Forums > Photography Talk > How do you keep you camera in the camera bag/pack?

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

I have many camera bags, I always store my camera with my most used lens attached.  Recently I final bite the bullet and got a Domke bag.  While it is nice, in many situations especially when shooting in the City while walking around.  But I found that their design does not lend itself well when the lens is attached to the camera.  How do you do it?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91IecfFPlJL._SL1500_.jpg

Jun 08 17 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I don't use Domke, but I asked the same question of a couple friends that swear by them. They both had the same answer: scissors.

Jun 08 17 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

My first bag was a Domke many years ago. Since then, I'm into backpacks like Tenba's and now a Lowe Pro. If I only need a small kit, the Timbuk2 Snoop in a messenger bag is inconspicuous.

Jun 08 17 04:41 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I have tried so many bags and back packs.  Some are great for sorting and storing.  None are great for access.  Especially while actively hiking.
I have a couple of custom designs drawn up.  Need to get around to hiring a seamstress.  I can sew it but I am too sloppy.

Jun 08 17 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

JoesAlterrnative

Tampa, Florida, US

I just throw my H3D into a lowepro 200 lol. Less cumbersome the better. Also easier to sneak on as a second carry on :p The more rugged cases and gear looks, the more clumsy I think that person to be lol...jk

Jun 08 17 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm hard on everything I own.  I just throw it in there with other stuff, and zip it up.

Jun 08 17 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I have tried so many bags and back packs.  Some are great for sorting and storing.  None are great for access.  Especially while actively hiking.
I have a couple of custom designs drawn up.  Need to get around to hiring a seamstress.  I can sew it but I am too sloppy.

I don't know if it's still available, but not too long ago LowePro had a hiking bag with a camera section and an aluminum frame and webbing suspension. It was a fantastic bag, and I'd own it myself, but as you know fit is very important when it comes to frame packs. I'm 6', but my torso is a little long so it fit like I were 6'2” or so. I'm guessing if you're in the 5'7”-5'11” range, it would fit perfectly.

Aside from the fit, my only complaint was that the camera portion was too large for me, personally. But I shoot mirrorless and use MF rangefinder lenses, so I have that complaint a lot. It's a perfect fit for a DSLR with two pro/semi-pro lenses.

Jun 08 17 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

I use a small Tamrac Zuma 7 backpack.  I'm pretty sure that what it is.  Had it maybe since 2012-2013.  Love this little guy.

https://i.imgur.com/w60pOAx.jpg

Has a side access.

https://i.imgur.com/PSAhQAt.jpg

12" MacBook fits perfectly.

https://i.imgur.com/lq5I7lP.jpg

Fits my main gear just right even with lens and hood attached.  A7RII + Sigma 35 f1.4.  A7II + Sigma 85 f1.4.  Money Maker dual strap.  There's also a flash and radio trigger underneath the strap.

https://i.imgur.com/g3BSPK8.jpg

Accessories area.

https://i.imgur.com/vH0QYXL.jpg

Jun 08 17 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Connor Photography wrote:
But I found that their design does not lend itself well when the lens is attached to the camera.  How do you do it?

Connor I primarily shoot active sports now... i.e. Soccer; Hunter/Jumper etc. with an AF-S 200-400mm F/4G IF ED VR which comes with it's own case...  The Nikon CL-L2

This case is actually designed to accomodate a Pro Body attached to the lens...
I use it with my D3 and D3x
Also with an AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR attached to either a D610 or D7200

This case is bomb proof.... The padding is so thick that your kit will be totally protected...
The base is a solid composite and easily stands upright...

Best of all the build quality is absolutely superb!
I can't believe I was foolish enough to initially waste money on a ThinkTank Backpack case with it's crappy build quality...
Avoid ThinkTank... Their stuff is lame...  The Zippers jam and materials are even close to the Nikon CL-L2 case...

Hope this helps...

