Forums > General Industry > Plus size swimsuit models...! Is this really ok?

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Koryn wrote:
You guys do realize there are female Olympic athletes who are easily sizes 14-16?

Some of the strongest, fittest, most athletic women in the world fit into a category y'all apparently consider "fat."

Those girls could shot-put your asses into another time zone, but apparently, they should all be ashamed and disgusted of themselves and have no pride in the powerful, outstanding bodies they have built through years of hard work.

Yes I was going to point this out
These "health" pronouncements by the Fashion crowd are total BS
https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201566/rs_634x781-150706152038-634.COVER_AmandaBingson.jpg

Feb 21 17 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Jules NYC wrote:
What IS subjective is personal taste. 

I never thought plus-sized looked good on anyone, even in a flattering light.
Could they be the greatest, nicest person in the world?  Sure!  Does it look attractive to me?
Nope.

If people are happier with all magazines being homogenized to Lane Bryant, ok then.

I am shallow Hal, I like tall skinny bitches....LOL  I said it.  big_smile  I am sure many ladies like to have a partner with a huge penis too.  That is nothing with that either.....hahaaaa.

Feb 21 17 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Holden Photography

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I don't have a problem with the concept, but the execution was terrible - unflattering poses and definitely the wrong swimsuit.  Retro swimsuits are very hot right now and they tend to make larger ladies look a whole lot better - probably would've gone that route with this shoot.  Also would've picked some poses that caught better angles - this is just bad photography. 

She has a beautiful face, and I don't think anyone will say she's not carrying too much weight, but, it wouldn't have been that hard to make her look a whole lot better with just a little better planning.  Don't like the photos at all and I'm afraid too many larger ladies will get the wrong idea, that you can weigh 250 pounds and put on a bikini and head to the beach and you'll turn heads - they will, but not for the right reasons.

Feb 21 17 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Los Angeles, California, US

Randall Holden Photography wrote:
I don't have a problem with the concept, but the execution was terrible - unflattering poses and definitely the wrong swimsuit.  Retro swimsuits are very hot right now and they tend to make larger ladies look a whole lot better - probably would've gone that route with this shoot.

Actually, that's body paint...so in reality she is naked. So, it wouldnt matter what style of swim suit was painted on...your still naked on the beach.

Feb 21 17 12:50 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Yes I was going to point this out
These "health" pronouncements by the Fashion crowd are total BS
https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/201566/rs_634x781-150706152038-634.COVER_AmandaBingson.jpg

That's awesome she's great at her sport, but errr, I wouldn't want to look like this.... but if I did, maybe I would be throwing the shot-put too.... or joining the MMA or fighting to play defense on a winning football team.

Right on though, I say sincerely.

Feb 21 17 01:17 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Connor Photography wrote:

I am shallow Hal, I like tall skinny bitches....LOL  I said it.  big_smile  I am sure many ladies like to have a partner with a huge penis too.  That is nothing with that either.....hahaaaa.

Oh shit, you crack me up!

Feb 21 17 01:21 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Randall Holden Photography wrote:
I don't have a problem with the concept, but the execution was terrible - unflattering poses and definitely the wrong swimsuit.  Retro swimsuits are very hot right now and they tend to make larger ladies look a whole lot better - probably would've gone that route with this shoot.  Also would've picked some poses that caught better angles - this is just bad photography. 

She has a beautiful face, and I don't think anyone will say she's not carrying too much weight, but, it wouldn't have been that hard to make her look a whole lot better with just a little better planning.  Don't like the photos at all and I'm afraid too many larger ladies will get the wrong idea, that you can weigh 250 pounds and put on a bikini and head to the beach and you'll turn heads - they will, but not for the right reasons.

I agree.  I think her face is pleasant, not beautiful.  I've seen too many women in LA that look just like her (in the face).

Feb 21 17 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Holden Photography

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

Actually, that's body paint...so in reality she is naked. So, it wouldnt matter what style of swim suit was painted on...your still naked on the beach.

Okay, had to put my glasses on... missed that... geez.  I am totally NOT okay with this photo shoot now - what the devil were they thinking?

