This thread was locked on 2016-11-07 13:22:04
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > All my camera gear -stolen last week - fundraiser

Model

Trisha Lurie

Santa Monica, California, US

Hey guys smile Hope everyone is having a great week! So, I am running a fundraiser to get back on my feet after all of my camera equipment was stolen a little over a week ago. I'm super uncomfortable reaching out for help but when you are a mother and on the brink of financial crisis, it's funny how asking for help seems silly not to do. It has been a super humbling and difficult time but I have been blown away by peoples support and generosity! I'm also looking for work and would love to know of anything cool regarding art or photography or music projects. So, if you feel like checking out my fundraiser or would like to share this with anyone please feel free! Here is the link to my go fund me with the whole story. I hope you have a happy Halloween! https://www.gofundme.com/stolencamerafund

Oct 27 16 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I don't think these kind of posts are allowed.
If they are, can someone kick me down some money too? if it helps I can come up with a sob story.

Best of luck with getting your gear back.
check on craigslist and in pawn shops.

Protect your stuff better!!

Oct 27 16 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think they allow these posts in special situations, but people can tend to be a bit skeptical.

Oct 27 16 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Oct 27, 2016 08:00 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Trolling

Oct 27 16 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

True story or not but God damn... $1,855 of $4,500 goal so far.

Oct 27 16 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Oct 27, 2016 08:03 pm
Comments:
Trolling

Oct 27 16 03:10 pm Link

Model

Trisha Lurie

The F-Stop wrote:
sounds like a scam to me.

It's truly not a scam, I knew I was running a risk with people saying mean stuff on mm but I read the forum rules and it said it was allowed. I have been part of MM for about 11 years now and respect everyones art and contribution. I understand your point of view but sometimes you have to take a risk and reach out for help. It's not an easy thing to do actually. But, I thought in this community in particular there might be some compassion. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to visit my go fund me page, if you did smile and respectfully, I do wish you a great week! Trisha Lurie

Oct 27 16 04:13 pm Link

Model

Trisha Lurie

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
If they are, can someone kick me down some money too? if it helps I can come up with a sob story.

Best of luck with getting your gear back.
check on craigslist and in pawn shops.

Protect your stuff better!!

Thanks! I have been checking CL, local pawn shops and filed a police report and I'm doing everything I can but no luck so far.
I did learn my lesson though, I should have had insurance.
P.s. If I wasn't so broke right now, and you had a go fund me and needed help... I would totally help. I have contributed to many throughout the years and that is what gave me the idea to reach out for help smile

Oct 27 16 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

In the past year, I've personally known two photographers who have had their cars broken into & their gear stolen.  I know these photographers well enough to believe them.

I don't know the OP.

But if her story is true, it's so sad that so many people here are mean to her.  If you don't want to contribute to her cause (for whatever reason), then don't.  What's the point of doubting her story here?

Oct 27 16 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Wait....  You let your stuff get ripped off, and then want money from strangers to replace it, because of your incompetence?   

Ummmm, No...  btw, I dropped my 70.200 2.8 lens and it broke.  Send me some coins....

No soup for YOU!

Oct 27 16 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Rather than ask for money, you might get someone here  to donate their spare, older backup camera.

Oct 27 16 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

oops

Oct 27 16 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Oct 27, 2016 08:02 pm
Comments:
Trolling

Oct 27 16 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

You are a model and photographer.

Oct 27 16 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I was in California in April, May and part of June. I was in a small city close to San Bernadino.

Since I was getting ready to shoot at a nudist camp nearby. The model and I stopped off at a Denny's for a quick bite.

In the Car was the models net netbook computer, my Cannon 7D with an L series 24 x 105 mm lens, my Fuji X 100S and my i-pad 7 air.

The ass wipe smashed my rear passenger window stealing only the net book and my Cannon 7 D with the lens.

