SAND DIAL

Santa Monica, California, US

Like?
Dislike?

Oct 26 16 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Like, not a hugh fan, and we'll see in a few years how she fares to some she's compared to. (comparisons aren't fair to either party).......

Unless it's to say say how those squabbling, no talent hacks from Oasis stole everything from the Beatles  smile

I digress, yes I like Lady Gaga and think she's a good choice for the Super Bowl half time show.

Oct 26 16 10:03 am Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I like her better when she stops being lady gaga and is just being a singer.

Oct 26 16 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MerrillMedia wrote:
I like her better when she stops being lady gaga and is just being a singer.

In 2014, Gaga released a collaborative jazz album with Tony Bennett titled Cheek to Cheek, which became her third consecutive number one in the United States.

Oct 26 16 11:10 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Superbowl 2016 - The Star Spangled Banner

She's an extremely extremely talented vocalist, I can't comment on Her new work.

Oct 26 16 11:23 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

In 2014, Gaga released a collaborative jazz album with Tony Bennett titled Cheek to Cheek, which became her third consecutive number one in the United States.

Interscope had to 'play with the numbers' --this can be done.
Artflop was fastest sinking #1 ever? Or close to it.

In any case, whats the new one like?

Oct 26 16 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Saw her pantomime her way through two new songs on the recent Tom Hanks episode of SNL. I thought "A-YO" was a decent mid-80s Robert Palmer outtake with lots of crossover potential; I can picture it blasting out of big-ass pickup trucks, blinged-out Escalades, and sleek little convertibles alike for the next couple weeks. Then she played some "Million Reasons" which was OK and all (great showcase for her voice) but it was nothing special and it just reminded me how few such performances will ever top Miley Cyrus doing "The Twinkle Song". Haven't heard anything else from the album but based on those two songs my overall impression is "meh".

Oct 26 16 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Mister Kickfights, I think she has run out of good material. Like 3 Cds ago.

Oct 26 16 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Lady Blah-Blah

Oct 26 16 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
Mister Kickfights, I think she has run out of good material. Like 3 Cds ago.

The only album I own is Born This Way. Her other albums have a track here, a track there, which are fine, but otherwise not compelled to actually own.

Oct 26 16 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

SAND DIAL wrote:
Interscope had to 'play with the numbers' --this can be done.
Artflop was fastest sinking #1 ever? Or close to it.

In any case, whats the new one like?

That was easily my favourite record of hers too. The title track reminds me of Bowie with Klaus Nomi on backup vocals.

Then again ... Despite being his most critically acclaimed and musically important era, it was bookended by two decades of music that make sales from that era look like cab fare.

I was hoping for another Artpop, but didn't get it. The first half of the record is very catchy, and sounds like 'safer' versions of her old stuff. The second half reminds me of Ryan Adams' version of 1989.

And I do like hearing her actual singing voice.

I'm glad I bought it, and i'm enjoying it very much. But I don't think this is destined to be a favourite album that I pull out a couple years from now and listen to start to finish.

Strong car rotation though. And I really like John Wayne.

Also ... Anybody else catch 'All I want for Christmas is You' in there? I forget the title, but it's track 9 or so.

Oct 26 16 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

The second half reminds me of Ryan Adams' version of 1989.  !!!!!!!!!

What did you pay for it? Is it a CD?

Oct 27 16 10:59 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

not a fan. i think she's goofy, and her voice is mediocre (whatever of it you actually ever hear). having said that, whomever came up with this mash-up should get a medal. smile

love me some meshuggah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU63P50ag0c

Oct 27 16 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

SAND DIAL wrote:
The second half reminds me of Ryan Adams' version of 1989.  !!!!!!!!!

What did you pay for it? Is it a CD?

I bought the "high-res" version from HDtracks. It's 24 bit, but the same sample rate as a CD.

I don't normally buy pop music new - I usually wait until it's been out a couple months and buy the CD used for five bucks. Even when there is a true high-res version, I don't find it usually matters much for most recordings.

