Forums > General Industry > To pay or to be paid...That is the question.....

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I was never offered to be paid...I have paid.  All the models, except for maybe 2 or 3 TFP.....In 10 or more years of shooting....
Always wonder how the photographers who never pay, find models.
I am talking about an amateur photographer with no connection in the business world that could be of interest to a serious career model.

May 06 17 03:28 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
I was never offered to be paid...I have paid.  All the models, except for maybe 2 or 3 TFP.....In 10 or more years of shooting....
I am talking about an amateur photographer with no connection in the business world that could be of interest to a serious career model.

I've paid, I've been paid and I've traded.

All that really mattered at the end of the day were the images that went into my book and on my walls.

May 06 17 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I take the position that the time and effort involved and the pictures resulting from that time and effort do constitute pay, simply in a different medium of exchange, much the same as payment in pounds sterling is not essentially different from payment in U.S. dollars, so in that sense, I guess I've always paid.  If you disagree, then I guess I've never paid.

Almost all of my models have come from MM.  Being in New York for most of that time has certainly impacted on the number of shoots I've been able to book, if for no other reason than that there are a heck of a lot more people who want to model, for whatever reason, than in New Orleans, where I'm currently based.  Why they've posed has been as varied as the models themselves.  In most cases for portfolio development or headshots for actors.  In some simple curiosity as to what it's like to pose naked for an old man that they've never met.  In some few cases, these chance encounters have resulted in friendships that have lasted for months and, in a couple, for years.

I have no choice but to believe that something in my portfolio leads them to want to be shot by me with no other form of recompense.  What that reason is, I really don't know.

All IMHO as always, of course.

May 06 17 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

"Always pay, always sell, always profit" has worked just fine for me for nearly 20 years. Everything else is trivia and technicality.

But whatever works for anyone else, good for them.

May 06 17 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Don't do as many nudes. It is possible but harder to get TFP nudes. As there is more demand for paid work from that.

Have you even tried to get tfp shoots? I guess that would be #1. Actively pursue tfp shoots.

May 06 17 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

with me, or trade or i get paid.....it really depends on the quality ...trade if there is a balance....and money compensates if there is no balance...

if i pay model it's because my client pays me and my team....that's the professional way... ...it also helps that it's not my hobby or has ever been.....i think that if it's your hobby, you find yourself easier paying.

The fact that i create work for glossy magazines and campaigns gives a certain value. Everybody needs publications..

Herman
www.hermanvangestel.com

May 06 17 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Whether or not to pay model can depend, among other things, on the value that you place on your time.

TF shoots can be fairly expensive once you factor in the time to arrange a shoot, the number of models who will mess you around and waste your time, and the number of shoots that turn out to be a waste of time because the model was simply not up to the job. 

Paying cash reduces (but does not eliminate) these problems.

May 06 17 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
I was never offered to be paid

Have you asked for pay?

IMAGINERIES wrote:
...I have paid.  All the models, except for maybe 2 or 3 TFP.....In 10 or more years of shooting....

No doubt there are thousands of answers to your question.

I started photography when I was ~14 years old.  When hanging out with school chums (both male & female), I always carried a camera wherever I went, and everyone around me got used to being photographed.  They liked the photographs, so when I evolved to trying to craft or create photographs, or when I thought up interesting projects, I had a ready cadre of volunteers.

Speaking of volunteers -- I eventually evolved into a landscape photographer, which was more of a solitary exercise.  I went off on hikes, often by myself, and made some nice photographs. 
https://www.looknseephoto.com/california/antdoor.jpg

But I found myself in a creative dust bowl of sorts, and in order to break out of it, I looked around & saw a call for auditions for "A Chorus Line" at the local community theater.  Part of the show was the part where the dancers held up head shots in front of their faces, so I showed up at the audition & volunteered by services.  Not only did I do the head shots, I made some production shots for the lobby.  (And I help run lines or made suggestions for the lighting or such -- I just hung out there nearly every night, keeping busy & pitching in).

