Forums > Model Colloquy > The Truth about Tattoos

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My mistake.  Although, I could have sworn that I quoted someone saying something that is now different and doesn't fit what I quoted anymore, making me look like an idiot.  It's weird, sort of like that time I asked a photographer in California why he kept quoting himself in his own thread (which he did, several times, inexplicably), and then his posts magically completely disappeared, making me look like an idiot for asking him that.

Feb 19 18 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

The MM Browse function treats "Tattoos: N/A" as the same as "Tattoos: None"

So your search returns four categories in this regards:
a) The model is lying about her tattoos (that's your assumption);
b) The model never bothered to answer that question (N/A);
c) The model established her account before that was even a question and has not updated it since (N/A); or
d) The model used to have no tattoos, answered truthfully, but then got one or more tattoos without remembering she had once, long ago, said, truthfully, she had no tattoos.

While good practice with keeping your profile up to date, not everyone does this. My own says "35+ years experience"... oops! It is now 40 years. While 40 is definitely 35+, sort of misleads the reader, too. Especially valuable for model to keep their profile stats and images up to date, not all do this.

Feb 20 18 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Digital Czar

Oak Park, Illinois, US

seacoastlight wrote:
Ok, MM photographer for 7 plus years here. I've been incredibly fortunate in meeting some of the most amazing models on MM. But I have a problem. Personally, I prefer any model I work with to have no tattoos and few if any piercings. Just my preference. On more than one occasion, including tonight, I've set to Browse models for an upcoming shoot. I add "No Tattoos" as one of my presets and get a nice long list of potential models to colaborate with that say they have No TATTOOS. I see their initial avatar and say "wow" she's perfect for my idea. Great eyes, beautiful body, awesome personality and then I click on her portfolio and HOLY $#^&* she has maybe 4, 6, 10 tats all over her body. Tonight I said, forget it, I'll look some other time. Could you imagine if a model showed up to a shoot with me and although I said I did have experience,  I had little or shot with junk gear. Ok, I'm sorry, shouldn't use my first post to vent, but it takes time for me to look someone to work with and this bothers me. LOL sort of.

Lets look at this from another perspective. Lots of photographers and models are here to do what they do for their own interests, which in the models world is to make some money. Nothing wrong  with that. However a model mis-representing what they are isn't really "professional" or anywhere near it! Same, to me, are the models who post "no experience" and yet want paid assignments  only. What happened to paying your dues.
To my main point though would be if I, as a working  photographer decide to use a MM  model  who  has said "no tattoos or piercings" and I have presented his/her photos to a real  client, not just doing photos to do photos or experiment, and the  client approves said model and the day of the shoot comes, model shows up at studio/location with tats or piercings.

What position does that put the photographer and his/her  client in?

They might have to shoot, due to time  constraints, with  said model and then retouch the  body art at some expense, which should not be necessary. Real working photographers have had clients where similar things have happened and the  client will dump on the photographer, "You're a PRO, you should just KNOW these things. Retouching is out of  your  fee!" plus the  client may never work  with the photographer again! Not right, but  it happens! Further, why should the client have to deal with any models personal need for body art? Even if they're doing personal work, it should be  disclosed.

Just my >$.02

Feb 21 18 01:27 pm Link

Model

Vi Synster

Jesup, Georgia, US

I'd just like to chime in with a few things here...

1. If you don't like tattoos or don't like photoing models with tattoos, that is fine, BUT LEAVE IT AT "Hey, not for me", you don't need to go on a full-blown rant or call us "disgusting" or crap like that. I might not like YOUR aesthetic, but I'm not going to go on a full blown rant about "OMG THIS IS SO UGLY" (or something like that)
2. Body modification has been around forever, including some form of tattoos. Tattoo reasons are as infinite as there are many tattoos (memorials, something pretty you like, celebrity you like, survival from a disease, etc.)
3. THEIR body, THEIR rules, THEIR aesthetic.
4. With the basically "miracle cosmetics" they have today, it's quite easy to "mask" tattoos under great concealers. If a model "lies" about a casting call, they're likely thinking "I can just easily cover up with this great concealer I have" so photographers please don't jump the gun on "SHE IS LYING!". Message them, ask them if they can cover up the tattoos or wear clothing in such a way that you don't have to worry about ink showing.
5. Tattoos in some cases can help people feel "more normal", espicially if they lost pigmentation or lost their nipple due to breast cancer or breast surgery (reduction/augmentation) that ended up with them losing their nipple in the process.

