Forums > Photography Talk > Looking for clients

Photographer

Luksup

Highland Park, New Jersey, US

Hi everyone! My name is Lukasz and I am an experienced photog shooting for about 5 years now. Looking for new clients so I can start up my photography business. I am willing to work with both new and experienced models who need to update their portfolio. My rates are reasonable and available on my website at www.luksupphoto.com. Feel free to get in touch and lets create some beautiful imagery.

Sep 12 21 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I certainly hope posting in a photographers forum looking for models willing to pay you is not your marketing plan,  it will not work out if you are trying to actually start a business.   MM is probably the last place anyone would look to book a photographer.   You might get some TFP work here, at best.   

Marketing is the hardest part, and to do it successfully costs some money.   Hopefully less that the money it brings you.

Sep 12 21 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Before you even think of starting up a photography business, you should get a job working in an established photography business first !

Learning how to take pictures (and your eye is good from what I see), has little to do with running a business or soliciting and pleasing clients. The best way to learn is to work for others and watch what they do (with your mouth shut).

Most of the best photographers that are working today, started off as assistants to established photographers. It takes years to learn the business of how to get work, and whats required legally to have a business. 
The photography part is easy. It's the business end that takes time to learn and understand.

There are lots of good cooks that make wonderful meals . . . that doesn't mean anything when it comes to owning your own restaurant and having to pay employees, rent, finances and figuring out food costs.

In business, a very important element to being successful is making the right 'first impression'. You'll be dealing with people that know business, but may not have the same artistic sense that you have. How will you know what to do or say to make the right impression, if you don't work around people that are successful at running a photography business?

If you want to be successful, do what successful people do . . . go get a job where you can learn from someone like that, and follow in their footsteps.

Sep 13 21 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posting on a subforum on ModelMayhem that has a global reach, but realistically only a small handful of photographers glance at, isn't going to get you far.

Edison, NJ is only an hour from New York city. Did you consider perhaps marketing yourself in the NYC market? (I used to live in Edison; around the corner from Bishop Ahr HS before the name change.). Even though I am now in the midwest, I still do book in NY. I was just there a month ago.

Point is, target your advertising to the market you serve. An Availability Notice here would do you more good than a forum post.

Sep 15 21 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Hi Luksup,

First step. Decide what market you are going to shoot for.  Who is your dream client?  Cheerios.  Ford Trucks.  GQ Magazine,  Sea World, wedding venues, soccer moms, etc.  Study that genre.  Gather intel.  Where are they based?  Who is their ad agency?  What do their existing photos look like?  How do you put your images in front of them?  What media do they look at?

Second step.  Shoot portfolio tests aimed to get the attention of that dream client.  MM casting calls area is a good place to find models for TFP tests to build toward that killer portfolio. 

Step three.  Make marketing materials - website, business card. etc. - that demonstrates your expertise in that genre and shows your best work.

Step four.  (This never ends.)  Every part of your business should reflect your competency, your understanding of their market, and your good taste.  Little things take on a big significance.  Do you answer your phone and return calls quickly?  Do you understand the jargon of your specialty market.  (ex: If you want to shoot sports, can you talk intelligently about sports?)  Do you make things smooth and easy for the client?  Do you have a network of crew members your can call on to form a team for your next project?  Do you have insurance?  Do you deliver your photos promptly and meet the client's specs?  Do you keep good records?

Good luck in your quest.

Sep 25 21 07:41 am Link