That gave me access to both dancers & a theater stage with a black curtain & black floor.  I made a lot of abstract dance photographs with volunteer dancers & theater tech people.
https://www.looknseephoto.com/california/dream.jpg

I could go on, but I won't.  I'll summarize instead, with these thoughts:

...  Finding & selecting models are part of your creative process.  Don't skimp.
...  Many of us have friends & family who may volunteer to pose.
...  When you get older, your friends will start having kids, and their parents will always enjoy photos of them.
...  Find opportunities to volunteer yourself, and you just may find willing models while you volunteer.
...  Always, always, always think about your projects from the models' points of view.  What's in it for them?
...  Be generous with your time; don't neglect to network for your models & they will network for you.
...  Find ways to build a local community.
...  Unlearn most of the crap you've learned or assume about "how the industry works".
...  Embrace your amateur status.  Be clear you are a hobbyist.

May 06 17 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I had a few years where I really worked to commend some pay as a part time photographer.   While I had a few very profitable shoots, overall, It was a lot of work, and in the end the overall pay rate very low.

I've gotten models for trade, but it's been rare lately.  I've had better luck lining up trade shoots via craigslist.  Often I pay local talent #30/hour for an art nude shoot, but at that rate, it takes a fair bit of work to find someone, and I get a fairly high cancellation rate.  In contrast, I hired a traveling model this past weekend.   In contrast to the trade shoots, to set this shoot up I only had to communicate with one model for maybe 1/2 hour.  For me, there is a strong correlation between money spent and the ease of setting up shoots.  TF takes a lot of work.  Whether it's worth paying more to make it easier to book shoots is a personal choice.  Some people can't understand why more photographers don't pay much more to make booking easier.  Other's don't get why some photographers are so quick to throw money away when with some dedication they could be shooting TF.

My overall view is if you don't want to spend money on your subject matter, shoot something other than models.

May 06 17 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Easy.  I ask.

"Payment" takes so many forms that aren't dollars from one hand to another.  Before 2014, the majority of the new models I worked with came from interacting on this site.  Since, it's been more of a facebook and personal networking thing.  Lately, I offer really interesting shoot concepts, test it with a few of my model friends who are willing to help me, and then I have reference images to "sell" the idea to the greater pool of models on facebook groups I'm on.

But to give you an example of how useless this site is anymore, I currently have a PAID casting out there and I've received 25 views of it and exactly zero responses to it since posting yesterday morning.  However, in the same time, I've booked 6 models to participate in the shoot from Facebook, WITHOUT pay.

This site is dead.

May 06 17 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:

Easy.  I ask.

"Payment" takes so many forms that aren't dollars from one hand to another.  Before 2014, the majority of the new models I worked with came from interacting on this site.  Since, it's been more of a facebook and personal networking thing.  Lately, I offer really interesting shoot concepts, test it with a few of my model friends who are willing to help me, and then I have reference images to "sell" the idea to the greater pool of models on facebook groups I'm on.

But to give you an example of how useless this site is anymore, I currently have a PAID casting out there and I've received 25 views of it and exactly zero responses to it since posting yesterday morning.  However, in the same time, I've booked 6 models to participate in the shoot from Facebook, WITHOUT pay.

This site is dead.

Speak for yourself. I still get at least half my NYC models from here. Some really good models. Maybe it is just bad in Orlando. Other half on Instagram.

I have never had any luck with facebook. I still have no idea how to even find them to ask.

May 06 17 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

This site is dead.

sad  sadly it's true
now I can't even send you a pm to tell you how right you are  (but that's a different thread)

May 06 17 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Dan K Photography wrote:

Speak for yourself. I still get at least half my NYC models from here. Some really good models. Maybe it is just bad in Orlando. Other half on Instagram.

I have never had any luck with facebook. I still have no idea how to even find them to ask.

1. You join model and photographer and photography groups. 
2. You put out a call for your project or idea.
3. You get interested parties.

At least that's how it works for me.

May 06 17 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Sablesword

Gurnee, Illinois, US

It's one of the fundemental questions of economics: "Who gets how much what?"

What, other than money, does the photographer get out of a given photoshoot, and how much is it worth to him?

What, other than money, does the model get out of a given photoshoot, and how much is it worth to her?

