Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The House Next Door Is Moving!

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm serious.

I live in an old & remodeled Victorian, built in 1890.  The house next door is a Queen Anne Victorian, build in 1894.  It is decrepit.  It's been empty for a dozen years, and it has been deteriorating all that time.  Transients have broken into it, so the owner put up a chain link fence with spikes on the top, and he has boarded up all the ground floor windows.  It was so sad -- this could have been the prettiest house in the city, but goodness, one would need deep pockets to fix it up & rehab it.

It kinda bugged me -- the house is on the state's historical register, meaning that the owner got a big tax break to maintain it, but he hasn't been maintaining it.  I fully expected to come home one day to find that the place collapsed.

But the owner got some money together, and at the end of the month, they are going to pick the house up & move it to a new lot about a mile south of here.  Once there, I'm told it'll get fixed up.  I'm glad about that.

But I'm not sure I'm happy about being next to an empty lot downtown.  I'm told that the chain link fence will be put back in place.  I'm also scared a bit -- that house is only 6-8 feet away from mine.

We'll see...

Sep 14 17 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Oh WOW... read your title... thought that house was on a sink whole and was goin DOWN!  But you're not in Florida... guess you're safe there... lol

Sep 14 17 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Select Models wrote:
Oh WOW... read your title... thought that house was on a sink whole and was goin DOWN!  But you're not in Florida... guess you're safe there... lol

I had the same thought.   big_smile

Sep 14 17 11:26 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I think that the lot next door will not be empty for long.

It cost a lot of money to move a house a mile.

Sep 15 17 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Mr HOGs Poetry

Weaverville, North Carolina, US

The activity with jacking the house up and moving it would be fun to watch. What would scare me is what could be happening next in the lot. 6-8 feet from a construction zone isn't my dream lifestyle.

Sep 15 17 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

That house must've been well built to be in good enough shape to be moved after all those years of neglect.

Sep 15 17 06:20 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Friends had a century old house moved about two miles, with no problems. It was quite a large one as well.  Certainly the people doing the preparation and the actual move are experienced and qualified or the city would never issue them permits to do the move in the first place.

Sep 15 17 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

They just moved 3 homes a few blocks away from that I walk past almost daily.   From what I've seen those folks know what they're doing.

Sep 15 17 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I think that the lot next door will not be empty for long.

Mr HOGs Poetry wrote:
The activity with jacking the house up and moving it would be fun to watch. What would scare me is what could be happening next in the lot. 6-8 feet from a construction zone isn't my dream lifestyle.

Well, the lot the house is on is tiny -- not wide enough to put anything on it.  But the building on the far side of the house is on the same tax lot as the house -- that building is an old & somewhat ugly brick building, probably built sometime between 1935 & 1955.  It's really outdated.  I suspect that the owner will eventually knock it down & erect a new 6-10 story building on the expanded lot.

Construction downtown is everywhere.  The lot behind me used to be a one story office building -- I could sit on my 2nd story deck & watch the Fourth of July fireworks.  But they knocked that building down & put up a 6 story apartment building.  That new building was built right up to the property line with zero clearance -- this was done with my permission.  For ~18 months, I had some scaffolding in my back yard, which allowed them to create the last 6 feet of building.  (Don't worry -- I was compensated -- my satellite dish is on their roof).

I'm a little worried about any construction on the lot of the moving house -- I'm not sure where the property line is, and I have only an 18" alley on the other side of my house.  I need some kind of alley between me & the new building in order to be able to get to my backyard and to wheel my trashcans out.  I hope there won't be a legal battle over that alleyway in the future.

There is a lot of construction in the area, and it's a mixed blessing.  Sure, construction is annoying, but it doesn't last forever.  Meanwhile, there are tons of restaurants, shopping, offices, etc. in a short walking distance -- the streetcar stops at the corner, and emergency vehicles can be here in 3 minutes or less.  Also, it kinda makes my house stand out more.

Sep 15 17 07:47 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Robb Mann wrote:
That house must've been well built to be in good enough shape to be moved after all those years of neglect.

Don't know about that -- the house is kinda funky (in a good way) with obvious additions here & there.  But these guys have been here for a few weeks, and I can see that they are putting up bracing inside the house -- as if they were putting up 2x4 walls in the middle of each room, going from floor to ceiling.  And it's nice to see them pulling all the ivy off the building -- the thing was covered in ivy, so much so that you couldn't see where the windows were.

