Forums > General Industry > RANT!!!! Since when did curvy=obese?

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Okay, sure I might get slammed for saying this, but hear me out.  I have no problem with larger women calling themselves curvy IF they actually are (waist a good degree smaller than the hips/bust), but I hate how "curvy" has become synonymous with "fat."
    For instance, although only 120 lbs, I am curvy woman by virtue of my proportions, yet when I mention that I'm curvy people seem to want to argue this with me, saying that I'm too thin to be curvy. 
    I recently ran across a portfolio on here of a 200-something pound woman who described herself as a "curvy model," yet her measurements were 44-40-44....hmmm, a four inch difference? Hardly curvy, just very large.  Does anyone else have any input on the matter?  Does this bother other models who actually are curvy (be you large or small, it's all about proportions)?

Aug 30 05 10:29 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I agree. Curvy implies multiple curves, not just one round ball of person.

Aug 30 05 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Hice Image Works

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

Hey!!! ...those are my measurements sad

...and I'm 245lbs thank you very much...

Oh wait I am a photographer...HA!! I guess I am one sexy "curvy" man wink

Sorry to stray and I bet I most likely just gave you mental images you didn't want but I couldn't resist. I really don't have an opinion because as a guy anything I say in this areana is WRONG. Yes, I am married and well trained, night night.

Aug 30 05 10:36 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

It's part of the reason that whenever I describe myself as curvy, I usually add "with a well-defined hourglass figure".  Seems to keep the confusion down.

I agree, 4" bust-waist-hip difference is not curvy, no matter what the weight.  (Unless you're shorter than 4'10". :p)

Aug 30 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

I got really angry watching an interview with one of the models in that new Dove ad.  She went to a modeling agency and was told "Sorry, we don't represent plus sized models".  She is a size six.  I guess if she can be a plus sized model, this other one can be curvy.

I am overweight by quite a bit.  I would NEVER call myself curvy (nor am I just one round ball, I do have curves but, I am fat pure and simple *grins*).  I don't know.  I prefer to judge models based on their photos and not their descriptions.

Aug 30 05 10:51 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Jeanette Thompson wrote:
I got really angry watching an interview with one of the models in that new Dove ad.  She went to a modeling agency and was told "Sorry, we don't represent plus sized models".  She is a size six.  I guess if she can be a plus sized model, this other one can be curvy.

I am overweight by quite a bit.  I would NEVER call myself curvy (nor am I just one round ball, I do have curves but, I am fat pure and simple *grins*).  I don't know.  I prefer to judge models based on their photos and not their descriptions.

That's ridiculous, size 6 too large?!?! However, judging from their latest ads Dove used women up to about a size 12 it seems (which still isn't fat and barely into "plus size" in the modeling world).  Maybe she underestimated her size? I don't know though, as I didn't see it.

Aug 30 05 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Kram

Portland, Oregon, US

In answer to your question; when it became profitable to MegaKorps.
"You're not obese, you're curvy. It's OK, eat more and get more curves. Buy our soap, buy our fat food, buy our huge clothing. We love you just the way you are and so will the hospital, the doctors and Oprah. Don't change. It's OK."

The obese nature of Americans is very unhealty and spawns a whole culture of massive consumption.

My g/f's nephews and neices would rather sit in the house and play video games than go outside and play ball. Yes, they are all very "curvy".

Aug 30 05 10:57 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Kram wrote:
In answer to your question; when it became profitable to MegaKorps.
"You're not obese, you're curvy. It's OK, eat more and get more curves. Buy our soap, buy our fat food, buy our huge clothing. We love you just the way you are and so will the hospital, the doctors and Oprah. Don't change. It's OK."

The obese nature of Americans is very unhealty and spawns a whole culture of massive consumption.

My g/f's nephews and neices would rather sit in the house and play video games than go outside and play ball. Yes, they are all very "curvy".

You sound right on the money (no pun intended).  That's sad, people really need to focus on health in this country, even if you're larger...sure some people are naturally a bit larger, but no one's body was ever meant to be 300 Lbs. (most of my family weighs this or close, so I am sensitive to the issues larger people have...but I also see how horribly they eat and then blame it on genetics.  Although, granted some people do have medical issues that do cause weight gain w/no fault to the person).

