Forums > General Industry > TP no good? seeking advices

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hi photographers and models,

I'm not new to photography but I'm new to this site. Recently I posted a casting looking for models with TP. A model contacted me and we had some discussions. I also shared my work which is not publically available. She agreed to collaborate with me. But since then she has flaked three times, two of them were at the last moment. I understand that she might be busy with school and sometimes can get disorganized. But tree times is just not good. Photographers, you know how much preparation you do for every shooting and you also need to push things aside to make time commitment. In my understanding, TP is not free for photographers. They invest time and efforts in preparation, post-processing, and etc. In this case, I even planned to treat her a nice meal in a rooftop restaurant (also a nice place for indoor shooting) to appreciate her time, which might cost more than payment if going paid. Still it did not work out. I'm not sure if I should draw a conclusion based on my limited experience that TP is no good. I really appreciate if you guys can threw out your thoughts.

So my question for you, models, do you take TP appointments seriously? How differently you prioritize a paid assignment and a TP assignment? In what situation you would like to take a TP appointment from a photographer (the photographer's experience? )? 

My question for photographers, how is your experience with TP assignments, compared with paid assignments? I haven't started making paid assignment casting calls yet. My shooting style is more of a natural and casual setting, capturing the moments of the models' moments in a daily-life fashion. If I pay the model, the setting and my mindset could be different. And I don't make money out of my photography. If TP is no good, I would go paid.  I appreciate your advices.

May 14 17 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

NeoQ wrote:
TP is not free for photographers.

TP* is not "free" for anyone.  There are expenses & time commitments for all participants.

NeoQ wrote:
So my question for you, models, do you take TP appointments seriously?

Some do.  Some don't.

NeoQ wrote:
My question for photographers, how is your experience with TP assignments, compared with paid assignments?

One quick observation:  I believe in the adage "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".  In this particular case, that means that I might give a flaking model a second chance, but I probably wouldn't give her a third chance.

The harsh reality is that a photographer's "flake ratio" varies greatly from photographer to photographer, even if they are swimming in the same pool of local talent.  There are lots of ways a photographer can improve his "flake ratio".  Some ideas are...
...  Be selective when choosing models -- choose models who have a good track record of showing up.
...  Understand the appeal of what you are offering from the model's point of view:
     ---  For example, the offer of a rooftop meal might be a turn-off for some models.  It makes it sound like a
           date, or it might extend the time commitment unnecessarily.
...  Offer a product that is superior to what the model has already ("superior" as defined by the model, not you).
...  Be clear in all communications, and by "clear", I also mean terse.

Good luck.

May 14 17 09:02 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

99% Of my work here is TFP, so you can definitely get great work with TFP models. However, even more so than in real life, if you're getting a flaky vibe, you should bail. Once they start doing that, it never gets better, only worse.

Also, here's something that I've learned that helps minimize the feeling that you're missing out on something, there is *always* another new face for you around the corner, there is almost never a reason to believe that some model is sooo special that you have to work with *this one* (of course there are exceptions to that thought, but by and large, decent new faces come along every week).

One final thought that's a little off-topic, but since you mentioned it... Some models may be put off by your offer to take them to a nice dinner. I'm sure your intentions were purely to provide the model with a nice meal for her efforts, but it's not uncommon for some amateur photographers to confuse a shoot with a date. Just because a model likes your work, and wants to work with you, does not mean she enjoys you personally, and wants to spend time with you outside of a shoot. I'm not saying that in any kind of negative way, it's just an observation that in this industry, while there are many who are working on their craft, it is also commonly accepted that there are a few that use things like MM and shoots as dating options. I would suggest instead, if you'd like, to give her a gift card to a nice restaurant, if she chooses to take you, hey great, if not, I'm sure she appreciates the gift.

May 14 17 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

TF shoots have been positive for me.  Since I started with MM, only 1 flaked, even after I confirmed 3-4 hours before the shoot.

With that said, I haven't posted a casting call.  I've just been answering them.

Just shot a with model that joined last week.  She was so freakin' organized.  She was putting a team of MUAH, Stylist, photographer and send out a call sheet.  I can't remember the last time I've seen the word 'call sheet'.  lol.  But, in the end, it was just me, her, and stylist that joined last minute.  Also, she responds to her messages within a day...sometimes within hours.

