Forums > Model Colloquy > Know Your Worth

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Howdy, I am new to MM, but not the modeling world. While being on this site, I have seen some beautiful girls that look around 18, doing some risqué photos. My agent has taught me, "know your worth. Don't do anything you wouldn't be proud to show your grandmother". Some girls come on this site just to try and make it in the modeling world, but you need to have limits. Having limits makes photographers and agencies respect you and you respect yourself. Just a few words of advice! Everyone's beautiful and you don't need a camera to tell you. Have fun collaborating and coming up with fresh new ideas for photography, but have some respect for yourself. Best wishes to everyone on here!

Nov 26 16 09:41 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Apache Junction, Arizona, US

Limits are very individual. It is good to know your own limits and they vary from person to person.
My grandmother expected me to wear clothing that covered all but my face. That is certainly not my beliefs at all. If I lived life the way she believed people should I would be 100% miserable.
Live your life according to your own values and if you don't know what they are then get to know yourself. You will be much happier.
Don't let anyone else dictate your worth.

BTW a agents job is to further your career through promotion and business. They are not to be confused with therapists or parents. Good agents want originality and will promote that. Bad agents try to control you and are commonly referred to as slugos. If they can't do there job and expect to change you to what they can do then you have the wrong agent.
What is your agent getting out of your agreement?

Nov 26 16 10:06 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

To be young and naive and self confident enough to make judgements about the lives of other people when you you have lived such a short time.  What a way to start by poking large segment of the population on the site.  poke  Few people are going to criticize you for setting your limitations.  Why are you jumping right on to other people?

What makes you think that the grandmothers of these fine and talented models have not seen the pictures of their granddaughters nude?  Maybe their grandmothers will pose nude with them.  Nice generational art piece.

I hope you stay involved in this thread instead of shooting and ducking for cover.  You say in your profile that you want to gain knowledge of modeling.  Here is your start.  There are more types of modeling than the narrow definition that your advisers have given you.  You also say you want to become a photographer.  (heavy sigh)  I really wonder about the qualifications of your agent.  Does he/she have any art background?  Did he/she advise you about the limited market availability for 5'2" models?  Did he/she explain that there are many ways to garner respect and to loose it?  I have never once worked with a model that I did not render to her/him the utmost respect.

hienvy  I hope you do well (sincerely) on MM and welcome  (2 year old profile?).   I also hope you never get to experience the judgements people make when life happens and you realize that not everything that happens to you is your fault, and that it doesn't matter to judgemental people.  A snap shot is not enough information to determine the quality of a person's life, nor is it a reflection of God's love for a person- but it for some of his people.

Nov 26 16 10:07 am Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
To be young and naive and self confident enough to make judgements about the lives of other people when you you have lived such a short time.  What a way to start by poking large segment of the population on the site.  poke  Few people are going to criticize you for setting your limitations.  Why are you jumping right on to other people?

What makes you think that the grandmothers of these fine and talented models have not seen the pictures of their granddaughters nude?  Maybe their grandmothers will pose nude with them.  Nice generational art piece.

I hope you stay involved in this thread instead of shooting and ducking for cover.  You say in your profile that you want to gain knowledge of modeling.  Here is your start.  There are more types of modeling than the narrow definition that your advisers have given you.  You also say you want to become a photographer.  (heavy sigh)  I really wonder about the qualifications of your agent.  Does he/she have any art background?  Did he/she advise you about the limited market availability for 5'2", arrogant models?  Did he/she explain that there are many ways to garner respect and to loose it?

My agent and agency is a classy one. They have years of experience behind them and some "nudes" that people do is not tasteful or art. By "gaining knowledge of modeling" it means to meet new photographers and find out their style of photography. And I've had messages before, more likely by scammers, that don't understand the value of someone's worth. This post is for people to realize that posing nude isn't your only option and if someone tells you that it is, they are not the job for you. And the "narrow" definition is that modeling is art. But not all art is something you should feel obligated to partake in. And for my size, I have landed many promotions, jobs, and commercials. So before you go and judge someone on their height, you might want to check yourself because you sound like a hypocrite. "What makes you think that the grandmothers of these fine and talented models have not seen a 5'3" model? Maybe their grandmothers will pose with a 5'3" model. Nice generational art piece." But thank you for trying to degrade my post of telling women to not feel obligated to do something they don't want to.

Nov 26 16 10:17 am Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Caitin Bre  wrote:
Limits are very individual. It is good to know your own limits and they vary from person to person.
My grandmother expected me to wear clothing that covered all but my face. That is certainly not my beliefs at all. If I lived life the way she believed people should I would be 100% miserable.
Live your life according to your own values and if you don't know what they are then get to know yourself. You will be much happier.
Don't let anyone else dictate your worth.

