Model

Miss 5 11

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

He was $75 short when it came time to pay my fee.

I couldn't take my modelling back, could I?

What to do?

Apr 05 18 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hold back on signing any release or agreement. Tell him without proper payment he has no right to utilize the image or even maintain them in any format (deleted them). If the photographer is not offering proper payment, then his rights for the images are null and void. He would loose in court.

Apr 05 18 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

This is terrible!
I would never book a model if I couldn't pay her fee.
Let your friends know about him.

Apr 05 18 12:22 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Get a Paypal account or something similar and have them complete the transaction right in front of you from their phone.  They can pay on Paypal using a credit card (Paypal takes a small fee).  Then get a signed invoice in case they charge it back.... because the integrity of anyone who plays the "I'm short on cash" game is suspect.

Apr 05 18 12:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Did he offer to send the balance?  If it was an honest mistake, I would expect that.

Next time, unfortunately the will probably be another next time, offer to hold the SD cards until he pays up.

Apr 05 18 01:05 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dorola wrote:
Hold back on signing any release or agreement. Tell him without proper payment he has no right to utilize the image or even maintain them in any format (deleted them). If the photographer is not offering proper payment, then his rights for the images are null and void. He would loose in court.

Is that australian law?

Apr 05 18 06:01 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MoRina wrote:
Get a Paypal account or something similar and have them complete the transaction right in front of you from their phone.  They can pay on Paypal using a credit card (Paypal takes a small fee).  Then get a signed invoice in case they charge it back.... because the integrity of anyone who plays the "I'm short on cash" game is suspect.

This.

A lot of photographers will balk at the request for pay up-front, but you can try it (just be prepared for a fuckton of blowback roll)

You can also try a non-confrontational "So just to confirm before we get started, we're shooting XYZ content, from now until 00:00 o'clock in exchange for ABC dollars?" when you arrive to a shoot. Let them know you're just making sure you're both on the same page, you got all the details correct, whatever sounds friendly but still shows them that you intend to do and get exactly what was agreed upon, no more no less. It wont stop someone who intended to shortchange you all along, but it might dissuade someone who thinks they might be able to pull one over on you at the last minute.

Apr 05 18 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Dorola wrote:

Laura UnBound wrote:
Is that australian law?

No, it is not Australian Law.

In Australia, the copyright for the work the OP has performed vests automatically with the photographer.

Apr 08 18 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

From your profile:

I don't sign release forms but you may upload anything you like onto MM.
Use portraits, fashion & bikini shots anywhere.

How does that work in a case like this?

Apr 08 18 08:20 am Link

Photographer

DespayreFX

Delta, British Columbia, Canada

Mark Salo wrote:
From your profile:

"I don't sign release forms but you may upload anything you like onto MM.
Use portraits, fashion & bikini shots anywhere."

How does that work in a case like this?

Good question. Without a release, I can't use the images for much at all. Why would I pay for that (I'm sure lots of ppl are doing portfolio work that could be ok though)?

In my mind, I'm paying for modelling and a release to use my photography. Not signing a release, for me personally, is a deal-breaker. This model looks great, but I would have to pass based on that.

Apr 08 18 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I would be so embarrassed to not have the money agreed upon at the end of the shoot.

Do not sign the model release until paid.
A quick drive to an ATM.
Paypal over a personal check, for sure. Business check, maybe?
I liked the idea of holding the memory card until payment in full is rendered. But I'd want something more of physical value, perhaps the camera battery, too.
Also, a discussion about an appropriate late payment fee.

Apr 08 18 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Rob Photosby wrote:
In Australia, the copyright for the work the OP has performed vests automatically with the photographer.

In the USA it is not a question of copyright, it's a issue of the model release allowing the photographer to use the image as the model has released their privacy rights. Copyright here means no one else can publish or profit from the image without permission (license) of the copyright holder.

Apr 08 18 10:03 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

I hope that you did not sign a release? Let you friends know what NICE<tong in cheek Now about him. Plus let him know (If you did not sign a release) That you will take him to small claims court for non payment, If you do go to court make sure that you can prove that you do your  work for pay.

