This thread was locked on 2016-11-09 22:49:12
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > If ya don't vote today . . .

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

.  .  .  ya ain't allowed ta bitch about da results tomorrow  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 08 16 07:15 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

not to worry. i haven't voted for either of the big two candidates since '00. i never understand the "lesser of two evil" voters. i'm just glad that this cycle is effing over after today (hopefully), and that one of these top two jokers will finally become an afterthought.

and i mainly go to the polls for local stuff. the ca ballot this year was particularly cumbersome.

Nov 08 16 07:38 am Link

Photographer

David Shinobi

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

History today either way....

First woman President or first non politician.

Wish I could vote for Theo Epstein borat

Nov 08 16 07:49 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Abstaining is still a vote.  It is a decision to permit others to make a decision.  We are FREE to do so.

Abdicating a right to vote does not cause one to relinquish those rights that are guaranteed by the Constitution.  Bitch all you want, as far as I am concerned.

Not that I look forward to enduring the poll workers hovering within the legal setback from the door, I intend to vote and would encourage others to vote.    smile

Nov 08 16 07:52 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Will be staying awake late tonight for this one, so much bitterness and hatred - which makes for entertaining viewing!

Nov 08 16 08:00 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Abstaining is still a vote.  It is a decision to permit others to make a decision.  We are FREE to do so.

Abdicating a right to vote does not cause one to relinquish those rights that are guaranteed by the Constitution.  Bitch all you want, as far as I am concerned.

Not that I look forward to enduring the poll workers hovering within the legal setback from the door, I intend to vote and would encourage others to vote.    smile

+1

Nov 08 16 08:27 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

Duly noted  .  .  .  nice to live in a place that we can bitch no matter what the outcome is  .  .  .  wink  I think there's gonna be plenty of uproar later this evening either way  .  .  .  I guess at this point the most I kin hope fer is they don't tie at 269, and then havta have Congress convene to make a final decision, gawd only knows how long THAT could take  .  .  .

SOS

Nov 08 16 08:41 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Plague or cholera?

Okay - as a German Citizen I am not entitled to vote in the US and as a staunch follower of some smart minds like Thomas Jefferson or John Stuart Mill I regard it rather bad manners to tell other people and especially people in other countries how they have to vote.

But in the face of legions of political nannies who tell the world that one must not vote for Trump because if you do so the sky will collapse and the end of the world will come or at least the angels of the Church of Global Warming and the Lodge of Political Correctness will cry bitter tears I can understand everybody who checks "TRUMP" - be it just for the reason that it is teasing to do what so many nannies have told you not to do....

;-)

(And, okay, I would like to see the dumbfounded faces of many of my fellow Europeans if TheDonald should win. A lot of our politicians would have to hope nobody remembers their public statements when they make their first official visits in the White House with Trump in the Oval Office...)

Nov 08 16 08:47 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

The US had a choice between 22-23 candidates and this was the best that they could come up with....pretty shameful if you ask me.

Nov 08 16 08:49 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

TomFRohwer wrote:
(And, okay, I would like to see the dumbfounded faces of many of my fellow Europeans if TheDonald should win. A lot of our politicians would have to hope nobody remembers their public statements when they make their first official visits in the White House with Trump in the Oval Office...)

well, now this thread is going to be shuttered. i figured an abstract thread would be turned to poison inside of 5 posts. but at least it made it to 7. smile

Nov 08 16 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Seiran

Topeka, Kansas, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

+1

Nov 08 16 09:26 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:

well, now this thread is going to be shuttered. i figured an abstract thread would be turned to poison inside of 5 posts. but at least it made it to 7. smile

See, we're makin' progress  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 08 16 09:32 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Nov 08 16 09:35 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

sospix wrote:

See, we're makin' progress  .  .  .  wink

SOS

lol

Nov 08 16 09:38 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

I am in favor of an option--NOTA--None Of The Above https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/None_of_the_above

On the federal level, it's actual implementation would be very expensive...and would require a major change in laws, regulations, rules--there would be a massive number of moving parts to make it happen IRL.

---------------------
With all due respect, factually if the Republican candidate wins, it will be the 5th or 6th non politician (per something I've read somewhere and George Will).

The most recent non politician to win was Ike--but he was a 5-star general, Supreme Allied Commander. Pretty amazing character, if you ask me. According to one of his books he smoked about 5-packs a day. Then quit cold turkey. Asked how he did it, he explained, "I just gave myself an order!" Wow. If we could only run our lives with that level of internal/personal control!   

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/961307 Presidential History thread. I apologize for not knowing who the other non politicians who were president are/were...and while I'm tempted to go research it. I'll DG--Defer Gratification!

Nov 08 16 09:39 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

FFantastique wrote:
I am in favor of an option--NOTA--None Of The Above https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/None_of_the_above

On the federal level, it's actual implementation would be very expensive...and would require a major change in laws, regulations, rules--there would be a massive number of moving parts to make it happen IRL.