But a fellow fan recently did me a favour, so I thought I'd buy the best version I could find before he had a chance to buy it himself.

Do the exclamation marks mean that you agree, or that you think I'm crazy? I thought a couple of those later tracks - especially Angel Down - had a serious 1989 vibe. They definitely sound like a mix of dance and alt-country - both in tone and lyrically.

Oct 27 16 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

She can certainly hold a crowd's attention.

Lady Gaga - Imagine (Live at Baku 2015 European Games Opening Ceremony)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ues1stefk

Lady Gaga - Star-Spangled Banner (Live at Super Bowl 50)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbXSZBnBOQ4

live in Montreal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbQylZsmQTM

Oct 27 16 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

As an artist, I really like and appreciate Lady Gaga's journey, thoughts and influence and the masses of people she inspires.

As a man... I concur with Yoko Ono's sentiment that Lady Gaga "has a pretty bottom"... wink

I am following loosely her growth and journey as an artist.

Oct 27 16 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The woman is a parody of herself and she doesn't even know it. Deep down, she has a lot of talent and a beautiful voice. The problem is, so do a zillion other people who never get noticed and get their lucky break to become famous. Gaga was manufactured just like so many other pop stars, boy bands, etc. She's no different. She was constructed by an agent and an army of record executives. To sell her music she had to result to all sorts of idiotic antics, ridiculous costumes, and behaving like a moron in public.

Then, in a fit of "brilliance" she decided she knew more than anyone else and fired all the people who constructed her into the fame she had because she knew more about the record industry than anyone else. The result, her next album totally tanked. She had one hit that she released long before the whole album came out and when it did, everyone realized the rest of the tracks were terrible.

Then she decided to "re-invent" herself. She stopped with the 16 inch heels and clown costumes and wanted to "get real". She did some really nice performances with a piano...made casual appearances on a few shows, and she started to become a real human being for a change.

Then the pendulum swings back and now she's behaving like a buffoon again. Oe minute she's catering to every idiot social justice warrior, spouting off arbitrary, fake rape statistics and the next she's singing about the poor ol' Trayvon Martin on another album that bombed. Blech...give me a break.

If this woman actually grew a brain and performed with some dignity for a change, maybe she could earn some respect. I remember hearing her first hit, Just Dance, in a nightclub one night before she was a household name and I just knew she was going to have a hit with that. She had a lot of potential back then. Now, she's just a big zero in my book.

Oct 27 16 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I am not sure I understand what you want from a pop artist, Adam.

You're upset that someone is manufactured, but then you criticize them for poor sales after they ditch their handlers? It sounds like maybe you're saying the manufacturing system works well.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that every album an artist puts out ought to be in the same vein as their debut?

I've got no problem with manufactured pop, provided it's done well. You can't get much more manufactured than The Spice Girls, and those records were really good for what they are.

I think the issue is we get caught up in artists, and nor music. If Artpop had a different name on it, it would have been a hit - but pop fans didn't like it because it didn't sound like her other stuff, and 'mature' music fans didn't give it much due because it had her name on it.

Sales aside, it's been a generally very well-reviewed record. And there is no one - David Bowie, patron saint of art rock included - that has ever been able to make 'the record they want' that has as much success as their poppier work - it's a different market.

Hence the age old question:  Revolver, or Sergeant Pepper?

Oct 28 16 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Zack Zoll wrote:

Pfft. Revolver, hands down.

Oh, wait, that was a rhetorical question. Sorry, never mind.

But definitely Revolver.

Oct 28 16 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

kickfight wrote:
Pfft. Revolver, hands down.

Oh, wait, that was a rhetorical question. Sorry, never mind.

But definitely Revolver.

yeah, i never get all the accolades tossed at sgt pepper's. it has a couple great songs on it, but it's not the best beatles lp, by a long shot. revolver or rubber soul (the 2 Rs) are way better, more influential, records than sgt pepper's was. even abbey road, or--heaven forbid--the white album were better.

and their earlier works were great, too, but they really started to come into their own by "help!".

Oct 28 16 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Agreed.

