Forums > Photography Talk > "Monkey Selfie" case headed to US Court of Appeals

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

In 2011 a crested macaque in Indonesia took a selfie using photographer David J. Slater's camera. After Slater claimed copyright of the photo, PETA sued on behalf of the monkey, claiming it was the copyright holder. But in January a federal judge tossed out the lawsuit, ruling that non-human animals are not allowed to own a copyright.

Earlier this week PETA filed an appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

http://boingboing.net/2016/08/05/monkey … eaded.html

Aug 05 16 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

PETA made the ridiculous claim, contrary to established law, that non-humans could claim copyright. Equally unfounded and remarkably arrogant was PETA's self-appointment as the ape's legal advocate. Unless the appeals court is stoned or concussed, it will make a Monkey out of PETA and put an end to PETA's monkeyshines.And, we hope, fine PETA for the groundless appeal.

BTW, some years ago, PETA sued a guy for joking references that "PETA" is short for "People eating tasty animals."

Aug 05 16 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

And just when I thought my opinion of PETA was at rock bottom. SMH

Aug 05 16 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
Unless the appeals court is stoned or concussed, it will make a Monkey out of PETA and put an end to PETA's monkeyshines.And, we hope, fine PETA for the groundless appeal.

Don't be too sure. It is, after all, the Court of https://pioneerthinking.com/health/files/2013/11/Banana_Peel_for_Healthy_Skin1.jpg Appeals

Aug 05 16 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

PETA is right - the monkey should hold copyright.

Just as soon as he writes and signs a statement that he took the photo.

As an aside, this case in an invaluable lesson for those that say 'my art speaks for itself' and those that insist on telling every back story alike.

If instead of telling everyone and their mother that the monkey took a selfie the photographer said "the monkey posed for my camera"(which is incomplete, but 100% true), there would have been far less scrutiny regarding the details of the image, and he'd almost be guaranteed to keep his copyright.

Having a monkey pose for you is still a really great story.

Would it be unethical? Legally, no - he wouldn't be infringing on any rights. Artistically ... That varies person to person.

But the point is that he lost his right because he couldn't stop running his mouth.

Something to consider when you're talking up your own work.

Aug 05 16 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Zack Zoll wrote:
PETA is right - the monkey should hold copyright.

Just as soon as he writes and signs a statement that he took the photo.

As an aside, this case in an invaluable lesson for those that say 'my art speaks for itself' and those that insist on telling every back story alike.

If instead of telling everyone and their mother that the monkey took a selfie the photographer said "the monkey posed for my camera"(which is incomplete, but 100% true), there would have been far less scrutiny regarding the details of the image, and he'd almost be guaranteed to keep his copyright.

Having a monkey pose for you is still a really great story.

Would it be unethical? Legally, no - he wouldn't be infringing on any rights. Artistically ... That varies person to person.

But the point is that he lost his right because he couldn't stop running his mouth.

Something to consider when you're talking up your own work.

He hasn't lost his rights. Peta is appealing their loss, that is the judgement that went against them. Maybe you're tired from grading your student's work.

Aug 05 16 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

LA StarShooter wrote:

He hasn't lost his rights. Peta is appealing their loss, that is the judgement that went against them. Maybe you're tired from grading your student's work.

Actually it hasn't been ultimately decided whether the photographer owns the copyright or not regardless of the ridiculous PETA lawsuit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie

Aug 05 16 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

put the monkey on the stand.. Id be curious to see what he has to say about it.

did he sign a contract?

Aug 06 16 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Instinct Images wrote:

Actually it hasn't been ultimately decided whether the photographer owns the copyright or not regardless of the ridiculous PETA lawsuit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie

There you go.

And my guess is it will take a long time, as(to the best of my knowledge) this is the first case of its kind.

But even if he is ultimately awarded copyright(which I doubt), too much time will have passed for him to make a profit; it's hard to sell images that have been endlessly propagated online in high res version.

On the bright side, he'll be in almost every art history and IP law textbook ever written from here on out. Personally I'd call that a far greater legacy, but to 99.9% of photographers, no paper = failure.