BTW a agents job is to further your career through promotion and business. They are not to be confused with therapists or parents. Good agents want originality and will promote that. Bad agents try to control you and are commonly referred to as slugos. If they can't do there job and expect to change you to what they can do then you have the wrong agent.
What is your agent getting out of your agreement?

This is a very good comment. I do agree with getting to know yourself and not let anyone dictate your worth. My agent is like a parent to me, they have been with me for years and they know my style of photography. There's been plenty of times that "photographers" only want to shoot nudes and that's where my agent reminds me about my values. I do not do nudes or risqué photos, and when times are hard and can't find a job, I feel like that's my only option. So she simply reminds me why I started modeling in the first place.

Nov 26 16 10:20 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Ravenmichele wrote:
My agent and agency is a classy one. They have years of experience behind them and some "nudes" that people do is not tasteful or art. By "gaining knowledge of modeling" it means to meet new photographers and find out their style of photography. And I've had messages before, more likely by scammers, that don't understand the value of someone's worth. This post is for people to realize that posing nude isn't your only option and if someone tells you that it is, they are not the job for you. And the "narrow" definition is that modeling is art. But not all art is something you should feel obligated to partake in. And for my size, I have landed many promotions, jobs, and commercials. So before you go and judge someone on their height, you might want to check yourself because you sound like a hypocrite. "What makes you think that the grandmothers of these fine and talented models have not seen a 5'3" model? Maybe their grandmothers will pose with a 5'3" model. Nice generational art piece." [/b]But thank you for trying to degrade my post of telling women to not feel obligated to do something they don't want to[/b].

I don't think anyone is degrading your post. And i appreciate and respect that you are posting. I agree with the part about "not feel obligated to do something they don't want to". But by disagreeing with you nobody has said anything about that being wrong. Just slow down take a breath and allow others their opinions on the subjects. That is why you posted it right?

Nov 26 16 10:24 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Ravenmichele wrote:
My agent and agency is a classy one. They have years of experience behind them and some "nudes" that people do is not tasteful or art. By "gaining knowledge of modeling" it means to meet new photographers and find out their style of photography. And I've had messages before, more likely by scammers, that don't understand the value of someone's worth. This post is for people to realize that posing nude isn't your only option and if someone tells you that it is, they are not the job for you. And the "narrow" definition is that modeling is art. But not all art is something you should feel obligated to partake in. And for my size, I have landed many promotions, jobs, and commercials. So before you go and judge someone on their height, you might want to check yourself because you sound like a hypocrite. "What makes you think that the grandmothers of these fine and talented models have not seen a 5'3" model? Maybe their grandmothers will pose with a 5'3" model. Nice generational art piece." But thank you for trying to degrade my post of telling women to not feel obligated to do something they don't want to.

Do you think that the models on MM who have been doing this for 20 years, have not considered the ramifications of their actions?  Have you read the in depth conversations in the forums on the subject? 

I understand how you would be defensive and call me a hypocrite for saying there are limitations on a model that is 5'2"  or 3".  But that is the reality.  It isn't a hypnotically position to point out facts.  Please try to apply to New York agencies for runway jobs.  I did not say that you would not get opportunities, only that they are limited.

My definition of modeling is not narrow or limited to art.  My definition is far more inclusive than yours.

Your classification of what is artistic and what is not is your opinion.  I would certainly agree that there is stuff on MM that I would not consider artistic, but it isn't my call.

I have no problem with you keeping your clothes on, but you want to remind people that keeping their clothes on is somehow relative to what they are worth.  It is not true.  These are responsible, loving, caring people who see the world a bit different from you.

You said, "But thank you for trying to degrade my post of telling women to not feel obligated to do something they don't want to."  It is appropriate for you to tell them not to do something they want to do?  I would never- NEVER, tell a woman to do something she is uncomfortable doing.

Nov 26 16 10:25 am Link

Model

Caitin Bre

Ravenmichele wrote:
This is a very good comment. I do agree with getting to know yourself and not let anyone dictate your worth. My agent is like a parent to me, they have been with me for years and they know my style of photography. There's been plenty of times that "photographers" only want to shoot nudes and that's where my agent reminds me about my values. I do not do nudes or risqué photos, and when times are hard and can't find a job, I feel like that's my only option. So she simply reminds me why I started modeling in the first place.

Ok now we are getting somewhere.
If you draw the line at no nudes or risqué shots then that is your limits and your comfort level. Stick to what makes you comfortable and stay away from what doesn't.
People should not push you into something you don't want to do. Just say no and ignore them. If you are on a shoot and a photographer starts to push your limits and makes you uncomfortable then end the shoot and leave.
Yes there is more work for nudes and less people that will do them and that is what creates more demand. But it does not mean that anyone is taking work from you because it is work you do not feel comfortable doing anyway.
There is a lot of work that doesn't require nudity and your agent should be all over it for you. It does require a lot more work and the competition is greater because the supply exceeds the demand in many markets.