Apr 07 18 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

In my opinion a portfolio is much more objective in terms of evaluating a potential model than anything she writes in her portfolio (or what a third party feels for that matter).  I've seen many models misrepresent their age, and of course many claim to be very experienced, even though they've only done a handful of shoots. 

I can't imagine hiring a model without first looking at her portfolio, and if a model's portfolio doesn't tell me if she's suitable or not, I typically pass.

Apr 07 18 11:30 am Link

Photographer

-WB-

Maassluis, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

udor wrote:
I am still waiting  for "THE TRUTH ABOUT TATTOOS" as the title suggested to be revealed... evilgrin

The truth is you can't wash them of with soap.

So.
Mystery solved ;-)

Apr 08 18 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Eternal Photos

Belleville, Ontario, Canada

udor wrote:

I am still waiting  for "THE TRUTH ABOUT TATTOOS" as the title suggested to be revealed... evilgrin

The title is "TRUTH ABOUT TATTOOS" because he wants models to post the "TRUTH ABOUT (Their) TATTOOS"  not post No tattoos when they have some.  Seems clear to me and appropriately titled, but I can see how one would read it as though there is some secret truth about tattoos he is going to reveal.

Apr 09 18 02:15 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

seacoastlight wrote:
Ok, MM photographer for 7 plus years here. I've been incredibly fortunate in meeting some of the most amazing models on MM. But I have a problem. Personally, I prefer any model I work with to have no tattoos and few if any piercings. Just my preference. On more than one occasion, including tonight, I've set to Browse models for an upcoming shoot. I add "No Tattoos" as one of my presets and get a nice long list of potential models to colaborate with that say they have No TATTOOS. I see their initial avatar and say "wow" she's perfect for my idea. Great eyes, beautiful body, awesome personality and then I click on her portfolio and HOLY $#^&* she has maybe 4, 6, 10 tats all over her body. Tonight I said, forget it, I'll look some other time. Could you imagine if a model showed up to a shoot with me and although I said I did have experience,  I had little or shot with junk gear. Ok, I'm sorry, shouldn't use my first post to vent, but it takes time for me to look someone to work with and this bothers me. LOL sort of.

Hi,

I think a vent is okay because its even harder to do communication on this site now and a deal breaker is a deal breaker. If someone shows up with anything that is a deal breaker before your shoot an you weren't able to verify it first then no Bueno.

Jen

Apr 17 18 09:54 am Link

Photographer

JohnnyK

Westlake Village, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
I seriously can't imagine you're sending booking offers to models without actually looking at their portfolio... it takes 30 seconds to open up the full portfolio and see they have something you don't want and click away.

Its no different than liking someones face but not their body, or liking their avatar but not any of their other images, liking their look but realizing they only have one of them, realizing they can't pose well, reading their profile and finding something that doesnt jive with you, etc etc etc. It's not killing anybody.

Yes, I do look at the model's portfolio to check for tattoos, but often it takes quite a few images before I find the model's tats; appears quite a few purposely make them difficult to find.

Oh, and it takes a few minutes, not 30 seconds (maybe I'm slow).

Apr 20 18 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

I always tell models that if they misrepresent themselves intentionally I will cancel the shoot as soon as possible. In the two cases I actually meet the models at the shoot who misrepresented themselves I immediately cancelled without paying them.
I always pay BEFORE we start shooting but after I have meet with them and agreed upon what we are shooting.

May 10 18 06:46 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

The models who willfully misrepresent their age - height - weight - tattoos - post old photos and disable links to credited work are counting on photographers to not turn them away at the door.   I'm sure that this strategy pays off 90% of the time.

May 10 18 08:55 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I generally look for a sans-tattoo model as well as it being competitive art from another artist, along with the possibility of copyright infringement of the tattoo artist if commercially used.  Courts seem to grant the copyright to the tattoo artist and not the subject wearing it unless from their "No copyright needed flash book."  Commercial use would require a couple of releases (i.e. Model and tattoo artist both.).

Imho, the artwork should belong to the model to do with as they want, but courts seem to say otherwise if it is an original which leads me to veer away from getting into that mess unless they have a release from the tattoo artist.

