Forums > Photography Talk > Motorcycle Crash, thumbs and tripod appreciation!

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Los Angeles, California, US

Well a month or so ago I was having too much fun.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1576/24085984172_f58004c951_b.jpg

I went on a short kitesurfing trip on my motorcycle.
Had an amazing day at the beach, took a few portraits at the Neptune's Net in Malibu that attracts all sorts
of interesting characters.
Well I hoped on my motorcycle and headed home. Great ride through the canyons in the Santa Monica Mountains.
But then 5 minutes from home I hit a deer at about 60mph and went flying.....

Here's the video of the accident.

https://youtu.be/ZaykzE7P_XE

While I walked away from the accident.... well actually got on the bike and rode home..... the only injury
I had was on my thumb. Big nasty stab on the nickle of my thumb.

I never thought about how important my thumb is while shooting...... (warning graphic image)

Try using a camera when your thumb looks like this.....

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8178/2914 … 4c83_b.jpg

and this was 8 days after the crash!

I certainly appreciated my tripod and my assistant shooting two days after the crash

Hey if you ride motorcycle ... get an airbag vest... It's a game changer

Sep 22 16 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I've almost hit several deer with my car.  They cross roads without warning.

Sep 22 16 07:05 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

yikes

Sep 22 16 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Your quite fortunate...Fred. Good that you had the equipment you had and the bike still working is amazing. Interesting that some want to make it about themselves. Hope you'll be posting more. You've been MIA for too long.

Sep 22 16 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

good to hear from you again Fred, sorry about the thumb, hope it heals up for you.

Sep 22 16 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

I watched your video. Scary as hell to see how quickly things can happen with no time to react. Without spoiling the video, I like your response to the guy asking if you were okay, referring to percentages.

The air bag vest company should use the piece where you were talking about it saving you... and your neck. Powerful testimonial.

We know how you fared, but how was the bike in the light of day?

Sep 23 16 02:48 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Fred.  Glad to see your still with us.  Very lucky.  We have a gazillion deer here in PoDunk.  One reason I even hate driving a car at night.  I had a deer run into the side of my car a few years back.

I've missed your post on the forums as well.

Sep 23 16 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Wow - yeah - it does happen that fast.  Yearlings like that one, have no road experience or survival skills.  Driving at night in Arkansas near my farms is a menace because of them.  Hitting a big buck, has the impact of hitting a small refrigerator in the road.

Tend that thumb carefully - that's a lot of tissue ground off - a joint infection you do NOT want.

Now, I know that they make a deer warning whistle for car bumpers - I can't imagine that they would not work with a bike.

#airbagtestimonials

Sep 23 16 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Oh man, that is scary.  I am glad you are OK.  You need to buy a lotto.

Sep 23 16 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Stay Young Photography

Cocoa, Florida, US

Fred Greissing wrote:
Well a month or so ago I was having too much fun.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1576/24085984172_f58004c951_b.jpg

I went on a short kitesurfing trip on my motorcycle.
Had an amazing day at the beach, took a few portraits at the Neptune's Net in Malibu that attracts all sorts
of interesting characters.
Well I hoped on my motorcycle and headed home. Great ride through the canyons in the Santa Monica Mountains.
But then 5 minutes from home I hit a deer at about 60mph and went flying.....

Here's the video of the accident.

https://youtu.be/ZaykzE7P_XE

While I walked away from the accident.... well actually got on the bike and rode home..... the only injury
I had was on my thumb. Big nasty stab on the nickle of my thumb.

I never thought about how important my thumb is while shooting...... (warning graphic image)

Try using a camera when your thumb looks like this.....

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8178/2914 … 4c83_b.jpg

and this was 8 days after the crash!

I certainly appreciated my tripod and my assistant shooting two days after the crash

Hey if you ride motorcycle ... get an airbag vest... It's a game changer

I can't imagine hitting or almost hitting a deer with a  motorcycle, its scary enough in a car. Your thumb wound kind of looks like a heart. Maybe a message from a guardian angel.

Sep 23 16 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Glad to see that you're OK, Fred - seems to me that you're a very lucky lad.  You got your luck the right way - through planning.

Hope we'll see more of you on here.

Sep 23 16 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Stay Young Photography wrote:
Your thumb wound kind of looks like a heart. Maybe a message from a guardian angel.

I had not noticed that! I looked at it for a month... very close up too. Your right it is a bit heart shaped.

Sep 26 16 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Wow, death by deer, a coroner almost said. You have been missed on these forums. I think the only way you could take a better shot of your bike was with a brand new hasselblad.

Sep 26 16 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Zoiks!   Glad you are ok.

Sep 27 16 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Greissing

Vintagevista wrote:
Tend that thumb carefully - that's a lot of tissue ground off - a joint infection you do NOT want.

#airbagtestimonials

My thumb is all healed up, just working on getting more strength back and full range of movement.

I used Manuka Honey on the wound and only cleaned around it with hydrogen peroxide and alcohol.
Manuka Honey works wonders. Keeps the wound moist, clear of any infection, it's soothing. The scar tissue is
nice and elastic (just what you need on a joint) it even has quite a natural skin texture.

Bees are amazing. The little busy bees do so much for us, it's really sad that they are on the endangered species list now.
Main reason is overuse of the wrong type of pesticides. Very sad.

Oct 03 16 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Account Dead dead dead

London, England, United Kingdom

Imagine if you weren't wearing gloves and leathers!!!

Oct 05 16 04:59 am Link