Oh and remember Art is subjective. Giving the freedom to every individual to determine for themselves what they find art to be is part of what art is about.

Nov 26 16 10:37 am Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Being a 5'3" model, yes you cannot participate in NY/Milan/Paris or any runway shows. However, I was able to participate in a Terry Costa Fashion Show because of my experience and passion for the love of modeling and runway. Yes, I can see you're being realistic, but you also aren't allowing the 1 in a million chances that can happen to anyone. My agent encouraged me to put myself out there on different sites and get to know different photographers, but sites like this are not solely for modeling. Yes, you get a few jobs here and there, but the main goal is to find an agency that will put your photo on their website and help you land jobs without having to make a million profiles on different sites. I will listen to others opinions, but I do not take kindly to people who don't think that petite models can measure up to high fashion runway models. This post was for the people that think they'll never measure up to what they believe and lower their standards. That you women are more than they believe and should know their worth and values.

Nov 26 16 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

You seem to equate nude photography with a certain "lack of respect".  That is utter nonsense of course. There are more than a few models on this site that make a living as nude art models who work for Universities and for sculptors and photographers.

There are amazing examples of "Classy" nude art on this site. And yes some that is not very good. 

Also most top fashion models pose for fashion nudes and are comfortable being nude in front of the camera.

It is ok that you are not. You should never pose nude if you don't want to.

But don't cast aspersions on a whole genre of art because you have a personal hang up.

Nov 26 16 10:41 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Ravenmichele wrote:
Being a 5'3" model, yes you cannot participate in NY/Milan/Paris or any runway shows. However, I was able to participate in a Terry Costa Fashion Show because of my experience and passion for the love of modeling and runway. Yes, I can see you're being realistic, but you also aren't allowing the 1 in a million chances that can happen to anyone. My agent encouraged me to put myself out there on different sites and get to know different photographers, but sites like this are not solely for modeling. Yes, you get a few jobs here and there, but the main goal is to find an agency that will put your photo on their website and help you land jobs without having to make a million profiles on different sites. I will listen to others opinions, but I do not take kindly to people who don't think that petite models can measure up to high fashion runway models. This post was for the people that think they'll never measure up to what they believe and lower their standards. That you women are more than they believe and should know their worth and values.

There is not a person on this site that I do not have compassion for.  There is not a person on this site that I would not want to succeed or break through barriers.  It would please me to no end for you to become a New York runway model at 5'3".  But the reality is that the clothes are made to fit a stereo type. 

I do not have a problem with petite models.  They supply their own clothes.  I shoot more clothed themes than I do nudes.  You said, "I do not take kindly to people who don't think that petite models can measure up ...."  I do not take kindly to people that denigrate good people because they have a fundamentally different policy on nudity.  The height of a person has never been a prerequisite in any shoot I have done.

When you suggest a person's value is related to their decision to pose nude, you display, politely, a naivety.  I know a few models that were scared to death the first time they posed nude.  I asked why they continued.  "It gives me self confidence" is one common answer.  "It allowed me to learn to appreciate my body," is another.  One was abused by the adults in her life.  She is a brilliant woman (phD) that was made to feel she couldn't do anything.  The last hurdle she has to over come is to appreciate her body.  She hasn't posed nude yet.  She can't even accept that she is a beautiful woman.  Her shame was taught to her by people who would shame her for posing nude, yet not be concerned about sexually abusing a child.

You realize that slavery and Jim Crow was perpetuated by people who told other people to stay in their place.  It has kept women subjugated to lower pay and the kitchen stove.  Peer pressure promotes evil, not freedom or morality.  Peer pressure and social pressures are tools of oppressive people.

Nov 26 16 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

OP, there is another thread below this one in Model Colloquy titled Topless or Bottomless.  It is an interesting read about women's perceptions of their own bodies.

Also, you credit your agent with quotes and advice, isn't it just normal respect to name the agent/agency?

Nov 26 16 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Most fashion models do nudes.   In fact our soon to be First Lady did.   Some even do erotic nudes.   Some of the best known current and past known models have done nudes and still do.   There is a huge difference between what works in Fort Worth, Texas and the world.   We all have the right to decide what is moral to us but deciding what it should be to others is silly and judgmental.   We determine our personal worth not others.   Models who feel nudes aren't for them shouldn't do them.   However those who want to or will be working in major markets should know that most models who shoot fashion do nudes.   

Commercial work is different and for sure their are fashion models who won't do nudes.   As for what someone is proud to show their grandmothers.   Are you living for your granny or yourself?

