Forums > Model Colloquy > How do you get followers on Intagram??????

Model

Miss CBlack

Brentwood, California, US

Hi ya'll, I'm coming out of the stone age! LOL I don't have a Facebook page and a few days ago I started an Instagram account. I've learned how to post pictures and what a # is, but I am not sure how people get followers. Does anyone have suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it!

Apr 03 17 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

OK, you got one now.......LOL.

Apr 03 17 11:07 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Awesome! thank you!

Apr 03 17 11:16 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Lisbon, Lisboa e Vale do Tejo, Portugal

Miss CM wrote:
Hi ya'll, I'm coming out of the stone age! LOL I don't have a Facebook page and a few days ago I started an Instagram account. I've learned how to post pictures and what a # is, but I am not sure how people get followers. Does anyone have suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it!

Hashtag the last drop out of the picture!! Any word that you think associates with the images, just hash it. Don't forget to hashtag the location you are from (e.g. #lamodel or #nycmodel). People in Instagram are all about searching out hashtags.

If everything else fails, offer them a pot of leprechaun's gold big_smile just kidding!!!

Apr 03 17 11:19 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Thank you Diganta! I will be trying that!

Apr 03 17 11:22 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Miss CM wrote:
Thank you Diganta! I will be trying that!

Pleased to be of help! Also, your 29th follower on Instagram smile

Apr 03 17 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Scott Stiff

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Miss CM wrote:

Simplest answer which has been stated above is using the correct hashtags and maybe knowing a lot of people..lol

Cheers,

@scott_stiff

Apr 04 17 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

One way of getting followers would be finding one of those accounts that reposts various model photos and getting them to repost some of your stuff. I've tried to tag them on a few of your photos, but I don't know whether that will work. I'm not good at Instagram and don't do much with Instagram.

Another thought is to find people who follow models with a style similar to yours and follow them. Often, you'll get a return follow as a matter of courtesy.

Apr 04 17 07:51 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Alright thank you so much! I'm starting to learning how to use it, I'm up to 38 followers so thats good! 38 is better than 0 smile

Apr 05 17 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Miss CM wrote:
Alright thank you so much! I'm starting to learning how to use it, I'm up to 38 followers so thats good! 38 is better than 0 smile

Good for you!!!  big_smile big_smile big_smile

I paid a dollar for each follow. tongue  After i paid them, they DM me and ask me to send them $10, or they will unfollow me. 

You see, IG is gold mine, you can make lot of money on IG.  ....LOL

Apr 05 17 10:20 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

LOL! Good to know! I'm actually starting to really like it! It is a time sucking machine though! I love looking at peoples posts, it's very entertaining. Like I said, I'm coming out of the stone age so I'm not as savvy as most but I'm learning thanks to you all. I really appreciate it you guys!

Apr 05 17 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

I'm not far ahead of you in building my Instagram audience... it's still pretty small. With any luck some of my upcoming projects will generate a lot of extra traffic... smile

Apr 06 17 08:41 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Well good luck Rakesh! I'm enjoying it, it's kind of addicting but I still feel kind of stupid when it comes to figuring out how to use it. In fact just yesterday I believe it was, I learned I could send and receive messages! OMG! I felt like such a dork! LOL

Apr 07 17 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

I still haven't figured out the messages.

Apr 08 17 11:55 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

It helps to describe who you are in the profile, with your website as well. If you're a model for hire: freelance dm for rates. If you're speciality is glamour, put that in the description of your profile. Tags for every photo and since I'm a beauty photographer mine are different but this might work for you: #sexyglamour #glamour #glamourphoto #hotskin  #hotmodel , etc

Apr 08 17 01:01 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Thank you La Starshooter, but one question. How do I describe myself in my profile on Instagram? I'm not very good at navigating through it yet.

Apr 08 17 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

The edit profile button is right by your instagram account name.

Apr 09 17 12:25 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

AWESOME! Thank you! Just found it!!! smile

Apr 09 17 08:45 am Link

Model

Julie Ann NYC

New York, New York, US

@julie_curvemodel
https://www.instagram.com/julie_curvemodel/

IMHO Instagram is something you have to work at each day. I think of it as being like a houseplant that you need to nurture over time. Slow and steady wins the race. I've booked two paid shoots in the short time I've been curating my presence even though I only have about 420 consistent followers and growing (so far)

Don't buy followers or pay for features/shoutouts. That rarely works and doesn't create a lasting audience in my experience. However, it can't hurt to try some of the free ones that feature models. A few more "likes" and "followers" never hurt anyone!

