Forums > Critique > First 10 get their worst critiqued by a nobody

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Im bored. Ill I'll pick your worst shot and berate it. First ten only. if I dont get bored to death Ill do ten more.

Nov 19 18 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Can I return the favour ?

Nov 19 18 11:46 am Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:

of course. let me take a look at your work to see if Ill bother to care

Nov 19 18 11:55 am Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:

ill care let me have it.

Nov 19 18 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Yes please and thank you.

If you would like me to reciprocate just ask.

Nov 19 18 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:

and the point of this one is???  self gratification? i dont see any other purpose for taking a shot like this, let alone including it in your otherwise good portfolio. are you trying to show people youre safe to shoot nudes with? that models have shot nudes with you and didnt disappear?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1 … #/37729561

Nov 19 18 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Yes please and thank you.

If you would like me to reciprocate just ask.

get rid of this one. NOW! this one will come up on the FBI database for every missing girl that disappears after a photo shoot. cell phone pic in trashy clothing in basement.  AND youre using it as your calling shot.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/2 … #/44804957

let me have it

Nov 19 18 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

GSin Photography wrote:
and the point of this one is???  self gratification? i dont see any other purpose for taking a shot like this, let alone including it in your otherwise good portfolio. are you trying to show people youre safe to shoot nudes with? that models have shot nudes with you and didnt disappear?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1 … #/37729561

Its more like a message to the Fashion Models I work with  that I can take a tasteful picture of them with or without clothing

And it has proven effective

Nov 19 18 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:
Its more like a message to the Fashion Models I work with  that I can take a tasteful picture of them with or without clothing

And it has proven effective

so i nailed it. wink

Nov 19 18 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

GSin Photography wrote:

so i nailed it. wink

You have ascertained some of the reason i took such a shot

but I am still waiting for an explanation as to why it is the worst shot in my portfolio

Is it because you object to implied nudity - or is there some other reason ?

Nov 19 18 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Thanks, will consider.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/13542322
Splendid photo of her armpit and nostrils. She looks like she is trying to pull her head off. Logo is hideous.

Nov 19 18 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:
You have ascertained some of the reason i took such a shot

but I am still waiting for an explanation as to why it is the worst shot in my portfolio

Is it because you object to implied nudity - or is there some other reason ?

implied nudity warrants an artistic element created either by the model, the lighting, the set, the pose or all of the above. also, this lacks the third dimension.
pose-nothing. your nekkid model is doing a push up. nothing dramatic there.  the lighting...although it isnt horrible, is bland and adds nothing to the shot. the background(set)-nothing. next time, break some glass and spread the shards. darken half of her(lighting) and add some color...blood, smeared makeup, wig, etc...pose her at an angle and bam.. you have a picture worthy of a second look AND you can still show models youre safe..

Nov 19 18 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Thanks, will consider.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/13542322
Splendid photo of her armpit and nostrils. She looks like she is trying to pull her head off. Logo is hideous.

my logo huh? ohhh someone got butt hurt. hahahaha

Nov 19 18 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

GSin Photography wrote:
implied nudity warrants an artistic element created either by the model, the lighting, the set, the pose or all of the above. also, this lacks the third dimension.
pose-nothing. your nekkid model is doing a push up. nothing dramatic there.  the lighting...although it isnt horrible, is bland and adds nothing to the shot. the background(set)-nothing. next time, break some glass and spread the shards. darken half of her(lighting) and add some color...blood, smeared makeup, wig, etc...pose her at an angle and bam.. you have a picture worthy of a second look AND you can still show models youre safe..

glass shards and blood ? .....hmmmmm

that should go over well with the Models i seek to work with ( and thier Agencies ) tongue

Nov 19 18 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

GSin Photography wrote:

I like the image!

Nov 19 18 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

GSin Photography wrote:

of course. let me take a look at your work to see if Ill bother to care

Let me just say that I like your Avatar shot - and I will leave it at that

Nov 19 18 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:

glass shards and blood ? .....hmmmmm

that should go over well with the Models i seek to work with ( and thier Agencies ) tongue

what, is there a problem with bludgeoning models? well, strategically place the glass shards and use fake blood...damn divas! lol

Nov 19 18 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

GSin Photography wrote:

my logo huh? ohhh someone got butt hurt. hahahaha

Not in the slightest, I am full growed and stuff.
I looked at every one of your images before choosing. This could have been a nice image but to me it truly fails in ways I noted. Large, garish logos containing unneeded and amateurish design elements become part of your image and not in a good way. Take it how you like but the irony of you calling me butt hurt is pretty amusing in context.

