Forums > General Industry > RANT!!!! Since when did curvy=obese?

Model

io

New York, New York, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
Io keep in mind that ethnicity, age, and alot of other factors determine "obese"...  For instance - if you're in say Huntington Beach Cali for instance, some might say obese...  If you're Atlanta Georgia - some might say just right...  If your audience isn't feeling you then simply deal with the ones that do.....    WORD!

Rest assured I keep this in-mind, I define obesity by AMA standards, not just by what some people think looks fat.  And being that I live in GA, you gotta be pretty large for most people to see you as obese.  Ethnicity only determines what one culture considers too big or too small, it does not impact what the medical community defines as obese.  Personally, I think even an overweight woman can be quite physically attractive if she's healthy and well-proportioned.

Aug 31 05 03:19 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

A latina from LA thinks curvy is fat..  Wow..  The end is near!!! HAA!  tongue

LOL I was thinking the same thing

Aug 31 05 03:20 pm Link

Model

Marllee

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Shyly wrote:
Curvy became synonymous with fat when fat became a four letter word.  Personally, I prefer fat to euphemisms that are meant to be kind, but are really just condescending.  Stuff that.  Fat is an adjective, no more or less.  It's no worse than describing someone as tall, short, thin, or purple polka dotted.  It's just a word.  Get over it, people.

You wouldn't happen to be a Marilyn Wann fan would you?

Aug 31 05 03:21 pm Link

Model

Leeinda

Guntersville, Alabama, US

This question has been burning for sometime in a lot of people. I am 38-29-37, and 132lbs or so, and all i have heard is plus size. I am a size 9/10. A lot of people say i need to lose weight but really who sets the standards to who can be sexy??? I mean curvy may in fact be right for me...but dang if it means fat i dont know if i wanna be...lol

~Lee

Aug 31 05 04:44 pm Link

Model

bebewood

Los Angeles, California, US

angelavasquez wrote:

I agree with you on that one. Cutlure does identify with whats beautiful. I heard a while back that Brasilian Model Gisele Bundchen took a trip to the amazon to visit this village, The village chief said that she was very ugly and it would be hard for her to find a man if she lived in the village.....And here shes considered beautiful and a top model.....Go figure!!! big_smile

Ciao
Angela
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

thats because in brazil, big breasts are considered ugly. This is changing now though, thanks to Giselle. THANKS FOR PROMOTING PLASTIC SURGERY! WE REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

Aug 31 05 05:06 pm Link

Model

bebewood

I'm taking my race off my profile this very moment

I have no idea what you mean by that, but I am not from LA, i just live there.

Aug 31 05 05:09 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

The world is insain. Based on looks and impressions and things to proclaim what is trendy and what isn't. Someone like Oi I beleive is absolutly beautiful Worth falling all over my self to admire. And while slimmer women are pretty.. I don't find them as attractive as someone with a 'fuller figure' or 'curves'. Everyone defines things by their way of thinking.

Like the africa comment. Women in africa that are what we call 'obese' are the most beautiful creatures in the eyes of men there. THEY want the larger women over someone who is slimmer. It's the culture there.

Our culture is so self obssed with it's image that the moment the F word creeps in to our mind we try to find a way to avoid saying it. To ignore it..because if we claim it.. we are assossated with ugly, nasty, dirty and other things as well as Un-healthy.

I am PROUD of my body, weight and size. I stay healthy by eating fresh foods and fruits. And staying fit. I have no other choice normaly because I am a stage actress by choice and to sing and dance under a hot spot light i have to be healthy and in shape. I've tried for years to honestly shed weight and its a most imposable task for me. I've been at the same weight sence my freshman year of high school. It's just something without medical help I can't do. And I don't want to go the medical rout because thats a dangerous route too many are chosing for vanity reasons already without trying to be healthy first.

Aug 31 05 06:13 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Marllee wrote:
You wouldn't happen to be a Marilyn Wann fan would you?

Heck yeah!

Aug 31 05 06:59 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

bebewood wrote:

this is why i NEVER want to be called a woman. i want to be a girl forever. The word woman is so taboo, so ugly, so disgusting nowadays. It reminds me of cellulite, of obesity, of anger, and of sagging.. Who wants to be like that! If that's a real woman, i am more than happy being a "little girl" or even a "little boy"

This paragraph is almost word for word a quote from a book (yes, I forgot which one, but it was def. legit...)about the attitude most common in women with eating disorders.