Option would be to cover with Dermablend ($$$) and deduct the model's fee and shift it to the MUAH person's time and their cost of Dermablend for coverage.  That or position them to avoid capturing it.

May 11 18 07:48 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

It is an important decision to have tattoos....Simply since, so far, they are permanent...I wonder what would happen if one day removing them would be painless and scar less....The magic would be gone I guess!!..
Personally, I think tattoos can be beautiful when done by true artist and the patterns are somewhat related in style or theme and done by the same artist if possible.
I am not a great fan of tattoos reminding me of the magnets and stickers found on refrigerators... Not to mention the cupids and roses etc...

May 11 18 09:08 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Once, I even Photoshop ( not very well) tattoos on a model!!

May 11 18 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

If original art and not flash, copyright is held by artist, not the tattoed person. One well-known case involved Mike Tyson's tattoo being knocked off for use in an idiotic movie.

Maybe subject needs to have the artist transfer copyright and all other IP rights to the subject.

May 11 18 11:11 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I like the idea that an original tattoo is unique and be considered as a work of art..... But  who is to say it when it is
a work of art.....Or each time the tattoo is being copied the artist receive a royalty....Any way who owns the tattoo?

May 11 18 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

May 22 18 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

ImageCRAFTbyAleks

Albany, New York, US

Just my two cents about tattoos whether or not they are correctly or honestly stated in their profiles. I have shot a few models with tattoos but am VERY selective and will ask the model to take selfies of them if they are overly evident in their portfolio pics.

These are the issues I confront with tattoos and body modification:

1. Ill-conceived body art that forces the eye to follow the mural rather the shape of the physique and may not be applied with any aesthetic, (not saying personal to the model), rhyme or reason.
2. Destroys shade and light patterns on the covered parts of the body.
3. Detracts from other elements of the image if the photographer is coaxing the viewer to try and move from one element of the photo to another. The tattoo or body mod becomes the riveting focus in all too many cases.
4. In the same vein as above, the tattoo or body mod is the focal point and the shoot is like taking pictures of artwork hung in a museum.
5. Themes are limited because the tattoo is it's own statement: rebel, self-determined, outsider, renegade, edgy, etc. It looks down the image and model without offering diversity of expressive reads. For instance: a bride with tattoo will have a more difficult if not impossible time to portray innocence because a tattoo still maintains a connotation of adventure and worldliness... if not a bit of a wild side.
6. I don't want my photograph's audience gazing at a picture that's supposed to be worth a thousand words and being forced to read some trite inspirational drivel in Latin, English, Spanish, or Esperanza tattooed across a chest wreath or within a scroll unfurled under an armpit down to the hip bone which looks like a burn scar from the front. (Yes, that was judgmental when I called it trite and drivel... but it's my opinion that I haven't seen great moving literature inked onto someone's ribs to date. It's usually the equivalent of a motivational poster statement found in the lunch room of a corporate office complex.)
7.It is a free country and you can do whatever you want with your body. There will be someone else to take your place that fits what I require were it not for the tats or body mod. And bear in mind when that model's wardrobe loses its interest or fad appeal, it can be tossed away and new photos can be taken with something more relevant that speaks to the whims and fashion statements today.

I you're considering having one, go for it, but only after you remember that Harvest Gold refrigerators, acid wash jeans, mullets, gold chains on hairy chests, and crushed velvet tuxedos with contrast piping and lapels were all "it" statements at one time as well.

May 23 18 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

You know, we can sit here and talk about copyrights with regards to the tattoo art itself, and who owns it, we can talk about how it's the persons right to have them, which is true.  But let's face it, tattoos in mainstream and the majority of modeling, they just aren't desirable.  We can always add them post production or use temporary tattoos that wash off, we can always use body paint or other temporary forms of body art to get what we want IF we want them.  But if they are there it's a pain to get rid of them.  It's like painting over a painting, kind of a pain.  Don't get me wrong here, I"m not all anti tattoo because I know you guys get your panties in a bunch really easily, if you want them fine, I'm not gonna sit here and judge you or anything like that.  Worst thing is I'm going to wonder why you got them.  Big deal.  Big deal if somebody doesn't like them.  You're not getting them for me now are you?  Nope.  Anyways, said my piece and that's that.  Bitch, complain, whine, agree, disagree, have at it.  I've got my big boy pants on quote me, mis quote me, white knight me, go for it.

