Forums > Model Colloquy > Photoshoot Offers from Non-Local Photographers

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

How would/should you handle an offer for a shoot with a photographer that lives in another state? Offer is for trade or just a basic rate, no travel or expenses included.

Should you ask for expenses to be covered or just get there out of pocket and hope you can book other paying shoots?

Aug 20 16 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

D A N I wrote:
How would/should you handle an offer for a shoot with a photographer that lives in another state? Offer is for trade or just a basic rate, no travel or expenses included.

Should you ask for expenses to be covered or just get there out of pocket and hope you can book other paying shoots?

Kind of hard to answer without knowing the photographer and how good his work is.  You'd have to assess that yourself.

Aug 21 16 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

There is a reason the IRS allows 57 cents per mile for vehicle travel -- it's not generosity -- that's about what it really costs with car maintenance, insurance and gas included.
Unless you are nearby for some other work there is no reason for you to absorb that cost. (plus accommodation)

Standard Mileage Rates at a Glance
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/ … tes-glance

Aug 21 16 12:29 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Haven't you been traveling for a couple years now?

If his work is so good its worth coming out of pocket for, do it.

If its not, be upfront that you'd need at least your travel covered (or just give him rates that factor in your total expenses)

Or tell him if he can drum up some buddies who'd like to shoot you and turn those into paid gigs you'll trade with him

Or tell him he'll have to wait until you can find enough paid work to make the trip out there worthwhile

I don't recommend going anywhere just hoping for the best, unless you can afford to lose expenses if it all goes to shit, but it also depends on where you're headed. Taking a chance on bumbfuck nowhere is different than taking a chance on LA or NYC or something.

Aug 21 16 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

You have to be careful.  There is a model I know who flew to another state to work with a photographer and he flaked on her.

Aug 21 16 05:06 am Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Probably a robot.

Aug 21 16 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

The last time I got that offer:

"Come shoot TFP with me on your own dime"

It would have cost me over $500 in airfare, I told him to shove it.

Other times I have covered all my own costs to fly to a location and work, it depends on the job, images, what other jobs I can get, what other jobs I have locally, & other factors.

Aug 21 16 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

D A N I wrote:

There are lots of variables.  Here are 3.

1) Distance.  How far is it, and how much would it cost to travel there?  If you're in Little Rock and they're in Memphis, that's not much risk.  You could do a day trip pretty easily.  But if they're in Boise, you're going to need a place to stay, and significant travel time/expense.

2) Market.  Are there other photographers in the area?  Are they looking for models like you?  Are they willing to pay your rates?

3) Quality.  Is the photographer any good?  If it's a trade situation, are the photos you get in the deal likely to improve your portfolio and bring in more work?  Or would the photos/experience have value in any other way?

Aug 22 16 09:04 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

D A N I wrote:

I think the answer is plain and simple. It has to be worth your while, something that can benefit you in one way or another. Only you can decide whether that applies to any specific offer. Typically when I do trade work with a photographer or artist in another state or a significant distance away, it's done during a time when I was already planning to be in that area or nearby anyway. 

Making plans dependent on finding others along the route or in the city you are going to could also work well.

Aug 23 16 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

D A N I wrote:

Since they're the one approaching you, it can't hurt to ask! Nor would it hurt to give them a specific number, usually just gas money but not always.

At the very least it'll be a decent gauge as to how badly they want to work w/ you.

Aug 23 16 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Broward Paint

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

A good rule of thumb is:
The first booking is paid (+ expenses optional), up front. Nonnegotiable
Once you have that, what you book is up to you. 
Never go out of area with out at least one paid gig.

Aug 23 16 08:26 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
...it can't hurt to ask!

I disagree.

If many, many forum threads are any guide, the breadth of people who are outraged and offended by any number of insults*, real or imagined, indicates that indeed asking/suggesting/proposing can in fact hurt. I’m not suggesting that one should never ask; I just think that the absolute belief that “it can’t hurt” isn’t supported by data.

*While I don’t agree with those who rail with extreme vigor against others who do things differently, it is a common theme here.

Aug 24 16 12:39 pm Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Haven't you been traveling for a couple years now?

If his work is so good its worth coming out of pocket for, do it.

If its not, be upfront that you'd need at least your travel covered (or just give him rates that factor in your total expenses)

Or tell him if he can drum up some buddies who'd like to shoot you and turn those into paid gigs you'll trade with him

Or tell him he'll have to wait until you can find enough paid work to make the trip out there worthwhile

I don't recommend going anywhere just hoping for the best, unless you can afford to lose expenses if it all goes to shit, but it also depends on where you're headed. Taking a chance on bumbfuck nowhere is different than taking a chance on LA or NYC or something.

I haven't had a real shoot in nearly 2 years and the last time I trusted a photographer he treated me like shit and kicked out of his house because 2 down to fuck models showed up.

I was just trying to brush up and some details so I won't run into a bad situation again

Aug 24 16 08:39 pm Link