Forums > Model Colloquy > Is it wrong to tell the model to Dress Sexy?

Photographer

A. I. Studios

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Looks like no matter what you say nowadays, is WRONG!

What is the right way to tell a model to dress sexy for an outdoor shoot or any shoot for this matter.

Thanks

Jul 16 18 07:33 pm Link

Model

Robyn Leslie

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

It is perfectly fine to spec sexy just like lingerie or fetish or nude.

Jul 17 18 02:51 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

A. I. Studios wrote:

What is the right way to tell a model to dress sexy for an outdoor shoot or any shoot for this matter.

Thanks

With a Moodboard, lookbook or in images.

Show the Model the look You are attempting to achieve.

Jul 17 18 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

A. I. Studios wrote:

Just say it.  Don't let the pussification of the world make it complicated to explain or describe your shoot. 

And, moodboards help too.

Jul 17 18 04:02 am Link

Model

Robyn Leslie

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I think that most of my photos are built on sexiness. One photog was male one was female. Love your thought comments on whether the lingerie or fully clothed is more sexy.

Jul 17 18 06:23 am Link

Model

meganhunt

Denver, Colorado, US

I actually prefer that the photographer e-mail me some pictures that show what sort of concepts he's looking to create. If those happen to be in a short-dress, lingerie or nude, I know what I need to deliver. Doesn't take any words smile

Jul 17 18 06:28 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

Nothing wrong at all, making apparel requests. More specificity might be helpful, though.

Jul 17 18 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Make sure it's not just a disagreement about words, use images.
If the images get a negative or positive reaction - there's your answer.
And if it's a positive reaction to the images and a negative reaction to the word, just remind yourself not to use that word. Maybe even ask how the model describes the image.

Why argue about words when what you're trying to produce with someone is an image?

Jul 17 18 07:19 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

I worked with one photographer who considered tight secretarial attire to be "sexy," while others have considered lingerie to be sexy. I have also had "sexy" defined as a weird combination of "cut-off jean shorts and red lipstick." Specifically, those two things together, on more than one occasion. Other photographers have requested items like, full support pantyhose to be worn alone in various colors. Someone once wanted to shoot me in nothing but various colors of ski jackets, because they loved the idea of women naked under ski jackets.

In other words, send example photos. "Sexy" means something different to literally everyone.

Jul 17 18 07:55 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

There is nothing wrong with it, I think that it goes with the job. How many models have you met that don't think they're attractive, sexy or however you want to put it?

Jul 17 18 07:55 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

bshaw811 wrote:
I actually prefer that the photographer e-mail me some pictures that show what sort of concepts he's looking to create. If those happen to be in a short-dress, lingerie or nude, I know what I need to deliver. Doesn't take any words smile

I have to disagree with this "Doesn't take any words"

If i am discussing a shoot with you and I specifically say "There will be no topless, no nudes" and I send you a sample pic of one of the poses that I want, in the pic the model is topless. To me I am looking at the pose and believe it or not the pose can be done in a scuba suit covered from the neck to the toes. i have done this a couple of times and gotten this response  something like "I don't do nudes. Sorry but I don't want to shoot with you. You want nudes but are not being honest about it."  WTF

Jul 17 18 08:55 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

getting them to dress sexy is easy

getting them to dress down or dress 'ratty'....oy

miles..miles of separation between their idea of ratty and mine

prolly should have done the 'mood board' thing

Jul 17 18 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

TouchofEleganceStudios wrote:

I have to disagree with this "Doesn't take any words"

If i am discussing a shoot with you and I specifically say "There will be no topless, no nudes" and I send you a sample pic of one of the poses that I want, in the pic the model is topless. To me I am looking at the pose and believe it or not the pose can be done in a scuba suit covered from the neck to the toes. i have done this a couple of times and gotten this response  something like "I don't do nudes. Sorry but I don't want to shoot with you. You want nudes but are not being honest about it."  WTF

The model's assumption is reasonable enough. Although I wouldn't suggest sending nude images as descriptions for poses desired in a non-nude shoot, if it were absolutely necessary I'd suggest being specific with a disclaimer. For example, "please disregard the nudity in the third image, it's the only image I could find to describe the pose, as I mentioned all work will be clothed."

Jul 17 18 09:19 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
The model's assumption is reasonable enough. Although I wouldn't suggest sending nude images as descriptions for poses desired in a non-nude shoot, if it were absolutely necessary I'd suggest being specific with a disclaimer. For example, "please disregard the nudity in the third image, it's the only image I could find to describe the pose, as I mentioned all work will be clothed."