For your case, I would not have let her flake 3 times.  Maybe just a second chance then that's it.  Cut your losses and move on. 

As far as suggestions:

1) Sometimes, a tell-tale sign is when they take forever to respond.
2) Continue with TF.  Though, flake ratio will vary.
3) Try Paid.  Better chance.
4) Try going through an agency to test.  I know nothing off but I hear you may be able to test for free.  And, models get in trouble if they flake.  But, getting in the agency door may not be that easy.

May 14 17 09:56 am Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

TF can be really good or result in flakes. It depends on the individuals involved more than anything. Some people just suck at keeping their commitments. In the future, I would advise you not to give anyone that many opportunities to waste your time. Unless there's a damn good reason, move on to the next. Life happens, but it shouldn't happen so much that someone flakes three times on the same appointment.

The dinner thing... It seems harmless to me, but that's not to say that it wouldn't make another model uncomfortable, especially for a first shoot. It does give a date like vibe, which could range from being harmless to being seen as very creepy. You mentioned that the restaurant is a good location to shoot, so it may be better to just suggest shooting there and leave dinner as more of an afterthought.

May 14 17 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

WisconsinArt

Nashotah, Wisconsin, US

Flaking seems to be the norm, even when I'm willing to pay. I did have a great shoot a week ago, there are good models out there.

I've learned to have  Plan B when I'm set up for a shoot so the time isn't wasted if the jerk fails to show up. I win either way.

May 14 17 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

NeoQ wrote:
She agreed to collaborate with me. But since then she has flaked three times

The Model obviously does not take Her work seriously, has little to no respect for You as a Photographer nor Your project, or She is not who She claims to be.

Give a 2nd chance perhaps, but a 3rd?

No

May 14 17 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thank you guys!  I really appreciate you sharing experience with me. I have a better understanding now.

Several people asked why a third chance. I thought this is a professional community (not like a craigslist), which is supposed to hold higher standards. The first time, she notified me several days in advance that she could not come. I thought she was a responsible person since she was aware that she had a commitment. The second time, she said she thought she would have had time but she was not able to finish her final paper in time. A reasonable argument since I was in school 5 years ago and I know how the final week can be disorganized. I didn't think much about her ability of keeping a promise until this weekend. She simply said: something came up and she couldn't make it the night before appointment when I was trying to confirm with her regarding the appointment. I finally realized (after reading the responses and thinking about the three flakes) that this is just another craigslist, not a professional community. There are reliable people here; there are also people who don't give a weight to their credibility and reputation.

May 14 17 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I shoot TFP often.  Finding models isn't a problem for me.   My advise is to keep casting for models!

May 14 17 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

NeoQ wrote:
Recently I posted a casting looking for models with TP.

TP???
https://chooseaninspiredlife.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/roll_2586757b.jpg

May 14 17 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not dinner, just brunch. Since the appointment is 10 to 1:30PM, and the last photo location is in a rooftop restaurant, I would feel being very cheap if I don't offer a treat. I sincerely appreciate models' time when doing TFP since they could have used the time for making money. I don't think this would sound like a date. Does everyone else think so? 

Questions for all of you, when you do TFP, do you show your appreciation by means other than giving photos to models? 

Models, do you expect additional appreciation from photographers ?

Lieza Nova wrote:
TF can be really good or result in flakes. It depends on the individuals involved more than anything. Some people just suck at keeping their commitments. In the future, I would advise you not to give anyone that many opportunities to waste your time. Unless there's a damn good reason, move on to the next. Life happens, but it shouldn't happen so much that someone flakes three times on the same appointment.

The dinner thing... It seems harmless to me, but that's not to say that it wouldn't make another model uncomfortable, especially for a first shoot. It does give a date like vibe, which could range from being harmless to being seen as very creepy. You mentioned that the restaurant is a good location to shoot, so it may be better to just suggest shooting there and leave dinner as more of an afterthought.

May 14 17 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

NeoQ wrote:
Thank you guys!  I really appreciate you sharing experience with me. I have a better understanding now.

Several people asked why a third chance. I thought this is a professional community (not like a craigslist), which is supposed to hold higher standards.

