Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Ever See An Older Dental Hygienists?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I used to think that only young people were dental hygienists.  That's because...
...  Dental hygienists had to have good eyes for detailed, close in work, and older eyes often can't cut it.
...  Dental hygienists had to have some good flexibility to move around the light & patient.

But today, I was served by an older hygienists -- she must have been late 40s or early 50s -- she mentioned that her children were adult.  The difference:  she had this custom fitted headgear, with an LED spotlight (replacing the big light on an arm that had to be adjusted every now & then) and with custom magnifiers perfectly placed to look at her patient's mouth.

Technology has lengthened that hygienist's career.

Jun 15 17 08:13 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

The woman who always cleans my teeth is probably in her 50s.

Jun 16 17 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

My hygienist is a young woman in her 40's with three children. My dentist is an even younger woman, mid-30's, who just had her first child. When I was in the Air Force, at Moody AFB, we had a hygienist nicknamed "Bloody Mary."

Jun 16 17 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

There are more of them around than you know. A lot of female dentists are former hygienists.

Jun 16 17 05:17 am Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

Eye of the World wrote:
There are more of them around than you know. A lot of female dentists are former hygienists.

...just like many pilots are former flight attendants.

Jun 16 17 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

hbutz New York wrote:

...just like many pilots are former flight attendants.

...just like many photographers are former models.

Jun 16 17 08:14 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Seriously? 

*struggling not to use this as an example of the pervasive attitude around here of "I've never seen it so it must not exist."*

*lost fight*

It's a big world out there if you step away from the keyboard every now and then. smile

Jun 16 17 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MoRina wrote:
Seriously? 

*struggling not to use this as an example of the pervasive attitude around here of "I've never seen it so it must not exist."*

*lost fight*

It's a big world out there if you step away from the keyboard every now and then. smile

I agree!   smile

Jun 16 17 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

MoRina wrote:
Seriously? 

*lost fight*

Please reread my original post.  I never expressed a "I've never seen it so it must not exist" sentiment.  I've been going to dentists for several decades, and until yesterday, all my hygienists were ~35 y.o. or less.  I also expressed satisfaction that technology allowed this particular hygienist was able to extend her career.

So, I'm now going to use your post as an example of how poor comprehension skills are used to warp other people's posts to fit into one's own agenda.  sad

Jun 16 17 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Please reread my original post.  I never expressed a "I've never seen it so it must not exist" sentiment.  I've been going to dentists for several decades, and until yesterday, all my hygienists were ~35 y.o. or less.  I also expressed satisfaction that technology allowed this particular hygienist was able to extend her career.

So, I'm now going to use your post as an example of how poor comprehension skills are used to warp other people's posts to fit into one's own agenda.  sad

I felt the same as Mo when I read your post.  Your experience is limited to your area.

Jun 16 17 12:09 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Ok. Except I don't have any agenda and my comprehension skills are excellent...  I simply made an observation from your post.

Jun 16 17 12:37 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

My hygienist is about my age or a little younger.  Consequently, every time I go I am using a hygienist that is older than any hygienist I have ever used.

http://www.americanpress.com/news/local … 20bc0.html

Dental Hygienist term coined in 1913
1919 there were 8000 DH in the US
1965 there were about 15,400 in the US
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental_hygienist

Jun 16 17 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I felt the same as Mo when I read your post.  Your experience is limited to your area.

MoRina wrote:
Ok. Except I don't have any agenda and my comprehension skills are excellent...  I simply made an observation from your post.

I didn't have an agenda either.  Admittedly, in my experience, I've only had young hygienists, and one who became a friend confirmed my experience that many hygienists retire young (she retired in her mid-30s, after having a couple of kids).  I didn't say that there are no older hygienists -- I simply asked if anyone knew of any. 

Heck, the first words in my OP were "I used to think...".  Doesn't that imply that I changed my mind from my original mindset?

My point was that my recent hygienist had some technology that I hadn't seen before, which extended her career.  Where you got my "attitude" is "around here of 'I've never seen it so it must not exist.'" -- that didn't come from my post.

Jun 16 17 02:32 pm Link