Forums > Critique > Help me come back with a bang

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Life got hectic, I got burnt out, focused on sports... so I took some time (lol) off of modeling photography. Im ready to shoot again. Take a look at my work and recommend my next photo shoot. Genre, theme, etc....Not into portraits for fun so none of that. I can return the favor by complimenting your best shot...if youd like. Just let me know.

Dec 17 19 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I would recommend that you start by taking some basic photography classes in order to help you understand what makes for interesting photography

Feel free to critique me if you feel the urge

Dec 18 19 02:33 am Link

Photographer

GSin Photography

Carmel, Indiana, US

Garry k wrote:
I would recommend that you start by taking some basic photography classes in order to help you understand what makes for interesting photography

Feel free to critique me if you feel the urge

i feel the urge, since you want to take it there. so youre saying there isnt one image that is interesting to you in my collection? interesting. are all of yours interesting? even the snap shots?  how about the ones with blown highlights and orange skin tones? or is that the interesting part you chose to do? lol.

Dec 18 19 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

I like this one the most. I like the props and the character it brings. Also the low on the ground perspective. You should do more of this.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090716/08/4a5f4928d2520_m.jpg

This model rocks and the reason I always say the right model can make a good picture even better. Like how it fills the frame.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090718/19/4a6282a93907a_m.jpg

Dec 18 19 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

GSin Photography wrote:
i feel the urge, since you want to take it there. so youre saying there isnt one image that is interesting to you in my collection? interesting. are all of yours interesting? even the snap shots?  how about the ones with blown highlights and orange skin tones? or is that the interesting part you chose to do? lol.

Yes - None of your work sparks any interest in me . Sorry

All of my work is of interest to me - some of it appears of interest to others ( as reflected in the numbers of views . comments . lists etc ) some not  I am fine with that .

Dec 18 19 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

GSin Photography wrote:
Not into portraits for fun so none of that.

Since you asked, I think you should shoot all sorts of "portraits for fun".
I am serious, my best results by far have been from having a fun shoot.

Doesn't mean you can't plan, this is obviously planned. The magnitude of the splash was not planned, it was better than I hoped.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180909/20/5b95ebd40133f_m.jpg

This was not planned at all. Best friends and one was moving away. We had worked together often and never planned anything. I was ready, this took an instant and then it was gone. Kodal P3200 in the camera, back in the fim days. Hence the grain.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/180909/21/5b95ee22f01f9_m.jpg

Find somebody fun, go somewhere interesting and just let things flow. Repeat.

If you would like to critique in return, feel free...

Dec 18 19 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Hi,

Used to live in Indiana for a while, small town west of you called Crawfordsville

On to your portfolio

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110607/07/4dee31b9bb738_m.jpg
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110623/07/4e0349dc35f85_m.jpg

So on a casual observation what is the difference between these two photos.
-    Less tree in one photo compared to the other
-    Models right hand placement
-    Models left elbow pointed at camera in one photo
-    Models right arm too dark in one photo
-    Leg placement
-    Notice how models neck and face are more open to camera in one photo over the other?
Do you see these differences? It looks like your viewers also see the differences, considering how similar the photos are just a few subtle differences; make a big difference in the over all image.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/090610/16/4a3045c9be482_m.jpg
For me this photo comes across as an honest image, a slice of time in the performer’s career

I could see some of your photos benefiting from fill flash, and use of scrims and reflectors outdoors.
Try some outdoor winter shoots, stocking hats warm coats.

I wish you well

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Dec 18 19 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Tammye Nash

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Speaking strictly from my own point of view and based on my own preferences, I would suggest trying some different things with lighting. I thought some of the photos were under-lit, and in others the lighting seemed kind of harsh. I am a fan of strong contrast in some instances, but I also like a softer light and some detail in the darker areas.
I liked the Red Riding Hood theme. Those were pretty creative. In a couple tho, the model's pose seemed awkward and didn't show her at her best angle, I thought.
Just my opinion of course. Please feel free to let me know what you think of my work.

Dec 23 19 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Okay, your avatar the cat is your best image.

So I'd suggest for your next photoshoot with people you go with that approach. Find some nice outdoor area, give the models you've hired the instruction to act like wild animals, release them.

And hunt the most dangerous game (with a camera).

Dec 23 19 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

GSin Photography wrote:
Life got hectic, I got burnt out, focused on sports... so I took some time (lol) off of modeling photography. Im ready to shoot again. Take a look at my work and recommend my next photo shoot. Genre, theme, etc....Not into portraits for fun so none of that. I can return the favor by complimenting your best shot...if youd like. Just let me know.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Garry.
The biggest problem in Model Mayhem as I see it, is that most people don't know what makes a good photograph, or how to execute it.