Aug 30 05 11:03 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

I think it boils down to a "eye of the beholder" thing. I try not to define my self beyond that I am not of average size. Everyone has their own way to discribe/view something. Its part of the american way [ almost a cancer if you ask me] people beleive that THEY must be right and if you don't aggree your wrong.

Like I got chewed once for saying I was a plus size model. I defined it as "Larger then Average size", averagebeing like 0-8 in a dress size. I didn't define it by a like defined Dress size, i generlized the tearm against someone who was all about tagging people what they thought they were.

I do aggree with you thought you can't say your cuvy if you really aren't. the 44-40-44 doesn't sound really curvy. Maybe she just think's she is because someone told her she was. But either way, everyone is 'intitled' to their opinion.. just remember that.

Or the oldie but a goodie " Opnion's are like a$s holes..everyone's got one.." Just my two cents though.

Aug 30 05 11:03 pm Link

Model

Stephie V

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

WoW.. This talk is intense!!! I am told I need to lose lbs all the time.. I am 34-26-36!! I am concidered to curvy for a lot of shoots!! Crazy huh

Aug 30 05 11:05 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Indeed, people are entitled to their own opinions, BUT within reason when it comes to what certain terms mean.  From the dictionary: Curvaceous: (adjective) : having curves suggestive of a well-proportioned feminine figure.  Not much to argue there, and well-proportioned by medical standards is for women to have a waist that is at least 8-12 (or more!)" smaller than the hips, ratios over that are generally viewed as less attractive according to studies, less fertile, and more prone to heart disease, diabetes, and so on.

Aug 30 05 11:10 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Stephie V wrote:
WoW.. This talk is intense!!! I am told I need to lose lbs all the time.. I am 34-26-36!! I am concidered to curvy for a lot of shoots!! Crazy huh

That is crazy! I'm larger than that: 34dd-26-38, andI'm not a large lady by any means.  People are so warped.

Aug 30 05 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alright...I'll probably get slamed for this, but, here goes...If a person that has a weight problem and knows about it ssits around eating six-dollar bugers all the time, well, then, they know about it about it and don't care about them selves.  If a person knows that they weight 200 and do what they can about staying as healthy as they can, then, leave them the hell alone!

Basically...As has been said for a really, really, really long time..."Do not judge a book by it's cover".

Aug 30 05 11:35 pm Link

Model

Lexi Lithium

Tampa, Florida, US

io wrote:
Indeed, people are entitled to their own opinions, BUT within reason when it comes to what certain terms mean.  From the dictionary: Curvaceous: (adjective) : having curves suggestive of a well-proportioned feminine figure.  Not much to argue there, and well-proportioned by medical standards is for women to have a waist that is at least 8-12 (or more!)" smaller than the hips, ratios over that are generally viewed as less attractive according to studies, less fertile, and more prone to heart disease, diabetes, and so on.

I guess I'm defined curvy then from the waist down.. 43-40-53
XD

Aug 30 05 11:37 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Im curvy from the bottom, But I wouldnt consider myself all-around curvy....I have small breasts and full hips and a curvy butt....However larger women do consider themselves curvy but to each is own right? big_smile

Aug 30 05 11:41 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Doug Harvey wrote:
Alright...I'll probably get slamed for this, but, here goes...If a person that has a weight problem and knows about it ssits around eating six-dollar bugers all the time, well, then, they know about it about it and don't care about them selves.  If a person knows that they weight 200 and do what they can about staying as healthy as they can, then, leave them the hell alone!

Basically...As has been said for a really, really, really long time..."Do not judge a book by it's cover".

If they eat healthy and work out and still weigh that then they either A. Have a lot of muscle B. Are fairly tall C. Have a real medical problem, and that's all well and good, as I have mentioned before.  Read my previous posts and you will see that I am in no way harrassing overweight people.  I would never dream of it, my grandmother/best friend/basically my mom was 250lbs, and was the most amazing and beautiful woman on the planet to me.  I'm not slamming weight, I'm just aggravated by words being twisted to fit what they aren't.

Aug 30 05 11:44 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

angelavasquez wrote:
Im curvy from the bottom, But I wouldnt consider myself all-around curvy....I have small breasts and full hips and a curvy butt....However larger women do consider themselves curvy but to each is own right? big_smile

It's all about waist-hip ratio, boobs can add to the look, but you don't need big boobs in my opinion to be curvy.  I never said that you couldn't be large and curvy, I have a friend who models and is 5'10", 220 lbs, and is a 38DD/30/45...VERY curvy, and it looks great to me!

