Forums > Photography Talk > Selling Old Canon Camera.

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Are there any camera stores that buy used Canon cameras? Other than Bestbuy I don't know of any local stores to Buffalo, Ny that sell Canon. In fact I ordered my latest Canon camera at a store that only sells Nikons.

Jul 01 17 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

When you say old
How old do you mean ?
If its really old its resale value is very low
You can sell camera gear at these places
www.keh.com
www.bhphotovideo.com
www.adorama.com

Jul 01 17 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

whether it's film era F-1, a T-90 (one of my all time favorite cameras) or a DSLR you can sell them
on ebay or Craigslist. If it is a film camera, please consider a donation to the local high school.

Jul 01 17 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

It's a 2003 issue SLR. The lens alone should fetch $100 I would hope. I would be content with $120 if I could get that but on CL and letgo I am getting few responses. Various sites tell me its value is maybe $180.

Jul 01 17 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

It's not worth selling.

Jul 01 17 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

What do you mean not worth selling? Keeping it is pointless. And it only loses value with time. I have a better camera on order.

Jul 01 17 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
What do you mean not worth selling? Keeping it is pointless. And it only loses value with time. I have a better camera on order.

It has lost too much value already.

Jul 01 17 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

What model ?
10D ?
It has next to no value these days
$50 maybe or a little bit more
Keeping it  as a back up is best bet
Selling for $69 @ keh.com
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-10d- … black.html

Jul 01 17 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

For a real world ballpark guesstimate on price, go to ebay and search your camera and lens in "Sold Items". This will show what similar items have sold for.

If the lens is Canon EF mount it will still work on their latest cameras. Some EF lenses are pretty poor quality.

You still haven't really said anything other than that you have a camera that says Canon on it. I have a car that says Subaru on it, how much is it worth?

Jul 02 17 09:26 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Shadow Dancer wrote:
For a real world ballpark guesstimate on price, go to ebay and search your camera and lens in "Sold Items". This will show what similar items have sold for.

If the lens is Canon EF mount it will still work on their latest cameras. Some EF lenses are pretty poor quality.

You still haven't really said anything other than that you have a camera that says Canon on it. I have a car that says Subaru on it, how much is it worth?

Haha, yes, totally useless information from the poster!

I have a BMW from 2004, how much do you reckon it's worth?

Jul 02 17 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:

Haha, yes, totally useless information from the poster!

I have a BMW from 2004, how much do you reckon it's worth?

Is it a car or a motorcycle?

Jul 02 17 10:16 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Is it a car or a motorcycle?

I honestly don't know, I know it dates back to 2004, and has the BMW logo on it!

Jul 02 17 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

If you have a whole kit for it - body, lens(es), memory cards, camera bag, books, etc, you might find someone on CL who is looking for an entry-level system. You might get $100 or so.

Jul 02 17 10:18 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Give it to someone just starting out.  You'll feel good about that.

Jul 02 17 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

I honestly don't know, I know it dates back to 2004, and has the BMW logo on it!

I give you one dollah! big_smile

Jul 02 17 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

It's a EOS Canon Digital Rebel XT 350D (Gray). What might it be worth if only to those just shooting the shit?

Jul 02 17 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

It has been my experience consistently that you will get more for a camera and lens if you sell them seperately.

This depends on the lens. If it is a consumer level zoom, Canon or third party, it is good for burning ants. If you donate it to Goodwill they might get $5 for it but it could sit on the shelf for a while. Canon had some fantastic lenses available in 2002, a clean 135 f2L should be worth at least $650.

If it is the older Canon mount it needs to be a prime lens and not a 50mm 1.8 to be worth anything.

No Canon body from that time period is going to be worth much with the exception of the EOS 1v and the EOS 1Ds.
If it is a film Rebel, donate it to a thrift store or smash it on your driveway for a laugh. Very common and nearly worthless.

So, a pretty wide spread. This is why nobody here can really say much unless we have specific information.

Jul 02 17 11:09 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

... I would be content with $120 if I could get that...
...Various sites tell me its value is maybe $180.

You've only posted vague information about the camera and stated it's an SLR, not a DSLR.
Film cameras are being given away all the time.

Even IF the real value is $180, a dealer would only be able to offer you 1/2 that amount (that's if they're being really, really generous) because they'd have to make a profit and it wouldn't be an easy re-sell.  Nobody really invests in old technology, and the prices only continue to go down... rapidly.   There's an extreme risk that if they give you $90 for it today that it' won't even be worth that much tomorrow.