I would suggest to start by going to the library, looking at books on the history of photography, and understand and identify the elements that make a good picture.

I would follow up with some reading on exposure and lighting. Learn basic three point lighting.

When framing look at foreground, middle-ground and background. Look at compositions not only in good photography, but in painting.

Also, your surfaces are a bit ugly. This is caused by a combination  of bad lighting and bad post. See above.

My recommendations are basically:
-Learn what makes a good picture.
-Get your technique down. Learn how to execute.
-Finally, unleash your imagination. Shoot in ways you've never shot before. Make rules for yourself.
Google Dogme 95's "Vow of Chastity". This relates to moving pictures, but it can easily be applied to photography. It was a big inspiration for me when I started out and was wondering what to do.

Best of luck. Feel free to critique me if you wish,

Jorge

Dec 23 19 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Knoll Photography

Denver, Colorado, US

Pretty sure I'm going to get gutted for this, but I can take it.

Your profile says "As you can tell from my portfolio, Im kind of all over the place with no distinct style" and I think that may be part of the reason you are getting some harsh criticism. You're all over the place. Me, personally, I don't get it. I am all about having fun and being chaotic on a shoot--some of my best images have come from that--but it also helps to reign it in a bit. And while I may come across as somewhat acerbic, I say this in an effort to give you advice in the same way my photography professor did for me: knowing how to do something is irrelevant if you don't know why you're doing it.

I, too, used to post things simply for fun and would alter images because I thought "it would look cool". After two straight low points on my assignments I started to change my mentality. Ditched the prideful "my style is my style" artist mentality and started to listen to what my professor was saying. What the textbook was saying.

Have a point. Have a narrative. Tell a story. Whether you inspire or you offend, do it in such a fashion that someone is unable to look away from your image. Leave them delving deeper into it, wondering what your motivation was behind it and trying to dissect each aspect of it. Not pondering what the purpose of that filter was, because they won't stay too long and they won't remember it after. Awe is acceptable. Anger is acceptable. Indifference is not. 

Ditch the filters, or at least keep them consistent. The Riding Hood was a good concept but some of them have that detail extractor, some of them are normal, there was a blue one...you were obviously going for a theme with the images, so maintain that if you decide to use artistic add-ons. The kid with the guitar. Why is he blurry? It's a dichotomy and not in the good way. It makes it a very soft image, but it isn't soft. His posture, his outfit, the lighting...it's all leaning towards being edgy but then there's this blur that just doesn't fit and goes against everything else we're looking at.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100529/13/4c01764fa22e4_m.jpg

That is your best image. It's straight, there's no weird filter that doesn't fit, it has a narrative. Is it her birthday? Their anniversary? If so, why is she sleeping? Did the other one come home late? There were so many things to wonder with that one image and that, to me, is what makes a great image.

Dec 24 19 12:31 am Link

Photographer

GSG Photography Studio

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't think people are being harsh, You asked for people to " Take a look at your work" I understand life gets Hectic,
But Garry K and Jorge Kreimer make some valid points, But I will say this there are so many Videos on Youtube that will help you with Lighting options that will help make your Photos pop, I think people use cheap Filters to cover up bad photos and then pat themselves on the back as if they did a solid job, truth to the matter people say what you want to hear, and that does not help you grow "You Bloom From where you Bleed".

I watch tutorials on Youtube everyday, if I can Learn one thing and make it shine, then i feel the growth.
Happy 2020 and don't get discouraged. Take the Harsh words you believe to be and make that your motivation.

GsG Photography

Dec 28 19 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Garry k wrote:

Members in this Forum are invited by the OP to critique his work.

How is telling the OP to start by going elsewhere (e.g. classes, read books and/or watch videos) to find out what makes for interesting photography, suitable as a critique.

If you say the OP’s images are uninteresting in comparison to all your images, by their number of views, comments and lists.

Then why won’t you explain to the OP what makes for interesting photography.

For example, your photograph of Brandi https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/37729561 has 32 comments, 4813 views and 21 lists. It is one of your more popular photographs. So please help the OP (and myself) to understand what makes this photograph of a female model doing a push up on a white seamless studio setting, such an interesting and popular photograph.

Dec 28 19 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Camera Buff wrote:
Members in this Forum are invited by the OP to critique his work.

How is telling the OP to start by going elsewhere (e.g. classes, read books and/or watch videos) to find out what makes for interesting photography, suitable as a critique.

If you say the OP’s images are uninteresting in comparison to all your images, by their number of views, comments and lists.

Then why won’t you explain to the OP what makes for interesting photography.