Nov 26 16 11:48 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Ravenmichele wrote:
My agent has taught me, "know your worth. Don't do anything you wouldn't be proud to show your grandmother".

In all the years I've been dealing with models never once has any of them mentioned being concerned about their grandmother being unhappy with their modelling. Children yes - plenty of times. Boyfriends - reasonably often. Employers - now and again. Grandmothers - never. The only time photographers/clients ever seem to hear about a model's grandmother is when she pops her clogs... smile

In the real world reputable agents instruct their models not to maintain profiles on internet modelling sites. There are very good reaons for that. What did your agent say to you about your MM profile Ravenmichelle?

Nov 26 16 11:48 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Ravenmichele wrote:

I reacted strongly.  You are young and I could have been more thoughtful.  I apologize.

Nov 26 16 11:57 am Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Most fashion models do nudes.   In fact our soon to be First Lady did.   Some even do erotic nudes.   Some of the best known current and past known models have done nudes and still do.   There is a huge difference between what works in Fort Worth, Texas and the world.   We all have the right to decide what is moral to us but deciding what it should be to others is silly and judgmental.   We determine our personal worth not others.   Models who feel nudes aren't for them shouldn't do them.   However those who want to or will be working in major markets should know that most models who shoot fashion do nudes.   

Commercial work is different and for sure their are fashion models who won't do nudes.   As for what someone is proud to show their grandmothers.   Are you living for your granny or yourself?

Your statement is actually false. Major markets do not require nudes.

Nov 26 16 12:14 pm Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

K I M I L Y wrote:

In all the years I've been dealing with models never once has any of them mentioned being concerned about their grandmother being unhappy with their modelling. Children yes - plenty of times. Boyfriends - reasonably often. Employers - now and again. Grandmothers - never. The only time photographers/clients ever seem to hear about a model's grandmother is when she pops her clogs... smile

In the real world reputable agents instruct their models not to maintain profiles on internet modelling sites. There are very good reaons for that. What did your agent say to you about your MM profile Ravenmichelle?

My agent actually sent me the photos to put on my profile. Like I said, my agent encourages me to put myself out there. That's how I landed the Terry Costa Fashion show gig.

Nov 26 16 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ravenmichele wrote:

Sigh.... I didn't say what was required.   I said what most fashion models do and I live in a decent size market for commercial but I know NY models and others who work there.   This isn't what will work in Forth, Worth Texas and certainly not for you.   I understand you're young but part of being mature is understanding your choices, morals and values won't always be what others agree with.   However go grab magazines like W, Elle, Vogue, Bazzar especially the foreign versions and you will see nudes by well know models and upcoming ones.   Not sure if their grandmothers approve.   Thing is many of the best known models have grannies who also modeled and some who shot nude.

The worlds major markets are NY, Miami,   Paris is number one for international, Milan and London.  Followed by Tokyo, and Sao Paulo.   I didn't mention LA but fashion is big there.   Chicago is a robust commercial market.   In all of the fashion markets fashion models do nudes.   Sometimes its GASPPPP  topless on a runway.   Here is a link to a old movie about the fashion industry.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%AAt-%C3%A0-Porter_(film)     I see you're 19 but if you get out of FT, Texas to the places I mentioned you may discover the world is very different.

Nov 26 16 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Ravenmichele wrote:
My agent actually sent me the photos to put on my profile. Like I said, my agent encourages me to put myself out there. That's how I landed the Terry Costa Fashion show gig.

Good for you Ravenmichelle - self-promotion actually works as many modes here will afirm smile

I have to wonder, though, what your agent is actually doing for you. The role of an agent is usually to market a model and to get her work from their clients and contacts, not to send her out to find work for herself. Your agent doesn't really seem like an agent at all, not in the normal sense anyway.

Nov 26 16 12:34 pm Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Sigh.... I didn't say what was required.   I said what most fashion models do and I live in a decent size market for commercial but I know NY models and others who work there.   This isn't what will work in Forth, Worth Texas and certainly not for you.   I understand you're young but part of being mature is understanding your choices, morals and values won't always be what others agree with.   However go grab magazines like W, Elle, Vogue, Bazzar especially the foreign versions and you will see nudes by well know models and upcoming ones.   Not sure if their grandmothers approve.   Thing is many of the best known models have grannies who also modeled and some who shot nude.

The worlds major markets are NY, Miami,   Paris is number one for international, Milan and London.  Followed by Tokyo, and Sao Paulo.   I didn't mention LA but fashion is big there.   Chicago is a robust commercial market.   In all of the fashion markets fashion models do nudes.   Sometimes its GASPPPP  topless on a runway.   Here is a link to a old movie about the fashion industry.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%AAt-%C3%A0-Porter_(film)     I see you're 19 but if you get out of FT, Texas to the places I mentioned you may discover the world is very different.