Money payments are to make the photoshoot happen when one side finds it to be not worth enough while the other side finds it to be worth a lot.

May 07 17 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

It all depends on your creative process, the images you produce, and how you sell them to potential collaborators.

I don't like to tell people who is a paid or professional model. I know them personally, or I don't. That's all I like to say. For my own personal work, I've found paid models are my best or worst subjects. If you have a good one, they come with their own ideas - unlike most new or less serious models. They are good ideas, or they are not.

I'd say about a fifth of the models I've used for serious work in the last few years have been paid. Of those, a few are some of the best in the series, a few didn't even make the series, and only one was anywhere in the middle. It's feast or famine, and all about picking the right person. I find that it's easier to mold random rubes into what I want, but they can only go so far.

If my budget allowed, I would absolutely hire more models, but I'd probably never go above 50/50. But if I were doing different work(something more than 'stand there while I take photos') I'd hire every time I could. Sure there'd be some Fs, but I'd get mostly As. But for the project I'm doing now, odd as it sounds, I actually need a lot of Bs.

May 07 17 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

What makes you think a photographer has to have any kind of connection to the "business world" to be able to create a great image that a model could use for their portfolio?  Trust me, A LOT of "professional" photographers create absolutely horrible images that don't help the model's portfolio in any way as well. 

On the other hand, there are many many talented amateurs who create unbelievable images that IMHO, have the smarts to stay out of it as a profession. 

Pay NEVER has any bearing as to whether anyone is good at doing something.  That goes for anything.  Music.  Sports.  Art.  Whatever.

May 07 17 06:11 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

i paid at first but eventually transitioned to all TF. working with newer models and not pushing nudes on them may have helped (i also gave them a proofing gallery and let them choose their favorites). i also shot zivity sets where the sets gets votes which can translate into real money for both photographer and model. i've also done barter (exchanging lodging for a shoot). exotic dancers sometimes need publicity shots.

in terms of getting paid, there was (haven't shot for money in a few years so things may have changed) a market for boudoir. women doing sets for their significant other or just for themselves. although at the end of the day i started to feel like it would be better for them to have had a female photographer (in theory the significant other is less likely to get upset about that).

May 07 17 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Paying, getting paid, trading is ALL about the same thing.

NETWORKING!
Networking is not posting a few photos in a forum/gallery & maybe going to one photo meet up a year.

Networking is meeting & INTERACTING with people.
The interaction is the important part, not the camera.

When I was just learning photography, I practiced on my friends, they let me practice, because they enjoyed spending time with me, & the bad photos were a good memento of a deranged mini adventure. They told their friends, they wanted to be photographed during a deranged mini adventure, and so on.... I watermark all my photos with an easy to read logo that matches my company name. The watermark helps identify the person who is in charge of these deranged mini adventure photos.

Now years later I'm STILL in touch with some of those people, we STILL practice & in the past decade I have more people to interact with.

I've been charging for my photos since 2007 & running professional studios since 2010, however, the NETWORKING is the same, interact with people, present your offer (trade,paid,whatever) and eventually one person will say yes. Your GOAL is to allow that person to have such a great time, (great time then photos) they tell THREE of their friends, and then you present THESE three friends with the same package. (trade,paid,whatever)

I had two shoots yesterday below is the general winding network path that they came upon me:

K comes to my studio
Red posted a few fliers telling people to go to me, K saw those fliers & knows Red
Red knows me from asking around in SF who does good burlesque/pin up photography.
My name came up.
J hires my studio & brings in 2-6 people each month, now those 2-6 people know me.
2-6 people a month for a year... ONE of them referred me to Red
J met me through an art show.
now we've gone back 10+ years & my memory is fuzzy....

A comes to my studio
A knows M, who I met at a club 20 years ago. We stayed in contact for 20 years, we went out togeather, danced, shot cameras, & are friends.
M told A, Hey go to Mariah, she is great.

Remember that 2-6 people a month above, M knows some of those people too....
We are ALL connected, the more connections you make, the more OTHERS connect you, with even more people.