Feb 21 17 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Jules NYC wrote:

Oh shit, you crack me up!

I second that, tall skinny babe fan here...but Jules is already well aware of this!

I'll be even more shallow and specific, tall blonde skinny babes preferred!

Feb 21 17 03:39 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:

I second that, tall skinny babe fan here...but Jules is already well aware of this!

I'll be even more shallow and specific, tall blonde skinny babes preferred!

Double lols!!

Feb 21 17 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hate is the issue, not preferences

Feb 21 17 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Iktan

New York, New York, US

https://i.imgur.com/DTd5J86.gif

Feb 21 17 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Okay by me.

Feb 21 17 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Now, had she done this 3 to 4 years ago, would have been fucking hot!  JEEESUS!  Here's a link to a couple of her older IG photos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/lXrCaeLDTe
https://www.instagram.com/p/d7hiLBrDfG

In just a short time, goes to show how much she's let her self go, and people want to celebrate this?  Good for her if she's happy about it, but, but, to be on a SI issue, though?  Ridiculous.

Feb 21 17 05:26 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jules NYC wrote:

That's awesome she's great at her sport, but errr, I wouldn't want to look like this.... but if I did, maybe I would be throwing the shot-put too.... or joining the MMA or fighting to play defense on a winning football team.

Right on though, I say sincerely.

For women with this build, whether others find it attractive or not, there is a strong genetic predisposition toward what is called an endomorphic body-type. Endomorphs have more fat cells (are sometimes born with a greater number, and fat cells cannot be eliminated, only shrank or expanded, unless one has them surgically removed with liposuction), but also a greater ability to gain muscle mass and power. This often correlates with a slower metabolism - on average - as slower burning of food for fuel can also promote more efficient strength gain, depending on how one lives and trains.

My partner is over 300 pounds. He's a big.fucking.dude. His biological dad was a powerlifter, and he has a build that is designed naturally for raw strength. He's also "fat," and I put that in quotation marks because many men would kill to have his build. Yeah, he has a belly, but all he has to do is touch a weight and he gains mass - noticably within weeks. He can just poke around a little at the gym and grow almost like magic, while other dudes sweat and curse and remain skinny. If he were not an endomorph, with a slower metabolism and more overall fat storage, this predisposition for easy muscle hypertrophy would not exist for him.

For both male and female athletes, this body type can be both a blessing and a curse - but it's a genetic predisposition. It's not a matter of sloppiness sloppiness​ or overeating. To be completely honest, on an average day, I eat a greater number of calories than my 300+ pound boyfriend. And I'm about 114-117 pounds.

Feb 21 17 05:52 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I'm sorry I just don't see this. Her head looks way out of proportion in relation to her body size (shrunken head anyone!). It almost looks like it was photoshopped on but someone forgot to upscale it!

No, her head is fine.
Normal drawing proportions:
3 head widths = width of shoulder
2 head lengths = width of shoulder
distance from chin to breast = 1 head length.

Feb 21 17 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Now, had she done this 3 to 4 years ago, would have been fucking hot!  JEEESUS!  Here's a link to a couple of her older IG photos.

In just a short time, goes to show how much she's let her self go, and people want to celebrate this?  Good for her if she's happy about it, but, but, to be on a SI issue, though?  Ridiculous.

Jesus, what happened? How does anyone even change so much?

Feb 21 17 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
Those swimsuit images are just nasty.  Nothing attractive or sexy about them.  And, I, too don't get the "brave" thing.

I will say she has a super pretty face and looks really good in a corset lingerie type modeling as in her IG:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOGELzohkto … termcgrady

This I can see her in.  Laying around on a beach in swimsuit or body paint is just....just....just....aaahhh....sad

Tell you what, Sporto; show us picture of you wearing a pair of Speedos and let's let the women here offer their critique of your physique and look.  Unless you look like a Playgirl centerfold, I'm willing to guess the vast majority of women out there wouldn't label you as "super hot".  If you take a look outside, the reality is most of us are not "super hot", super fit, or super attractive. 