But Sgt. Pepper has better singles, like any good pop record.

I remember John saying how dumb it is that they got credit for making the "first concept album" with that, because the concept falls apart after the third track, and they stole the idea anyway. But as he said, they got credit because they're The Beatles, and they said so.

Also, I think I'm done with most of Joanne. There are a few tracks I'll keep on rotation, but the second half is really starting to piss me off - I feel like almost every track on the back end is a ripoff of something. There's even a track that sounds like I Just Called to Say I Love You set over Sir Duke.

Stevie Wonder's blind - not deaf.

Maybe she only had one Artpop in her? I love the hell out of that record, but history is full of musicians that made just one awesome record.

Also, I found out Josh Homme played on Sweetest Illusion. Way to waste talent.

Funny thing is, I've accidentally continued my streak of paying money for almost everything he does.

Oct 29 16 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

GK photo wrote:
yeah, i never get all the accolades tossed at sgt pepper's. it has a couple great songs on it, but it's not the best beatles lp, by a long shot. revolver or rubber soul (the 2 Rs) are way better, more influential, records than sgt pepper's was. even abbey road, or--heaven forbid--the white album were better.

and their earlier works were great, too, but they really started to come into their own by "help!".

The thing is that SPLHCB was, by design and intent, *not* "a Beatles album", and in that specific context, it succeeds spectacularly. It succeeded perhaps too well, in fact, because of all the work they put into making it sound different than not only their previous work, but pretty much anything else on the market up to that point. They also lavished attention on the overall atmosphere of the album, down to the over-the-top iconic cover art ---with all members sporting facial hair, John wearing his granny glasses on an album cover for the first time, etc--- plus the printed lyrics on the back and the cardboard inserts and specially-designed slip cover and all that stuff. It's a masterpiece of pop music packaging and pretty much guaranteed that alternate personas indulging in extraordinary audiovisual excess would now be "a thing" that pop/rock musicians should aspire to do at some point.

There's about 25% killer stuff on there, 25% interesting but not essential things, and the rest is pretty much filler. For a Beatles album, that's missing the mark quite a bit. As I see it, the essential albums (as complete albums) are A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, The Beatles and Abbey Road. You do get a few clunkers in there (especially in the White Album), but for the most part those are high on killer and low on filler.

OTOH, Joanne is essentially the reverse approach: after a career of playing the Lady Gaga role first and foremost, the implication here is that we are finally getting at least a peek at the actual musician (Stephanie Joanne Germanotta) behind the persona, with all the Mother Monster audiovisual fandango stripped away to a certain degree.

As always, regardless of approach, it will inevitably come down to how the public responds to the actual music, beyond all the conceptual conceits and marketing juggernauts and so on.

Oct 29 16 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
I am not sure I understand what you want from a pop artist, Adam.

Someone to sing pop music. It's not complicated. Unfortunately for her, the music got her known, but she had to rely on goofy stunts to keep her there.

https://stefanigerman0tta.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/gaggagagga.jpg

https://assets.gcstatic.com/u/apps/asset_manager/uploaded/2010/05/lady-gaga-at-the-grammys-1265006205-view-1.jpg

Believe it or not, some pop stars actually don't have to resort to that stuff to be popular.

[img]You're upset that someone is manufactured, but then you criticize them for poor sales after they ditch their handlers? It sounds like maybe you're saying the manufacturing system works well.[/img]

I'm not upset at all that she's manufactured, but let's be honest...she's manufactured! So were the Backstreat Boys, NSYNC, etc. I have no issue with that, but it would seem as though once she got famous she imploded a bit and didn't like the reality of the fact that her act was manufactured by other people so she decided to "prove" to all those people that she was actually famous because of her talent (which she wasn't) and she failed...more than once. These folks give themselves way too much credit and frequently think they are smarter than they are.