Aug 31 05 07:10 pm Link

Model

The Crimson Kitty

Hackensack, New Jersey, US

You said it Lexi!

Honestly I am curvy at 36-30-37, I have a perfect hourglass figure. I'm a size 10 now but I used to weigh close to 200 pounds and wore an 16.

I really work hard to lose weight and am an extremely healthly eater. To tell me that  to Giselle, people are starting to realize that big boobs are ugly is absolutely ridiculous. I have big beautiful breasts and i'm damn proud of them. I have plenty of photographers that are willing to work with me and my curvy ass shape.

Damn when did conversations about curves turn into a political discussion?

Model

The Crimson Kitty

You said it Lexi!

Honestly I am curvy at 36-30-37, I have a perfect hourglass figure. I'm a size 10 now but I used to weigh close to 200 pounds and wore an 16.

I really work hard to lose weight and am an extremely healthly eater. To tell me that thanks to Giselle, people are starting to realize that big boobs are ugly is absolutely ridiculous. I have big beautiful breasts and i'm damn proud of them. I have plenty of photographers that are willing to work with me and my curvy ass shape.

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

theda wrote:
I agree. Curvy implies multiple curves, not just one round ball of person.

Indeed! Well put. I've shot curvey petite models and curvy plus size models. To me, no difference - I want them to just look the best they can when the film is developed (or dig is edited). Tim

Aug 31 05 07:12 pm Link

Model

The Crimson Kitty

Tim Baker wrote:

Indeed! Well put. I've shot curvey petite models and curvy plus size models. To me, no difference - I want them to just look the best they can when the film is developed (or dig is edited). Tim

Absolutely! It's all about the end result. A great shot can consist of a size 2 model or a size 12 model.

Aug 31 05 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:

hmmm sounds like someone should have worded that a little different. That comes across pretty fucked up if you ask me. Given the fact that you're black I would hope you would watch your words a little better. I'm not trying to start any shit but bro you sure where pushing the fuck out of crossing the line deal.

I think I have offended someone..  And for that I apologize...

Aug 31 05 07:17 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

There are two other words I would like to discuss: zaftig and rubenesque. I had a photographer once describe me as rubenesque...I am a size 8! and 5'7". I felt like saying, Have you ever actually seen a Rubens painting?

Zaftig is a good word....it means juicy. People don't use it so much anymore, but I have been called that several times as well. I don't mind being zaftig...but I don't think that photographers should throw the word rubenesque around without looking at the paintings. (slightly off topic, but still...)
I have a 10"+ difference between my hips and waist. I also have an 'awa' (award winning ass) as I have taken to calling it since a photo of it won a showcase.

I am afraid to say I am curvy because of the way it has changed in tone as well. People have most often told me I have a figure like Marilyn Monroe...she was a size 14, but sizes were smaller then.

Aug 31 05 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Black T Photo

Kenosha, Wisconsin, US

Shyly wrote:
Curvy became synonymous with fat when fat became a four letter word.  Personally, I prefer fat to euphemisms that are meant to be kind, but are really just condescending.  Stuff that.  Fat is an adjective, no more or less.  It's no worse than describing someone as tall, short, thin, or purple polka dotted.  It's just a word.  Get over it, people.

Amen. Thanks for saving me some typing.

- Oz

Aug 31 05 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:
BING BING BING BING    You just won the $10.....errr  $5 prize... (tax and gas prices ya know)       smile

oops, from watching the news the prize might be dwindling to $4... big_smile ... sad

I had some deep, insightful words to type here... but I talked myself in a circle and just deleted it.

Aug 31 05 07:43 pm Link

Model

Kharizma

Concord, California, US

I don't know..but I met a girl on here that is a larger plus model that kicked ass.   Her personality, her professionalism and her creativity is amazing. I just have to say go girl..I am not all about looking at someones size and judging. Maybe because I am from the sf bay area, and honey there are so many people of all shapes and sizes.  I am like if someone wants to model let them.
Cause honey there is a market for BBWS and a lot of men love more junk in the trunk.

Aug 31 05 07:46 pm Link

Model

Kharizma

Concord, California, US

right on daniel..lol..I was wondering when the sexy bbw men would come out. Hey how come we don't have plus size men...I want to see some hot plus size men sporting the runways;)

Aug 31 05 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Kharizma wrote:
I don't know..but I met a girl on here that is a larger plus model that kicked ass.   Her personality, her professionalism and her creativity is amazing. I just have to say go girl..I am not all about looking at someones size and judging. Maybe because I am from the sf bay area, and honey there are so many people of all shapes and sizes.  I am like if someone wants to model let them.
Cause honey there is a market for BBWS and a lot of men love more junk in the trunk.

yeah, but it's a niche market... I think most people around these boards like to quixotically but their heads against the prevalent tide of mainstream commercial fashion and beauty modeling.

