Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Whipped cream bikini without melting?

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

So, of course whipped cream will melt off the subject... What can be used to simulate the effect and have enough staying power for, say, at least 15 minutes of shooting time? I've read about stabilizing the whipped cream (with gelatin, etc), but would something like shaving cream through a piping bag be just a better substitute?

Jan 08 19 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Or.. ya know.. shoot in a walkin freezer.

I hear the cold has other.. modelling benefits?

big_smile

Jan 08 19 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Mask Photo wrote:
So, of course whipped cream will melt off the subject... What can be used to simulate the effect and have enough staying power for, say, at least 15 minutes of shooting time? I've read about stabilizing the whipped cream (with gelatin, etc), but would something like shaving cream through a piping bag be just a better substitute?

It's called shaving cream.  Wouldn't recommend eating it though.

Jan 08 19 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

Philip Brown wrote:
I hear the cold has other.. modelling benefits?

*sigh* we're going here?

gooseflesh is annoying to retouch and the whipped cream would be covering the entire breast...

Jan 08 19 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Whipped topping for a cake might work better. If it doesn't have to have the same consistency as something that fluffy then maybe the kind of topping you can buy ready made in a can for a cake.

Be sure to shoot somewhere with the facilities to clean it off.

Jan 08 19 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Yep, shaving cream.

Jan 08 19 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

You guys are too young to remember Soupy Sales.  He used to get hit in the face with a "whipped cream" pie on every show. A mother wrote him and complained that there were people starving in the world and he is wasting food. He replied (on the air) that those people can have all the shaving cream pies they wanted.

As stated, use shaving cream.

Jan 09 19 10:35 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

The iconic sixties Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass album "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" was shot primarily with cotton batting covered with shaving cream.

https://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/herb-alperts-tijuana-brass-whipped-cream-and-other-delights-billboard-1548.jpg

Jan 09 19 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

1) Yes, shaving cream will work.
2) You'll have to really scrub afterwards to get the overpowering shaving cream fragrance off.

Jan 09 19 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Gamecock Photography

Sumter, South Carolina, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
You guys are too young to remember Soupy Sales.  He used to get hit in the face with a "whipped cream" pie on every show. A mother wrote him and complained that there were people starving in the world and he is wasting food. He replied (on the air) that those people can have all the shaving cream pies they wanted.

As stated, use shaving cream.

<---*slowly raises his hand 🙋‍♂️. ummm, yes I do remember Soupy Sales 😳🤫.

Jan 12 19 07:38 am Link

Retoucher

BluePhoenixPhotoArts

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

As a digital artist, this is what I would do. Get some shaving cream. Shave with it. It's always good to look professional for a shoot. Then actually get whipped cream. Do not use it for the shoot. Shoot the model nude if she's ok with that. Then find something about the same size and shape as the parts of the model you are covering with whipped cream, chill the items if you can, then shoot those items in the same light as the model with the whipped cream in the right place. Then, assuming you know Photoshop well enough (or you can send the pictures to me if not), cut out the whipped cream, place and shape appropriately on the model to look like she did a shoot with whipped cream. Then you have both whipped cream and nude shots from the same shoot, and the model will likely enjoy eating some of what is actually whipped cream, instead of shaving cream which would taste super nasty if she forgot what it was.

Jan 14 19 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Cantera Image

Orlando, Florida, US

oh wow now seeing this i feel like doing a shoot like it tongue
i did a whipped cream shoot before and it just melted off lol

Jan 19 19 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Shawn Kurt

Sierra Vista, Arizona, US

You can also whip up egg whites and white sugar into a meringue. It will last quite a while, even in warm areas.

Jan 23 19 01:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TheMakeupMan

Los Angeles, California, US

whats cracking me up is not one makeup artist is responding to this post ,  i wonder why lol

Mar 13 19 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Even shaving cream dies if left to long. I recommend an assistant who can help keep things fresh'

I did a mock shoot of the Tijuana Brass album a couple of months back using both whipped cream and shaving cream. I am not claiming that part went without issues but it helps to have all other ducks in a row so the only variable is the cream.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131066814 … ed-public/

Mar 14 19 12:29 am Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

JQuest wrote:
The iconic sixties Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass album "Whipped Cream and Other Delights" was shot primarily with cotton batting covered with shaving cream.

https://www.billboard.com/files/styles/article_main_image/public/media/herb-alperts-tijuana-brass-whipped-cream-and-other-delights-billboard-1548.jpg

okay I see I'm not the only person who thought of this immediately is that mean we're showing our age and it does explain how it was made

Jun 24 19 04:38 pm Link

Body Painter

Sweet Loretta

Sacramento, California, US

Interesting an while I a, late to this thread I am wondering Mask Photo did you every do this concept? 
Sure shaving cream over whipped cream but I consider this an FX makeup effect so I can think of a few other ways too. My main one is  using premade silicone prosthetics that look like real whipped cream, they could even be topped off with shaving cream if one wanted bits of cream here and there. Easy and cheaper than one thinks.
Sweet Loretta

Jul 09 19 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

In my freelance assistant/grip days in Chicago, working for Richard Foster Studios, we had a similar problem in trying to imitate whipped cream for a coffee-industry print-ad in which we wanted to fill a parfait-glass with "whipped cream" having coffee beans mixed in it.

We finally came up with using a can of *Betty Crocker Frosting*. It worked perfectly, and stood up well –even under the hot continuous lighting we were using. In fact, after the shoot we put it up on top of some upper cabinets and promptly forgot about it. Months later we took it down and, though dessicated, it was STILL in perfect visual shape!

[Oyvay, a zombie thread! Have to start looking more closely at these posts.]

Oct 29 19 02:01 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Italian Meringue. You can also add some dye into the spritz bag.

Nov 01 19 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

It's called shaving cream.  Wouldn't recommend eating it though.

QFT

Nov 03 19 09:41 pm Link