A few years ago, these same guys moved a much bigger Victorian a few blocks & left it in the back of a parking lot while a new high rise was built next door.  After the high rise as completed, they moved the Victorian back & rehabbed it.  They did a good job.  I have a picture of that house rolling down the street somewhere.

Sep 15 17 07:53 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

It is wise for people that are planning on doing construction, to get a land survey first.  If they don't, then you should before they start construction.  I know that you don't want to pay for a survey because it is they that are doing the work.  However, It is a major headache to deal with when they build something on your property. 

Some states have laws the permit acquired rights to be codified.  Adverse possession type things.  Not only can you acquire land by adverse possession (check with a surveyor in your state- or a lawyer) but you can also (in Pennsylvania anyway) acquire (prescriptive) easements from continued use.  This can get tricky.  In PA , if you have permission to use a passage way, you cannot gain permanent rights.  Only if you do not have permission.  There is also a time frame that comes into play.  Certain things can be established in a year.  Others may take seven to twenty one years.  In PA, it is 21 for a sure thing.

In the course of them moving this house, they made need access to your property.  Extract an easement from them.  In exchange for the temporary use of your property, negotiate a permanent access easement for 36 inches along the lot line on their property.  Or eight to ten feet to get a truck in there.

Sep 15 17 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
It is wise for people that are planning on doing construction, to get a land survey first.  If they don't, then you should before they start construction.  I know that you don't want to pay for a survey because it is they that are doing the work.  However, It is a major headache to deal with when they build something on your property. 

Some states have laws the permit acquired rights to be codified.  Adverse possession type things.  Not only can you acquire land by adverse possession (check with a surveyor in your state- or a lawyer) but you can also (in Pennsylvania anyway) acquire (prescriptive) easements from continued use.  This can get tricky.  In PA , if you have permission to use a passage way, you cannot gain permanent rights.  Only if you do not have permission.  There is also a time frame that comes into play.  Certain things can be established in a year.  Others may take seven to twenty one years.  In PA, it is 21 for a sure thing.

In the course of them moving this house, they made need access to your property.  Extract an easement from them.  In exchange for the temporary use of your property, negotiate a permanent access easement for 36 inches along the lot line on their property.  Or eight to ten feet to get a truck in there.

Yeah, I'm sadly aware about these things, especially adverse possession.  I bought a lot on Lake Oswego, and two different neighbors attempted to sue us for adverse possession of different chunks.  Both lawsuits failed.  In Oregon, the property needed to be adversely possessed for 10 years, and we were able to prove that neither neighbor met that (and other) criteria. 

I have no problem in obtaining a survey, but as soon as I do, I'd have to file an adverse possession lawsuit.  Right now, I can honestly say that I don't know where the property line lies and that I've had use of that side alleyway since I moved in in 2001.  I figure I'd have a good chance at winning an adverse possession lawsuit, but such a suit would permanently sour my relationship with the neighbor, and that's not a good thing, because we have looked out for each other in the past.

In the downtown area, all construction goes through a design review process, where neighbors get to review the building's plans & make comments before building permits are issued.  I figure I'll wait until the neighbors file for the design review & see what's what.  For all I know, they might design a suitable alleyway between our two buildings, so I may not need to file a lawsuit anyway.  We'll see.  And who knows -- this neighbor hasn't moved quickly in the past.

But you've put your finger on my biggest worry.

Sep 15 17 05:08 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

There was a HUGE old house next door to where I grew up.  The original part of the house was built in the 1880's, but it was added on in the 1910's to make it two story with rooms in the attic.  It was also about 6 feet off the ground with rooms underneath, not sure you would call that a basement, it was only dug into the ground 3 feet or so.

The family, who had owned the property for generations, sold it in the early 1970's.  The people who purchased it lived in Houston and used it for a weekend place.  The didn't do much maintenance and by the time they sold the place in the late 1980's, it was looking sad.

The new owner of the property did not want it and advertised locally for offers to purchase and move the house.  A local attorney purchased it and had it moved about 3 miles away.  They moved it all in one piece.  Also, they removed it from between some 200+ year old oak trees where in one area they had less than a foot clearance.

When they went a short distance down the highway, they had to pay a crew to remove the guard rails from the side of the road and then put them back right away after they passed.  The bridge was not wide enough for all the wheels to cross, so they placed some steel beams across the creek on each side of the bridge to drive the wheels across.