So, I had no choice made some calls and was able to get a almost new Cannon 5 D Mark ll. And an new lens that was exactly the lens I had. All together with a 120 gig memory card the cost was just under $3,000. Since I needed a camera for the rest of my trip, I had to get money out of my retirement fund to purchase what I needed.  Boy my wife back in MN was pissed.

Maybe I should have started a go fund me page.  Oh wait I'm not a model... so you can imagine how many models or even photographers would have even given me a buck.

I know models are entitled to ask for anything these days and I guess there will be those that give her money. But why does she need over $4,000 Somehow that seems excessive.

Oct 27 16 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Virtual Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

They're allowed ever since one of the mods put up a begging thread and they changed the rules retroactively to cover her ass and allow it.

Oct 27 16 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Say -- does anyone insure their gear?

Back in the old days, when I was traveling a lot with my gear, I had a rider on my home insurance that covered my camera.  I was covered if my gear was stolen out of my car while I was on the road.  All the gear (and the serial numbers) were registered in my policy.

Lately, I do nearly all of my photography at home, and I've made sure that my gear is covered by my regular home insurance.  I dropped the special rider.  I do take my little P&S camera out when I walk around and/or travel, but its replacement value is maybe $500 or less, so there is no special insurance for it.

But I do have a spreadsheet where I've recorded the serial numbers of pretty much everything that has a serial number.

So -- who's explored insurance for their gear?

Oct 27 16 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Why not a 2nd hand rig ?
I have all used gear from KEH
No way I could afford $5400 for latest body
OP could be up and running with $$$ already in her Kickstarter
https://www.keh.com/

Oct 27 16 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

I looked into Renters Insurance
It was pretty inexpensive
I never leave my gear in cars

Oct 27 16 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

SAND DIAL

Trisha has been at MM for 11 years. She is not fly by night.

Oct 27 16 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Say -- does anyone insure their gear?

Back in the old days, when I was traveling a lot with my gear, I had a rider on my home insurance that covered my camera.  I was covered if my gear was stolen out of my car while I was on the road.  All the gear (and the serial numbers) were registered in my policy.

Lately, I do nearly all of my photography at home, and I've made sure that my gear is covered by my regular home insurance.  I dropped the special rider.  I do take my little P&S camera out when I walk around and/or travel, but its replacement value is maybe $500 or less, so there is no special insurance for it.

But I do have a spreadsheet where I've recorded the serial numbers of pretty much everything that has a serial number.

So -- who's explored insurance for their gear?

I have business insurance that covers my equipment wherever I am.  I once thought I'd get this really great shot of a waterfall with my medium format camera and digital back.  Right after the shot, me and my camera fell backwards into six feet of water.  The insurance bought me an $8000 replacement.   I probably actually came out ahead.

Oct 27 16 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

here's a suggestion, and I hope you take this as it's intended (to be helpful)- get a real job.
If your whole life comes crashing down because you had your camera stolen, then likely a single camera and a few lenses aren't enough to sustain a lifestyle, especially for a family.
There are numerous occupations which not only allow you to work from home many times but also which likely will include insurance. Stay with the photography as a side gig until you can build a big enough business to support both you and your son.
As someone who was once homeless/destitute, I understand frustration...however use your survival instinct to your advantage.

Oct 28 16 04:10 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

In the past year, I've personally known two photographers who have had their cars broken into & their gear stolen.  I know these photographers well enough to believe them.

I don't know the OP.

But if her story is true, it's so sad that so many people here are mean to her.  If you don't want to contribute to her cause (for whatever reason), then don't.  What's the point of doubting her story here?

Hear, hear! Be nice! Or at least neutral!

Oct 28 16 04:57 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

even so, items stolen from a Vehicle are covered under Comprehensive.

Oct 28 16 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PhillipM wrote:
Wait....  You let your stuff get ripped off, and then want money from strangers to replace it, because of your incompetence?   