I finally realized (after reading the responses and thinking about the three flakes) that this is just another craigslist, not a professional community. There are reliable people here; there are also people who don't give a weight to their credibility and reputation.

No, this is not a "professional community/"   I don't know of any online professional communities unless one is prepared to spend a lot of money on a membership and even then those are not foolproof either.   I learned how to do casting calls professionally in my own local community by doing so at the college facilities near me.  There are no legit modeling agencies near me, so I had to run my business by doing so.  I've been shooting since long before the digital age, when film, landline phones and meeting in person previous to a shoot were the rule.   For gosh  sake!   Don't offer dinner!  Meeting at a coffee place is good enough.

May 14 17 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for your advice. Another reply also mentioned that a meal might be a turnoff. Please see my following up post regarding the meal.

Looknsee Photography wrote:

NeoQ wrote:
TP is not free for photographers.

TP* is not "free" for anyone.  There are expenses & time commitments for all participants.

NeoQ wrote:
So my question for you, models, do you take TP appointments seriously?

Some do.  Some don't.

One quick observation:  I believe in the adage "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".  In this particular case, that means that I might give a flaking model a second chance, but I probably wouldn't give her a third chance.

The harsh reality is that a photographer's "flake ratio" varies greatly from photographer to photographer, even if they are swimming in the same pool of local talent.  There are lots of ways a photographer can improve his "flake ratio".  Some ideas are...
...  Be selective when choosing models -- choose models who have a good track record of showing up.
...  Understand the appeal of what you are offering from the model's point of view:
     ---  For example, the offer of a rooftop meal might be a turn-off for some models.  It makes it sound like a
           date, or it might extend the time commitment unnecessarily.
...  Offer a product that is superior to what the model has already ("superior" as defined by the model, not you).
...  Be clear in all communications, and by "clear", I also mean terse.

Good luck.

May 14 17 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thank you! Lesson learned. TFP is TFP, fair enough. No additional appreciation. By the way, it is not a dinner. It's a brunch in the place where we planned to shoot some pictures. And it's lunch time. I just feel uncomfortable not offering.

Patrick Walberg wrote:

No, this is not a "professional community/"   I don't know of any online professional communities unless one is prepared to spend a lot of money on a membership and even then those are not foolproof either.   I learned how to do casting calls professionally in my own local community by doing so at the college facilities near me.  There are no legit modeling agencies near me, so I had to run my business by doing so.  I've been shooting since long before the digital age, when film, landline phones and meeting in person previous to a shoot were the rule.   For gosh  sake!   Don't offer dinner!  Meeting at a coffee place is good enough.

May 14 17 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

TFP

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

TP???
https://chooseaninspiredlife.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/roll_2586757b.jpg

May 14 17 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

lol

TP???

May 14 17 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thank you! 

lol.  I didn't think too much about the date thing. Please see my reply below. Please let me know if you still think it is not appropriate to offer a lunch after you read my reply. I really want to know how you guys think about this.

DespayreFX wrote:
99% Of my work here is TFP, so you can definitely get great work with TFP models. However, even more so than in real life, if you're getting a flaky vibe, you should bail. Once they start doing that, it never gets better, only worse.

Also, here's something that I've learned that helps minimize the feeling that you're missing out on something, there is *always* another new face for you around the corner, there is almost never a reason to believe that some model is sooo special that you have to work with *this one* (of course there are exceptions to that thought, but by and large, decent new faces come along every week).

One final thought that's a little off-topic, but since you mentioned it... Some models may be put off by your offer to take them to a nice dinner. I'm sure your intentions were purely to provide the model with a nice meal for her efforts, but it's not uncommon for some amateur photographers to confuse a shoot with a date. Just because a model likes your work, and wants to work with you, does not mean she enjoys you personally, and wants to spend time with you outside of a shoot. I'm not saying that in any kind of negative way, it's just an observation that in this industry, while there are many who are working on their craft, it is also commonly accepted that there are a few that use things like MM and shoots as dating options. I would suggest instead, if you'd like, to give her a gift card to a nice restaurant, if she chooses to take you, hey great, if not, I'm sure she appreciates the gift.