Kind of reminds me of when Sheryl Crow released her first album. She was an unknown and Walmart decided to back her and contributed to an overwhelming majority of her CD sales. Without Walmart, she would still be singing in bars somewhere. So what does she do? Her next album she slams Walmart...a very brilliant move indeed. Walmart dropped her like old luggage and her record sales have never recovered. All of her albums she released after the first one have not had combined sales that equaled her first album. It's also funny listening to her rant about how all people only need 1 square of toilet paper to save the environment too.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that every album an artist puts out ought to be in the same vein as their debut?

Consistency is fine but so is variety. Let's be honest though, some people only have one good album in them.

I've got no problem with manufactured pop, provided it's done well. You can't get much more manufactured than The Spice Girls, and those records were really good for what they are.

I absolutely agree. Lest we forget, the Jacksons were manufactured pop too.

I've always been more of a Abbey Road fan myself, but definitely Beatles over Rolling Stones. smile

Oct 29 16 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Fair enough, Adam. Fair enough.

But I disagree with Beatles over Stones. Sort of. Ish. Hard to say, really.

As far as music I listen to right now, I'd put Beggar's Banquet and Exile on Main Street(and about half of Goat's Head Soup) over anything in The Beatles' catalog. Maybe Sticky Fingers, if I had been drinking.

If I were hearing them at the time, I suspect my mind would be too blown from all the weird shit The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and later on Zeppelin, Sabbath, the Velvets, the Stooges, and Tull were doing to care much about the Stones, who were a little of all that.

Assuming I still had access to all that music. Half of that was impossible to find when it came out. Hendrix was a relative nobody until he got the Woodstock gig from Spirit, who was huge at the time. Today, people think everybody owned Hendrix records, and nobody would know who Spirit is if not for the Zeppelin lawsuit.

From a historical perspective, Beatles all the way. I don't think any other act but Chuck Berry has ever been that influential - although some studios and producers have been.

But it's not an East/West coast rivalry ...the fact is that nobody in The Beatles could ever have written Heartbreaker or All Down the Line, and nobody in the Stones could have ever written Lady Madonna or I am the Walrus.

Once Banquet came out, they were completely different bands.

But before then ... They pretty much just had Satisfaction sad

Oct 29 16 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Zack Zoll wrote:
Fair enough, Adam. Fair enough.

But I disagree with Beatles over Stones. Sort of. Ish. Hard to say, really.

As far as music I listen to right now, I'd put Beggar's Banquet and Exile on Main Street(and about half of Goat's Head Soup) over anything in The Beatles' catalog. Maybe Sticky Fingers, if I had been drinking.

If I were hearing them at the time, I suspect my mind would be too blown from all the weird shit The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and later on Zeppelin, Sabbath, the Velvets, the Stooges, and Tull were doing to care much about the Stones, who were a little of all that.

Assuming I still had access to all that music. Half of that was impossible to find when it came out. Hendrix was a relative nobody until he got the Woodstock gig from Spirit, who was huge at the time. Today, people think everybody owned Hendrix records, and nobody would know who Spirit is if not for the Zeppelin lawsuit.

From a historical perspective, Beatles all the way. I don't think any other act but Chuck Berry has ever been that influential - although some studios and producers have been.

But it's not an East/West coast rivalry ...the fact is that nobody in The Beatles could ever have written Heartbreaker or All Down the Line, and nobody in the Stones could have ever written Lady Madonna or I am the Walrus.

Once Banquet came out, they were completely different bands.

But before then ... They pretty much just had Satisfaction sad

Chuck Berry is going to release a new album.  He is 90 years old.

Oct 29 16 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Also, good point on The Jacksons. If you like to be happy, they were about the best band ever.

Interesting tidbit about monster Motown session bassist James Jamerson:  he used the same bass every session, he plugged it right into the mixer(no amp!), and he changed his strings something like twice the whole time he worked for Gordy.

Really makes you reconsider gear lust - both as a musician and as a photographer. I could have a hit record every year for the rest of my life and not have as much success with what he got from what would be a single $1000 investment today. $800, if you bought used. $350, if you found a used, especially nice Mexican bass.

Oct 29 16 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I heard about Chuck's record! I'm looking forward to it.