Jun 08 17 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

Trevor Goddard

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I see most people of lens attached to camera when in their bags well I learnt the hard way last year when the lens mount on camera actually broke...

So now when I pack my bag lens is always off camera its best  [style color="C03"]Red Text[/style]

Jun 09 17 01:06 am Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Zack Zoll wrote:
I don't use Domke, but I asked the same question of a couple friends that swear by them. They both had the same answer: scissors.

ha ha ha..interesting!

Jun 09 17 02:44 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Black Z Eddie wrote:
I use a small Tamrac Zuma 7 backpack.  I'm pretty sure that what it is.  Had it maybe since 2012-2013.  Love this little guy.

That is interesting.  I will have to check around for one.

It doesn't quite fit my needs unless I am doing a day trip.  I am looking for something that is functional for my camera stuff when I also have a couple of changes of clothing, food, tent, bag, etc.  The side access is something I included in my sketches.  Also had considered mounting fanny pack like bags on the hip belt of the back pack.   Mounting sense type cases on the front of the shoulder strap is a possibility.

Jun 09 17 04:52 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Zack Zoll wrote:

I don't know if it's still available, but not too long ago LowePro had a hiking bag with a camera section and an aluminum frame and webbing suspension. It was a fantastic bag, and I'd own it myself, but as you know fit is very important when it comes to frame packs. I'm 6', but my torso is a little long so it fit like I were 6'2” or so. I'm guessing if you're in the 5'7”-5'11” range, it would fit perfectly.

Aside from the fit, my only complaint was that the camera portion was too large for me, personally. But I shoot mirrorless and use MF rangefinder lenses, so I have that complaint a lot. It's a perfect fit for a DSLR with two pro/semi-pro lenses.

I remember the days when a back pack was just a canvas bag with web straps.  No frames.  The first aluminum frames: L  shaped things that we could tie our bags on, and the frames had padded straps.  Whoa!  Cool stuff!   I found one of those frames in an antique store last year and I bought it.  I use it to tie hard objects to.  Mostly work related items. Thinking about building a box for paints and easel to use with it.  (Too many ideas, not enough execution!)

Jun 09 17 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

I remember the days when a back pack was just a canvas bag with web straps.  No frames.  The first aluminum frames: L  shaped things that we could tie our bags on, and the frames had padded straps.  Whoa!  Cool stuff!   I found one of those frames in an antique store last year and I bought it.  I use it to tie hard objects to.  Mostly work related items. Thinking about building a box for paints and easel to use with it.  (Too many ideas, not enough execution!)

I know those bags ... They were marketed as Alpine Style if I recall. A lot of shops, especially those with an Army/Navy slant, still carry them.

The fitted frame is potentially smaller and lighter, and allows for a more customized fit that distributes weight better and allows greater mobility. On the other hand, the L frame is more modular, and can be made to fit most everybody. If you're not actually hiking with it(or not hiking far), the older style is a better platform to carry more crap.

Jun 09 17 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I see camera bags as an invitation to theft.

So many options for carrying things!!!

I prefer to travel light and use beat up looking old sports bags mostly. Some of them are well padded and well made.

Less tempting, assumption might be "old guy's sweaty workout clothes".

Stealth.

Jun 09 17 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

I gave that very same Domke (if it's an F2) bag to a friend a year or two ago. I used to use it with a D7000, usually had a 17-55mm f/2.8 attached. It was snug, but fit. I also carried around another lens or 2, a super clamp, and a 2 SB-800s. When I started shooting more film it just started to collect dust sad

Now I'm on the other end of the aperture scale with an F64 bag for large format. The Mamiya goes in a Lowepro bag, I don't remember which.

For the Domke, I had the lenses and accessories in the padded partitions off to the back, and the camera turned to the side and pointed face down toward the front. Was easy to flip open the top and pull out the camera ready to shoot.