May 14 17 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Everything in my portfolio was shot TFCD (Except the Golf Digest tearsheet for which I was paid as a model) So yes, trade is good but, equally, there will be flakes, cancellations, misunderstandings among the guys and girls involved, but there are ways to reduce the number and to reduce the negative impact of those that do occur.
1-Communicate--in person if practical but if not by phone or email--BEFORE firming up the shoot.  The first step is to negotiate all the terms and to determine the comfort levels of all participants with all aspects of the shoot.  When, Where, Why, How Many pics, How much time will the shoot take,  How long will it take to deliver the model and/or other members of the team the pictures,  the terms of the release, EVERYTHING! 
2-Verify (preferably in writing) everything you've discussed.  I prefer the MM private message system because it allows me to keep everything in one place where everyone can see it, but if not, at least by exchanging emails.  If there is any significant disagreement between you  fix it or just cancel the shoot.
3-Confirm the shoot a day or two before by phone and email.  If your call and/or email doesn't produce a confirmation within a reasonable time, send one last message stating that without confirmation you consider the shoot cancelled.
4-If the model hasn't arrived within 15 minutes of the scheduled time (how long depending on traffic patterns in your area) call and text to be sure the model is on his/her way.  If you can't reach her (I wouldn't want anyone to text or call me when in heavy traffic. give it another 15 minutes or so just in case.  If no model or call within that time, send her a text message informing her that you consider the shoot cancelled.  Same thing she answers or calls back to tell you that she overslept or that her grandmother died.
5-Put the time to good use--Dust your lenses, rearrange your prop closet, compose a new casting call, call two other models that you've been trying to book--Anything, just don't waste the time.

Will all this eliminate flakes?  Not completely, but taken as your method of booking shoots, it will reduce the number and the impact of the flakes that do occur.  It works for me.

All IMHO as always, of course.

May 14 17 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

NeoQ wrote:
Thank you! Lesson learned. TFP is TFP, fair enough. No additional appreciation. By the way, it is not a dinner. It's a brunch in the place where we planned to shoot some pictures. And it's lunch time. I just feel uncomfortable not offering.

Understood.  If it is a place where you'll be shooting, it makes sense.  I get to know models by using various methods of communication.  I'll make contact by messaging, but jump over to other social networks that have a better messaging tool, like Facebook.  Then we'll also exchange emails and phone numbers.  We'' text, and at least speak once on the phone before I even consider a shoot to be booked.  Then I do compensate, meaning that if not pay, by feeding, providing for transportation, etc ....  so it's all good.

May 14 17 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Rays Fine Art wrote:
Everything in my portfolio was shot TFCD (Except the Golf Digest tearsheet for which I was paid as a model) So yes, trade is good but, equally, there will be flakes, cancellations, misunderstandings among the guys and girls involved, but there are ways to reduce the number and to reduce the negative impact of those that do occur.
1-Communicate--in person if practical but if not by phone or email--BEFORE firming up the shoot.  The first step is to negotiate all the terms and to determine the comfort levels of all participants with all aspects of the shoot.  When, Where, Why, How Many pics, How much time will the shoot take,  How long will it take to deliver the model and/or other members of the team the pictures,  the terms of the release, EVERYTHING! 
2-Verify (preferably in writing) everything you've discussed.  I prefer the MM private message system because it allows me to keep everything in one place where everyone can see it, but if not, at least by exchanging emails.  If there is any significant disagreement between you  fix it or just cancel the shoot.
3-Confirm the shoot a day or two before by phone and email.  If your call and/or email doesn't produce a confirmation within a reasonable time, send one last message stating that without confirmation you consider the shoot cancelled.
4-If the model hasn't arrived within 15 minutes of the scheduled time (how long depending on traffic patterns in your area) call and text to be sure the model is on his/her way.  If you can't reach her (I wouldn't want anyone to text or call me when in heavy traffic. give it another 15 minutes or so just in case.  If no model or call within that time, send her a text message informing her that you consider the shoot cancelled.  Same thing she answers or calls back to tell you that she overslept or that her grandmother died.
5-Put the time to good use--Dust your lenses, rearrange your prop closet, compose a new casting call, call two other models that you've been trying to book--Anything, just don't waste the time.