I always have to laugh at the guys out there who judge women so harshly, comparing them to SI and Playboy models, yet never seem to be able to get a girl who looks like said models to go out with them.  Instead, they usually end up going out with women who look...ordinary.  Some are thin, some are pudgy; some have no curves; some have a lot of curves; some are tall; some are short; and some look like Lena Dunham.  At the end of the day though, so are the guys these women go out with; because let's face it, not every guy out there looks like Ryan Reynolds.   

There's a reason it takes so much effort for most of us to try and stay as physically fit as models and celebrities.  It's because being THAT thin and that muscular is not what our bodies were originally designed for.  Think about it for a moment...

Ancient man had to search for food and sometimes endure long periods of time without eating.  To survive in certain regions, man had to have extra energy stored in fat cells.  To survive in colder climates, such as in Europe and Eastern block countries, ancient people needed that extra layer of fat.  As man migrated across other continents, the people that were most likely to survive were also larger.  So if modern man went through a famine today, who do you think would die first; the "perfect" model with less than 12% body fat, or the model you're so obviously grossed out about? 

Even if the genetic gods felt inclined to give someone the gift of being physically fit all their life; they're face, body, and skin still change as they get older.  Try hitting on a 21-year-old woman of any shape when you're a 50-year-old man and let us know that works out for you.  Unless you've got the looks of someone like Michael Fassbender (who's turning 40 this year and...let's not forget...super famous and wealthy), I'm gonna' guess you'll find yourself being rejected far more than you'll get lucky. 

As for me, I think Hunter McGrady is gorgeous just the way she is.  In my book, she's full figured and voluptuous; as opposed to someone who's obese, like that woman in a moo-moo with overflowing rolls of adipose tissue riding around in the motorized shopping cart at WalMart. 

There's definitely a health hazard to being so overweight/obese it affects your heart, joints, breathing, or risk of diabetes.  I see thousands of active people out there everyday though, who are simply heavy despite their efforts to eat well and get at least some form of exercise.  I'm sure it's even harder for women who've had kids.  The amount of time, energy, money, and preparation it takes to be THAT physically fit though is a luxury most people don't have. 

So get off your high horse and take a look in the mirror.  Being thin isn't the only quality that makes a person attractive.  I'd rather go out with a woman who looked like Hunter and had a great personality, than a woman who looked like Demi Moore, but was a total bitch.

Feb 22 17 02:04 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Tell you what, Sporto; show us picture of you wearing a pair of Speedos and let's let the women here offer their critique of your physique and look.  Unless you look like a Playgirl centerfold, I'm willing to guess the vast majority of women out there wouldn't label you as "super hot".  If you take a look outside, the reality is most of us are not "super hot", super fit, or super attractive. 

I always have to laugh at the guys out there who judge women so harshly, comparing them to SI and Playboy models, yet never seem to be able to get a girl who looks like said models to go out with them.  Instead, they usually end up going out with women who look...ordinary.  Some are thin, some are pudgy; some have no curves; some have a lot of curves; some are tall; some are short; and some look like Lena Dunham.  At the end of the day though, so are the guys these women go out with; because let's face it, not every guy out there looks like Ryan Reynolds.   

There's a reason it takes so much effort for most of us to try and stay as physically fit as models and celebrities.  It's because being THAT thin and that muscular is not what our bodies were originally designed for.  Think about it for a moment...

Ancient man had to search for food and sometimes endure long periods of time without eating.  To survive in certain regions, man had to have extra energy stored in fat cells.  To survive in colder climates, such as in Europe and Eastern block countries, ancient people needed that extra layer of fat.  As man migrated across other continents, the people that were most likely to survive were also larger.  So if modern man went through a famine today, who do you think would die first; the "perfect" model with less than 12% body fat, or the model you're so obviously grossed out about? 

Even if the gods felt inclined to give someone the gift of being physically fit all their life, they're face, body, and skin still change as they get older.  Try hitting on a 21-year-old woman of any shape when you're a 50-year-old man and let us know that works out for you.  Unless you've got the looks of someone like Michael Fassbender (who's turning 40 this year and...let's not forget...super famous and wealthy), I'm gonna' guess you'll find yourself being rejected far more than you'll get lucky. 

