Forums > Critique > Photographer or Model

Photographer

Greg Panse

Cypress, California, US

Do you think it's more constructive if a photographer gives you advise or if a model gives you advise. Do you hold someone's opinion in higher regard based on if they're in front of the camera or behind the camera?

Jun 22 17 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I listen to any and all advice, regardless of the source.

Objective observations can come from anybody.

Jun 22 17 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Both.  Especially, if they have images that just draws me in even though I don't know why.

Jun 22 17 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Lindridge

Canterbury, England, United Kingdom

Good and bad advice can come from anyone, so listen to all and decide.  For a photographer, a model can help you understand how they feel on a shoot, what concerns they can have, what they like a photographer to say and do to help them be at their best, tell you what works well and what doesn't, help you appreciate that even though a model may have a great look and appear confident that they like anyone can still feel insecure and need reassurance, and lots more.  A photographer might help you on technique, also have useful advice on working with models, how to organise yourself, how they like to direct poses, and so on. There's so much to potentially learn from both. I've not worked with a MUA so far, but I'd look to learn from them too, because anything I might learn might be useful when working with a less experienced MUA in the future.

Jun 22 17 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I like to get advice from models, because it's generally about how to work with them better. I also like feedback on my directing.

I can't remember good advice from a photographer at the moment. Some friends have tried to change my workflow "for the better", but it never worked out.

Jun 22 17 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

I teach both, as I have extensive experience in both .....

unless you have both, I think one would be missing a huge part of the picture

(pun intended)

Jun 23 17 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

both can be useful.

Jun 27 17 10:08 am Link

Model

Mina Salome

Depends on the person, but I think advice from both groups can be invaluable.  Models and photographers will have slightly different perspectives, and will look for different things.  For example, when I started out modeling, I found photographer advice to be very helpful with assessing the quality of an image, because I didn't necessarily notice color issues, sharpness, lighting issues, etc., as much as someone with a photographic background.

These days, when I critique photos of models, I often notice little details about the model that the photographer wouldn't necessarily notice, because I've spent a lot of time looking for those things in my own modeling.  Things like tension in the hands, small wrinkles in the wardrobe, flyaway hair, jewelry that accidentally gets covered by hair, etc.

Jul 10 17 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'll take advice from anyone whose work I admire.
Regardless of what claims to fame they make, if their work looks like crap the kind intentions only fall on deaf ears.
I think the proof is in the pudding and if their work looks great, I'm more than happy to take a slice of advice from them:)

Jul 11 17 12:45 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Greg Panse wrote:
Do you think it's more constructive if a photographer gives you advise or if a model gives you advise. Do you hold someone's opinion in higher regard based on if they're in front of the camera or behind the camera?

Advice on what? Depends.

Jul 11 17 06:29 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

First of all it would usually have to be someone who I thought understood how I was working and what I'm trying to do. Random models or photographers (like, right here) are usually pretty much useless, although there are exceptions.

Models I'm working with are the most important, they have the best and most informed perspective - the ones who have been clueless seem to actually have to work at it. Fortunately the ones not able to offer helpful advice have been very much in the minority.

Jul 11 17 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Rick Davis Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

You can listen to opinions but photography is an art involving creativity and, because of that, nobody can tell me how to do what I do.  The exception to the rule is if you're trying to figure out exposures, depth of field or other technical issues but composition, how you light a subject, etc. all comes from the passion to create.

Jul 19 17 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Singh Style Studio

Delhi, Delhi, India

All depends ...

Jul 21 17 06:26 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

I pretty much love getting advice and criticism from photographers, as the issues they hate, are the things I will pursue
if they like something too much..it makes me wary

Aug 16 17 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Don't limit your advise acceptance to just photographers and models.  Hear out EVERYONE'S advise... cause listening is FREE!... borat   You'll be suprized just how helpful advise can be from people who aren't even involved in the industry... smile

Aug 16 17 01:53 pm Link

Model

K I C K H A M

I base it more on the quality of advice.

I tend to like model's critiques better, but a lot of the models I talk to have at least some experience on the other side of the camera, and most photographers do not, so that's probably more the reason.

I do take someone's work into account, but honestly, I've gotten advice (small things) from people who don't have very good work, and they still had solid words to say.

Aug 16 17 02:24 pm Link