I wonder if he'll go the stripped-down route, or the Young Guns route ... It seems like all the old guys do one or the other.

Oct 29 16 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Do the exclamation marks mean that you agree, or that you think I'm crazy?

Neither. They are to show surprise at the comparison.

As far as Chuck Berry goes, its his first album in 27 or 30 some years.

What Gaga song is about Trayvon?

Oct 30 16 08:40 am Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Is Gaga a has been?

Oct 30 16 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

I didn't look it up, but I'm guessing Angel Down. It's one of the stronger songs on the record, but so over the top that it has to be it.

I don't think we can say if she's a has-been. A lot of people do think that, but they probably would have called Dylan a has-been, and said he went electric because he ran out of acoustic songs.

I think we can all agree that Mother Monster is dead though. Time will tell if this is a transition album, or just what she puts out now.

Anybody remember Probot? That was a Dave Grohl project where he drummed for Lemmy, King Diamond, Max Cavalera, and a bunch of other metal vocalists. About half of that record was really good, the rest was solid, and the Lemmy track(Shake Your Blood) was right up there with the classic Mötörhead tunes.

I'd really like to see her do a record like that.

As long as I'm wishing, let's just put her on the next Them Crooked Vultures record.

Oct 30 16 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Fair

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Never heard her sing until checking the links in this thread.

Star Spangled Banner was cool, and Imagine didn't suck. If the live in Montreal link was what she's about, I haven't missed anything from not hearing her in the past.

I did see her a couple few years ago as a judge on SYTYCD, she dressed weird.

Oct 30 16 09:45 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

I agree that it's too soon to suggest that Gaga's a "has been". There's plenty of interesting things she can do to keep herself relevant to her target audience as they get older and put away (or are stripped of) the superficial trappings of youth. It'll be interesting to see what happens, because I feel she's got the talent and the savvy to go the distance.

In the meantime, Joanne is her fourth consecutive Billboard-chart-topping album, with better-than-expected debut sales.

Oct 30 16 01:19 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Lady Gaga is doing what many pop stars seem to do after they get a bunch of money - retire from the pop scene and work on projects they actually WANT to do. Hence, the jazz album and the Tony Bennett stuff.

As for the crazy outfits; people are totally cool with KISS members looking like goofballs,  but when a woman performer dresses weird, she's just "looking for attention" or "doesn't have real talent."

If anything, Gaga seemed to have based her style on classic entertainers who also had a flair for eccentricity such as...ummm... you know, David Bowie. And everyone loved David Bowie for dressing weird.

Is she a has-been? No, because she's rich as hell and probably now able to work on the types of music she always WANTED to do, but didn't have the opportunity to do ten years ago. Or maybe she is a "has  been" but I doubt she cares, because she's making jazz albums and not giving a sideways shit about what anyone has to say about it.

Oct 30 16 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

One of the greatest delights of being alive in the 2010s is seeing so many women in popular music doing their own damn thing on their own terms in spite of everything. All praise be to Gaga and Miley and Katy and RiRi and Taylor and Adele and of course, Queen Bey, in whose shadow we all dwell but in whose light we all bask. smile

Oct 30 16 04:50 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

kickfight wrote:
One of the greatest delights of being alive in the 2010s is seeing so many women in popular music doing their own damn thing on their own terms in spite of everything. All praise be to Gaga and Miley and Katy and RiRi and Taylor and Adele and of course, Queen Bey, in whose shadow we all dwell but in whose light we all bask. smile

...and Lemonade... honestly, no one is going to see that for what it's worth for another 20-30 years, at least.

When I was a teen in the 90s, female pop stars were still "girls." Today, women in pop are grown.

Or, at least, they feel like they can be grown - without the repercussions that would have been there two decades ago. I'm 34 and have always followed pop music. when Miley Cyrus came out with Wrecking Ball, with her short hair and male-styled tank top, I was like "Finally, women can just....be. We can be!!" I seriously watched that music video probably 50 times and teared up every time and it never had anything to do with the song. All my peers thought I was crazy.

Oct 30 16 05:25 pm Link