you're shooting headshots, it's your job to get a performance out of the actor.  You have to direct.  They're playing the part of themselves, and frankly, that's something a lot of actors got into the business to avoid.  It can be a terrifying and highly emotional experience, especially considering that many actors are flat broke and headshots are an absolutely necessary investment if they want to be taken seriously enough no to be flat broke anymore.  They have 2-3 hours to give the single performance that will determine the next 6-12 months of their lives.

That's a lot of pressure on the actor, which means a lot of work for the photographer.

If someone pays $1,000 for a headshot, and that headshot gets him and audition that leads to a $50,000 commercial, wouldn't you consider the price of the headshot to be extremely affordable?

May 23 16 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lot of sheep in this thread.. no wonder marketers make so much money.

What's the big deal with the desire for a continuous light, hairlight and 4 reflectors? That's all he's doing, from the look of it.
Not like you need a hassy and top end gear to do that. You can probably do it for less than a grand at home lol
Subject in the middle, little bit of a squinch? That'll be $1k please. Pay at the door, next to the line going out the door.

May 23 16 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Solas wrote:
Wow, how pretentious and mouthy.

It's because of this, actually. It has nothing to do with our income level..aren't you supposed to be a forum guide? Direct the peace and all that? Not intentionally start fights ?

Garry k wrote:

Just my opinion

I thought I was supposed to call out ignorance when I saw it and try to correct it (which has become so rampant on this site, I rarely bother anymore).  Believe me, I was being nice, I could get a lot "mouthier."

May 23 16 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Post hidden on May 24, 2016 05:35 am
Reason: violates rules

May 23 16 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Solas wrote:
Lot of sheep in this thread.. no wonder marketers make so much money.

What's the big deal with the desire for a continuous light, hairlight and 4 reflectors? That's all he's doing, from the look of it.
Not like you need a hassy and top end gear to do that. You can probably do it for less than a grand at home lol
Subject in the middle, little bit of a squinch? That'll be $1k please. Pay at the door, next to the line going out the door.

Of course you can recreate the lighting for less than that.  The rate isn't based on the cost of the lights.

The rate is based on the fact that those headshots get actors work.  If they didn't get actors work, Peter would go out of business.  That is the reality of the headshot market. 

Casting directors know good heahshots when they see them.  They remember the actors in them.  Actors who casting directors remember get gigs.  Actors who have forgettable headshots wait tables.

May 23 16 09:27 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Solas wrote:
It's nothing to do with his photography. It's his interpersonal skills, it's who he knows, it's his marketing and influencer position as HIM.

For many years, I have pointed out on MM that one of the most undervalued and barely mentioned skills of a photographer is the interpersonal skill when dealing with clients... and with the subject of the photoshoot.

So, I am agreeing with you on this point.

May 23 16 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brian Diaz wrote:

Of course you can recreate the lighting for less than that.  The rate isn't based on the cost of the lights.

The rate is based on the fact that those headshots get actors work.  If they didn't get actors work, Peter would go out of business.  That is the reality of the headshot market. 

Casting directors know good heahshots when they see them.  They remember the actors in them.  Actors who casting directors remember get gigs.  Actors who have forgettable headshots wait tables.

I wonder how much of his $$$ is a split between selling consistent headshots and convincing photographers they need to know what he does, in order to sell headshots? smile

May 23 16 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Solas wrote:

In 30 seconds I found about 5 photographers who do the same look as you do, the same over-photo shopped "cinematic" look. I bet if I contacted them, and said.. hey I'm working with so and so motors, we want you to do an ad. What do you think would happen? I'd likely get a medley of responses. Someone would send me an excel template of a budget. Another would be "$1500/day" and maybe a few more would ask for more info (ding ding).

Not for one second would the price matter as much as the interpersonal skills and attitude of the photographer.

Maybe something to think about.

Your work is not unique.
His work is not unique.

His market: is photographers, with the desire to make their work sellable.. like his.. without recognizing that THEY ARE HIS MARKET. Buy my $300 DVD. I'll teach you to be me. NO.. because his brand, his work? It's nothing to do with his photography. It's his interpersonal skills, it's who he knows, it's his marketing and influencer position as HIM.

You? All I know your work for is for your comments on model mayhem. That's all I think of when I view your work.

Perfect, that's all you need to know.

Apparently it's time for another hiatus from the site for awhile...

May 23 16 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

Connections I suppose, look at instagram. Some really talented people shooting up close shots of deadly animals, tornadoes, trekking the most brutal regions of earth and photographers doing model work that could easily pull them gigs with big mags with less than 5k followers and not much work. Yet you got nasty polaroids of some cliche street/urban photos or vaping(current trend) pulling over 100k followers and making money. I sense someone is pissed they ain't wearing a .9999 gold chain bought with money from photography.

May 23 16 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Apparently it's time for another hiatus from the site for awhile...

You could have answered me in any other way, but instead you chose a personal attack about my income level. For the record, I'm probably looking at paying more tax in a year. Still wouldn't find me making that kind of snide comment looking down my nose at someone who earned less for their opinion. Like the way Diaz said, that was a far more appropriate way to "correct ignorance". You taking a direct shot at my income? Burned your bridges with me, Mr. Cherry.

May 23 16 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Solas wrote:
You could have answered me in any other way, but instead you chose a personal attack about my income level. For the record, I'm probably looking at paying more tax in a year. Still wouldn't find me making that kind of snide comment looking down my nose at someone who earned less for their opinion. Like the way Diaz said, that was a far more appropriate way to "correct ignorance". You taking a direct shot at my income? Burned your bridges with me, Mr. Cherry.

1) My post was not directed at you, nor was it specifically about you.  I did not take a shot at your income, I was making a general statement regarding what I see written on this site by photographers who don't understand commercial rates, and who can't understand how someone could possibly charge over $1,000 for a headshot session.  How you took that as a personal attack is beyond me.

2) I don't know you, why would I care what you think of me - or for that matter, have any idea what your income is?

3) After a while you get tired of hearing people (especially some in other threads with little to no talent - this is not specifically directed at you) bemoan the success of others with the same tired mantras. 

4) I gave a more detailed response in the following post.

5) I'm tired, I'm not feeling well and I apparently should stay off this site for a while.

May 23 16 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1) I did not take a shot at your income, I was making a general statement regarding what I see written on this site by photographers who don't understand commercial rates, and who can't understand how someone could possibly charge over $1,000 for a headshot session.  How you took that as a personal attack is beyond me.

You replied directly to my comment about art, you called it out as people who did not "understand commercial rates" .. bullshit. It's not ignorance that you photographers need to make money to recoup your fancy hasselblads, it's the fact that you can get the same look.. anywhere else.. as a headshot client *.. for a lot cheaper. The lighting is not unique, hence why I said a college kid could do it for $80 with 4 reflectors, an overhead softbox and a continuous light.

Nobody cares what you spent on gear, if they can get the same look cheaper.. from anywhere else. This stuff isn't rocket science. It's pure branding and marketed in such a way to make you think you want it.

5) I'm tired, I'm not feeling well and I apparently should stay off this site for a while.

That's cute.

May 23 16 09:56 am Link