Forums > General Industry > RANT!!!! Since when did curvy=obese?

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

William Kious wrote:
True, no one attacked my weight - but have you read some of the posts to this thread?  How many generalizations do you see?  Does it even matter to you?  Probably not.

I'm not being defensive.  I'm okay with who I am.  I sympathize with anyone who has issues with his/her weight and/or appearance. 

Then again, I'm not the one making comments about the 15 pound weight difference in my portfolio shots.  Do you realize how utterly silly that sounds? 

I have issues with the bigotry expressed in a thread like this - not with how much any individual person weighs.

Here's why I post my weight - I AM A MODEL and my weight does change. 15 pounds on my frame is a HUGE difference. That's all. Still sound "utterly silly"?

How much of your life are you going to spend defending your weight? I hope not a lot because it is a waste of your time. Anyone who judges you because of your weight is ignorant. Plain and simple. You cannot make someone all of a sudden have sympathy for you because of your situation. They don't care.

Do you not see the other side of the spectrum? Models are anorexic. Models don't eat. blah blah. You know exactly what I mean. I deal with ignorance like that almost Daily but I don't dwell on it like yourself.

My boyfriend is more than 30 pounds overweight and I love every inch of him more than anything. But I swear, if he has to remind me of his weight one more time and boo hoo over not being 'thin enough' for me, I'll shoot him.

Suck it up. You only bring more attention to yourself.

Sep 01 05 03:43 am Link

Model

LORA

Sep 01 05 03:44 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Lora wrote:
How much of your life are you going to spend defending your weight? I hope not a lot because it is a waste of your time. Anyone who judges you because of your weight is ignorant. Plain and simple. You cannot make someone all of a sudden have sympathy for you because of your situation. They don't care.

This is the first time I've even mentioned my weight in probably 5 years - and I only did so to make a point.  I don't give a flying rat's ass about sympathy.  I'm not looking for it - I don't want it. 

I feel like I waste my life even trying to respond to a thread with any kind of valid point.

Lora wrote:
Do you not see the other side of the spectrum? Models are anorexic. Models don't eat. blah blah. You know exactly what I mean. I deal with ignorance like that almost Daily but I don't dwell on it like yourself.

Of course I see the "other side of the spectrum", and I think it's very sad that 100 pound women feel the need to dwell on weight issues.  Read my last post. 

The only thing I dwell on is my family and my hobbies.  Just because I express an opinion in ONE thread - and share a few bits about my life - does not make me obsessed.

Lora wrote:
My boyfriend is more than 30 pounds overweight and I love every inch of him more than anything. But I swear, if he has to remind me of his weight one more time and boo hoo over not being 'thin enough' for me, I'll shoot him.

You know, you obsessing about your weight has probably rubbed off on him.  He sees you worrying about 15 pounds and he can't help but wonder if you are judging him by your personal standard.  Just a thought.

Sep 01 05 03:59 am Link

Model

LORA

Did I ever say I worry about 15 pounds? It's part of my modeling profile, where I think I am required to give the best representation of myself. Where are you misunderstanding that? As far as my boyfriend goes, I never once ever talked about his or my weight. Only when he says something about his own do I tell him that it doesn't bother me - BECAUSE IT DOESN'T. Don't assume.

You say you are ok with who you are but the way you went off on a tangent a while ago says something totally different. You are the one with the insecurities.

You obviously didn't even read the whole thread before you felt like attacking people and telling them to go to hell and things.

Sep 01 05 04:07 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

As a child, I was teased mercilessly for being skinny. It got worse in junior high and to this day, I still get the occassional nasty comment from adults. Anyone who deviates from the norm gets teased and insulted.

Fact: being grossly overweight is unhealthy. It causes a strain on the heart and joints, etc.  Being grossly underweight is typically a sign of malunutrition, which leads to a weakened immune system and chronic fatigue. Many 100 pound women who dwell on weight issues do so because being underweight is a bitch.

Most people have some control over their weight, but everyone has a genetic predisposition to a body type. Some people have glandular conditions that prevent them from ever reaching a normal weight, but they're in the minority.

voluptuous - 2: (of a woman's body) having a large bosom and pleasing curves; "Hollywood seems full of curvaceous blondes"; "a curvy young woman in a tight dress" [syn: bosomy, busty, buxom, curvaceous, curvy, full-bosomed, sonsie, sonsy, well-endowed]

Curvy implies hour-glass shaped. It implies proportioned. It demands "pleasing" curves. Pleasing is subjective, but very few people in our culture find obesity pleasing. In our culture, medically normal weight suggests good health and a person who has the time and inclination to maintain their health. In 3rd world countries, obesity suggests a person leisure and wealth who can afford excess.  We can pretty much all afford excess  around here.

But this is a modeling site, remember? The industry demands a certain look and that look is usually quite thin. Even when heavier models are called for, the .7 waist to hip ratio is still desirable.  If a 5'5" woman weighs 200 pound and measures 40-38-42, she does not have the body type the modeling industry seeks out and she is not the woman we think of when we hear "curvy."

Sep 01 05 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Lora wrote:
Did I ever say I worry about 15 pounds? It's part of my modeling profile, where I think I am required to give the best representation of myself. Where are you misunderstanding that? As far as my boyfriend goes, I never once ever talked about his or my weight. Only when he says something about his own do I tell him that it doesn't bother me - BECAUSE IT DOESN'T. Don't assume.