Aug 06 16 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Jimmy Stoddard

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I understand the desire to say the person that pushed the button owns the photo, but I can think of several instances where that is not the case. Starting with Matt Brady, and a lot of contemporary artists as well like Gregory Crewdson. It's like saying the Cinematographer on the last Avengers movie owns the movie because he operated the camera. Even if a monkey could enter into a contract (which it cannot) the "person who pushed the button" does not necessarily own the image. What about Mike Nichols work with infra-red traps? When the crocodile triggered the trap he technically "pushed the button".
One of the worst things about this case is that the photographer in questions work benefits animals and animal conservation on a much larger scale than the brain trust down at PETA could ever hope to. Winning a case like this would create a chilling effect on his work and the work of a lot of other people who make huge contributions to conservation.

Aug 06 16 09:54 am Link

Photographer

wr not here

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

The F-Stop wrote:

did he sign a contract?

Is a contract required for copyright?
I thought it was all about who took the picture and who made the artistic decisions.
The photographer can't claim copyright, he had nothing to do with the image. In some ways, the monkey is akin to an infant child regarding rights.

Aug 06 16 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Jimmy Stoddard wrote:
I understand the desire to say the person that pushed the button owns the photo, but I can think of several instances where that is not the case. Starting with Matt Brady, and a lot of contemporary artists as well like Gregory Crewdson. It's like saying the Cinematographer on the last Avengers movie owns the movie because he operated the camera. Even if a monkey could enter into a contract (which it cannot) the "person who pushed the button" does not necessarily own the image. What about Mike Nichols work with infra-red traps? When the crocodile triggered the trap he technically "pushed the button".
One of the worst things about this case is that the photographer in questions work benefits animals and animal conservation on a much larger scale than the brain trust down at PETA could ever hope to. Winning a case like this would create a chilling effect on his work and the work of a lot of other people who make huge contributions to conservation.

All of your examples are red herrings, meritless strawmen.

In the situation we are really talking about, the monkey was completely in creative control of the image, it chose when to take the picture and pushed the button itself.
I really don't see how this instance will "create a chill" on his work, pretty much you are making a bullshit argument with nothing to back it up.

Aug 06 16 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

This is a big slippery slope, as long as you're naming arguments.

But IF the monkey were awarded copyright as a sentient being, and IF another court decided animals count as 'nature' and not sentient beings, and IF a further court ruled that all of nature is equal ...

Do you see where I'm going here?

If you're a Chicken Little, there is the potential for most any case to cause a chilling effect, provided all the pieces line up.

But this case would require several decisions, each more goofy than the last, for that to happen.

That doesn't mean we should be afraid, but it means we should watch it, because people are goofy.

Aug 06 16 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Before I read this thread or the article, I wondered "who was paying the lawyers?".  Oh, I guess PETA.

That's what your contributions to PETA goes to.  Makes you feel good, defending a monkey's copyright, don't it?

I notice that the image in question is used in the article.  Was that usage licensed?  (Just kidding -- I don't care).

Aug 06 16 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

WR Photographics wrote:
Is a contract required for copyright?
I thought it was all about who took the picture and who made the artistic decisions.
The photographer can't claim copyright, he had nothing to do with the image. In some ways, the monkey is akin to an infant child regarding rights.

if you are employed by me to shoot, you need a contract to declair ownership. does your assistant hold copyrights to a job you are hired to do? if i design a sculpture n farm it out to a welder n metal fabricator... do they hold the copyright for my work? wedding photograhers employ videographers n second n third cameras, do they own the material they shot while under your employ?...

contract!

a monkey cant enter into contract!

Aug 07 16 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

The F-Stop wrote:

if you are employed by me to shoot, you need a contract to declair ownership. does your assistant hold copyrights to a job you are hired to do? if i design a sculpture n farm it out to a welder n metal fabricator... do they hold the copyright for my work? wedding photograhers employ videographers n second n third cameras, do they own the material they shot while under your employ?...

contract!

The suit claims that someone can represent them, as with minors.

Aug 07 16 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

PETA thinks that they will represent the monkey.    big_smile

Aug 07 16 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

1971....when humans and animals conversed....

https://bollola.it/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/pomi-dottone-e-manici-di-scopacalcio.jpg

Aug 07 16 08:51 am Link

Photographer

wr not here

The F-Stop wrote:

contract!

Do you have to enter a contract with every picture you make to own copyright?
I thought not.
Your talk of contracts is a deflection. No contract is needed to own copyright, all that is needed is to be in creative control of the creation of the image.
Discuss the subject, not the strawmen you want to inject.