Will all this eliminate flakes?  Not completely, but taken as your method of booking shoots, it will reduce the number and the impact of the flakes that do occur.  It works for me.

You and I conduct our "business" in much the same way.  I think having been involved with casting theater actors, bands, and then models while I was in college helped me greatly to understand what it takes.  Although I've greatly reduced the number of flakes, it is impossible to eliminate it completely.  Things happen. I do remember those very few that have pulled a "no show/no call" on me ... and they don't get another chance.  It's just the way I have to be.

May 14 17 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

In my experience, the more pay that is at stake, the less likely the model is to flake, but paying, even paying well is no guarantee a model won't flake or cancel.  Is it worthwhile to pay $100/hour (or what ever)  just to decrease the odds of cancellation?   That's something every photographer has to figure out for themselves.

Here's some non monetary ways I've saved time and effort on flaky models:

1. Don't invite models who cancel back, especially 3 times!

2. I don't chase models who drop communications. Odds are they won't follow through.  Better in my opinion to invest that time in a new model who is more serious.

3.  Confirmations:  1 by email about 3 days ahead, 1 by phone an hour ahead.  This has prevented no shows, but not cancelations.  Knowing a model won't show ahead of time, does however save me time and aggravation.

4.  Clear, concise communication - Be sure the model knows all the relevant details and knows you are serious. Again, a confirmation let's the model know you are really counting on her showing up.

5.  I never give up anything important or invest anything in a shoot with a model I've never worked with before.  If she cancels last minute, no big deal.   I'll do something else with my time.

6. Just accept models are flaky compared to other groups of people.  Complaining about it doesn't help.  It is what it is. (I think there are identifiable reasons why independent models are less reliable, but that's another topic.)

May 14 17 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

NeoQ wrote:
In this case, I even planned to treat her a nice meal in a rooftop restaurant (also a nice place for indoor shooting) to appreciate her time, which might cost more than payment if going paid.

Maybe just pay her and release yourself from the need to retouch a lot of images?

NeoQ wrote:
Not dinner, just brunch.

So it really wasn't all that big of a deal!

1) I've read of photographers who intended to give nice meals, nice tips, etc.  No mention if the model was aware of these intentions.  If not, they can't be considered as enticements.

2) Quite a few restaurants have signs prohibiting cameras.

May 14 17 04:00 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

NeoQ wrote:
Not dinner, just brunch. Since the appointment is 10 to 1:30PM, and the last photo location is in a rooftop restaurant, I would feel being very cheap if I don't offer a treat. I sincerely appreciate models' time when doing TFP since they could have used the time for making money. I don't think this would sound like a date. Does everyone else think so? 

Questions for all of you, when you do TFP, do you show your appreciation by means other than giving photos to models? 

Models, do you expect additional appreciation from photographers ?

Personally, I'd think that offering brunch is really nice but I can't speak for others and how other models would feel about it. It's an individual thing and the way it comes off depends on too many factors to really make a broad statement about. Saying something like "Since we'll be at the restaurant anyway, if you're hungry, I'll be happy to treat you to lunch" shouldn't be a problem for most models. At least I'd hope not.

I never expected anything other that what the photographer and I have agreed to. Anything beyond that is certainly appreciated, but I wouldn't think poorly of a photographer who didn't offer anything beyond a good shoot and the photos promised.

May 14 17 04:33 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

NeoQ wrote:

It is not a hard line.   If you look at other threads, you may see some replies where the photographer offers substantial extra compensation after the fact.  To some people it is team building.  To some it is an unnecessary expenditure of effort and funds.   You need to make a deal that both you and the other parties are happy with.  If they aren't happy with the deal, they will flake.  If you forget to mention something while doing the negotiations and then remember something like a model release, or a different article of clothing, they may flake.

Some people will be interested in doing TF, but they might ask you to cover gas and tolls, and maybe meals. 

As far as food goes or anything that might make it sound like a date: you can be less formal.  I have bought lunch and dinner for models but rather than making it part of the casting call, I approach it like if I don't eat I am going to pass out.  I usually make sure I have enough bottles of water and juice for everybody and offer to let them help themselves.  Throw some good snacks into a cooler just in case.  If you are shooting under the circumstances you describe, you could mention eating while you are there.  Just avoid the date vibe.  It isn't that you can't be a nice guy.