Networking is not just posting a photo on facebook or instagram hashtag hashtag hashtag:
Networking is attending the shows you're invited to.
Networking is throwing a party & inviting people to your space (or another space)
Networking is bringing soup/nyquil/food/drink to a friend, or someone that will become a friend.
Networking is being a "regular" at several small businesses, & getting to know people in person.

I have over 1500+ people on my Facebook photography page, MANY of them interact with my posts.
Don't JUST post photos, ask questions, interact with people...
https://www.facebook.com/CarlePhotography/

May 07 17 08:10 am Link

Photographer

TomFRohwer

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

To pay or to be paid...That is the question.....

To answer with Shakespeare: as you like it.

May 07 17 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

Browse my portfolio and gallery, I've never paid a model.

I have BEEN paid for some shoots.

What would you like to know?

May 12 17 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I primarily shoot art nudes. 90% of those are on a trade basis. I have had trade fine art shoots in New York, California and Salt Lake City, using models local to those areas. Every Spring for the last 5 years I have traveled with models from MN driving across country and shooting in many states to California, New Mexico, Badlands South Dakota.

I think the hardest thing to do, is make it known that you work on a trade basis, and are no longer paying models. In 2011 I spent over $7,000 paying models, both traveling models coming to Mn and a few of the Stand out models local to MN. In 2012 I decided to stop doing that and work with models only on a trade basis.  I was afraid that my model pool would dry up, and that no one would want to work with me. That though was simply not the case.

Models did want to work with me and I wAs lucky enough to discover some new faces for fine art modeling.

I began to develop a team of models from MM or from local art schools to shoot with me. Many (almost all) of my collaborators had never posed nude before shooting with me. I was able to shoot some of these models between 10 and 20 times a year .  At least 5 of these models still shoot only with me after 4 and 5 years.  ( I am so indebted to my wonderful team of muses who have helped me achieve my photographic vision.)

The key is to find models who love what you create and want to be a part of it. Then after you work with them quickly turn around the work be generous with your edits. In other words I will complete 20 to 30 images within 2 days and send back to the models.  When I have an exhibition I invite the whole team to come. When I sell any of my images I pay the model 50% of the profit.

Also, after about 10 shoots I produce a blurb book using their very best paper and hardcover bindings of their work. These aren't for sale and are created for myself and the model. 

I also have two get together a year at Christmas and my birthday where my collaborators go out to a local restaurant for dinner and I give them framed images of my work with them, a few other presents like journals and nice pens as well art and fashion books I know they are interested.

So yes it takes a bit of an effort and I am sure it is not for everybody. But, it has worked well for me and the models who are part of my team, and at the end of the day that is all that really matters.

Do I pay models? Yes I will still pay a model or two. My last trip to California I paid two models and shot trade with 3 models as well as had a MN model fly out and work with me for 2 weeks.

I may still pay a local MN model but for me to do so they have to be better then the models on my team, and that is rarely true.  Will I pay a traveling model? Maybe but they need to be amazing art models which is also rarely the case.

So I hope this answers your question about working with models on a trade basis. If you want more information you can PM me.

Best of luck in your photographic pursuits

Risen Phoenix

May 12 17 05:46 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1. You join model and photographer and photography groups. 
2. You put out a call for your project or idea.
3. You get interested parties.

At least that's how it works for me.

Ive found the groups to be pretty worthless, theyre either full of random people that just want to hit on you or get told theyre pretty in their selfies or they're so curated it's just one guys group of friends, theres little in-between

Instagram is just as bad, i was looking for a #torontomalemodel a few weeks ago...i got pictures of women...and sticks.

May 13 17 04:00 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Newbies tend to shoot their friends or do group shoots where its either free or they might pay something but aren't paying a model directly. They also offer stuff that isn't money (hosting) Or they shoot trade with other newbies. As you get better at your photography you climb the ladder and start attracting better models. Eventually you're a top photographer shooting top models. If you never get better then...well... cash or something else valuable

May 13 17 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Different people have different motivations for what they do.
Some people are just here to create interesting work others do it because they want some crisp new dollars.
There is no one reason for anything.

May 29 17 03:28 pm Link