As for me, I think Hunter McGrady is gorgeous just the way she is.  In my book, she's full figured and voluptuous; as opposed to someone who's obese, like that woman in a moo-moo with overflowing rolls of adipose tissue riding around in the motorized shopping cart at WalMart. 

There's definitely a health hazard to being so overweight/obese it affects your heart, joints, breathing, or risk of diabetes.  I see thousands of active people out there everyday though, who are simply heavy despite their efforts to eat well and get at least some form of exercise.  I'm sure it's even harder for women who've had kids.  The amount of time, energy, money, and preparation it takes to be THAT physically fit though is a luxury most people don't have. 

So get off your high horse and take a look in the mirror.  Being thin isn't the only quality that makes a person attractive.  I'd rather go out with a woman who looked like Hunter and had a great personality, than a woman who looked like Demi Moore, but was a total bitch.

What the hell is all the above, a history lesson on the evolution of fat in human beings?

No-one cares about your opinions on who's hot or not, or for that matter your opinion on what anyone in this thread looks like in a thong bikini or any other item of swimwear. This is not what this thread is about.

You may have your opinion and views on obesity and what constitutes being overweight or not, but this model (and I use that word very lightly) has changed massively from her old IG pics as posted above.

It is NOT an attractive look by any measure, and in the pics posted here in this thread I'd say she has the very appearance of that woman in a moo-moo with overflowing rolls of adipose tissue riding around in the motorized shopping cart at WalMart - who you so eloquently described!

But then this is just my view.

You see how that works!

Feb 22 17 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

What the hell is all the above, a history lesson on the evolution of fat in human beings?

No-one cares about your opinions on who's hot or not, or for that matter your opinion on what anyone in this thread looks like in a thong bikini or any other item of swimwear. This is not what this thread is about.

You may have your opinion and views on obesity and what constitutes being overweight or not, but this model (and I use that word very lightly) has changed massively from her old IG pics as posted above.

It is NOT an attractive look by any measure, and in the pics posted here in this thread I'd say she has the very appearance of that woman in a moo-moo with overflowing rolls of adipose tissue riding around in the motorized shopping cart at WalMart - who you so eloquently described!

But then this is just my view.

You see how that works!

In other words, "Hello Mr Pot, please meet this Black Kettle."

Feb 22 17 05:26 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Points of view:
She is fat/overweight
She is healthy and looks great
... and a lot of angry people defending the above
Who cares

I'm going with who cares at this point.  This is not about the quality of her character, it's more of an examination of a social views with health/what is overweight/ being healthy, etc.  If magazines are taking the stance to sell plus-sized models as a selling point, great.  I never bought SI.  I thought it was aligned mostly to men (and whatever LGBT crowd) as something sexy to hang up on their wall like Wayne's World or a mechanic shop.  If this model turns someone or many on, right on.

To offer an opinion however controversial to the norm of 'let's like everything!' on Mayhem is not derived from any hate.  It's opinion.  At the end of the day, if someone is healthy or not, it's not my body and God bless to whomever makes it through without complication. 

I guess I feel strongly about this because after college I was a personal trainer myself and got certified in Aerobics.  I was really into health and still am.  I worked with nurses later in life on a corporate level and probably very swayed by all the medical abstracts I had to summarize for the worldwide intranet site of Pfizer.

I think it's hilarious hearing people's point of view, even their 'types'.  Yes, it amuses me.

As for body types, I'm well aware of them. 
To each their own.

Feb 22 17 05:43 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:

Agree.

It's possible to fall apart in very short order.  My doc called me fat last month on my annual and I know I could lose some.  He wants me on some 1,500 daily calorie diet which cuts out any pizzas forever.  He also said I'm bumping against the diabetic border too (My brother and sis are already there.) with that A1C (?) lab printout thing.  He wants me to watch for vision changes like focusing matters too which are a precursor to becoming a diabetic.

We are just too damn fat and think it's okay, or trying to justify it with the PC crowd.  Doc said life expectancy is dropping as too many young kids are Type II's already at age of 6.  Some around here take two traffic lights to get their fat iPhone asses across the street.to the bus stop.  Some probably fill the whole bus seat too.  One kid is in a electric cart as he is probably too fat to even walk to the bus stop.