You say pick up a W, Elle, Vogue and all these other magazines, but I have. My cousin has been in Vogue multiple times and many other magazines and has never once posed nude. So just because I'm young doesn't mean I do not understand the modeling world. You saying that nude is required by most companies, is a sign that you possibly lack knowledge in this area. Not to sound rude, but there's two things that everyone should know about an agency to see if it's a scam or not. 1.) You should never have to pay to get started. If the company thinks you'll make money, they'll sign you. 2.) Nudes are not a requirement, regardless if you're 18+.

Nov 26 16 12:39 pm Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

K I M I L Y wrote:

Good for you Ravenmichelle - self-promotion actually works as many modes here will afirm smile

I have to wonder, though, what your agent is actually doing for you. The role of an agent is usually to market a model and to get her work from their clients and contacts, not to send her out to find work for herself. Your agent doesn't really seem like an agent at all, not in the normal sense anyway.

Thank you Kimily! However, my agent markets me during the summer seeing as how I have more time. But I can see the confusion!

Nov 26 16 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Ravenmichele wrote:
Thank you Kimily! However, my agent markets me during the summer seeing as how I have more time. But I can see the confusion!

OK cool smile

Good luck to you and I hope you pick up plenty more gigs. You seem to have lots of confidence and character and I can see how that would work well for you.

ATB smile

Nov 26 16 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Ravenmichele wrote:

You say pick up a W, Elle, Vogue and all these other magazines, but I have. My cousin has been in Vogue multiple times and many other magazines and has never once posed nude. So just because I'm young doesn't mean I do not understand the modeling world. You saying that nude is required by most companies, is a sign that you possibly lack knowledge in this area. Not to sound rude, but there's two things that everyone should know about an agency to see if it's a scam or not. 1.) You should never have to pay to get started. If the company thinks you'll make money, they'll sign you. 2.) Nudes are not a requirement, regardless if you're 18+.

Perhaps you can help. I can find no where in Tony Lawrence's posts where he says "that nude is required". Could you direct me to that quote?

Nov 26 16 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ravenmichele wrote:

Not every fashion model does nudes.  Coco Rocha is a Jehovah Witness and to my knowledge never has.  Nor does any model have to pose nude.   However it is a part of the fashion/beauty world.   Your cousin aside this is a fact.   I have some experience with agencies.   My former girlfriend was signed with Elite and I know models at FORD and the former Aria and a few more.   While fashion models can go with non professional snaps to see if an agency will sign them they are usually on their own to pay for comp cards and tests and make-up.  Sometimes an agency will pay and deduct it from a models bookings but its a type of loan and includes interest.   In general though agencies aren't paying for anything and in fact models quite often have to pay to appear on their website:   https://www.dnamodels.com/div/women-mai … ?sid=75094

You continue to say things I haven't.   I never said that companies require models to do nudes.   This is false.   It is mostly a part of the fashion editorial world.   However what do I know, right.   I'm just a goof.   Here is a link to a member who owned a NY modeling agency.   His site is great.   http://www.newmodels.com/    As for agency scams I think the first thing a model should do is see if the agency is licensed and bonded.   Most states require both.   I'm sure you knew this though.

Nov 26 16 01:15 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Ravenmichele
Tony is not saying it is required.  You re reading that into his words.  He is saying it is not uncommon.  He is saying it is common, in fact.  What you cousin has done is a specific example.  Tony is talking about a much broader market than an individual.  Can you attest to what your cousin has done as a fact, or do you depend on her word?  In 20 years, your cousin may no longer be able to say that she has never posed nude.  Predicting the future is a fool's errand.

No one cares if you don't shoot nudes.  If you can make a great career out of modeling without compromising your morals, that is a wonderful thing. 

Does your morality require you to cast the first stone because you are without sin?  Even though it is debated by scholars if that confrontation ever took place, it is still an interesting parable. A woman I knew in Florida was very quick to condemn other people for their sins.  Damn if she wasn't sleeping with a married man.  The people that I went to church with down there could take one old testament verse and justify every horrible thing about slavery in the United States and claim that an entire race deserved bondage.  No quarter was given to the whole of the teachings if it interfered with the mindset of the faithful. 

Your first post was not to introduce yourself in the Newbie section.  Was it to slap some sense into us?  Was it to humiliate and denigrate us?  What evidence do you have that your position is morally correct?  Your agent has never talked to us, never met us.  Why is her word more important than the experiences of the people on this site that have spent decades doing what they do?  Because it aligns with your own agenda?  But if you feel this issue is so important to you, please feel free to educate us with your expertise, scientific studies, personal experiences and whatever else you can back yourself up with.  But don't slap me or my friends or insinuate we are immoral.  You haven't earned the right. 