Aug 31 05 07:49 pm Link

Model

bebewood

Lapis wrote:

This paragraph is almost word for word a quote from a book (yes, I forgot which one, but it was def. legit...)about the attitude most common in women with eating disorders.

i know its  a reason why people develop EDs (THATS RIGHT ITS NOT RUNWAY MODELS THAT CAUSE EDS), but i never had and never will have an ED. i want to be beautiful, not emaciated with bags under my eyes and rough skin, thinning hair, and premature wrinkles. I just don't have the genetics to have the drive to starve myself

Aug 31 05 08:58 pm Link

Model

bebewood

AgentN wrote:
You said it Lexi!

I really work hard to lose weight and am an extremely healthly eater. To tell me that  to Giselle, people are starting to realize that big boobs are ugly is absolutely ridiculous. I have big beautiful breasts and i'm damn proud of them. I have plenty of photographers that are willing to work with me and my curvy ass shape.

no offense but the "perfect" hourglass figure is a .7 waist to hip ratio so you would have to have a ten inch difference between your waist and hips. For example 40-30-40 would be a "perfect hourglass"

Aug 31 05 09:00 pm Link

Model

bebewood

AgentN wrote:
You said it Lexi!

peopel ARENT starting to realize it. If you actually READ what i said i said that people IN BRAZIL do not like big boobs, but are STARTING to LIKE them because of Giselle.

I dont see why you are getting so defensive though, big boobs are in in america. Dont be selfish, let girls with little tits have at least ONE country, which is slowly fading away.

Aug 31 05 09:02 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Hey, to me, big boobs vs. small boobs., it doesn't matter, it's the shape and how they are proportioned to the body that counts!  I would look off with 34A breasts (I'm a 34DD) because my hips are large in comparison to my waist.  On the other hand, it always looks odd to me when naturally skinny girls get big boob jobs...ack.

Aug 31 05 09:47 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

io wrote:

Rest assured I keep this in-mind, I define obesity by AMA standards, not just by what some people think looks fat.  And being that I live in GA, you gotta be pretty large for most people to see you as obese.  Ethnicity only determines what one culture considers too big or too small, it does not impact what the medical community defines as obese.  Personally, I think even an overweight woman can be quite physically attractive if she's healthy and well-proportioned.

Thanks, You saved me a lot of typing. Obesity is a medical term with specific criteria. Fat, skinny, pretty, ugly, etc are in the eyes of the beholders.

I'm both curvy and emmaciated. Go me.

Aug 31 05 11:46 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:

Thanks, You saved me a lot of typing. Obesity is a medical term with specific criteria. Fat, skinny, pretty, ugly, etc are in the eyes of the beholders.

I'm both curvy and emmaciated. Go me.

Hey, it happens!!! I have big hips and boobs with a tiny ass...ugh...go me...yay. sad

Aug 31 05 11:48 pm Link

Model

Angelina

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

i that too. my body is very cruve and i get the same reation. i'm 34-25-37 . and i'm 119 lbs

Aug 31 05 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Wanna see mad curvy, check out Robyn in my portfolio. Total knockout. 5' 10", 36-28-43.

Sep 01 05 12:45 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

bebewood wrote:

thats because in brazil, big breasts are considered ugly. This is changing now though, thanks to Giselle. THANKS FOR PROMOTING PLASTIC SURGERY! WE REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

I personally dont see anything wrong with plastic surgery. Its something that one does to make them feel better....its a "to each is own" matter, It would be foolish to judge someone just cause he/she has had plastic surgery.....

Sep 01 05 01:02 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

As a fat man, I find this thread offensive for a number of reasons.  True, I’m not a model, but I sympathize with what "curvy" women go through.

You know what gets me?  There are so many degrees of intolerance.  Anyone can make fun of, torment and generally mistreat fat people without thought, care or repercussion.  No one cares if a fat person is mercilessly teased as a child – even if the child is fat by no fault of his/her own.  However, if someone refers to an African American child using the "n" word, all hell breaks loose.  Both people are being judged by external appearance, but social reaction to the offense is completely different.