The movers were skilled professionals who certainly knew what they were doing and had everything well planned and timed to the minute.  The word around was the move cost $200,000.

Sep 16 17 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

You could hire a photographer to record the whole process.  Then you can sell the "film" for thousands of dollars.  Do you know any photographers?

smile

Sep 16 17 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
But the owner got some money together, and at the end of the month, they are going to pick the house up & move it to a new lot about a mile south of here.  Once there, I'm told it'll get fixed up.  I'm glad about that.

But I'm not sure I'm happy about being next to an empty lot downtown.  I'm told that the chain link fence will be put back in place.  I'm also scared a bit -- that house is only 6-8 feet away from mine.

We'll see...

Better be there that day... just to make sure they take the right house

Sep 16 17 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Better be there that day... just to make sure they take the right house

I'll be here.  There aren't too many outfits that can do this sort of project, and a few years ago, I saw them move a much bigger house over to a nearby parking lot, where it sat for over a year while a high rise was built next door to the original lot.  When the high rise was finished, they moved the old house back to its original location (and fixed it up).  I thought I created a thread here on it, titled something like "Here's something you don't see everyday", but I can't find it.  In it, I posted a picture of the house in transit, in the middle of the road, coming up to that parking lot at a blazing 3 miles per hour.

Those guys have been working on the old house for a few weeks already.  In theory, the impact to my property should be minimal.  There is a gate across our shared alleyway -- that'll have to be removed, and I'm told it'll be replaced immediately after the house leaves.  I also have a tree that hangs over the sidewalk -- they are going to have to trim it back to get the house around it, but that shouldn't be a big deal either.  But that's not to say that I'm not nervous.

Me & my camera will snap some pictures on The Moving Day.  I already have several "before" pictures, in case a lawsuit is possible.  I also have an e-mail from the owner reassuring me that he'll continue to maintain security for the lot & access for my backyard.  Still, we'll see.

Sep 16 17 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

They are getting serious.  The "move" day is 8 days away, and they've been digging underneath the house.  It didn't used to have much of a basement, but now it does, with big metal I-beam cross beams.  I'm told that the front half of the building will be up in the air tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the front yard is down to the dirt (which is a little too bad, because I missed the opportunity to claim some really nice rose bushes.  And sadly, the sidewalk is closed, so I can walk away from that lot, but I have to jaywalk across the street to go the other way.

Sep 21 17 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I've lived here for over 16 years, and the house to be moved has been about 6-8 feet away from my northern wall.  For all this time, I was able to look out of the windows on that side of my house & see this other house.

Today, the front part of this other house is about 5 feet in the air, making it taller.  It is so weird!  I used to be able to look down into a living room window from my kitchen.  Now, that window is above mine.

Note:  this house has been officially  empty for about ten years.  So, there wasn't any kind of a privacy issue.

T-minus 6 days.

Here's an older picture of the house...
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21034708_101410207264024_7636880456680602751_n.jpg?oh=49e0272793323fcc0e512a61f6bdafca&oe=5A456233
... it's more decrepit now, but it could be the prettiest house in the city.  Looks kinda spooky in this picture.

(Please don't use this picture to try to figure out where I live).

Sep 24 17 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

so, I  guess it's different from this  (excellent movie, by the way)
https://lumiere-a.akamaihd.net/v1/images/open-uri20150422-12561-1uvi0ti_281fe89f.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1000%2C1363

Sep 24 17 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Tomorrow (Saturday, September 30th) is the big day! 

It's been very impressive.  The house has been raised ~6 feet and wheels have been placed underneath it.  The house has been cut into two pieces, each of which will be transported separately, to be reassembled at the destination, a mile or two away.

Last Wednesday afternoon, they cut the cable providing Internet access to the local neighborhood.  It took us until today to figure it out & to cobble together a temporary solution.  We expect them to cut the new temporary cable tomorrow morning, but now that we know where to look, it should be easy to fix it again.  I gotta say that Comcast / Xfinity exceeded expectations today (and I used to think they have a bad customer support reputation).

The forecast for tomorrow is rain, so I might not be able to get too many pictures, because I'm a wimp about being outdoors in the rain.  Besides, they are starting at 6:00am, and the sun's not up then yet.

Wish us luck!

Sep 29 17 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pics?