If you are here to increase your chances at succeeding as a model, it may be advisable to research the people you are talking too.  So far you are being guided by your agent who is ...?  Doesn't matter.  No one cares.  You are now on a site with hundreds of knowledgeable people.  I met a guy a few days ago on MM who's credentials just blew my mind.  If he wanted to give me advice on photography, I would shut up and listen.  I would not care what my mentor, when I was 19, had to say.  But maybe that is something that comes with maturity.  I remember when I was 22 and getting angry when someone called me a kid.  Guess what, I was still a kid when I was 30, now that I have a few more decades to look at it, I can see things I couldn't see before.

Nov 26 16 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I respect all the models that I have worked with both clothed and nude.

Nov 26 16 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Ravenmichele wrote:

No, they don't.  The agency just sends a model who is comfortable with the nature of the work.  That way everyone is able to work within the required comfort level.

Nov 26 16 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

There are many models who are very comfortable posing nude.

Nov 26 16 01:31 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Perhaps it's time for a little story:

I built my entire life and world around being a nude model, for close to a decade. I am five feet tall, with a stocky build and have never been conventionally beautiful - so I didn't grow up wanting to be a model or ever even thinking about it. I did well in school, went to college, got a degree - and when I finished school, realized that I was bored, untraveled and had little experience in the world outside of the small city where I grew up. When I was 22, a random man approached me in a nightclub, where I'd gone out dancing with a friend after work. He was very alternative looking, with baggy clothes and long dreadlocks. He asked me if I'd consider posing for his nude photography project. We talked for awhile; he was nice and had a business card. That was in the time before smartphones, so I had to go online on a desktop computer to look at his work. I liked it. I'd never posed for anything except class pictures as a child, and awkward family photos, in which everyone always looked miserable.

Posing nude seemed exciting and like a bad idea, which meant it was an escape from my life as a 22-year-old kid. I was a social worker, and lived with four other unrelated roommates in a shitty house in a bad neighborhood, with only one bathroom. I called him up in a couple weeks and I modeled butt-nekkid for his project. I had a lot of fun, and we ended up becoming close friends (he's actually still one of my best friends in the world). I enjoyed it so much that I decided to work for college art classes and sit for painting groups. Never once, during that whole time, did I feel fear or regret. I met amazing people and had great fun. In 2007, I started networking online for nude photography work.

Even if I'd had the height and the looks, I just didn't care about fashion. I don't care about clothes, and I found shooting in clothing to be tedious and restrictive. Within a few year's span of time, I went from being a bored kid, fresh out of college, with no real promise for much - to getting paid to travel and model full-time. I still wasn't beautiful, or glamorous or "model material," but I was dynamic and bold and didn't carry fear with me. I have been all over the US as a nude model, and have posed for literally hundreds of people. I have shot everywhere from home studios, to giant professional studios, to the desert, mountains, abandoned buildings. I've been photographed suspended from a railroad bridge, hanging in mid-air and upside down by my feet, several stories up over a busy intersection.

I've met FASCINATING people, awesome people. People who gave my life meaning, and who helped me become a better creative person and a smarter human overall. I flew into strange cities, to meet absolute strangers at airports and stayed in the homes of people I'd only chatted with by email. And you know what? It was awesome. It gave me a story, and a life and I'm totally unique and blessed by having such an unusual life

All because I didn't worry about what society told me I should think about myself. Because I didn't want to be weighed down by taboos and restrictions that I didn't personally see the value in. For the most part, the expectations for women in our country are absurd and I was better off just saying a big "Fuck off" to all those expectations and running around the US naked for ten years.

Nude modeling changed my life and I am so thankful that man approached me in that dark night club, over ten years ago now. I've moved on with my life and have a day job, as a trainer, and it is great. But, I wasn't ready for the "real world" at 22 and I doubt a lot of the 18 year old girls you mentioned are ready for it either. They're ready to live big and loud and do what they want. And many of them will be better off for it - because they had an adventure, instead of just settling for a normal job and a normal car and 4 dirty roommates in the bad part of town.

Nov 26 16 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Damn fine story Koryn, and this thread is the perfect setting for it to be told.

Nov 26 16 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Ravenmichele wrote:
Howdy, I am new to MM, but not the modeling world. While being on this site, I have seen some beautiful girls that look around 18, doing some risqué photos. My agent has taught me, "know your worth. Don't do anything you wouldn't be proud to show your grandmother". Some girls come on this site just to try and make it in the modeling world, but you need to have limits. Having limits makes photographers and agencies respect you and you respect yourself. Just a few words of advice! Everyone's beautiful and you don't need a camera to tell you. Have fun collaborating and coming up with fresh new ideas for photography, but have some respect for yourself. Best wishes to everyone on here!