Aug 30 05 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:

LMAO... THAT is exactly what I explain to people... except that I say "...not one single curve ending in a circle"

Aug 31 05 08:53 am Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:

this made me chuckle too.

I am one inch taller than the original poster and the same weight, people are always telling me im too skinny, i have no desire to be 'curvy" tho,,short and strong suits me just fine d:>)

Aug 31 05 08:59 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Curvy became synonymous with fat when fat became a four letter word.  Personally, I prefer fat to euphemisms that are meant to be kind, but are really just condescending.  Stuff that.  Fat is an adjective, no more or less.  It's no worse than describing someone as tall, short, thin, or purple polka dotted.  It's just a word.  Get over it, people.

Aug 31 05 09:23 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I travelled to Montreal a couple years ago. That was a real eye-opener to how fat we have become as a nation. Factor in cigarette usage up there if you will. They were still in MUCH better shape on average.

I have nothing against someone who is "overweight" if they are living a healthy lifestyle. Genetics happen. I have known some "fat" women I consider very sexy and "curvy" even if the figure wasn't exactly an hour glass.

It's the ones that say they are "curvy" or "fluffy" and wish things were different while super-sizing their lunch that I have issues with.

Aug 31 05 10:07 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Shyly wrote:
Curvy became synonymous with fat when fat became a four letter word.

I think "curvy" became synonymous with "fat", when obese girls wanted to sound cuter and started to call themself "curvy" and "real women".

Aug 31 05 10:17 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

'Obese' has been thrown around lately as an 'epidemic' in our country. Our kids are even being described as obese as young as grade school age.
From what I've seen (on DHC, anyway) though, 30 pounds overweight and you are technically obese. Plenty of obese women try to cover up their obesity by calling it 'curvy' but I really don't see much of that here, especially with posters in this thread. 'Beautifully healthy' is more like it. smile

Aug 31 05 10:18 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Don't forget "thick".

Another term of endearment.  smile

Aug 31 05 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

groupw wrote:
I have nothing against someone who is "overweight" if they are living a healthy lifestyle. Genetics happen. I have known some "fat" women I consider very sexy and "curvy" even if the figure wasn't exactly an hour glass.

It's the ones that say they are "curvy" or "fluffy" and wish things were different while super-sizing their lunch that I have issues with.

I would have to agree with this. I would add that it bugs the hell out of me when someone in this condition does the above and then turns to you and tell you that you are not eating right and you should eat more healthy....... and your in way better shape than they are.
I dont like people that think they know it all and push it on others, sorry. If they know it all why cant they help themselves and get to a healthy weight? Dont come over to me and babble to me about health when i am healthier than you are.
Granted being a guy and all, its all different. I am 6ft 2in and i weigh 285lb but i dont look obese at all, people think i weigh about 250-260 or i play football. It has its good sides though, people dont bother me at all.

Aug 31 05 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Doug Harvey wrote:

Yeah, but in the world of modeling (and the twisted little bizarro world of internet modeling) it's all about judging books by their covers.

Aug 31 05 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Justin N Lane wrote:

Yeah, but in the world of modeling (and the twisted little bizarro world of internet modeling) it's all about judging books by their covers.

BING BING BING BING    You just won the $10.....errr  $5 prize... (tax and gas prices ya know)       smile

Aug 31 05 10:39 am Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

Io keep in mind that ethnicity, age, and alot of other factors determine "obese"...  For instance - if you're in say Huntington Beach Cali for instance, some might say obese...  If you're Atlanta Georgia - some might say just right...  If your audience isn't feeling you then simply deal with the ones that do.....    WORD!

Aug 31 05 10:43 am Link

Model

bebewood

Los Angeles, California, US

seriously, now when i think curvy i think FAT, and im like, why would ANYONE call themselves that? It's a four letter word now.

Aug 31 05 11:31 am Link

Model

LORA

bebewood wrote:
seriously, now when i think curvy i think FAT, and im like, why would ANYONE call themselves that? It's a four letter word now.

I call myself skinny. It's not a four letter word. People just made it seem that way. Fat people are taking that word back.