Actually that is almost exactly how I put it
Instead of "please disregard the nudity" mine said "please ignore the nudity in the image"

People need to use some common sense. For instance I want to do a fashion style shoot at Old Town Pasadena the model on the stairs front main entrance with this pose

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44259197

The model responds "I don't want to do a western shoot"

If I send a model this pose are you saying that it cannot be done on a sofa:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/43607169

It is about the pose

Jul 17 18 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

"Bring Something Sexy" is the title of an award winning movie created by Pure Rebel https://www.modelmayhem.com/2621488

Every person has a different idea what look sexy. The words are meaningless unless you describe a bit about your vision of sexy. An evening gown can look sexy, and Daisy Dukes with a plaid shirt can be sexy as well. Or did you mean lingerie? A push up, padded bra, or a lacy bralette? or were you looking for a babydoll? All vastly different looks, but all can be sexy, too.

Some guys think mom jeans and a cotton shirt looks extremely sexy if she is holding a beer and sandwich.

Jul 17 18 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Actually that is almost exactly how I put it
Instead of "please disregard the nudity" mine said "please ignore the nudity in the image"

People need to use some common sense. For instance I want to do a fashion style shoot at Old Town Pasadena the model on the stairs front main entrance with this pose

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44259197

The model responds "I don't want to do a western shoot"

It is about the pose

Your message is not clear. Ignore the nudity is fine, but what about the scene?

Better might be:
I want to shoot here: https://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2010/ … .jpg?w=420
With you wearing this: **insert catalog outfit or whatever**
And your arms, legs, and head posing like this: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44259197

We cannot expect models to be mind readers. You send them an image, and that's the image they think you want to duplicate. And if an image is truly worth a thousand words, perhaps dozens of words, if not hundred(s) are required to extract the abridged story from that sample image.

Now, the problem I would have with your message, assuming you gave me the location and outfit and pose is whether we are going to get one look and pose. "click. We got it. Thanks." Personally, I'd save the exact pose for the shoot. Show the model the pose on my phone. Then any confusion about nudity or scene is totally erased. Unless the pose requires a contortionist, most models can get a simple pose done without practicing days before the shoot. Plus, you asking them to change the pose is no longer outside the prior agreement on the one pose you stated.

Jul 17 18 09:56 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:

Your message is not clear. Ignore the nudity is fine, but what about the scene?

Better might be:
I want to shoot here: https://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2010/ … .jpg?w=420
With you wearing this: **insert catalog outfit or whatever**
And your arms, legs, and head posing like this: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44259197

We cannot expect models to be mind readers. You send them an image, and that's the image they think you want to duplicate. And if an image is truly worth a thousand words, perhaps dozens of words, if not hundred(s) are required to extract the abridged story from that sample image.

Now, the problem I would have with your message, assuming you gave me the location and outfit and pose is whether we are going to get one look and pose. "click. We got it. Thanks." Personally, I'd save the exact pose for the shoot. Show the model the pose on my phone. Then any confusion about nudity or scene is totally erased. Unless the pose requires a contortionist, most models can get a simple pose done without practicing days before the shoot. Plus, you asking them to change the pose is no longer outside the prior agreement on the one pose you stated.

You are taking things out of context. That is merely a sample of one pose for the shoot. It was an example. What you are expecting is for me to share an entire conversation about the shoot. For instance I am in the midst of planning a shoot at a studio with a baby grand piano. That same pose can be done with her back to the piano. We are discussing a pose not the entire shoot! Or do I need to post the outfits that she will be wearing here, including the colors and her make up and hair. Can we just focus on the pose as an example.

Jul 17 18 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Heels and Hemlines

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

Alexandra Vincent wrote:
In other words, send example photos. "Sexy" means something different to literally everyone.

Exactly this. "Sexy" is one of those nebulous words like "glamour" that means something different to everyone who uses it. It is best to describe in plain English exactly what you are looking for (or send sample photos if you have them). And don't be shy about asking for exactly what you want. If it crosses the model's limits it is better to find that out during the pre-shoot communication. One thing models hate more than anything else is the "bait and switch" where the photographer leads them to believe the shoot is about one thing, when it is really about something else.

Jul 17 18 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

After 57 years of marriage with the same woman, I would never dream of telling any woman anything--asking or suggesting works a whole lot better.

But as has been said, what you consider sexy I might consider frumpy--visible references such as a section of your own portfolio, a mood board or even just a couple of snapshots can go a long way toward preventing misunderstanding. And the way you make the suggestion can make a difference in the model's reception.  "Bring something sexy." can sound  a bit creepy where "We'll want to get a very sexy look so please bring something appropriate." might be better.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jul 17 18 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

If someone tells me to "bring something sexy" for a shoot/project, what am I do do? Bring something I think is sexy, or something THEY think is sexy? Whose version of sexy is the goal?

The word SEXY is a very vague word that each person has a specific idea of.