Your agent seems rather unusual and certainly worthwhile for some. Don't you think you'd be doing those beautiful, innocent and at risk girls a favor by mentioning who your agent is so they can get with the right crowd before it's too late?

Nov 26 16 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I reacted strongly.  You are young and I could have been more thoughtful.  I apologize.

:-)

Every communication risks miscommunication! 

I've did a quick glance at the entire thread and I think that what we have is a miscommunication. Words are an inadequate medium compared to telepathy and I think I understand what she's trying to communicate to a subset of models WITHOUT necessarily being judgmental.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty good at discernment--when I want to be! 

Of course, I know how to read just the words and can twist them as needed and desired.

Yes, I concur, she's young, another reason to go gently!  I've suggested to some, that they archive their thoughts and review them in a decade or two.

So I reread what she wrote...again. Some people need it; others should just ignore it.
(e.g. the thirsty plant in the desert needs the water; the duck just lets the same water roll off its back!--without shaking a figurative fist at the heavens! ;-)]

Be nice! ;-)

PS https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19669879  Thank you for sharing that story.
I can tell similar stories! To avoid repeating myself--I'll refer to one of my threads that has just some of my thoughts
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/951773 "THANKSGIVING! What are you thankful for? MM Focus!"

Again, I value what OP says and what Koryn shares--and do not seem them as unreconcilable at all.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/mememader  Now take a look at what this profile says! I don't think that she and her grandmother agree at all! LOL But she does it anyway!  I haven't spoken with her mother about this but my guess her mother and father don't approve either. [For that matter, probably neither would mine. But that doesn't mean the journey hasn't been incredibly rewarding!]

Reminds me a bit of Fiddler on the Roof. Traditions. Some are great, but sometimes they are maladaptive. The trick is to balance them. Sometimes they have to be broken.  No way to make omelette without breaking some eggs.

Einstein didn't develop the lightbulb by doing continuous improvement on the candle. Neither did Edison! LOL   Noah built an ark--for an unprecedented event--saved his family. The carpenters who helped him build it--drowned. Bummer.

Listen to Bill Cosby's "Noah" -- available on YouTube. It was asking a lot of him to shift his paradigm! I'm not advocating anyone pose with or without -- I'm just saying figure out what your limits, share them, defend as needed--whatever they are. Not necessarily easy--as we can see from the intensity on this thread.

Just saw Hacksaw Ridge by Mel Gibson, et al.--long story short--Desmond T. Doss had some idiosyncratic ways of living his life and unyieldingly "stuck to his guns" [so to speak!] and had the military accommodate his CO [Conscientious Objector] status. His consistency AND bravery, despite enemies within his ranks and without, allowed him to earn the CMH [Congressional Medal of Honor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor ]--the US' HIGHEST military honor. It is for selfless acts that save others--that is above and beyond the call of duty. For actions which no one would fault you for not having taken. [research to get the proper wording.] I no military expert, but I understand it's the only medal worn around the neck. And that the protocol is that everyone, regardless of rank, salutes the CMH his regardless of his rank--so Generals are expected to salute this Corporal. In fact, according to what I read, he actually defied directs orders to go fetch men in the battle field--he was a medic who saved lives--not take them. Since he would not carry a weapon to kill, people misunderstood that as cowardice. They were so very wrong.

Don't read OP wrong. It's possibly implied and may be she means to view those who shoot sans attire adversely, even if that were the case, so? My perspective changes as I grow. Maturity is something like fine wine, it's hard to rush! Patience. We were all young once.

Reminds me of a quote by Mark Twain that goes something like this, "I was amazed how much my father learned from the time I was 14 to the time I was 21!"

Nov 26 16 05:44 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ravenmichele wrote:

I respect myself plenty, even totally naked with my ankles tucked behind my head. The only limits I need to have are the ones that I decide to set for myself, not the ones you think I ought to have because you dont particularly care for a certain kind of work.

Further, I'm 5 feet tall and going on 30 years old, I certainly dont have a shot with an agency so I dont really need or want to care what an agent thinks of me.

Finally, even if my grandmothers were alive still I'm not really obligated to disclose to them everything I choose to do with my adult life so...what my grandma thinks of my work is also pretty irrelevant. I can be plenty proud of my work without needing validation from my family members for every bit of it.

Mind ya business, just a word of advice.

Nov 26 16 07:22 pm Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
I respect myself plenty, even totally naked with my ankles tucked behind my head. The only limits I need to have are the ones that I decide to set for myself, not the ones you think I ought to have because you dont particularly care for a certain kind of work.

Further, I'm 5 feet tall and going on 30 years old, I certainly dont have a shot with an agency so I dont really need or want to care what an agent thinks of me.