Jul 03 18 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:
You know, we can sit here and talk about copyrights with regards to the tattoo art itself, and who owns it, we can talk about how it's the persons right to have them, which is true.  But let's face it, tattoos in mainstream and the majority of modeling, they just aren't desirable.  We can always add them post production or use temporary tattoos that wash off, we can always use body paint or other temporary forms of body art to get what we want IF we want them.  But if they are there it's a pain to get rid of them.  It's like painting over a painting, kind of a pain.  Don't get me wrong here, I"m not all anti tattoo because I know you guys get your panties in a bunch really easily, if you want them fine, I'm not gonna sit here and judge you or anything like that.  Worst thing is I'm going to wonder why you got them.  Big deal.  Big deal if somebody doesn't like them.  You're not getting them for me now are you?  Nope.  Anyways, said my piece and that's that.  Bitch, complain, whine, agree, disagree, have at it.  I've got my big boy pants on quote me, mis quote me, white knight me, go for it.

+1... wouldn't bitch, moan, complaint or mis-quote you... actually in agreement.  If a casting director, agent or client has the option of booking someone with no tattoos VS someone with an abundance of tattoos... they'll be going the 'no tattoos route' every time.  Tattoos tell a visual story that many just don't care to listen to... wink

Jul 03 18 09:01 am Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

udor wrote:

"You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall -- you need me on that wall.

We use words like "honor," "code," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think you're entitled to!"

Jul 03 18 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
The MM Browse function treats "Tattoos: N/A" as the same as "Tattoos: None"

So your search returns four categories in this regards:
a) The model is lying about her tattoos (that's your assumption);
b) The model never bothered to answer that question (N/A);
c) The model established her account before that was even a question and has not updated it since (N/A); or
d) The model used to have no tattoos, answered truthfully, but then got one or more tattoos without remembering she had once, long ago, said, truthfully, she had no tattoos.

While good practice with keeping your profile up to date, not everyone does this. My own says "35+ years experience"... oops! It is now 40 years. While 40 is definitely 35+, sort of misleads the reader, too. Especially valuable for model to keep their profile stats and images up to date, not all do this.

It's obvious that a lot of members don't proofread their profiles. I see models with 38 inch waists and 28 inch busts. Models who leave their hip measurement blank - is this an oversight or intentional? Events and pregnancies with month but no year. Age different in stats vs profile. And so forth.

Jul 03 18 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
I seriously can't imagine you're sending booking offers to models without actually looking at their portfolio... it takes 30 seconds to open up the full portfolio and see they have something you don't want and click away.

It's no different than liking someone's face but not their body, or liking their avatar but not any of their other images, liking their look but realizing they only have one of them, realizing they can't pose well, reading their profile and finding something that doesn't jive with you, etc etc etc. It's not killing anybody.

This, I have photographed models, male and female where the tattoo has worked as an important part of their persona.  OTOH I booked a traveling model, looked at her port, she had and said "a few".  When we met here she was tatted to the max.  I grinned and bore it, did the shoot.

Jul 14 18 08:42 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm fine with tattoos as long as they don't show.

Jul 16 18 05:58 am Link

Model

Ernest Gromov

London, England, United Kingdom

Tattoos just started becoming the 'in' thing in modeling when I was starting out about 9 years ago, but I had a feeling that it's just a phase that will pass and was forward-thinking professional (non-modeling) career-wise, so I never got one. It's 2018 and they still seem to be very much in, but I somehow do not feel any regret whatsoever as I am now doing my Masters and getting into a very conservative line of work where there is no place for tattoos smile

Jul 16 18 09:04 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

karljohnston wrote:
I think it's a bit of a pain with search filters on all these portfolio sites. Virtually useless on ig equally as it is on this one   . I cannot think of one site that would offer better alternatives or solutions to correctly filter that out.

Kinda like the models who imply that they do TF and then at the last moment ask how much is the pay or as you read their profile you get down to the end after 3 to 5 paragraphs and she says I only do paid work. Why are they advertising TF.

Jul 16 18 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Are these indifferences the fault of the member or of the sites' interface?

Upon initial creation of a model profile here if the box(s) for Tattoos are left unchecked (skipped over) does the default choice then become No Tattoos?

I don't think there is anything in place which forces someone to provide an answer to any of the multiple choice questions, although I could be wrong.