It's also okay for the "thin people" of the world to assume that fat people are lazy and good for nothing but being the butt/punch line of your incessant jokes.  To anyone maintaining that attitude, all I have to say is – to hell with you.

To the original poster: Why do you care if the model in question wishes to call herself curvy?  Why does it bother you so much?  She knows she's fat – the rest of the world knows she's fat – but why is it up to you to shatter her attempt to forge a positive image for herself?  Is it a personal crusade?  Are you that insecure?  Is it your inner fat person yearning to break free?  You’re on the opposite side of the spectrum to the model you mentioned, so why not keep your narrow-minded opinions to yourself?

To the rest of you: If you really want to call me fat, do it to my face and see what happens.  At least have the courage to be direct.  Better yet, why not make an attempt to open your mind – you may be surprised at what you find.

Sep 01 05 02:01 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Wow, William. This thread was not like that at all. Why so defensive? I am extremely skinny and get teased for it all the time - it can hurt but I don't flip out over it. Who was teasing whom?

Sep 01 05 02:05 am Link

Model

bebewood

Jim Warren wrote:
Wanna see mad curvy, check out Robyn in my portfolio. Total knockout. 5' 10", 36-28-43.

is that really what people find attractive? those are impossible measurements. i feel...like dying

Sep 01 05 02:16 am Link

Model

bebewood

angelavasquez wrote:

I personally dont see anything wrong with plastic surgery. Its something that one does to make them feel better....its a "to each is own" matter, It would be foolish to judge someone just cause he/she has had plastic surgery.....

yeah and to make natural look ugly

so long as people keep having plastic surgery the standard of beauty will become more and more impossible

we will get to the point where no one is capable of being naturally beautiful

Sep 01 05 02:18 am Link

Model

bebewood

William Kious wrote:
As a fat man, I find this thread offensive for a number of reasons.  True, I’m not a model, but I sympathize with what "curvy" women go through.

You know what gets me?  There are so many degrees of intolerance.  Anyone can make fun of, torment and generally mistreat fat people without thought, care or repercussion.  No one cares if a fat person is mercilessly teased as a child – even if the child is fat by no fault of his/her own.  However, if someone refers to an African American child using the "n" word, all hell breaks loose.  Both people are being judged by external appearance, but social reaction to the offense is completely different.

It's also okay for the "thin people" of the world to assume that fat people are lazy and good for nothing but being the butt/punch line of your incessant jokes.  To anyone maintaining that attitude, all I have to say is – to hell with you.

To the original poster: Why do you care if the model in question wishes to call herself curvy?  Why does it bother you so much?  She knows she's fat – the rest of the world knows she's fat – but why is it up to you to shatter her attempt to forge a positive image for herself?  Is it a personal crusade?  Are you that insecure?  Is it your inner fat person yearning to break free?  You’re on the opposite side of the spectrum to the model you mentioned, so why not keep your narrow-minded opinions to yourself?

To the rest of you: If you really want to call me fat, do it to my face and see what happens.  At least have the courage to be direct.  Better yet, why not make an attempt to open your mind – you may be surprised at what you find.

the thing is they shouldnt call themselves curvy, they should call themselves for what they are. If they are 50-49-50, then they are not by any means curvy. They misuse the word.

would YOU like being called curvy? of course not, men are not curvy, and not all big women are curvy either.

and the difference between insulting a fat person and saying a racial slur is that everyone has control over their weight. no one has control over their race. No one can become obese if you dont live the lifestyle, you may be born with the genes, but if you eat right and are not immobile you will not ever become obese. medical problems are solved with pills, there is no excuse for someone to be morbidly obese. Obesity is something that can kill you. Being black, hispanic, etc, isnt and therefore shouldnt be seen as a taboo.

and people would tell you to your face but they assume you know the obvious,. now if you were 400 lbs and walking around saying OMG IM SO THIN I NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT then a ton of people will be telling you to your face that you were fat

Sep 01 05 02:23 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Lora wrote:
Wow, William. This thread was not like that at all. Why so defensive? I am extremely skinny and get teased for it all the time - it can hurt but I don't flip out over it. Who was teasing whom?

Of course it's "like that".  Whether or not you (or others) choose to acknowledge it, discrimination against fat people is very real.  Judgments are made based on someone’s physical appearance and nothing else.

Sep 01 05 02:30 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

William Kious wrote:
Of course it's "like that".  Whether or not you (or others) choose to acknowledge it, discrimination against fat people is very real.  Judgments are made based on someone’s physical appearance and nothing else.