Finally, even if my grandmothers were alive still I'm not really obligated to disclose to them everything I choose to do with my adult life so...what my grandma thinks of my work is also pretty irrelevant. I can be plenty proud of my work without needing validation from my family members for every bit of it.

Mind ya business, just a word of advice.

You're 30 years old, I'm talking about the 18 year old girls that want to get "famous" or "rich" quick. Even if you didn't disclose the pictures with your grandparents, there is almost a guarantee that they will end up seeing it anyway. But this post was for women around 18 and are legally able to pose nude. You don't have to if you don't want to, just to get a gig. I recently quit this site because I had multiple "photographers" say they read my bio and would try to book me for a nude gig. They tried to force it on me and I'm trying to warn girls that you don't have to be forced into something. So when I've been through something like that, I imagine there's plenty other newbies on this site that are experiencing that. So this is my business to help those that feel they have to do something just because the photographer "booked" it.

Nov 26 16 07:33 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Ravenmichele wrote:
You're 30 years old, I'm talking about the 18 year old girls that want to get "famous" or "rich" quick. Even if you didn't disclose the pictures with your grandparents, there is almost a guarantee that they will end up seeing it anyway. But this post was for women around 18 and are legally able to pose nude. You don't have to if you don't want to, just to get a gig. I recently quit this site because I had <b>multiple</b> "photographers" say they read my bio and would try to book me for a nude gig. They tried to force it on me and I'm trying to warn girls that you don't have to be forced into something. So when I've been through something like that, I imagine there's plenty other newbies on this site that are experiencing that. So this is my business to help those that feel they have to do something just because the photographer "booked" it.

Laura began posing nude soon after she turned 18.

I was only a few years older than that myself when I began posing nude.

Many of us were.

If someone sends you an email, trying to get you to shoot something you don't want to shoot, you just say "no thanks" and use the block feature. It's really that easy.

Nov 26 16 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Ravenmichele wrote:

You're 30 years old, I'm talking about the 18 year old girls that want to get "famous" or "rich" quick. Even if you didn't disclose the pictures with your grandparents, there is almost a guarantee that they will end up seeing it anyway. But this post was for women around 18 and are legally able to pose nude. You don't have to if you don't want to, just to get a gig. I recently quit this site because I had <b>multiple</b> "photographers" say they read my bio and would try to book me for a nude gig. They tried to force it on me and I'm trying to warn girls that you don't have to be forced into something. So when I've been through something like that, I imagine there's plenty other newbies on this site that are experiencing that. So this is my business to help those that feel they have to do something just because the photographer "booked" it.

If they try to force you to do something that you don't want to do, you leave.

Nov 26 16 07:37 pm Link

Model

Ravenmichele

Fort Worth, Texas, US

I don't think most of you are understanding that some girls don't know they can say "no". If you're just starting out and you think it's the only way, you won't turn it down because you want that taste of fame or fortune. This post is to tell girls they are more than they think and that you can say "no" if you don't like something.

Nov 26 16 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

I hesitate to wade back into this because I've already spent a lot of time on it but the fact of the matter is that I qualify for AARP and I still sometimes have trouble saying NO.  I hope that the model will look better IRL than they show up in their profile, I hope that their stats are correct, I hope it will sell, etc.

When you're young and naive...you're susceptible.

I look at the folks that Madoff embezzled from. Even Speilberg Foundation? They're pretty smart adults. Madoff offered something for what they put in and it looked attractive and they did it--but it didn't turn out well. ;-(

I think OP is suggesting that models make good deals. Whatever works for them. But don't get snookered. That's my interpretation. 

OK back to work! ;-)

Nov 26 16 07:52 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

misconceptions about what this industry has to offer, and gullibility are not exclusive to age. No one gets rich quick, even in hardcore porn, nor do they get great fame these days. These forums have seen quite a few older women insist they were going to be stars just as bad as the 16 year olds. it's true that people often need a reminder that they have the power to control what they do and that they shouldnt feel pressure, but honestly the nude shaming isnt necessary to deliver that message, but most importantly the message should be to the people who do said pressuring and lying and conniving, because theyre the real issue. People shouldnt be behaving in such a way that makes it difficult to say no to them.

beyond that, youre just not even remotely close to the first person to come to the forums to tell models they dont have to 'sell their bodies' or whatever, the people who need to hear it dont want to, or simply just dont come into the forums at all to see it. None of this is novel

Nov 26 16 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Knowing your worth and doing only what your grandmother would approve of are very different things.

In terms of knowing your worth, it works both ways.   There are certainly instances of models accepting less pay than they could have negotiated.   I also see many models who over estimate their worth and hold out for pay they never get, fading away into oblivion.

Nov 26 16 08:19 pm Link