Edit:

https://www.cambags.com/media/reviews/photos/original/3e/da/9a/domke-f2-nikon-f4-david-5-25-1405952966.jpg
Just like this, except lens pointed down, which lets you use a longer one.

Jun 09 17 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Mikey McMichaels

New York, New York, US

I pretty much have everything in a think tank pouch and then have a variety of non-camerabags that I use to carry them around.

When I used a Domke for my 5D3 with 24-70, I kept it in the main compartment with nothing else and carried extra lenses in the outside pouches.

The best was when I was using a 1D4. I found that with a 1.3 crop, 24mm was perfect and I'd just carry the camera and nothing else. Either a hand strap or an extremely short shoulder strap.

Jun 10 17 03:27 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I use a large Tenba messenger bag.

Jun 10 17 05:09 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I use ThinkTank bags. Mostly Retrospective bags, which look good and protect everything nicely. I can pack my cameras with and without lenses. I also use a Thinktank Airport Advantage, but I pack it with bodies and lenses separately.

Jun 11 17 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

I don't keep a body in my bag.  It's simple as that.

My favorite bag is the Retrospective 10 by ThinkTank but I don't put a body in it.
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products … pective-10

My go kit stays by the back door of the house. It includes my usual lenses, a flash, flash triggers, spare batteries, cards and some cleaning stuff and an unopened pack of smokes.

Beside it is my body and what ever lens happens to be attached to it.  I grab both when I run out the door.  If I need to switch lenses my most used lenses all fit in the bag.  Those are a 28mm prime, a 50mm prime, a 105mm micro, a 14-24 zoom and a 70-200 zoom.  I also keep a little GoPro in there as well just incase but that's more of an accessory type idem.

That's basically it.  My bag is used for lenses and accessories.  Never a body.

Jun 12 17 06:28 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I own at least  3 dozen camera bags. About 15 of them are my favorite. Different bags work better in certain conditions. No one bag is perfect for all occasions. I would never buy a bag based on another photographers recommendation. No two people work or travel the same. I looked at but was never tempted by a Domkke bag. They seemed really optimized for 35mm film photojournalist work, which isnt my bag, man.

Jun 21 17 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Jun 21 17 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Fat Kitty Graphics

Fullerton, California, US

first off all camera  bags are just for storing and carrying camera when NOT IN USE
putting a camera in and out of a bag is anti productive and uncreative
Keep your camera strapped around your neck when walking around shooting
no lens cap either
just shoot
Also I dont like camera bags with hooks on them, or zippers that take too long to open, to get to your camera
I love tenba bags because they tend to have snap locks or adjustable straps on them, crumplers are nice too
many Other bag companies have  the same snap locks and adjustable straps on them too
You should never in my opinion own a bag where you have to struggle to open it in a hurry, you should be able to get your camera out in seconds
That bag you have is just for storage due to the locks
sell it on ebay or shoot with your camera out of the bag most of the time
reporter guys like your bag because it is soft walled and wraps around their hips but they run with the camera in their hands and the bag carries their other lenses
I just could never get used to that bag, I recommend selling it on ebay and getting a more useful bag

Jun 22 17 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Fletcher

Norman, Oklahoma, US

You can't take a picture with the camera in a bag.

Jun 24 17 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-49elZX5FDXo/VDfoZOBhsPI/AAAAAAAAP4I/yJ7cMRSABXs/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/Pampers%2BBabyGotMoves%2BGiveaway.jpg

Nobody will want to steal it.

Jun 24 17 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Lindridge

Canterbury, England, United Kingdom

Fat Kitty Graphics wrote:
I love tenba bags because they tend to have snap locks or adjustable straps on them,

Got a Tenba DNA11 the other day and it's great, It is intentionally small but can just take my X-T2 with 56mm attached plus one or two other lenses, has a zip on the top so you can quickly lift in and out without undoing the bag, silent velcro if that matters, and has more pockets than a snooker lounge.

Jun 24 17 03:07 pm Link