For example, your photograph of Brandi https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/37729561 has 32 comments, 4813 views and 21 lists. It is one of your more popular photographs. So please help the OP (and myself) to understand what makes this photograph of a female model doing a push up on a white seamless studio setting, such an interesting and popular photograph.

Fair enough

I should have explained a bit more ( but thankfully Jorge did )

In My opinion the 3 most important things for a photographer to Learn are Lighting .Composition and Subject

One could take the most interesting Photo imaginable - but if its not lit well enough for people to see it -the effort is wasted .Lighting can also create mood and drama in a photo (edit ) And of course too much light or the wrong kind of light can ruin a photo

Composition of a Photo ( in which i will include placement and posing of the Model ) is what is used to capture the viewers eye . There are certain rules of composition that have been proven to work better than others

Subject of course - Refers to what the Photographer presents as the main feature of the Photograph . It has been said ( in our genre of phootgraphy ) that 80 per cent of the overall quality of the image relates to the Model featured ( as long as the Photographer doesnt mess up the other 20 percent of whats needed for a good photo )

Edit - In this case i am going to add that (in addition to not paying attention to the aforementioned elements needed to make an interesting photography ) the OPS poor sense of (wardrobe ) styling really drags the images down further , His styling in general ranges from the bland to the cheezy ( ie Little Red Riding Hood )

So why does my Brandi Photo Work ? 

Well in my opinion - its because the Photo features a Beautiful and Well Toned Model ( She was a top agency Model in my city for a number of Years )- and  its further eyecatching that she is nude but the shot retains an element of mystery as it is in reality - implied nudity . The Compostion and Pose are fairly strong - inviting the viewers eyes to first view her face and then travel down her angled body to her toes ... And of course it is lit well to capture all of the above

However in critiquing the photo - I do see faults with it ie the focusing could have been better on certain parts of her body ,

Some day  I plan to do a Blond Version of this Photo - when I am able to find the right Model - and I am hopeful the resulting shot will turn out better

Dec 28 19 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

I find most of your shots distracting and difficult to find a story.  Some of them had potential that I feel was lost in your post production work.  Everyone develops a style and if you are happy with the work you are producing then that’s great.  But since you are asking for input I assume you are wanting to know what to do to get wider acclaim.

I don’t see from looking at your work that you understand lighting and composition but choose to bend the rules to create something that you see in your mine.   It all seems rather random as though you sometimes get lucky and other times just not so much.

IMHO the mountain lion is your best shot but your watermark across the center of it ruins it for the viewer.  It seems odd to put that image in your portfolio and then be offended that people are commenting on it.  Take it out if that is a problem.

From your responses to others offering critique you seem to have thin skin.  It is hard to get better if you can’t take critique.

Dec 28 19 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

I think to do a series in the snow makes sense for you given that one image that I thought looks good was on a sofa outdoors. Thinking carefully about the background, doing such a series plays to your strengths. Good luck

Dec 28 19 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

GSin, why has this shot been in your port for 7 years?  People question your photo competency based on what you are showing.  My advice, pare your port down to your best 10-12 shots and then start shooting new work.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/1 … 496b79.jpg

Dec 29 19 07:10 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Thanks Garry K, for your second and more informative critique.

I now better understand how important the selection of model and pose becomes when photographing a model in a studio against a seamless white background. (Especially when the model is also posed in the nude.)

Dec 29 19 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Camera Buff wrote:
Thanks Garry K, for your second and more informative critique.

I now better understand how important the selection of model and pose becomes when photographing a model in a studio against a seamless white background. (Especially when the model is also posed in the nude.)

If White Backgrounds were good enough for Gianni Versace - they are good enough for me ( and i will cite him as an important early influence on my photography )

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5617f1ffe4b0fa1f116f3467/1500292213372-A8PCR2K7VFFE5NYVVXQ0/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kIHKBCMgz58Dk-Bxa5oJAo9Zw-zPPgdn4jUwVcJE1ZvWQUxwkmyExglNqGp0IvTJZamWLI2zvYWH8K3-s_4yszcp2ryTI0HqTOaaUohrI8PIYtS-tn51mePaeN6FVbrxrmIJlY4htqXaFnX5AkSMN-4KMshLAGzx4R3EDFOm1kBS/image-asset.jpeg?format=1000w

Clothes have thier benefits in Fashion Photography but they also have their drawbacks ( even if they are the top fashions ) as an image can be dated by the viewer ( and that is not always a good thing say for a fashion photographer whose images feature fashions several years out of fashion ) A Photograph of a Clotheless Fashion Model can appear more timeless ( think Helmut Newton )

Dec 29 19 10:28 pm Link