I see some of the Russian weight lifters died in their 60's   Steroids maybe.  Sumos too.

I need to get off this computer as it isn't helping me lose even one calorie. ;o(

Feb 22 17 06:52 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

GRMACK wrote:
Agree.

It's possible to fall apart in very short order.  My doc called me fat last month on my annual and I know I could lose some.  He wants me on some 1,500 daily calorie diet which cuts out any pizzas forever.  He also said I'm bumping against the diabetic border too (My brother and sis are already there.) with that A1C (?) lab printout thing.  He wants me to watch for vision changes like focusing matters too which are a precursor to becoming a diabetic.

We are just too damn fat and think it's okay, or trying to justify it with the PC crowd.  Doc said life expectancy is dropping as too many young kids are Type II's already at age of 6.  Some around here take two traffic lights to get their fat iPhone asses across the street.to the bus stop.  Some probably fill the whole bus seat too.  One kid is in a electric cart as he is probably too fat to even walk to the bus stop.

I see some of the Russian weight lifters died in their 60's   Steroids maybe.  Sumos too.

I need to get off this computer as it isn't helping me lose even one calorie. ;o(

This was funny, a great read!

And yes, there are way too many fat lazy kids around who need to stop chomping pizza and donuts and get their asses down to the bus stop instead of relying on lifts!

I really think all this pandering to overweight 'models' and Z list celebs on magazine covers is going too far.

Feb 22 17 07:05 am Link

Model

PJDear

Norfolk, Virginia, US

I agree!

Feb 22 17 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

Tell you what, Sporto; show us picture of you wearing a pair of Speedos and let's let the women here offer their critique of your physique and look.  Unless you look like a Playgirl centerfold, I'm willing to guess the vast majority of women out there wouldn't label you as "super hot".

What an idiotic statement.  I'm not the model, though, am I.  What are going to come up with next, "'yo mamma" jokes?

If you take a look outside, the reality is most of us are not "super hot", super fit, or super attractive.

No shit, Sherlock.  Magazines like this are supposed to show the super hot, super fit, and super attractive.

...In my book, she's full figured and voluptuous; as opposed to someone who's obese, like that woman in a moo-moo with overflowing rolls of adipose tissue riding around in the motorized shopping cart at WalMart.

At the rate she's gaining, give her a couple more years.

LOL!!!  This coming from someone who takes photos of fit women ONLY.  Why don't you get off your hypocrite horse.

Feb 22 17 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Black Z Eddie wrote:

Those are probably the smallest looking selfies she has on her insta and really didnt reflect her real size (full length mirror selfies are notorious for that). And in those pics she actually looks too small to be a real working ECOMM plus size model.   

Here is a pic/job of her just 2-3 months after the links you posted and looking very much like the standard plus girl - Forever 21 Ecomm

https://www.instagram.com/p/nI4Im1rDXb/

Also, someone mentioned that that she's not a real model. Just tell Wilhelmina that she's not a real model -  http://www.wilhelmina.com/los-angeles/m … er-mcgrady   

Its really obvious that many that are posting on this thread do not make a living in the real fashion business. But then again its MM.  All coming from a guy who shots skinny bitches on a daily basis.. smile

Feb 22 17 08:27 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Yosh Studio wrote:

Those are probably the smallest looking selfies she has on her insta and really didnt reflect her real size (full length mirror selfies are notorious for that). And in those pics she actually looks too small to be a real working ECOMM plus size model.   

Here is a pic/job of her just 2-3 months after the links you posted and looking very much like the standard plus girl - Forever 21 Ecomm

Also, someone mentioned that that she's not a real model. Just tell Wilhelmina that she's not a real model -  http://www.wilhelmina.com/los-angeles/m … er-mcgrady   

Its really obvious that many that are posting on this thread do not make a living in the real fashion business. But then again its MM.  All coming from a guy who shots skinny bitches on a daily basis.. smile

I'm just curious... why is being skinny (let's say fit) associated with being a bitch?
I've known many 'fat' bitches, believe me.