Apr 08 18 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rob Photosby wrote:

Dorola wrote:

What you have to look at is the contract which was in place at the time. In Common Law, both side of the contract must be fulfilled. That mean the service must be adequately provided and payment made in the agreed amount and tender (you can't substitute chickens and eggs of equal value). If either one of these is not satisfied then the contract is null and void. In this case it means that the photographer has not compensated the model and therefore forfeits his right to use her likeness. Therefore, the claim by the photographer of copyright is invalid (and can be considered thieft). Legally, he has no right to use the images. Should the photographer post or publish them, the model can sue the photographer for more than the $75. In most British based legal systems the Common Law is based on fair practices. Quebec and France call their system Civil Law, but for the most part are similar. Imagine you go to buy a water heater for your house and you are $75 short. What do you think is going to happen? The situation with the model is no different. If you go to a shopping mall and start shooting photos inside, you as the photographer, legally don't own the copyright and can not commercially use the photos. You are on private property and have no rights. If the property manager gives you permission you are good to go. The property manager can ask you the usage of the images and charge you a fee for you to have the RIGHT to photograph on their property. I've gone through this scenario myself. Although I am not a lawyer, I do work for one and I have been councilled critically, what is legal for the imagery we use in court.

I got deeply involved in the copyright issue last year. I did a shoot with a model last year and it was not going well. There was something going on in her head, that she did feel the spirit, to do the shoot as she suggested. With a concern for her safety, I killed the shoot and gave her full fee. After, I sent her samples of a couple photos where she appeared to have herself together (these were not even nudes). She demanded all the photos including the raws, so she could do what she wanted with them. She threatened legal action (which I told her to go ahead with). Because I paid her full rate, she had no claim against me. I decided that I would not use the photos as I did not want anyone to think that I endorsed her. Out of almost 600 model shoots in the past few years, this is the only issue I have had, so I am pretty happy with models.  The overriding point here is PAY YOUR MODELS IN FULL.

As photographers, we need to smarten up and respect other stakeholders in the visual imaging process. It is very tiring for everyone else to hear photographers talking about copyright like it was Devine Right. Look at Google Maps. They have to blur out every face on people and licence plates on cars. It is illegal to take a photo for commercial use of the Effile Tower at night with the lights on. In Romainia, you can not take street photos, with people, unless you have the permission of every person. In most countries, there is a level of expectation of privacy, even in public. Commercial shots where other people are identifiable, need to have permission and/or compensation. The days of photographers taking any kind of photos they want and claiming copyright to do whatever are gone. If you don't respect all the stakeholder you will spend your time in court and loose.

Apr 09 18 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Dorola wrote:
The days of photographers taking any kind of photos they want and claiming copyright to do whatever are gone. If you don't respect all the stakeholder you will spend your time in court and loose.

I will not attempt to speak to Canadian law, but your conflating of copyright and usage does not hold water with anything I have ever read. Here is the definition of copyright: "the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same.
"he issued a writ for breach of copyright"

Now, whether or not the copyright holder can in actuality make full and unrestricted *use* of their creation is governed by other additional laws and regulations, as per this example from California .http://corporate.findlaw.com/litigation-disputes/practitioner-s-guide-to-california-right-of-publicity-law.html

Copyright is a principle of ownership and exclusivity, and failure to pay a model does not void the copyright or transfer it to another entity (such as the model). The copyright holder can still enforce action against anyone ELSE who would "print, publish, perform", etc. Copyright *by itself* does not establish permission to do anything at any time with a person's likeness.

BTW, at least in the US, whether you paid your model or not, she would have had no claim to demand your raw files. What she could do would be to prevent you from using the images in certain ways, but she could not usurp your other rights as the copyright holder.

Apr 09 18 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Eye of the World wrote:
I will not attempt to speak to Canadian law, but your conflating of copyright and usage does not hold water with anything I have ever read. Here is the definition of copyright: "the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same.
"he issued a writ for breach of copyright"

Now, whether or not the copyright holder can in actuality make full and unrestricted *use* of their creation is governed by other additional laws and regulations, as per this example from California .http://corporate.findlaw.com/litigation-disputes/practitioner-s-guide-to-california-right-of-publicity-law.html

Copyright is a principle of ownership and exclusivity, and failure to pay a model does not void the copyright or transfer it to another entity (such as the model). The copyright holder can still enforce action against anyone ELSE who would "print, publish, perform", etc. Copyright *by itself* does not establish permission to do anything at any time with a person's likeness.

BTW, at least in the US, whether you paid your model or not, she would have had no claim to demand your raw files. What she could do would be to prevent you from using the images in certain ways, but she could not usurp your other rights as the copyright holder.