Nov 19 18 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:

Let me just say that I like your Avatar shot - and I will leave it at that

thats not how the game is played. pick one out of ALL my horrible shots, since thats what youre implying, and let er rip. i have thick skinned.

Nov 19 18 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

GSin Photography wrote:

thats not how the game is played. pick one out of ALL my horrible shots, since thats what youre implying, and let er rip. i have thick skinned.

I am totally stymied - sorry

Nov 19 18 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I like the image!

Im curious. you dont think its the weakest in his portfolio? which one would you pick in its place?

Nov 19 18 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:

I am totally stymied - sorry

well, youre no fun! best wishes to you

Nov 19 18 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

GSin Photography wrote:
Im bored. Ill I'll pick your worst shot and berate it. First ten only. if I dont get bored to death Ill do ten more.

Im 2 for 2 on the hurt feelings. let me clarify the above. you can have 100 perfect pictures that i love. the game is to pick one that doesnt strike me as much as the others and berate it. make fun of it, tear it down, etc...its all in good jest. you may have had a vision in mind when you took that shot and you may have nailed it. im just telling you what your image says to me.  im a nobody and my opinion doesnt matter at all so step back from the ledge. if you cant take this, youre in the wrong business. never think so highly of yourself that you rule out the possibilities of any faults existing in your work. how will you grow as an artist?

Nov 19 18 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

GSin Photography wrote:

Im 2 for 2 on the hurt feelings. let me clarify the above. you can have 100 perfect pictures that i love. the game is to pick one that doesnt strike me as much as the others and berate it. make fun of it, tear it down, etc...its all in good jest. you may have had a vision in mind when you took that shot and you may have nailed it. im just telling you what your image says to me.  im a nobody and my opinion doesnt matter at all so step back from the ledge. if you cant take this, youre in the wrong business. never think so highly of yourself that you rule out the possibilities of any faults existing in your work. how will you grow as an artist?

I know the game and I played it as per above. You came back all butt hurt yourself, funny!!!!
I've had plenty of critique from a wide variety of viewers, I listen and consider. Then, I do what I want, just like everybody else does. You don't have to like that or my critique, it's all good either way.

Nov 19 18 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I know the game and I played it as per above. You came back all butt hurt yourself, funny!!!!
I've had plenty of critique from a wide variety of viewers, I listen and consider. Then, I do what I want, just like everybody else does. You don't have to like that or my critique, it's all good either way.

as everyone should do! its our own vision were trying to develop and produce. chase your dreams. and no...i like my logo, it didnt hurt one bit.

Nov 19 18 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

GSin Photography wrote:

as everyone should do! its our own vision were trying to develop and produce. chase your dreams. and no...i like my logo, it didnt hurt one bit.

It's all good. Surely you noted that I did not dispute your critique. It's your opinion, we all like/dislike different things.
I don't try to convince people to like chocolate or Instagram or whatever, they either or they don't. The same is true here.

It is the difference in perspective that can be valuable.

Nov 19 18 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ellard

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

GSin Photography wrote:

Im curious. you dont think its the weakest in his portfolio? which one would you pick in its place?

Obviously this one:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/2784102
I get that it’s an old shot and maybe I’m missing some context to see why you’re keeping it, but the lighting is horrible and the street in the background is distracting.

Hey, being a little harsh can be fun!

Now someone try me!

PS: @Garry K: I like the push up photo, the image is clean, the pose is strong, the model is beautiful, the look on her face is confident and interesting.

Nov 19 18 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Ellard wrote:
Obviously this one:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/2784102
I get that it’s an old shot and maybe I’m missing some context to see why you’re keeping it, but the lighting is horrible and the street in the background is distracting.

Hey, being a little harsh can be fun!

Now someone try me!

PS: @Garry K: I like the push up photo, the image is clean, the pose is strong, the model is beautiful, the look on her face is confident and interesting.

I missed the part where I agreed to let everyone in this thread critique my work - but go for it as I dont mind the attention

Yes the shot you have singled out is quite old as i do keep them in my port for sentimental reasons and to show my progress

But why not pick my oldest shot ( for that matter ) - and the first photo i posted on MM?