Oct 01 17 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Here's the house -- the image was made a couple of years ago...

https://tinyurl.com/pic-1134-01
When I moved in next door, the house was occupied -- individual rooms were rented to folks for something like $25 a month -- they had to share a kitchen & bathroom (one on each floor).  Even then, the house was suffering.  I tracked down the owner, brought him to my kitchen, and showed him how the siding was falling apart.  I warned him that if he didn't take care of the house, it might just fall down one of these days.  His response?  He evicted all those tenants.

We had security problems over there -- transients would break into the house for shelter.  The owner put the temporary chain link fence around.

But finally, the house is moving to a new lot where it will be rehabbed & fixed up.

Oct 01 17 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Here's the house as it starts on its move...

https://tinyurl.com/pic-1134-02
The movers actually cut the house in half.  That way, they didn't have to rotate the house when it turned through an intersection.  On the left is the front half of the house, and the back end is just coming over the sidewalk onto the street.  The back end leads the way so that it can be placed in the back of its new lot first.

Interestingly, the wheels beneath each house half don't turn.  To "steer", the movers had to jack the house up & turn the wheels manually.

Oct 01 17 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Here's a snapshot of the old lot, made this morning...

https://tinyurl.com/pic-1134-03
That Victorian used to be 5-8 feet away from my house.  Now there is a good sized open space.  Already the light in my dining room & kitchen is different.

Oct 01 17 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

E H

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oct 01 17 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Very cool. Its quite amazing that they can do something like that... and do it without the house falling apart during the process.

Oct 01 17 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
Very cool. Its quite amazing that they can do something like that... and do it without the house falling apart during the process.

Yeah -- that house had been neglected for a dozen years, and the 3 porches were all rotting.  I would have guessed that the house would have crumbled before it moved a foot.

Hats off to the guys who were brave enough to dig under the house, put in some timber platforms, and lift the house above their heads.  I would have been extremely nervous about that.

I remember a while ago, some folks moved a huge Victorian carriage house that was maybe 3 times bigger than this one.  It was interesting because the move was temporary -- they were moving it out of the way of the construction of a new high rise in a neighboring lot.  They moved the carriage house up near here, stowed it in the back of a parking lot, and when the high rise was finished, they moved it back.  The difference -- the carriage house really didn't have to turn a corner to get to their parking spot, and my neighbor had to turn several corners (and cross over a freeway) -- hence, they cut my neighboring house in half.

Oct 01 17 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Okay, the house has been gone for about a month now, and after looking out my north facing windows at it for >15 years, it is taking a little time for me to get used to it not being there.  Right now, there's just a lot filled with rubble -- I expect that the lot will be cleaned up by the end of the year.

One benefit is that I am now getting lovely northern light coming in from the windows on that side of the house.  Across the empty lot is a smallish apartment building, only five stories tall (with the lowest story being half-buried in the ground.  Those poor folks are getting bright sunlight blasting in their windows in the late afternoon -- some have taken to putting up blankets over their windows to block out the light.

I have only one south facing window (most of my southern facade is blocked by the nine story building that is only two feet away.  On rare occasions, the window gets lovely light (an 18+ example) and such is the configuration that this light doesn't bother me at all.

It's interesting -- if I were a voyeur, I would be fascinated by that apartment building -- five floors of maybe three apartments per floor, and I can see into those apartments.  If I were a painter, I'd be inspired to paint a picture of the side of the building with all those windows, and each window would be a little vignette of modern life.  A different person than me would be looking in on those people's lives often.  Yes, I suppose that those people can look in to me, but my windows don't look in on the areas where I spend the most time, and I'm pretty sure that if my room is dark, I'd be invisible.  I gotta admit that I am tempted...

Nov 02 17 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

I use to have a 100' lot with a small house to my north.  A couple years ago it was torn down and this 70' wide 3 story monster house was built.  It sucks.  Then last year a medium size house on my south was razed and a larger house replaced it.  I now free like I'm in a canyon.  At least my new neighbors are decent people.

Nov 02 17 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

rxz wrote:
I use to have a 100' lot with a small house to my north.  A couple years ago it was torn down and this 70' wide 3 story monster house was built.  It sucks.  Then last year a medium size house on my south was razed and a larger house replaced it.  I now free like I'm in a canyon.  At least my new neighbors are decent people.

Yeah -- the population is pretty dense around here.  It is, after all, downtown.  The advantages are that we are close to everything and that we can walk everywhere.  The disadvantage is that it's crowded.  I might have to build a dream house on a lake somewhere.

Nov 03 17 07:24 am Link