Contract law over rides copyright law. If you have not paid for the service, you are in breach of the contract and have no rights. Try stiffing someone and see how you do in court. As for shooting on private property, that property is the copyright of the property owner. Unless you aquire the permission of the property owner, you took the photo illegally and have no copyright. Rather that dispute with me, go and do either of these things if you feel certain and report back how much it cost you. You have to respect that the model has the copyright for her likeness, just like the property owner does for their property. It is worce in other countries. A few years back, I was in the Sinai Desert and an Egyptian intelegence agent put a loaded machine gun in my face and took my camera away. Extreme, we can say, but obviously, he had no respect for my copyright.

Apr 10 18 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Conlon

Methuen, Massachusetts, US

Take one of his lens he gets it back when you get paid

Apr 10 18 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Vector One Photography wrote:
In the USA it is not a question of copyright, it's a issue of the model release allowing the photographer to use the image as the model has released their privacy rights. Copyright here means no one else can publish or profit from the image without permission (license) of the copyright holder.

In Australia, there is no general right of privacy as you seem to have in the US, and the OP is in Australia, so the question of usage comes down to who owns the copyright.

Apr 10 18 06:36 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

The photographer owns the copyright regardless.  This is simple breach of contract.

The lack of payment to the model does not impact the copyright at all, nor should it.

Apr 10 18 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Sablesword

Gurnee, Illinois, US

I use "tabletop escrow": The money and the model release form are on a table, and the model fills out and signs the model release before the photoshoot starts. After the photoshoot ends, the model picks up the money and I pick up the model release.

Apr 11 18 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

OP doesn't sign release forms she says on her profile, so all the conversation around usage and withholding model release is meaningless...the photographer has the copyright but probably doesn't know or care what that even means. 

Photographer that stiffed her was clearly a chump for a couple reasons - one, he booked a model that would not release images (meaning they are not salable except to her) and two - he did not have the willingness/ability to pay the model her fee. To me, that has to be the ultimate chump GWC move of all.

Of course, there may be another side to the story (session went long, disagreement about whether chair time for makeup is part of the session, etc)

If he didn't pay at the session, he's going to stiff you. I'd take it as a $75.00 lesson and move on. I'd invoice him on the off chance he would do the right thing, then just let it go until I did my taxes and chalk it up in the "business losses/bad debt" column. If you don't have bookkeeping software to invoice, generate a paypal invoice from his contact info. 

After that? Move on.  Don't work with him again.

Apr 12 18 03:27 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

I won't weigh in on whether the photographer is a pro or not, because I don't know if releases in Australia are different than in other parts of the world. It may not be the same deal breaker as it is here. She does have some nice port images and verified credits from photographers who have nice ports and this would lead into a debate about what a pro photographer actually is. No.

Insisting that the photographer's property be held until he pays may be a one way ticket to a theft/ robbery charge, depending on the local laws, as well as Australian laws. It certainly doesn't look good for a model to be holding obvious property of the photographer, without much of a way to prove that he owes her anything. I really wouldn't suggest trying something like that.

Some people are assholes and sometimes we don't know who is an asshole until they do something that outs them as being an asshole. I don't know whether small claims are different in Australia, but $75 isn't worth suing over and trying to collect on the judgement. Getting a theft charge probably isn't worth it either. The only thing that can really be done is to never work with the photographer again and let other local models know not to work with the photographer either. Even then, that photographer may do just fine, despite bad reviews (I have stories. I won't tell them here, but I have stories.)

This really ends up being a "Chalk it up to experience and walk away" situation. It's better to let it go than to let it rent space in your head. The photographer isn't going to pay for that either.

Apr 12 18 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

As a photographer I give the whole fee in advance.  I get the release signed after the shoot.  Some may consider that as the reverse order but it has always worked for me.

May 12 18 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

DespayreFX wrote:

Good question. Without a release, I can't use the images for much at all. Why would I pay for that (I'm sure lots of ppl are doing portfolio work that could be ok though)?

In my mind, I'm paying for modelling and a release to use my photography. Not signing a release, for me personally, is a deal-breaker. This model looks great, but I would have to pass based on that.

But in this case the model has stated up front that she will sign no release.  If that's the deal the photographer accepted, then that's the deal; he has no right to complain if she doesn't sign a release.  Another example of why it's critically important to make sure all terms of the deal are [b} explicitly [/b] agreed to in writing before the shoot begins.

As to portfolio work, I normally get a release or at minimum a usage agreement spelling out what uses (if any) may be made of the resulting photographs by either party.

All IMHO as always, of course.