I'm very new and have really only been fostering my account for the past couple of months but I see my following growing little by little every week. I lose a little here and there (some attrition is normal) but slow and steady growth on the upward trend makes me think I'm doing something right.

Here' are some articles with some helpful best practices. Keep in mind that the platform and its algorithm are always changing though...
https://later.com/blog/best-time-to-post-on-instagram/
http://sproutsocial.com/insights/instag … practices/
https://www.inc.com/larry-kim/how-to-be … hacks.html

Apr 11 17 11:22 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

Instagram takes time to build up, but I like to think of it as something to give a little bit of time to each day to see it grow.  Top things which have helped my instagram grow:

-Post regularly (for me, that means about 4x per week, but I suggest playing around to find the "sweet spot" where you are getting the most followers and likes)
-Use insightful hashtags: stay away from generic ones like "follow4follow," and instead use hashtags that will help people who are looking for content like yours to find you, such as "modelxphotographer."
-Encourage people you meet to follow your social media, and put links to it in as many places as possible without spamming
-Follow people who post similar content to yours, and comment and like profusely (but be genuine) so their fan base will see your name and follow it back to your profile.

Hope this helps!

Apr 11 17 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Rakesh Malik

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Miss CM wrote:
Well good luck Rakesh! I'm enjoying it, it's kind of addicting but I still feel kind of stupid when it comes to figuring out how to use it. In fact just yesterday I believe it was, I learned I could send and receive messages! OMG! I felt like such a dork! LOL

It took me a while to discover that also -- part of it however is that the Instagram app is terribly designed from a usability perspective. It's very inconsistent and unintuitive at the same time.

Good luck to you too. smile

Apr 11 17 09:28 pm Link

Model

Magda Kulpinska

Paris, Île-de-France, France

I didn't like it much in the beginning but now I think it's better than any other platform I know.

What gets me followers is a lot of hashtags, tagging the places (with an '@') And posting regularly. I chose 5pm -ish as the time I post most stuff. Sunday evenings are a great time, too. Then obviously the content has to be attractive to people or else the best hashtags won't get you following.

Hope this helped

Apr 14 17 10:10 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Wow you guys thank you so much for the great advice! I'm amazed! I'm already up to 81 followers and I actually really have fun going through everyones post's everyday. I've learned so much from you all, it's awesome!

Apr 14 17 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

GoldieImages

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

In addition to what others have said,

-submit your work to magazines that share their images onto IG
-work with photographers/designers/MUAs with a strong IG following - you can even have them post BTS pics/stories/annoying Boomerang animations/ on the shoot day so you get your profile out there.
-Share your IG URL (https://www.instagram.com/username) on all social media
-Only post photos that work as both a thumbnail and a fullscreen pic (because when browsing on IG, your thumbnail has to stand out against 11 other photos)
-Don't abuse hashtags or else IG will neuter your account (don't spam unrelated popular tags just for likes or IG will mute your account)

Apr 18 17 05:52 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm just about to set up my IG, but can anyone tell me why it's become so vital and important? 5-6 years ago Facebook was the must have, and now that's largely been replaced by IG, but why? What's so great about it, it's like a photographic diary, why is that so great?

Apr 18 17 09:45 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
I'm just about to set up my IG, but can anyone tell me why it's become so vital and important? 5-6 years ago Facebook was the must have, and now that's largely been replaced by IG, but why? What's so great about it, it's like a photographic diary, why is that so great?

For those that want a large audience ig doesn't restrict the number of people who will see your post the way fb does.  If you post on ig everyone will see it vs fb where it is limited unless you pay for advertising.

at least that's what i've been told.  I use ig an fb to promote an internet store and ig is basically a fourth the price of fb with about as much sales.

Apr 18 17 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

I'm all the way across the country, but I followed you as well.

I don't know if someone already mentioned this, but follow everyone who follows you. Leave comments on pictures. Become active in IG.

I'm new to Instagram too, so I have the same startup issues you do.

Apr 18 17 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

GoldieImages

martin b wrote:
For those that want a large audience ig doesn't restrict the number of people who will see your post the way fb does.  If you post on ig everyone will see it vs fb where it is limited unless you pay for advertising.