Boo hoo for you for being fat. No one else has issues with their weight, right? You poor baby. Grow up.

People like you make the word 'fat' bad for YOURSELF when you get so defensive about it. No one ever attacked your weight. You just chimed in with the poor me crap.

Sep 01 05 02:33 am Link

Photographer

CO_Charlie

Denver, Colorado, US

Jim Warren wrote:

Robyn looks great - you should check out Carrie in mine 5'8"
52-42-60 - a truly awesome model IMO and i know a few guys here who have worked with her.

In fact i only ever work with plus size now - never any drama, they've always turned up (which includes flying in from other states) and work a solid 4 - 5 days before flying back.

Sep 01 05 02:55 am Link

Model

bebewood

William Kious wrote:

you have issues with your weight
i have issues with my face (which i have NO CONTROL OVER btw)
joe has issues with his teeth
tina has issues with her feet
etc.
we all get teased about it
everyone has issues
everyone gets teased. youre lucky you can at least do something about your problem. Not all of us are so lucky

Sep 01 05 02:58 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

bebewood wrote:
the thing is they shouldnt call themselves curvy, they should call themselves for what they are. If they are 50-49-50, then they are not by any means curvy. They misuse the word.

I see the word "professional" abused on this website every day.

bebewood wrote:
would YOU like being called curvy? of course not, men are not curvy, and not all big women are curvy either.

Call me curvy, I don't care.  I've been called worse.  I welcome curvy.

bebewood wrote:
and the difference between insulting a fat person and saying a racial slur is that everyone has control over their weight. no one has control over their race. No one can become obese if you dont live the lifestyle, you may be born with the genes, but if you eat right and are not immobile you will not ever become obese. medical problems are solved with pills, there is no excuse for someone to be morbidly obese. Obesity is something that can kill you. Being black, hispanic, etc, isnt and therefore shouldnt be seen as a taboo.

You are equating being fat to a taboo?  Wow.  No offense, but saying something like that makes you a bigot.  It's okay to be a certain race, but are you insinuating that it's morally wrong to be fat?  Wow. 

I was born with a condition that prohibits my body from processing carbohydrates correctly.  I was in and out of hospitals during much of my childhood.  I was thin because of malnutrition.  Am I obese now?  Yes.  But for reasons you don't know about - or care to understand.  To you, I'm just an obese "fat guy" who can't control his own lifestyle.

Is there a magic pill that can fix my problem?  No.  I wish there were.  The only thing I can do is consume all protein - which I did for a few years - but it was hell on my kidneys (not to mention the fact that I can't afford to buy steak, chicken and fish all of the time - I have a family to think about.)  As I am now, I probably consume fewer calories in a day than you do.

I've said it before - and I'm sure I will say it again - generalizations are a hallmark of a closed mind.

bebewood wrote:
and people would tell you to your face but they assume you know the obvious,. now if you were 400 lbs and walking around saying OMG IM SO THIN I NEED TO GAIN WEIGHT then a ton of people will be telling you to your face that you were fat

No, people don't say it to my face because they are cowards.  How many models have you talked to that are 100 pounds and carry on-and-on about being fat?  Talk about incorrect usage of a word.  Semantics, people ... semantics.

Just for the record - if we are going to argue about a word's meaning - let's be accurate.  "Curvy" denotes any deviation from a straight line.  By that accepted definition, a fat woman is, indeed, curvy.  Curvaceous is having a "full" or "voluptuous" figure.  Again, a fat woman satisfies the definition.  This whole argument is referencing an inference of the meaning of the word "curvy" - an inference that has no root in the word's etymology. 

Show me a dictionary definition of the word curvy that includes a woman's dimensions and I will eat crow.

Sep 01 05 03:16 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Lora wrote:
Boo hoo for you for being fat. No one else has issues with their weight, right? You poor baby. Grow up.

People like you make the word 'fat' bad for YOURSELF when you get so defensive about it. No one ever attacked your weight. You just chimed in with the poor me crap.

True, no one attacked my weight - but have you read some of the posts to this thread?  How many generalizations do you see?  Does it even matter to you?  Probably not.

I'm not being defensive.  I'm okay with who I am.  I sympathize with anyone who has issues with his/her weight and/or appearance. 

Then again, I'm not the one making comments about the 15 pound weight difference in my portfolio shots.  Do you realize how utterly silly that sounds? 

I have issues with the bigotry expressed in a thread like this - not with how much any individual person weighs.

Sep 01 05 03:29 am Link