May 12 18 07:56 pm Link

Model

Miss 5 11

There's a new way ahead.

https://talentfind.wordpress.com/

May 23 18 07:24 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:
There's a new way ahead.

https://talentfind.wordpress.com/

That's not a new way. It's a site of a few blog posts. Send the photographer an invoice and ask him when is he going to pay it. Tell him you'll wait a while but will have to charge interest. Beyond that, anything else adds up to a waste of your time.

I have had clients owe me money for photography but they have always paid. Some clients pay in advance. One mm retouching client did the cheque is in the mail over and over., but that's about it.

In arranging payment there are polite ways to get what you want when you do the job. "I am looking forward to this--I can take credit cards on my phone when I arrive, cash as they say is king. If they reply "cash": "Good, a lot of photographers have it in an envelope for me when I arrive."

Building the fulfillment of your expectations in another's mind is art that is hard for some to master. Good luck. I have yet to look at your photos. 5 feet 11 does make me curious.

May 23 18 09:42 am Link

Model

Miss 5 11

The issue of release forms, a popular one on the forum, has again emerged even though my original post was about a photographer shortchanging me.

Let me explain my side of this additional issue as it's obviously important to so many.

Simply put I don't sign release forms because I don't want nude photos of me showing my identity spread around the internet or social media.

HOWEVER, using anything on a MM portfolio is automatically acceptable.

AND anonymous nude images may be used ANYWHERE if there is no shot of my face next to the nudes from the same shoot. People can tell who a girl is that way.

I prefer to permit specific usage of specific images and reserve approval for further distribution. No blanket releases.

In today's climate of rapid dispersion of nude images, the model has to retain the right to have images taken down and the absence of a release is the only basis of control she has. That and proof of age as child pornography charges are severe and sometimes we can look underage in some photos.

I maintain contact with all my photographers and they seek permission for further use of my image.  It's actually good form to maintain a relationship with models like Jock Sturges does and is an example of the new respect we are all developing toward women in the media and workplace.

May 24 18 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:
Simply put I don't sign release forms because I don't want nude photos of me showing my identity spread around the internet or social media.

AND anonymous nude images may be used ANYWHERE if there is no shot of my face next to the nudes from the same shoot. People can tell who a girl is that way.

If the photographer understands this, she/he will have no problem with a limited release that spells this out. I would prefer to have this spelled out in writing.

Miss 5 11 wrote:
I prefer to permit specific usage of specific images and reserve approval for further distribution. No blanket releases.
I maintain contact with all my photographers and they seek permission for further use of my image.  It's actually good form to maintain a relationship with models like Jock Sturges does and is an example of the new respect we are all developing toward women in the media and workplace.

I would not pay for a photo shoot with this restriction.
YMMV

May 24 18 09:56 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:
In today's climate of rapid dispersion of nude images, the model has to retain the right to have images taken down and the absence of a release is the only basis of control she has. That and proof of age as child pornography charges are severe sometimes we can look underage in some photos.

This sounds like the kind of agreement that a "You get to see me naked" model would have with a "Guy with a camera" photographer.  I personally won't do a TF or paying shoot without a full model release.  If someone is paying me, then it's whatever you want.   Most serious photographers are doing shoots to add to their body of work and really don't want to worry about hearing from a model years later who just got religion or is marrying a guy who wants to erase their modeling career and wants all their photos deleted. 

Also, you can't imagine that the photos that you have posted on your MM profile can't end up all over the internet.  MM has tens of thousands of active members and a few of them are not going to respect privacy or copyrights.  It's not that difficult to snatch a photo off of MM and post it someplace else.  For example, years ago, I posted a nude male/female photo on my MM portfolio.  I took it down after a few weeks (too many male models were messaging me asking to be set up with a similar shoot).  MM is the only place that I posted it, but I've seen that photo on a bunch of different sites.  It's been reblogged on Tumblr thousands of times. 

And Jock Sturges, seriously?

May 24 18 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:
...I prefer to permit specific usage of specific images and reserve approval for further distribution. No blanket releases.

... the model has to retain the right to have images taken down and the absence of a release is the only basis of control she has...

I maintain contact with all my photographers and they seek permission for further use of my image....

I cannot imagine agreeing to terms which effectively give you permanent and unlimited censorship and other authority over the photos. Your terms are also not realistic in light of fact that shooter has no control once images are propagated by any method including piracy.