Aug 07 16 09:00 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

WR Photographics wrote:
Do you have to enter a contract with every picture you make to own copyright?
I thought not.
Your talk of contracts is a deflection. No contract is needed to own copyright, all that is needed is to be in creative control of the creation of the image.
Discuss the subject, not the strawmen you want to inject.

thank you for sounding very convincing but i see you have nothing to offer in this discussion based on any experiance in the business besides just trashing anything anyone says in this conversation.

in the 70s i had jobs i needed a few photographers n hired assistants. they turned on me last minute n claimed they owned the negatives n refused to turn them over saying they created the images and all i can have are single use prints.

we went to court n as a result the defendants hadnt realized the agreement they signed when i hired them, written by my lawyer, absolved them of any claims to the material they created for the job. they felt because they used their creative talents n pushed the button, as YOU think is the critical criterior, those images were theirs. they lost the case.

contract is everything in business.

perhaps if the owner of the monkey signed an agreement with the artist before the shot was taken, there may be a transfer of copyright or useage agreements in their contract.

besides, animals are considered property. cars n animals have no rights other than reasonable maintenance and care.the monkey cant enter into contract and you cant say you represent the monkey after the fact. if you had represented the monkey before the shot... you may have a case.

oh WR, i just realized you are in canada n you may have different copyright laws. perhaps we should also consider that when commenting?

Aug 07 16 10:19 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

yes, the owner can represent the monkey at the time of the shoot. but to claim representation after the fact may be a stretch in court. id be curious to see how it plays out.

Aug 07 16 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

Don't be too sure. It is, after all, the Court of https://pioneerthinking.com/health/files/2013/11/Banana_Peel_for_Healthy_Skin1.jpg Appeals

Ape-eals in this case smile

Aug 07 16 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Doesn't matter----PETA's getting their message out in a way that can reach the largest imaginable audience at the least imaginable cost. And at the same time making monkeys out of those of us that spread the story for them.  However wise or otherwise it is from a legal point of view, ya just gotta admire the chutzpah!

Aug 07 16 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:
Doesn't matter----PETA's getting their message out in a way that can reach the largest imaginable audience at the least imaginable cost. And at the same time making monkeys out of those of us that spread the story for them.  However wise or otherwise it is from a legal point of view, ya just gotta admire the chutzpah!

right on!

Aug 07 16 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

The F-Stop wrote:

thank you for sounding very convincing but i see you have nothing to offer in this discussion based on any experiance in the business besides just trashing anything anyone says in this conversation.

in the 70s i had jobs i needed a few photographers n hired assistants. they turned on me last minute n claimed they owned the negatives n refused to turn them over saying they created the images and all i can have are single use prints.

we went to court n as a result the defendants hadnt realized the agreement they signed when i hired them, written by my lawyer, absolved them of any claims to the material they created for the job. they felt because they used their creative talents n pushed the button, as YOU think is the critical criterior, those images were theirs. they lost the case.

contract is everything in business.

perhaps if the owner of the monkey signed an agreement with the artist before the shot was taken, there may be a transfer of copyright or useage agreements in their contract.

besides, animals are considered property. cars n animals have no rights other than reasonable maintenance and care.the monkey cant enter into contract and you cant say you represent the monkey after the fact. if you had represented the monkey before the shot... you may have a case.

oh WR, i just realized you are in canada n you may have different copyright laws. perhaps we should also consider that when commenting?

Why do you keep deflecting and introducing strawmen and red herrings?
The problem you are having is that you are trying to make this about contract law, when it is, in fact about copyright law.
As you say, the monkey can't enter into a contract, so she can't sign away her copyrights to another party, and this takes away any argument that this is about contract law.
If, and I agree with you, that animals are considered property, who is the owner of the monkey?
It seems to me that the government of Indonesia would be the owner of the monkey, making that body the legal guardian of her, and therefore the copyright owner.

Aug 07 16 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

WR Photographics wrote:

Why do you keep deflecting and introducing strawmen and red herrings?
The problem you are having is that you are trying to make this about contract law, when it is, in fact about copyright law.
As you say, the monkey can't enter into a contract, so she can't sign away her copyrights to another party, and this takes away any argument that this is about contract law.
If, and I agree with you, that animals are considered property, who is the owner of the monkey?
It seems to me that the government of Indonesia would be the owner of the monkey, making that body the legal guardian of her, and therefore the copyright owner.