Jul 16 18 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ernest Gromov wrote:
Tattoos just started becoming the 'in' thing in modeling when I was starting out about 9 years ago, but I had a feeling that it's just a phase that will pass and was forward-thinking professional (non-modeling) career-wise, so I never got one. It's 2018 and they still seem to be very much in, but I somehow do not feel any regret whatsoever as I am now doing my Masters and getting into a very conservative line of work where there is no place for tattoos smile

A lot of guys just want to shoot naked girls and don't care if they have tats or not, as long as the girl is naked.
Occasional professionally done ad shots with tattooed models are intentionally used because they can also grab the attention of persons with tattoos; they would identify, and tattooed people buy clothes and things too.

If one has an actual good shoot idea, a tattoo, no matter how small, will upstage everything else because it will always draw the eye to it and detract attention from the photos true intension.

If for some reason a tattoo is actually needed and the model does not have one, a fake tat could always be put on.

And most important, no one should get a tat because it's an in thing. All "in" things will become "not in anymore" things sooner or later. Save the in things for shoes or skinny suits and Apple watches, you could always get rid of those when they are no longer in.

Jul 16 18 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Juan Antonio

Houston, Texas, US

Personally, I don't like tattoos on my models, my clients don't like tattoos on my models, my hair and MUAs don't like tattoos on my models, nor do my retouchers like tattoos on my models.  Models who sport tattoos have every right to do so, however, in spite of them being a "thing" nowadays, I believe tattoos limit the amount of work models get.  I certainly will not call back a model who shows up for a casting sporting tattoos and will never invite her to a casting again.

I hope models will begin to think twice about getting inked and choose what's can get them the most work.

Aug 07 18 11:18 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

crx studios wrote:
This intent of this thread was clearly a polite request for models to accurately communicate whether or not they have tattoos.

No one is attacking anyone's right to have as many tattoos as they want, and certainly no one is telling models what they can and can't do to their bodies.

At the end of the day - it’s no different than any other changes you choose to make to your appearance.

Some photographers will say “Love your look” and others will say “Not my style”.

Old thread and replying.

I agree with including it in the narrative. I had a pretty unpleasant reaction from a shoot request cold call I made. The photographer really unloaded some junk that clearly had been festering in his mind!

Sep 04 18 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Lisa Everhart wrote:
It is unfortunate when a member here does not take their membership with some seriousness and a sense of responsibility. This attitude demeans the site as well as the profession.

I totally agree.  Accuracy when if comes to measurements or listed information is critical for all of us.  We shouldn't list things we don't do, or where we are, so that somebody on the other side of the camera, model or photographer can take the person seriously from the get go.  I think all of us need to do this, not just models, not just photographers.  It's part of being a professional I believe.  Or at least having some integrity.

Sep 04 18 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

yes...99 percent of the time I do not care about ink or no ink..I'm mostly doing a portraits thing so y'are as y'are

but that 1 percent.. I'll sort for 'no tattoos and up come a bunch of profiles...all listed as 'no tattoos'... and I CAN SEE YER DANG TATTOOS on your little profile pix... I can see ithem

come on

so far I have refrained from writing to the models and politely informing them that they have inadvertently left the 'tattoos' box unchecked

so far

Sep 05 18 10:03 am Link

Photographer

JOSEPH ROLF

North Miami, Florida, US

If Tattoos could talk, what would they say? Tonight at 8.

It's too bad the search perameters aren't flawless, and it's too bad we grow older and people drive dangerously, but life is.
I can't imagine a scenario in which a tattoo would ruin my shoot or my life or my visions; and perfection in art can be dangerous when it hampers your ability to adapt.

If a tattoo is extremely important, so much so that it will ruin everything, I would clarify on an individual basis and not rely on any search perameters, thats like saying.... "But I have the bodypaint ready, I see you ticked the bodypaint perameter so Im ready to go." Holding dripping brushes of neon paint in a blacklit room.

I get it, and that is an exaggeration, but tattoos are so common that I would expect people to have them or not remember to mention especially under normal shooting circumstances that weren't representing a shoot of cave people or whenever pre tattood ages were. haha.

Leaving the house now to get another tattoo, this of my grandma's house.

Great discussion,

Best,

Ted Meyer

Sep 05 18 10:29 am Link