---------------------
With all due respect, factually if the Republican candidate wins, it will be the 5th or 6th non politician (per something I've read somewhere and George Will).

The most recent non politician to win was Ike--but he was a 5-star general, Supreme Allied Commander. Pretty amazing character, if you ask me. According to one of his books he smoked about 5-packs a day. Then quit cold turkey. Asked how he did it, he explained, "I just gave myself an order!" Wow. If we could only run our lives with that level of internal/personal control!   

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/961307 Presidential History thread. I apologize for not knowing who the other non politicians who were president are/were...and while I'm tempted to go research it. I'll DG--Defer Gratification!

I thought maybe we could "trade" leaders with Canada, but, I don't think they're gonna go fer it  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 08 16 09:50 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

sospix wrote:
.  .  .  ya ain't allowed ta bitch about da results tomorrow  .  .  .  wink

SOS

I am so, and I'm not voting. I still reserve the right for myself, and everyone else in my country to bitch about it tomorrow if I need to. smile I'm in Canada.

Nov 08 16 10:07 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

FFantastique wrote:
I apologize for not knowing who the other non politicians who were president are/were...and while I'm tempted to go research it. I'll DG--Defer Gratification!

well, i'd assume that potus #1 would have been in that list. and i'll also assume that any other military types would be the key. us grant, zachary taylor, etc.

the biggest mystery of this cycle will be decided next weekend. we'll finally know if the 24/7 election coverage has been responsible for the declining nfl ratings this year. smile i seriously doubt it, but it'll be fun to see.

Nov 08 16 10:11 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

DespayreFX wrote:

I am so, and I'm not voting. I still reserve the right for myself, and everyone else in my country to bitch about it tomorrow if I need to. smile I'm in Canada.

Hard ta argue with that  .  .  .  I'm sure the stench of this election is plenty noticeable up wind from us  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 08 16 10:24 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

GK photo wrote:

well, i'd assume that potus #1 would have been in that list. and i'll also assume that any other military types would be the key. us grant, zachary taylor, etc.

the biggest mystery of this cycle will be decided next weekend. we'll finally know if the 24/7 election coverage has been responsible for the declining nfl ratings this year. smile i seriously doubt it, but it'll be fun to see.

It's like smokin' in teens, ever since they got cell phones in their mitts, the cigs have been out da winda  .  .  .  I have a feelin' the "after election hangover" may last awhile  .  .  .  did I mention "my" Raidas is winnin'  .  .  .  there must be some correlation to the election process, they haven't won nuthin' in a decade  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 08 16 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

GK photo wrote:

George Washington served in the Virginia House of Burgesses 1758-1765, was a delegate to both Continental Congresses, and was President of the Constitutional Convention.

He was very much a politician before he was POTUS.

Nov 08 16 10:28 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Brian Diaz wrote:

George Washington served in the Virginia House of Burgesses 1758-1765, was a delegate to both Continental Congresses, and was President of the Constitutional Convention.

yeah yeah, but no one had been potus before then. i didn't clarify, but thanks for the reminder. tongue

Nov 08 16 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
The US had a choice between 22-23 candidates and this was the best that they could come up with....pretty shameful if you ask me.

As usual I went Libertarian ,
Because the #FeeltheJohnson hashtag is so awesome

Nov 08 16 11:21 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

ELIGIBILITY for POTUS is in the US Constitution, Article II, Section 1, Clause 5. Therefore unless the Canadian leader meets all those qualifications, including being Natural Born Citizen, he/she is ineligible for a swap deal.

VOTING: Geographical dispropinquity is not a disqualification for voting. One submariner, had his sub surface to get his ballot faxed to him. So just because one in Canada doesn't mean one can't vote in the US election. What may be disqualifying is if one is not at least a valid US citizen [In other words, dual, or triple citizenship may be frowned upon by some governments but is still feasible. Governments don't like dual nationals because sometimes it's hard to get their attention and loyalties and then if they're taken hostage by a hostile country which of the two or three nations are really responsible for negotiating/rescuing--it can get messy. Like bigamy or trigamy* (another word I made up.)]

VALID--To be valid [that's a term I'm using but there's probably a better word] one must not have had his/her voting rights revoked, i.e. sometimes felonies remove the right to vote. And sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. It's probably a lot more complicated than that  but I'll leave it to others to do the more advanced version.

REQUIRED/MANDATORY/COMPULSORY VOTING: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting  Some countries/places have it but I'm glad that freedom includes the option NOT to vote. One can go to the polls and cast a totally blank ballot. However, the machine may reject it and may require manual processing. It's called an undervote.

* https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/trigamy  As it turns out--somebody beat me to it!

Nov 08 16 11:23 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

I voted back in October, and got a nice e-mail from the Multnomah County Elections Division, telling me that my ballot was received, accepted as valid, and will be counted. smile

Nov 08 16 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

No matter how different ways I read them every election cycle, I still get misty eyed about people visiting the graves of the suffragettes where voters put their "I voted" stickers on the gravestone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/09/nyreg … etery.html

Nov 08 16 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

FFantastique wrote:

Its funny you should mention this.