For a guy that keeps calling out straw men, you missed a big one.

Under that ruling, I would own copyright on all photos ever taken of my dog.

Which isn't a big deal ... Unless my dog gets out and someone photographs her ... or she competed in shows ... Or we took a hike and happened to appear in someone's landscape picture.

Aug 07 16 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Zack Zoll wrote:
For a guy that keeps calling out straw men, you missed a big one.

Under that ruling, I would own copyright on all photos ever taken of my dog.

Which isn't a big deal ... Unless my dog gets out and someone photographs her ... or she competed in shows ... Or we took a hike and happened to appear in someone's landscape picture.

Does your dog pick up your camera (or anyone else's camera for that matter) and take pictures with it? I'm not really sure what your point is.

Aug 07 16 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

WR Photographics wrote:

Does your dog pick up your camera (or anyone else's camera for that matter) and take pictures with it? I'm not really sure what your point is.

We only know the monkey took the picture because THE PHOTOGRAPHER said so.

By the implied rule that 'lacking provable copyright information, the animal's owner owns the photo', images of animals would not automatically be the copyright of the photographer - the photographer would need to prove they took the photo.

Note that at no point did I ever say that all pet owners would own every image of their pet; I said that such a ruling would be a big deal, and then mentioned several situations where someone could take a photo of my dog that just as easily could have been my photo.

If you've ever had to prove that something you own is really yours, you'll understand the potential hassle of that situation.

Aug 07 16 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The point in all of this that is ultimately the most important, and yet seldom included in the conversation about this topic, is that PETA couldn't care less about the copyright portion of this entire matter. As far as they are concerned, it's really irrelevant to the entire issue. They are just using this as leverage to promote their idiotic propaganda that animals have the same rights as humans. That's literally all they care about. If they can get it on the books that a monkey has rights to copyright ownership, it's just one more dig that they can get into the legal system to which their ultimate goal is to do things such as ban zoos, ban pet ownership, etc....all things they have completely said they are in favor of as an organization.

Aug 07 16 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

That ... That's a really good point. And I feel just a little bit stupid for not seeing it until it was spelled out for me.

Aug 07 16 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Zack Zoll wrote:

So we know the monkey took the picture.

Zack Zoll wrote:
By the implied rule that 'lacking provable copyright information, the animal's owner owns the photo', images of animals would not automatically be the copyright of the photographer - the photographer would need to prove they took the photo.

You seem to be making my point for me.

Zack Zoll wrote:
Note that at no point did I ever say that all pet owners would own every image of their pet; I said that such a ruling would be a big deal, and then mentioned several situations where someone could take a photo of my dog that just as easily could have been my photo.

You don't seem to be making a point here.

Zack Zoll wrote:
If you've ever had to prove that something you own is really yours, you'll understand the potential hassle of that situation.

I have, and it's a hassle, I agree. The photographer should never have said anything about the monkey taking the picture. Had he kept his mouth shut, there would be no debate.
However, he didn't, and in doing so put the ownership of the image into question.

AS an aside, the ONLY reason this picture is considered cool is because the monkey took it. If the photographer had kept his mouth shut about who the photographer was, it's really unlikely this image would have been noticed by anyone. It's really just a crooked picture of a monkey.

Aug 08 16 05:43 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Shot By Adam wrote:
The point in all of this that is ultimately the most important, and yet seldom included in the conversation about this topic, is that PETA couldn't care less about the copyright portion of this entire matter. As far as they are concerned, it's really irrelevant to the entire issue. They are just using this as leverage to promote their idiotic propaganda that animals have the same rights as humans. That's literally all they care about. If they can get it on the books that a monkey has rights to copyright ownership, it's just one more dig that they can get into the legal system to which their ultimate goal is to do things such as ban zoos, ban pet ownership, etc....all things they have completely said they are in favor of as an organization.

very good point indeed.

Aug 08 16 06:35 am Link

Photographer

testingphotography

Seattle, Washington, US

I've always said that with fully automatic cameras even a monkey can take a good shot!

Aug 08 16 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

WR Photographics wrote:

Zack Zoll wrote:

So we know the monkey took the picture.