Ummmm, No...  btw, I dropped my 70.200 2.8 lens and it broke.  Send me some coins....

No soup for YOU!

I hate to sound callous but I have to agree with you. What is it these days with people being perfectly OK asking strangers for money because of their own poor decisions? You have thousands of dollars in gear and you didn't bother to insure it? Really?

It's one thing if you're some hobbiest with a grand or two in camera gear and it gets stolen...that can easily be filed with your home or car insurance. But if you are a professional shooter with no insurance, you're a moron and I don't think you deserve much sympathy. It's lousy that your gear was stolen, but at the same time, this could easily have not been a catastrophic loss if you just bothered to pay a few bucks a year.

Let this be a lesson to everyone out there. If you don't have your gear insured, do it today.

Oct 28 16 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SAND DIAL wrote:

All the more reason she should have known better than to not insure her gear. If you can afford a camera body and a lens, you can afford the insurance to cover it.

Oct 28 16 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Just to be clear, I don't think the OP has said that her gear was stolen out of her car.  I said that I know two photographers who had gear stolen out of their car.  I don't think we should assume that this was a "stolen out of car" situation.

Oct 28 16 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

SAND DIAL wrote:

Were you around for the Clare Hesse cancer/death/hoax/debacle ?
A healthy dose of scepticism is totally reasonable and in no way "mean"

Oct 28 16 08:33 am Link

Model

Trisha Lurie

Well... thank you all for all your input smile I guess most people didn't read the whole go fund me page but I didn't really expect anyone to so, I understand.
Yes, it was terrible that I had my gear stolen and that I didn't have insurance which was a huge mistake. Yes, I am a model and photographer and I do make money to support myself and my son shooting various things but mostly I was shooting bands live music videos and such. As to some of the comments about whether or not I should be counting on photography to survive, etc. I actually was working full time with a guitar company (I paint custom guitars as well) and out of the blue the company dissolved and so did my job. I was fortunate enough to have the photography/videography as a back up but then all my gear got stolen. It was super shitty. Sometimes, when it rains, it pours.
Anyway, yeah, so here I'm with a child who depends on me and all these bills adding up, eviction notices and no way to catch up. I have even started babysitting, cleaning houses, assisting other photographers, etc. trying anything to make ends meet. I thought I would do a go fund me just to get me back on my feet. I have been a donor to may campaigns over the years and thought it was a cool way to help each other out.
I guess it was a bad idea to reach out here in support. I will be deleting the thread and wish everyone well.
To those who offered good advice and support thank you so much, to everyone else, I understand you as well. I get how this looks.
Regardless, good luck to everyone and their art. I hope good favor and good fortune rain on your careers smile
Much love and respect. Trisha Lurie.

Oct 28 16 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Moderator Warning!
Folks, you have two choices here;
1. Find a way to be supportive and contribute to this thread in a positive manner.
2. Stay out of this thread completely.

Further off-topic and/or disrespectful post will likely result in your forum privileges being taken away for a while.

Oct 28 16 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

After reading more from the OP, I get it.   Many people are struggling to make ends meet and shi# happens.   Several years ago a photographer on Musecube mentioned having her film camera stolen.   I had one and I sent it to her.  My demonic ex wife said she was probably lying.   If so then that's on her.   Insurance through the PPA or renters insurance is often very cheap but when every penny counts not something everyone can do.   OP, if you're still reading this.   Perhaps some photographers will be willing to trade you a older working DLSR for modeling.   

I admit to being jaded at times.   This may sound odd but once you get some gear take some shots of your son to some agencies.   He's a nice looking kid and its possible could do commercials.    You look great if paid modeling is slow check into being an extra or even doing film.   I buy good used equipment from Ebay all the time.   A nice DLSR can be found for $300.00 (including lens)    A duo core laptop can easily be $100.00 to $200.00 sometimes with a SSD.   Memory cards are also cheap.   If you need suggestions let me know.   I would start by looking for a trade for modeling time though.   Lots of photographers have cameras they don't use.