Aug 31 05 11:33 am Link

Model

bebewood

Los Angeles, California, US

Udo R Photography wrote:

I think "curvy" became synonymous with "fat", when obese girls wanted to sound cuter and started to call themself "curvy" and "real women".

this is why i NEVER want to be called a woman. i want to be a girl forever. The word woman is so taboo, so ugly, so disgusting nowadays. It reminds me of cellulite, of obesity, of anger, and of sagging.. Who wants to be like that! If that's a real woman, i am more than happy being a "little girl" or even a "little boy"

Aug 31 05 11:39 am Link

Model

LORA

bebewood wrote:

this is why i NEVER want to be called a woman. i want to be a girl forever. The word woman is so taboo, so ugly, so disgusting nowadays. It reminds me of cellulite, of obesity, of anger, and of sagging.. Who wants to be like that! If that's a real woman, i am more than happy being a "little girl" or even a "little boy"

That's the way I thought until I actually BECAME one. Being a woman is much better than being 19. In my opinion. smile

Aug 31 05 11:42 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

The Art of CIP wrote:
Io keep in mind that ethnicity, age, and alot of other factors determine "obese"...  For instance - if you're in say Huntington Beach Cali for instance, some might say obese...  If you're Atlanta Georgia - some might say just right...  If your audience isn't feeling you then simply deal with the ones that do.....    WORD!

I agree with you on that one. Cutlure does identify with whats beautiful. I heard a while back that Brasilian Model Gisele Bundchen took a trip to the amazon to visit this village, The village chief said that she was very ugly and it would be hard for her to find a man if she lived in the village.....And here shes considered beautiful and a top model.....Go figure!!! big_smile

Ciao
Angela
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Aug 31 05 11:49 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

Lora wrote:

That's the way I thought until I actually BECAME one. Being a woman is much better than being 19. In my opinion. smile

Age to me doesent define if your a woman or not, its how you carry yourself and how you approach things, Im 19 going on 20 and Im a woman......I would be definitley insulted if anyone called me a little girl....

Aug 31 05 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

It's all in what people want to see.  I've [successfully] shot 120-pound models and 200-poung models.  One of the models I most want to work with in the US weighs in excess of 300-pounds.  Frankly, I find her more interesting than the majority of the "fashion/glamour" models around these days.  If someone has the nerve to come before my camera, I'm defiitely willing to give them my best effort...If I don't then all the stuff on my profile is just idle talk...and the last thing I want to be called is a hypocrite.

This is just my feeling on the matter of course; I don't claim to possess the absolute truth on any subject.  And now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Aug 31 05 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Avicdar wrote:
Don't forget "thick".

Another term of endearment.  smile

I prefer the term "sturdy".  The redhead model in my portfolio was larger than what would be deemed "Acceptable" in most modeling.... but the face of an angel. 

"Photogenic" counts, not size.

Aug 31 05 12:51 pm Link

Model

LORA

angelavasquez wrote:

Age to me doesent define if your a woman or not, its how you carry yourself and how you approach things, Im 19 going on 20 and Im a woman......I would be definitley insulted if anyone called me a little girl....

Mkay but I didn't mean it that way. I was referring to the way she described it.

Aug 31 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

what if they are 40-50-38? Is that a curver, boldge, or a gut? Fat girls started calling them selves curvy when they started posting personal adds to try to make them selves sound sexy. Lets me real it's like going to a used car sales man. They have to talk up the car event though it should have been taken to the wrecking yard or they won't get the sale.

This problem branched into modeling due to the fact that some weird fucking photogs think a fat chick stress testing a bath tub is art.

Also we all know if she comes on here and says I'm a 26 year old 300lbs fat model chick with a pretty face that she isn't going to get many looks.

Aug 31 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of CIP

Long Beach, California, US

bebewood wrote:

A latina from LA thinks curvy is fat..  Wow..  The end is near!!! HAA!  tongue

Aug 31 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Uvision Media LLC

Central Square, New York, US

The Art of CIP wrote:

A latina from LA thinks curvy is fat..  Wow..  The end is near!!! HAA!  tongue

hmmm sounds like someone should have worded that a little different. That comes across pretty fucked up if you ask me. Given the fact that you're black I would hope you would watch your words a little better. I'm not trying to start any shit but bro you sure where pushing the fuck out of crossing the line deal.

Aug 31 05 02:50 pm Link