Zack Zoll wrote:

You seem to be making my point for me.

You don't seem to be making a point here.

I have, and it's a hassle, I agree. The photographer should never have said anything about the monkey taking the picture. Had he kept his mouth shut, there would be no debate.
However, he didn't, and in doing so put the ownership of the image into question.

AS an aside, the ONLY reason this picture is considered cool is because the monkey took it. If the photographer had kept his mouth shut about who the photographer was, it's really unlikely this image would have been noticed by anyone. It's really just a crooked picture of a monkey.

I don't know what you're arguing with anymore ... But it seems pretty clear that you want to keep arguing, so I'll let it go.

Just let me rephrase a bit so you have something more coherent to argue with ... I posted at the end of a long day yesterday, and I see now that I didn't make as much sense as I thought I did.

Post should have read:

"For a guy that really likes naming bad arguments, you're still making one.

Creating a precedent for all unproven copyright images to belong to the animals' owners will effectively require photographers to prove the copyright they already own. Such a law doesn't exist in other situations; if some one can't prove that they took my photo, that doesn't automatically make it mine.

I would also need to prove I took it, or else it becomes orphaned because "nobody" took it. I can't just claim stuff because their is no provable or visible copyright.

Giving copyright to an owner by default would essentially mean that anyone that photographs animals has to prove their innocence - not the other guy's guilt. And that is the opposite of what our legal system is based on.

It would also give more legal rights to our pets than we enjoy ourselves ... But PETA would love that bit.

We both agree the monkey 'photographer' talked himself out of a win. But a court can find against him without setting the kind of precedent that you describe, and which undermines the spirit of the law."

There. Now it's all in one place, and you can argue at your leisure, without clogging up the thread with piecemeal rebuttals and naming people's arguments.

I'm on to other things.

Aug 08 16 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Really - we're talking about ownership rights for animals?  This is utterly ridiculous!  If by some crazy, wild happenstance, the monkey "wins" this thing - it will set a really bad precedent.  Where will it all end?

Aug 08 16 11:02 am Link

Photographer

wr not here

Zack Zoll wrote:

I don't know what you're arguing with anymore ... But it seems pretty clear that you want to keep arguing, so I'll let it go.

Just let me rephrase a bit so you have something more coherent to argue with ... I posted at the end of a long day yesterday, and I see now that I didn't make as much sense as I thought I did.

Post should have read:

"For a guy that really likes naming bad arguments, you're still making one.

Creating a precedent for all unproven copyright images to belong to the animals' owners will effectively require photographers to prove the copyright they already own. Such a law doesn't exist in other situations; if some one can't prove that they took my photo, that doesn't automatically make it mine.

I would also need to prove I took it, or else it becomes orphaned because "nobody" took it. I can't just claim stuff because their is no provable or visible copyright.

Giving copyright to an owner by default would essentially mean that anyone that photographs animals has to prove their innocence - not the other guy's guilt. And that is the opposite of what our legal system is based on.

It would also give more legal rights to our pets than we enjoy ourselves ... But PETA would love that bit.

We both agree the monkey 'photographer' talked himself out of a win. But a court can find against him without setting the kind of precedent that you describe, and which undermines the spirit of the law."

There. Now it's all in one place, and you can argue at your leisure, without clogging up the thread with piecemeal rebuttals and naming people's arguments.

I'm on to other things.

I don't argue with straw men.
Try harder.

Aug 08 16 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

wr not here

Gary Melton wrote:
Really - we're talking about ownership rights for animals?  This is utterly ridiculous!  If by some crazy, wild happenstance, the monkey "wins" this thing - it will set a really bad precedent.  Where will it all end?

It is ridiculous, but still an interesting thought experiment.
For myself, as soon as the photographer said he hadn't taken the photo, ownership should have reverted either to the public domain or the government of Indonesia, which represents the owners of the animal.

Aug 08 16 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Gary Melton wrote:

and thats exactly what the court will say.

Aug 08 16 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

The F-Stop wrote:

He won't say anything. The stress of cross-examination will make him go ape.

Aug 09 16 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

It's well-established in USA law that animals cannot hold copyright and do not themselves own right of publicity. And it's not hard to see why: otherwise any critter that tripped a game trail camera would have PETA filing suit on its behalf

Aug 09 16 05:57 pm Link