( some wanna be model named Coco Rocha )

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/806051

Nov 19 18 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

GSin Photography wrote:

It does not need to be replaced!

Nov 19 18 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:

I missed the part where I agreed to let everyone in this thread critique my work - but go for it as I dont mind the attention

Yes the shot you have singled out is quite old as i do keep them in my port for sentimental reasons and to show my progress

But why not pick my oldest shot ( for that matter ) - and the first photo i posted on MM?

( some wanna be model named Coco Rocha )

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/806051

no way. the pose is strong, the model's eyes are on, good composition. yea lighting and quality are less when you start picking at it technically but the subject and composition grab your attention on this one.

Nov 20 18 04:58 am Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Not in the slightest, I am full growed and stuff.
I looked at every one of your images before choosing. This could have been a nice image but to me it truly fails in ways I noted. Large, garish logos containing unneeded and amateurish design elements become part of your image and not in a good way. Take it how you like but the irony of you calling me butt hurt is pretty amusing in context.

no butt hurt at you not liking a logo or complaints of a pit showing when a model has her arms up, trust me on that. on the other hand, admit i was at least somewhat right in my assessment. you didnt defend the pic on its merits and you DID change it as your calling shot...with one of the best ones in your port i might add.  good move

Nov 20 18 05:06 am Link

Filmmaker

SandoAbraham

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

Let me have it wink

Nov 20 18 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

GSin Photography wrote:

no butt hurt at you not liking a logo or complaints of a pit showing when a model has her arms up, trust me on that. on the other hand, admit i was at least somewhat right in my assessment. you didnt defend the pic on its merits and you DID change it as your calling shot...with one of the best ones in your port i might add.  good move

Thanks. FWIW, I returned to MM 21 days ago after a long time away. I've had six different avatars (calling shot as you call it) in 3 weeks. It's called click farming. The one you dislike has gotten 41 views in just a couple of days so I put up a new one.
Nothing to do with anybody's opinion of anything, I'm sure I'll flip the latest in a few days as well.

Human nature, if you have no clicks and no comments you won't get any. Once you have some then they start rolling in.
I've moved on, you have somebody waiting for you. Cheers!

Nov 20 18 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Ok! big_smile

Nov 21 18 07:42 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I love this kinda holiday spirit  .  .  .  wink  Blast away ifin ya kin narrow it down ta jest one  .  .  .

SOS

Nov 21 18 07:53 am Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

SandoAbraham wrote:
Let me have it wink

this one. Ok, you were on the set. am i to be impressed you know an actor? why is this in your portfolio? it could very well be an iphone candid. although ive seen better WB with iphones...unless these guys are truly orange

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3 … #/44462956

Nov 21 18 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Ok! big_smile

these:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/2 … #/42623194

was my nephew playing with your phone? he found a filter that will do something very similar to this.  i was impressed that he could do that at 8. youre not 8.  what does this tell me about your work? everything about this shot would be more interesting if it was the real shot.

Nov 21 18 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

sospix wrote:
I love this kinda holiday spirit  .  .  .  wink  Blast away ifin ya kin narrow it down ta jest one  .  .  .

SOS

nahhh. lotta good stuff in there. this one falls short of the bar youve set. its like the last shot of a long, tiring shoot, on your way back to the car.  hey, "lets take one more".  you shouldve just gotten back in the car. the lighting is poor, the exposure is off and the haze you inserted in post doesnt add enough to overcome your technique. the pose drew me in. its different. be careful with that point of view. her nostrils are showing and apparently thats a pic killer. wink

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3 … #/38279709

Nov 21 18 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Ok then smile

Nov 21 18 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

GSin Photography wrote:

nahhh. lotta good stuff in there. this one falls short of the bar youve set. its like the last shot of a long, tiring shoot, on your way back to the car.  hey, "lets take one more".  you shouldve just gotten back in the car. the lighting is poor, the exposure is off and the haze you inserted in post doesnt add enough to overcome your technique. the pose drew me in. its different. be careful with that point of view. her nostrils are showing and apparently thats a pic killer. wink

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3 … #/38279709

It was a loooooonnnnnnngggggg walk back to da car, and I really enjoyed workin' with her, had ta git one more  .  .  .  thanks for the look Mr. G  .  .  .  have a great holiday  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Nov 21 18 04:10 pm Link