Early on in your thread, I also questioned why you gave a third chance.  Under those circumstances, I get it.  After a while though, you have to wonder if it isn't cheaper to hire someone who is professional and not burdened by other jobs or school.

Going through some other existing threads may help you with MM and expectations.

May 14 17 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

TP???

I was thinking the same thing. Great Fun

May 14 17 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I just shot a fine art nude set today with a new model, not on MM. She came excited worked very hard did a great job. This was a trade shoot, she has aleady received 15 edited images back. Since she drove almost two hours from Wisconsin, I gave her $40 for gas and treated her to lunch at an Egyptian Deli. (Since she was a vegetarian) we have already planned a trip to shoot in the badlands of South Dakota for the 3rd week in June.)

Trade does work, you have to offer what the model is looking for for an experience and for the work. It may take some time if you are new , but I think you will find it will work out great.

May 14 17 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hi Ray, thanks for great advices. After reading your post, I realized that I was not very professional.  For example, I didn't mention how many retouched pictures I will provide, although I intended to give all retouched pictures to her.

By the way, I read your profile. You are amazing! At the age of 80 you are still active in photography! I wish I still know where the shutter button is when I'm 80s. Keep the spirit going!

Rays Fine Art wrote:

May 15 17 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dinner or lunch offers are in general not a good idea before a session.   If things are going well, okay.   Offering it may suggest to the model the shoot is more of a date.   Learn to read models better.   After the first cancellations be wary.  It sounds like she wasn't all that interested.   Going forward rather then offer food maybe a few bucks.   $25.00 or so can really help a broke college student.   I like your Instagram page by the way.

May 15 17 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Bruce

CLEARWATER BEACH, Florida, US

Models treat arranged shoots like dating sites.

They fake and flake randomly, out of the blue, with no logic behind it.

They will also come back weeks or months or sometimes years later and act like they never arranged a shoot with you and try to re-book after seeing great work from you on any social media forum. It's amazing.

Just blacklist them and be sure to give a real suggestion to an inquiring photographer so that he/she may also not waste their time.

May 15 17 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I had a model flake on me twice, and she approached me to do a shoot with her in the first place!

The first time she said she was at the same location as me but at a different end of the parking lot.  She then went to find a phone signal and got a flat tyre on the way back after she had contacted me.  She told me what street she was on so I went to find her but no sign!

The second time I was with another photographer and he set up the shoot while we were driving to a location.  He told me to contact her to confirm things.  She said she would be there and never showed up, we waited an hour for her.  The excuse this time was she went to the location from the week previous.

Needless to say there won't be a third time!

May 15 17 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

iamcurt

London, England, United Kingdom

I was fairly successful with TF shoots initially, but it got to the point where I started tabulating no-shows/cancellations to see if it was something worth fretting about. I think the number was around 80% before I stopped shooting TF with new faces. You mentioned all the work that goes in as a photographer, so you know how valuable your time is. I value my time way more than my abilities. 

Everyone is different, but for me, I stopped shooting TF until a working relationship has been established. It's forced me to step my game up. After all, if you're paying for photos, they gotta be something special (and my gear really really sucks so it's even more of a challenge!).

So there's another perspective to look at it from. You can use your time chasing down models or use your time learning new skills to beef up your repertoire.

May 15 17 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

NeoQ

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thank you! Very useful suggestions!

Abbitt Photography wrote:
In my experience, the more pay that is at stake, the less likely the model is to flake, but paying, even paying well is no guarantee a model won't flake or cancel.  Is it worthwhile to pay $100/hour (or what ever)  just to decrease the odds of cancellation?   That's something every photographer has to figure out for themselves.

Here's some non monetary ways I've saved time and effort on flaky models:

1. Don't invite models who cancel back, especially 3 times!

2. I don't chase models who drop communications. Odds are they won't follow through.  Better in my opinion to invest that time in a new model who is more serious.

3.  Confirmations:  1 by email about 3 days ahead, 1 by phone an hour ahead.  This has prevented no shows, but not cancelations.  Knowing a model won't show ahead of time, does however save me time and aggravation.