I remember during one of my college intro to mathematics course (I forget specifically which one) to study the different methodologies in practice, we took a look at the carnival atmosphere of the 1992 Democratic primary.

One person would win with the plurality method (+1 than the nearest person). Another person won in a runoff format (50% +1 vote). Another person would win in a runoff style (eliminate all but the top two & then revote limiting it to just those two). Another person won if they were ranked (7-points for 1st place, 6-points for 2nd place, 5-for 3rd place, etc).

Nov 08 16 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

To say nothing about how politically a 3-star general has to be in order to balance out the needs of 13 states all who a say themselves as a member of a loose confederacy with competing interest that were often in conflict with the others.

Nov 08 16 12:00 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Augustine

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm voting on November 28!

Nov 08 16 12:24 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I got my vote in. Incredible lines for the other district at my voting place.

Every office was a choice between horribles.

A trick question was on the ballot:  To amend the PA constitution so that judges have to retire at the end of the calendar year in which they turn 75.  No mention about the retirement age being 70 now.  One party had the wording changed, even removed it from a previous election so it could be reworded in a way to make it more likely to pass.

Nov 08 16 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

My money's firmly on Trump. He's more personable than the press portrays him and he's undoubtedly got carried away in some of the things he's said. But being non PC will appeal to the masses even if they're not prepared to admit it openly. I suspect the result will be at odds with the polls and the pollsters will be left scratching their heads again.

Nov 08 16 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Factchecking myself:
Somewhere I posted that thrice it went to the house...according to this it's only twice.
http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/17203/qidx9

I can understand better why it's easy to misspeak when talking about so many topics to so many people, while tired and sleep deprive and cameras aimed at you!

Nov 08 16 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Anybody else feel really weird about doing a split ticket? There were a couple slots where I thought, 'well, he's not my guy ... but he's got a history of doing well for the community, and my guy is aggressively ignorant, and I don't see him accomplishing anything.'

And no, I'm not talking about the presidency.

I know that's how the system is supposed to work, but I still feel bad about it. I know I did my civic duty correctly, and it pisses me off that the system has conspired to make me feel bad about doing the right thing.

Nov 08 16 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

If someone feels our two party primary voting system produces 2 candidates neither of which is worthy of electing, they have every right to bitch in my opinion.

Nov 08 16 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
If someone feels our two party primary voting system produces 2 candidates neither of which is worthy of electing, they have every right to bitch in my opinion.

Disagreed. Choosing not to vote is saying, 'you guys all suck, and I want no part of this.' Even if you were a Bernie or Buster, you should at least write him in. It'll go nowhere, but will at least tell the Democrats what you think they should do next.

Lord knows he at least deserves more votes than Gary Johnson.

Nov 08 16 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

I abstained from voting because I don't like either candidate. 

I don't like Clinton at all, and I wouldn't have voted for her in any circumstance, and I don't like Trump much either.  I didn't want to vote for that clown... but it looks like the clown will win.

Well... at least a Trump presidency won't be boring.  Comedians will have plenty of material to work with...

Nov 08 16 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Fair

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I voted and ya aint gonna hear any bitching from me!

Nov 09 16 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

And now we all know the result.

Nov 09 16 02:38 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

TomFRohwer wrote:
And, okay, I would like to see the dumbfounded faces of many of my fellow Europeans if TheDonald should win.

I think pointing and laughing is likely to be a more typical reaction. And I don't think that's an entirely fair.

This election gave Americans two choices:

- A woman who supports what most Americans see as a treaty designed to impoverish them, NAFTA

- A huckster with an appalling record of screwing over his own investors and dubious sexual morals

Americans voted for the second because they had a hard choice to make. Trump is the only politician likely to offer them the chance to end NAFTA - and perhaps that really should be their political priority.

By comparison, the British political system is much more responsive to voter pressure - for example, whether you are pro or anti, look at Brexit. Lobbyists and elites matter so much in US politics that voters have in normal circumstances lost all policy making input:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 … lic-unive/

The people who voted for Trump, appalling as he is in many ways, voted against that. And even on foreign policy, Clinton is arguably more insane than Trump. The current confrontation in the Ukraine came about the US and NATO supported a defacto coup against a government the Russians could live with - a coup spearheaded by a no-kidding genuine Nazi party. I mean, an openly Nazi party that named its policy research centre to honour Goebels. De-escalating and recognizing that the Russians have an interest in a Ukraine that isn't run by Nazis seems like a no-brainer, but Clinton was against it.

All I can say now is "God help America.."

Nov 09 16 03:07 am Link

Photographer

thiswayup

Runcorn, England, United Kingdom

Of course if HC hadn't raised huge amounts of money from NAFTA supporting corporations, then Trump would probably have had to run against Sanders...

Nov 09 16 03:09 am Link