May 24 18 04:30 pm Link

Model

TEGAN

Courtice, Ontario, Canada

MN Photography wrote:
This sounds like the kind of agreement that a "You get to see me naked" model would have with a "Guy with a camera" photographer.  I personally won't do a TF or paying shoot without a full model release.  If someone is paying me, then it's whatever you want.   Most serious photographers are doing shoots to add to their body of work and really don't want to worry about hearing from a model years later who just got religion or is marrying a guy who wants to erase their modeling career and wants all their photos deleted. 

Also, you can't imagine that the photos that you have posted on your MM profile can't end up all over the internet.  MM has tens of thousands of active members and a few of them are not going to respect privacy or copyrights.  It's not that difficult to snatch a photo off of MM and post it someplace else.  For example, years ago, I posted a nude male/female photo on my MM portfolio.  I took it down after a few weeks (too many male models were messaging me asking to be set up with a similar shoot).  MM is the only place that I posted it, but I've seen that photo on a bunch of different sites.  It's been reblogged on Tumblr thousands of times. 

And Jock Sturges, seriously?

I tend to agree with this- the images, once posted on the internet, are probably beyond anyone's reasonable control, regardless of the intentions and motivations of the model or photographer. Images can simply be reposted all over the place by anyone once on the internet. Whenever I do a shoot I always have this in the forefront of my mind, that once it's out there, it's out there, and it's beyond anyone's reasonable control. I don't shoot content that I am not comfortable resurfacing in the future for the very reasons that the OP is concerned with. It's much easier than regrets down the road or trying to control what I cannot.

May 24 18 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:

I maintain contact with all my photographers and they seek permission for further use of my image.

Are photographers there that hard-up to agree to this nonsense?  So, they pay you to model, but, you get to say where/what they can post their images they paid for?  What a bunch of suckers.

May 24 18 07:29 pm Link

Model

Miss 5 11

Hey look girls, the men are all upset. It can't be easy for them losing grip on all that power they've had for so long. Things are changing boys. Update your Weinstein manners. We don't belong to you because you pay us.

May 25 18 12:54 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:
We don't belong to you because you pay us.

But the images do, or should.  I, like others, would balk at this limited release type of agreement if I were paying a Model for their services.

If You don't want the content out there don't shoot it.  It's really quite simple.

May 25 18 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:
Hey look girls, the men are all upset. It can't be easy for them losing grip on all that power they've had for so long. Things are changing boys. Update your Weinstein manners. We don't belong to you because you pay us.

What the hell does Weinstein and child pornography have to do with any of this?

At any rate, I see you just updated your profile to no nudes and hid your nude albums.  Maybe that's for the best.

May 25 18 11:17 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Miss 5'11":

If you successfully run your your business per the conditions that you have, that is great.  borat

We have the option of working with you or not.  You get to make the same choices with us.  You also get to define what you consider to be a successful venture.

May 25 18 11:29 am Link

Photographer

JordanK

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Black Z Eddie wrote:
What the hell does Weinstein and child pornography have to do with any of this?

At any rate, I see you just updated your profile to no nudes and hid your nude albums.  Maybe that's for the best.

Quoted for truth.

So much WTF here. The 'togs here are like scumbag Weinstein because unlike GWC we want to actually display our work and not just shoot nude girls? No "real photographer" would agree to those crazy terms of not being able to use the pictures you were hired for. It has NOTHING to do with models belonging to photographers (nobody even thought that, you said it!) it has to due with that fact that is LITERALLY your job. Pose for pictures.

That's like going through the drive-thru window of a fast food place and then being told "Wait! You can't take the food off the premises. Go park and eat it inside. Also we can take it back at any moment!"

May 25 18 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:

You can make this about gender if you wish but fact is no professional female photographer would accept these terms either.
I know my former female photography teacher would laugh her head off at your postings

May 25 18 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Miss 5 11 wrote:
He was $75 short when it came time to pay my fee.

I couldn't take my modelling back, could I?

What to do?

Situations like this really sucks.  You should be paid at the rate that you had set forward and he agreed too, plain and simple.  What sucks is like you said, can't take your modeling back.  What to do though?  Do you make him delete the images?  Can you force him too?  No, I wouldn't recommend doing that yourself, never start something physical.  Is it worth your time to take him to court?  I don't know, is it worth incurring the court costs and time to do so?  That's something you have to answer.  Well, I'm sorry if I didn't clear anything up, but at least you know that somebody understands the predicament you're in.  Good luck.

May 25 18 01:53 pm Link

Model

Miss 5 11

Black Z Eddie wrote:

No soup for you

May 28 18 05:24 pm Link