IG is now the same as FB whereby it sorts your feed based on the popularity of the posts - so if your IG post isn't engaging, it may not get seen by your followers

Apr 18 17 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:

I mostly use it because it's just photos (mostly).  None of that "Liked/Reacted to" or "Shared" nonsense in the newsfeed.

Allows me to post current and/or for fun photos not necessarily portfolio worthy, but, still shows the type of photos I like to shoot.

Apr 18 17 08:58 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Does anyone book any pro gigs from Instagram? Something an agency could book? The only platforms I see that you can self-submit on that level is Casting Networks which has union & non union work.

If it's a time suck, what's the point of having this huge audience if you're not getting revenue from the page?

Apr 19 17 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

@hermanvangestel

enjoy!

herman
www.hermanvangestel.com
amsterdam • london • münchen • paris • new york

Apr 19 17 03:44 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

GoldieImages wrote:
In addition to what others have said,

-submit your work to magazines that share their images onto IG
-work with photographers/designers/MUAs with a strong IG following - you can even have them post BTS pics/stories/annoying Boomerang animations/ on the shoot day so you get your profile out there.
-Share your IG URL (https://www.instagram.com/username) on all social media
-Only post photos that work as both a thumbnail and a fullscreen pic (because when browsing on IG, your thumbnail has to stand out against 11 other photos)
-Don't abuse hashtags or else IG will neuter your account (don't spam unrelated popular tags just for likes or IG will mute your account)

What are Thumbnails?

Apr 20 17 01:50 pm Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Does anyone know what hashtags are good to use?

Apr 20 17 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

GoldieImages

Miss CM wrote:
What are Thumbnails?

Load up IG, press the Search (magnifying glass) - it'll show a 3x4 grid of photos. Those tiny representations of photos are called thumbnails.

This thumbnail view is how people will find your photo if they're browsing/searching for photos, so try and post photos that will stand out from this thumbnail view.

Apr 20 17 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Python Photos

Rawlins, Wyoming, US

Miss CM wrote:
Does anyone know what hashtags are good to use?

I think you are using pretty good hashtags. I love following you on IG.

Apr 21 17 08:53 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

GoldieImages wrote:

Load up IG, press the Search (magnifying glass) - it'll show a 3x4 grid of photos. Those tiny representations of photos are called thumbnails.

This thumbnail view is how people will find your photo if they're browsing/searching for photos, so try and post photos that will stand out from this thumbnail view.

Oh ok awesome! I'm such a dork! Thank you for your help smile

Apr 21 17 09:17 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

Python Photos wrote:

I think you are using pretty good hashtags. I love following you on IG.

Reslly!?! Oh my goodness you just made my day! I have no idea what I'm doing when I hashtag so I try copying other people and then other times I feel like an idiot and I'll go change it...LOL  I just know that you guys taught me using a hashtags is important, so Iv'e been trying to use them as much as possible. I'm so happy you think I'm doing it right!!!

Apr 21 17 09:24 am Link

Photographer

PhotoKromze

Miss CM wrote:

Reslly!?! Oh my goodness you just made my day! I have no idea what I'm doing when I hashtag so I try copying other people and then other times I feel like an idiot and I'll go change it...LOL  I just know that you guys taught me using a hashtags is important, so Iv'e been trying to use them as much as possible. I'm so happy you think I'm doing it right!!!

You can start keeping a "Hashtag Diary". Write down all the key words you can think of in the diary, and prefix each one with a hash. You might want to club them under specific emotions, vibes etc. And before you know it, a whole lot of hashtags are looking up at you, eager to be tagged onto your perfect images smile

Apr 21 17 10:42 am Link

Model

Miss CBlack

PhotoKromze wrote:
You can start keeping a "Hashtag Diary". Write down all the key words you can think of in the diary, and prefix each one with a hash. You might want to club them under specific emotions, vibes etc. And before you know it, a whole lot of hashtags are looking up at you, eager to be tagged onto your perfect images smile

Thanks!!!

Apr 24 17 11:06 am Link

Photographer

DaveTongPhoto

Santa Clara, California, US

A common way to get followers is just to follow as many people as you possibly can; some will follow you back.
You can then unfollow them later. Some people have even written (and sell) scripts that do this automatically.
That plus the gratuitous use of hashtags.

Personally I think the best way to get followers is to post interesting content (as you are doing).
I'll take quality over quantity.

Apr 24 17 02:55 pm Link