It's not like a car where they only need to mark it up a small percentage to earn a couple grand which would probably be worth their time and investment.

Jul 02 17 11:22 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

It's a EOS Canon Digital Rebel XT 350D (Gray). What might it be worth if only to those just shooting the shit?

Around $55.00 body only, if in good condition and full working order.

If it came with one of those budget EF-S lenses then that's probably good as a doorstop (the lens)

Jul 02 17 11:35 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I give you one dollah! big_smile

Deal! I'll send you my PayPal details.

Jul 02 17 11:37 am Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

donate it to a charity

Jul 02 17 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Deal! I'll send you my PayPal details.

If you sell it for me on London craigslist for $3, I'll give you half. lol

Win/win, I are financial genius.

Jul 02 17 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Around $55.00 body only, if in good condition and full working order.

If it came with one of those budget EF-S lenses then that's probably good as a doorstop (the lens)

This is a good ball park price to start with.

Jul 02 17 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

Are there any camera stores that buy used Canon cameras? Other than Bestbuy I don't know of any local stores to Buffalo, Ny that sell Canon. In fact I ordered my latest Canon camera at a store that only sells Nikons.

Many models are interested in getting used DSLR. Trade yours for modeling session.

Jul 02 17 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

MikeW wrote:

Many models are interested in getting used DSLR. Trade yours for modeling session.

This is true. I know of at least 3 models in my area who are looking specifically for Canon bodies and lenses; usually because they already have some Canon stuff.

Jul 02 17 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

I just assumed everyone assumed it was digital or else I would have mentioned otherwise. I might take $60 for it. I mean I bought it for about $200 within 3 years ago and it has worked perfectly.

Jul 02 17 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Now we know the camera model.
20 questions later we will probably find out which lens.

Jul 02 17 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

I just assumed everyone assumed it was digital or else I would have mentioned otherwise. I might take $60 for it. I mean I bought it for about $200 within 3 years ago and it has worked perfectly.

3 years ago it was 11 years old.

In 2003 the top of the line Canon camera was the 1v, a film camera. B&H still sells that model new, they must of taken on too much inventory.

A used 1v should fetch at least double what your digital rebel is worth.

Jul 02 17 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

3 years ago it was 11 years old.

In 2003 the top of the line Canon camera was the 1v, a film camera. B&H still sells that model new, they must of taken on too much inventory.

A used 1v should fetch at least double what your digital rebel is worth.

I purchased it 3 years ago. I didn't say it was new then. I am just saying what it cost a fairly short time period ago. And it has never faultered. And the lens it has is the basic lens it came with.

Jul 03 17 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

I purchased it 3 years ago. I didn't say it was new then. I am just saying what it cost a fairly short time period ago. And it has never faultered. And the lens it has is the basic lens it came with.

The only thing that matters at this point is what the market will bear for the camera. Ebay sales indicate in the $55-60 range for a nice one. Wear and tear will reduce that somewhat. It is what it is.  I would just put it up on craigslist and move on.

Jul 03 17 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

reference

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/292023481444-0-0/s-l140/p.jpg
Ebay  -  as is
3X CANON EOS REBEL DSLR/Digital Rebel 300D/350D/XTi  bodys --- sold for  $47.00 + shipping

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III Camera Lens (New In White Box) International Model (No Warranty)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MX3CQV8/
                                                                                    $81.00 & FREE Shipping

Jul 04 17 04:34 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Michael Bots wrote:
reference

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/292023481444-0-0/s-l140/p.jpg
Ebay  -  as is
3X CANON EOS REBEL DSLR/Digital Rebel 300D/350D/XTi  bodys --- sold for  $47.00 + shipping

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III Camera Lens (New In White Box) International Model (No Warranty)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MX3CQV8/
                                                                                    $81.00 & FREE Shipping

That is the third version of the lens. The first version was not very good and reviews were poor. The second version was a surprising upgrade with sharper images and IS. The first version is not worth much except as a body cap.

Jul 04 17 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

I managed to get $70 for the camera so I didn't do too bad. Glad it's gone. Have space for the new tech. lol.

Jul 17 17 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

bidewell photography

Terre Haute, Indiana, US

Rebel XT is Out Of Service Life with Canon. Meaning, if anything broke on it, they do not take it in for repair. They are out of parts. So, those comments regarding it not being worth anything are basically correct. Maybe $50. If it has the kit lens 18-55, the lens is worth about $10 on the used market. So, getting $70 for the camera was pretty good for you.

Jul 21 17 04:46 am Link