Feb 22 17 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

Yosh Studio wrote:

She's still looks good there, though, as compared to the SI photos. 

That photo reminds of me of model friend of mine.  She'd post "body positive" things on her IG and describes herself as curvy and plus size.  I asked her why she refers to herself as plus size and she replies she's size 10.  I'm like, "You're not a size 10, you're a size HOT!".  She's 5'9" with long legs.

Feb 22 17 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

"Skinny Bitch" is a term that be came popular around 10-15yrs ago. It just means a skinny girl, not necessarily a girl who is a "bitch" smile   
https://az721511.vo.msecnd.net/images/712/3562758.JPG?636233615010266287

I remember an old rap song.
I like all kinds of bitches
tall bitches
short bitches
fat bitches
skinny bitches
blonde bitches
dark bitches..
etc...etc...etc

Feb 22 17 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Black Z Eddie wrote:
She's still looks good there, though, as compared to the SI photos. 

That photo reminds of me of model friend of mine.  She'd post "body positive" things on her IG and describes herself as curvy and plus size.  I asked her why she refers to herself as plus size and she replies she's size 10.  I'm like, "You're not a size 10, you're a size HOT!".  She's 5'9" with long legs.

Yes, and size 10 isn't a real American Fashion Plus Size (12-16/18). She is bigger now than in that older Ecomm shot but I sure she doesnt worry about trying to be a skinny bitch anymore. Just let nature take its course. smile

Feb 22 17 09:07 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Yosh Studio wrote:
"Skinny Bitch" is a term that be came popular around 10-15yrs ago. It just means a skinny girl, not necessarily a girl who is a "bitch" smile   
https://az721511.vo.msecnd.net/images/712/3562758.JPG?636233615010266287

I remember an old rap song.
I like all kinds of bitches
tall bitches
short bitches
fat bitches
skinny bitches
blonde bitches
dark bitches..
etc...etc...etc

lol

Funny, I almost posted the exact book you did... weird!

I wonder how a Beatles song would sound if a name was replaced with bitch.
Biiiii-tch, my bitch, those are words that go together well, my.... bitch

Doesn't sound like a love song anymore.

Feb 22 17 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
LOL!!!  This coming from someone who takes photos of fit women ONLY.  Why don't you get off your hypocrite horse.

The photos inside a person's portfolio don't define the thought processes or character of the person who shot them.  The words that come out of a person's mouth typically do though.

Not that I have to justify myself to you, but I have shot plus sized and even overweight models before.  I still have the images, if you'd like to see them...but I'm guessing you might be repulsed again.

Feb 22 17 10:25 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfi5pewDuYI

I was casting plus size models between US size 8 and 14 (UK sizes 10 and 16) for a series of productions of my swimwear photo shoots and videos.

I needed curvy girls with great body shapes. During a conversation with one of the models size 10, I learned that she was not really considered a plus size and that she was not able to work very much as a model. Some Plus Size modelling agencies and clients asked her to gain at least 30 to 40 pounds (15 to 20 Kg) if she wanted to get more bookings with them. I was shocked, so I decided to investigate the whole matter further. What I find peculiar is that I often see many discussions and articles in magazines, online blogs and social networks dedicated to plus size women, expressing their outrage about how the mainstream fashion industry pushed young models to starve themselves to fit into smaller sizes, thus causing many of them to develop eating disorders (e.g. Anorexia).

Isn't asking young models who are normal size to gain a lot of weight, so that they can be offered work as plus size models, just the same as what they are preaching against, but the opposite extreme? Isn't this just as dangerous?

Feb 22 17 10:32 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yosh Studio wrote:
Looks "all good" too me.

She's a hot BBW and just one girl out over 30 girls featured in this year's issue and isnt going to start any trends.

As far as the shitty photography? She was shot by a female swimwear shooter. I guess some MM "swim" experts could DM her some shooting tips. smile

https://www.instagram.com/josie_clough/

Josie is an excellent photographer....except for these particular shots. Everybody bombs it once in a while (or it's what the client wants and they do it on purpose even if it's not great)  It looks like she's inexperienced with shooting larger women on a whole which is an issue with directing poses and choosing shots that make the model look good, but the technical quality of these shots is also way off compared to some of her other work - her instagram sort of further proves that point rather than disproves it.