Oct 28 16 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Trisha Lurie wrote:
Well... thank you all for all your input smile I guess most people didn't read the whole go fund me page but I didn't really expect anyone to so, I understand.
Yes, it was terrible that I had my gear stolen and that I didn't have insurance which was a huge mistake. Yes, I am a model and photographer and I do make money to support myself and my son shooting various things but mostly I was shooting bands live music videos and such. As to some of the comments about whether or not I should be counting on photography to survive, etc. I actually was working full time with a guitar company (I paint custom guitars as well) and out of the blue the company dissolved and so did my job. I was fortunate enough to have the photography/videography as a back up but then all my gear got stolen. It was super shitty. Sometimes, when it rains, it pours.
Anyway, yeah, so here I'm with a child who depends on me and all these bills adding up, eviction notices and no way to catch up. I have even started babysitting, cleaning houses, assisting other photographers, etc. trying anything to make ends meet. I thought I would do a go fund me just to get me back on my feet. I have been a donor to may campaigns over the years and thought it was a cool way to help each other out.
I guess it was a bad idea to reach out here in support. I will be deleting the thread and wish everyone well.
To those who offered good advice and support thank you so much, to everyone else, I understand you as well. I get how this looks.
Regardless, good luck to everyone and their art. I hope good favor and good fortune rain on your careers smile
Much love and respect. Trisha Lurie.

I understand your situation and wish you good luck.    smile

Oct 28 16 10:26 am Link

Photographer

San Diego, California, US

Post hidden on Nov 03, 2016 02:08 pm
Reason: off-topic
Comments:
Please use the Market forum to sell your equipment.

Oct 28 16 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Gallery 59 Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I sent you a private message. I may have a temporary solution that might help you out. Thanks.

Oct 28 16 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

They really aren't. Well maybe when it happened to me last spring Liberty Mutual said I was a professional photographer since I had a website and I traveled to shoot models.  My homeowners insurance would only pay me $250 for. 3 year old 7 D and a F4 L series lens because that was the most I could collect as a professional.  I argued then I ignored my claim because the payout was absurd.  When I got back to Minneapolis my wife said they were calling my home and accusing me of fraud. This is a total scam, like most insurance. Car insurance in my case would not cover anything. I had both my home owners and my car insurance with Liberty Mutual. The did at least repair the smashed window, though that took all day.

Oct 29 16 04:57 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Post hidden on Nov 03, 2016 02:17 pm
Comments:
Knock it off

Oct 29 16 05:52 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

$2,325! More than halfway to goal! 🤑

Trust but verify. I have communicated with others, looked at her longevity, body of work and I support her efforts to get back in the game.

My rationale in situations like this is pretty philosophical: even in the very unlikely event I get duped and it is a genuine scam, my conscience is clear, I helped when asked. If they abused my trust, they have to live with their conscience. Not my problem.

---
http://www.usdebtclock.org US has close to $20 TRILLION in debt.
Please don't hammer anyone so hard for not having insurance because they have economic hardship.
And please don't refer to people as moronic, idiotic, stupid, retarded--unless they self deprecatingly started it! 😉 E.g. https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/961998

Negative name calling simply not professional, is it?
Furthermore, it's not supportive.

A totally different MMer asked me why I am helping them so much and I explained that so MANY people from MM have spent so many hours and even literally opened up their homes, etc. Merely paying it forward.

Anyway, I have a tendency to take up for the disadvantaged. BTDT!

Oct 29 16 09:57 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

So sorry for your misfortune Trisha, some days we can all use a hand up.

Oct 29 16 10:30 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

$2,430 raised for
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/070728/00/46aad74f11e19_m.jpg!

Oct 31 16 06:52 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Be nice!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150126/21/54c727531bb36_m.jpg

Oct 31 16 06:53 am Link