You say you are ok with who you are but the way you went off on a tangent a while ago says something totally different. You are the one with the insecurities.

You obviously didn't even read the whole thread before you felt like attacking people and telling them to go to hell and things.

god woman, you're the one (though you're not alone) who sounds like you haven't read the thread or lacks reading comprehension or is unable to think logically, put things in context or follow a story.

"did I ever say?" "where are you misunderstanding? "don't assume" and "you obviously didn't read the thread" are all things you just said that actually apply to you!

Sep 01 05 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

First you say this

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:
what if they are 40-50-38? Is that a curver, boldge, or a gut? Fat girls started calling them selves curvy when they started posting personal adds to try to make them selves sound sexy. Lets me real it's like going to a used car sales man. They have to talk up the car event though it should have been taken to the wrecking yard or they won't get the sale.

This problem branched into modeling due to the fact that some weird fucking photogs think a fat chick stress testing a bath tub is art.

Also we all know if she comes on here and says I'm a 26 year old 300lbs fat model chick with a pretty face that she isn't going to get many looks.

Someone else says this

The Art of CIP wrote:
A latina from LA thinks curvy is fat..  Wow..  The end is near!!! HAA!  tongue

Rafael  Alvarez wrote:
Then you say this

hmmm sounds like someone should have worded that a little different. That comes across pretty fucked up if you ask me. Given the fact that you're black I would hope you would watch your words a little better. I'm not trying to start any shit but bro you sure where pushing the fuck out of crossing the line deal.

That's pretty fucking unbelievable!

(And pay attention Lora & others)

Sep 01 05 10:53 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

theda wrote:
I agree. Curvy implies multiple curves, not just one round ball of person.

OMG that's such a funny thing to say....

Sep 01 05 10:54 am Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

William Kious wrote:
As a fat man, I find this thread offensive for a number of reasons.  True, I’m not a model, but I sympathize with what "curvy" women go through.

You know what gets me?  There are so many degrees of intolerance.  Anyone can make fun of, torment and generally mistreat fat people without thought, care or repercussion.  No one cares if a fat person is mercilessly teased as a child – even if the child is fat by no fault of his/her own.  However, if someone refers to an African American child using the "n" word, all hell breaks loose.  Both people are being judged by external appearance, but social reaction to the offense is completely different.

It's also okay for the "thin people" of the world to assume that fat people are lazy and good for nothing but being the butt/punch line of your incessant jokes.  To anyone maintaining that attitude, all I have to say is – to hell with you.

To the original poster: Why do you care if the model in question wishes to call herself curvy?  Why does it bother you so much?  She knows she's fat – the rest of the world knows she's fat – but why is it up to you to shatter her attempt to forge a positive image for herself?  Is it a personal crusade?  Are you that insecure?  Is it your inner fat person yearning to break free?  You’re on the opposite side of the spectrum to the model you mentioned, so why not keep your narrow-minded opinions to yourself?

To the rest of you: If you really want to call me fat, do it to my face and see what happens.  At least have the courage to be direct.  Better yet, why not make an attempt to open your mind – you may be surprised at what you find.

I guess you didn't actually read any of my threads.  I'm not insecure at all, I'm quite satisfied with my shape and self-image.  I was merely stating that I was annoyed by people who are dishonest about their shape-saying you're "curvy" when you're 220 lbs and 44-40-44, is just as dishonest as saying you are at 100 lbs and 32-25-33...it's like me telling people I'm a blonde or that I have tan skin, it's blatantly untrue.
I have no problem with heavy people, there are loads of genuinely curvy, attractive, heavy women.  Most of my family is obese and I love them dearly and would never judge their characters for it.  I am also aware that some people have medical problems that lead to obesity and that children aren't at fault.  I would be the LAST person to mock someone for being overweight. 
I'm hardly the one being narrow-minded here, I just like people to be honest.  It's misleading to say you're curvy if you're not.  That's all.  Please read all my posts on this thread before you begin cast aspersions on me.

Sep 01 05 10:54 am Link

Model

LORA

Aaron_H wrote:

god woman, you're the one (though you're not alone) who sounds like you haven't read the thread or lacks reading comprehension or is unable to think logically, put things in context or follow a story.

"did I ever say?" "where are you misunderstanding? "don't assume" and "you obviously didn't read the thread" are all things you just said that actually apply to you!

Wow. I have seen the light.

Sep 01 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Aaron_H wrote:
god woman

I think the same thing when I look at Lora's photos. wink

Now where is that ass kissing thread...

Sep 01 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Lora wrote:

Wow. I have seen the light.

It's truly sad that you haven't. You accused him of saying or implying things he didn't. You misunderstood things he said. You made assumptions about him, and some of your comments made it appear you didn't read the thread because of things you either ignore or apparently can't comprehend.

Sep 01 05 11:31 am Link

Model

LORA

Aaron_H wrote:

It's truly sad that you haven't. You accused him of saying or implying things he didn't. You misunderstood things he said. You made assumptions about him, and some of your comments made it appear you didn't read the thread because of things you either ignore or apparently can't comprehend.

I did? Where? And yes, I did read the thread.

Sep 01 05 11:33 am Link