Feb 22 17 10:49 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm sorry I just don't see this. Her head looks way out of proportion in relation to her body size (shrunken head anyone!). It almost looks like it was photoshopped on but someone forgot to upscale it!

Someone my size (I'm regularly mistaken for a teenager) can have a head that looks too big or too small, thats a bone issue, not a body fat issue. If she had a body like the The Rock her head would also look small but you wouldnt be saying it's because she's too fat.

Besides that her head looks perfectly fine in other photos of her (click the OPs link instead of just looking at the two photos posted into the thread). They're just shitty photos

Feb 22 17 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

(Snip)

It is NOT an attractive look by any measure...!

Wait...is that your opinion??  I'm confused.

I guess I could respond with my opinion about your comments, but...wouldn't that start a paradox?

Feb 22 17 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

Not that I have to justify myself to you, but I have shot plus sized and even overweight models before.  I still have the images, if you'd like to see them...but I'm guessing you might be repulsed again.

Then why aren't these plus sized and overweight models in your portfolio?  They did't make the cut?  They weren't pretty and fit enough for portfolio for the world to see the type of models you like to shoot?  Seems like you are embarrassed to display them.  To be honest, I think some of them will probably look great in your art.  But, apparently, even you don't think so.

Feb 22 17 10:59 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Loving the "she let herself go" comment. Really. Classy.

I can't count how many women I know who struggle with eating disorders, chronic illnesses, or both (and often the latter causes the former). At their actual "sickest" they get tons of praise about how "good they look" and how they must be "taking care of themselves" because they inadvertently drop a ton of weight BECAUSE THEY ARE SICK, and when they ACTUALLY GET HEALTHIER and gain the weight back they're told they've "let themselves go" and "don't look like they're doing so well"

Fuck off with your "let herself go" and "jeez how can anyone let that happen to their body" comments, that's how people fucking die.

Feb 22 17 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Yosh Studio

Jules NYC wrote:
Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfi5pewDuYI

I was casting plus size models between US size 8 and 14 (UK sizes 10 and 16) for a series of productions of my swimwear photo shoots and videos.

I needed curvy girls with great body shapes. During a conversation with one of the models size 10, I learned that she was not really considered a plus size and that she was not able to work very much as a model. Some Plus Size modelling agencies and clients asked her to gain at least 30 to 40 pounds (15 to 20 Kg) if she wanted to get more bookings with them. I was shocked, so I decided to investigate the whole matter further. What I find peculiar is that I often see many discussions and articles in magazines, online blogs and social networks dedicated to plus size women, expressing their outrage about how the mainstream fashion industry pushed young models to starve themselves to fit into smaller sizes, thus causing many of them to develop eating disorders (e.g. Anorexia).

Isn't asking young models who are normal size to gain a lot of weight, so that they can be offered work as plus size models, just the same as what they are preaching against, but the opposite extreme? Isn't this just as dangerous?

This is spot on. In my experience, its not so much asking a girl to gain 30-40 lbs., but to stop starving themselves and being a gym junkies... just be your natural weight. And, I have seen those emails sent to plus models after posting those "look how skinny I'm getting" pics on Instagram.

Feb 22 17 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Jules NYC wrote:
Isn't asking young models who are normal size to gain a lot of weight, so that they can be offered work as plus size models, just the same as what they are preaching against, but the opposite extreme? Isn't this just as dangerous?[/i]

Based on what I've read, yes, but these days, "skinny shaming" and obesity glorifying is what is PC.  I put skinny in parenthesis, because many of the who are skinny shamed are not underweight or unhealthy.    Some models who have a lower than average BMI are being banned from modeling, even if they don't have any eating disorders and are perfectly healthy.   While being underweight can certainly have negative health consequences, being overweight is a far more common problem in all western countries.  I've read in the U.S., obesity is considered the number one medical concern among many health professionals.

Feb 22 17 11:26 am Link