4.  Clear, concise communication - Be sure the model knows all the relevant details and knows you are serious. Again, a confirmation let's the model know you are really counting on her showing up.

5.  I never give up anything important or invest anything in a shoot with a model I've never worked with before.  If she cancels last minute, no big deal.   I'll do something else with my time.

6. Just accept models are flaky compared to other groups of people.  Complaining about it doesn't help.  It is what it is. (I think there are identifiable reasons why independent models are less reliable, but that's another topic.)

May 16 17 11:07 pm Link

Model

Mina Salome

Los Angeles, California, US

Yikes, there are some serious horror stories in this thread.  As a model, I haven't experienced anything quite like this with photographers, but I'm also very careful about who I would arrange a trade shoot with.  All I can say is there are great models out there, and great photographers, but not all are created equal.  Look for someone with a lot of different people in their portfolio, and a lot of verified credits.  If you're having a conversation with them by text, email, Model Mayhem messages, or whatever else, they need to be reliably communicative to confirm to you that they are actually interested, especially in the days right before the shoot.  If they are not responding to messages in the days right before a shoot, that's a major red flag for me.

I definitely would not recommend giving a model 3 chances after they flake on you...Every once in a long while, it may be necessary to call in sick or something if there is a drastic reason to cancel the shoot, but it should be a pretty rare thing...there's no excuse to cancel multiple times on someone!  If I was working with someone who was flaking on me like that, I would view it as a flawed work ethic and move on to people with better professional values.

May 17 17 04:57 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

NeoQ wrote:
So my question for you, models, do you take TP appointments seriously? How differently you prioritize a paid assignment and a TP assignment? In what situation you would like to take a TP appointment from a photographer (the photographer's experience? )?

If I arrange a TF shoot, I do take that as seriously as a paying gig, and once it's on my calendar, except in a horrible circumstance, I show up.

But, I don't schedule TF at this point except with other models who also shoot photos who are willing to let me photograph them. Except for that, I just do not schedule TFP. When I was still working TF to build my portfolio, it got last priority and I only ever scheduled those assignments after booking paid work. If I ran out of time (usually did), there were no TF slots available even for myself to shoot other models.

At this point, I won't take TF from a photographer at all. But, I don't book it and not show up. I just don't book TF.

But, her behavior clearly shows she's not serious, and you should just find another model. Wasting that much time is ridiculous and there are other beginning models you can find in your area that will show up.

May 17 17 05:28 pm Link

Model

AlexaMichelle

Severn, Maryland, US

As a model I always take TFP seriously.  I have built up my port that way.  But as with photographers it won't be more important than paid work.  Now that I have a lot of images and getting paid shoots I am not doing many if any TFP

May 18 17 07:44 am Link

Model

AlexaMichelle

Severn, Maryland, US

My big issue with TFP is when a photographer makes me wait a month or more for my images or won't retouch any of the photographers I want. One if you are gonna be that slow just pay the model.  Two if you aren't going to edit any of the images I want how is that a fair trade ??

May 18 17 07:46 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

I find it amusing how everyone interprets offers of food, snacks, refreshments etc during a shoot so differently.

Lunch seems to be ok (presumably because it's daylight), but the sticking point seems to be offers of dinner. Why is it that offers of an after-shoot dinner is a red flag, somehow translating in some models minds that the photographer wants to get their panties off and wear them as a hat?

So lunch is safe, dinner a no no, what about breakfast?

May 18 17 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I like offering nightcaps.  joking joking  big_smile

May 18 17 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:
I find it amusing how everyone interprets offers of food, snacks, refreshments etc during a shoot so differently.

Lunch seems to be ok (presumably because it's daylight), but the sticking point seems to be offers of dinner. Why is it that offers of an after-shoot dinner is a red flag, somehow translating in some models minds that the photographer wants to get their panties off and wear them as a hat?

So lunch is safe, dinner a no no, what about breakfast?

I offer them free sex, straight forward. Just no taker so far.

May 18 17 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Chuckarelei wrote:
I offer them free sex, straight forward. Just no taker so far.

LOL!

That's a definition for TFP I hadn't considered! smile

May 18 17 03:08 pm Link