Mood boards with examples as well as specific communication on the goals of the images.

Jul 17 18 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

The idea of what is "sexy" can vary widely from person to person. It is better to provide example images so that the model and photographer are on the same page.

Jul 17 18 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

its not unreasonable.
As a photographer, these days you are expected to be passing familiar with photoshop or equivalent.
Slapping some fake bikini or something over her is expected to be within your capability.
The fact that you didnt do that, can suggest to the model that you actually want to do nudes.

Jul 17 18 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Philip Brown wrote:
its not unreasonable.
As a photographer, these days you are expected to be passing familiar with photoshop or equivalent.
Slapping some fake bikini or something over her is expected to be within your capability.
The fact that you didnt do that, can suggest to the model that you actually want to do nudes.

One thing about me is that I have been a member of Model Mayhem in good standing for over 12 years with an excellent reputation. Not one complaint from a model in all that time. There is a reason for it. I am ALWAYS straight with models. I read every word in their profiles. What you are saying is no different than model who says "I don't do nude" yet has nudes in her pictures. She said I don't do nudes and I respect that so I NEVER ask.

As far as photo shop if i remember correctly there are Retouchers on Model Mayhem. Perhaps you expect me to do make up and hair too. I am not interested in retouching, doing make up, hair or designing clothes! It says in my portfolio that I am a Photographer.

Jul 17 18 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Words can have limitiations.different interpretations and misinterpretations

I will always remember an incident in my early days of shooting fashion shows . I was doing some backstage photography before the show and asked one of the Models ( a young Chinese Woman ) to give me a sultry expression

"What You call Me " ? !!! was her response

So I learned in real life to either physically display / mimic the pose/ emotion  that i am seeking . or if the model has such posing/emoting  talents - just go with what she throws at  me

When corresponding with Models on the Internet I generally send them either a photo that i have taken or a mood photo / mood board so they can understand what i am looking for

Jul 17 18 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

A. I. Studios

Jersey City, New Jersey, US

Thank you all for your contributions, very informative.

-Alan

Jul 17 18 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

A. I. Studios wrote:

Thanks

I don't tell a model, "You need to ______.". I say, "I want to shoot ________.". The goal is to be clear, without being demanding.

When arranging a shoot, I tell the model what I am going for. I am specific so as there are no surprises at the shoot. If a model has a problem with what I am looking to do, she will tell me.

Jul 18 18 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

You are taking things out of context. That is merely a sample of one pose for the shoot. It was an example. What you are expecting is for me to share an entire conversation about the shoot. For instance I am in the midst of planning a shoot at a studio with a baby grand piano. That same pose can be done with her back to the piano. We are discussing a pose not the entire shoot! Or do I need to post the outfits that she will be wearing here, including the colors and her make up and hair. Can we just focus on the pose as an example.

How can I be taking things out of context when you provided no such context? You seem to think the models can read your mind on the limited aspect of the image and your discussion. I am expecting when you post to the forum here about a miscommunication issue for you to provide the full context of the conversation leading to the miscommunication.

You do not need to post the entire conversation, but rather summarize it here. Did you send the model examples of the location and fashions you were interested in? Or did you jump straight to the pose thinking she should already understand all of that?

Not a photoshopper? Draw a black bar over the example model's breasts.

Jul 18 18 09:44 am Link

Model

CRIMSON REIGN

Baltimore, Maryland, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

With a Moodboard, lookbook or in images.

Show the Model the look You are attempting to achieve.

Excellent response, because "sexy" means different things to different people

Jul 18 18 09:18 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The OP doesnt sound like there was a miscommunication on what "sexy" meant.

A lot of people (men) seem to struggle with the boundary between using words to describe aspects of the shoot vs telling the human being in front of them about what they personally find sexually arousing.

"I want this shoot to convey a mood of sexiness"  vs  "stand here and be sexy for me"

"Lets shoot some sultry facial expressions"  vs  " look at the camera like you want to fuck me/look at me like you would look at your boyfriend/make love to the camera/etc"

You can certainly tell a model that you're looking for wardrobe that would be considered sexy (though as other posters have pointed out, you're better off requesting specific items, suggesting a certain store, or creating a mood board). If you're using some kind of sentence like you want her to dress sexy for you then theres the issue.

Jul 18 18 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

bshaw811 wrote:

This makes the most sense. Just asking someone to dress sexy is very vague. it's just too subjective. Emailing examples of what you're looking for is the logical thing to do since asking someone to read your mind is asking for misunderstanding and disappointment, not to mention an unnecessary stress and burden on the model.

Besides that I see no problem in informing a model your idea requires sexy, or nerdy, or sporty, or whatever your idea requires.

Jul 20 18 05:20 am Link