Forums > Photography Talk > Backdrop Question?

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

I moved recently and got a huge apartment and set up a home studio. I bought a high quality frame for the backdrops and have 3 10x20s.
Question: how to get the cloth to come down to the floor and then make a 90 degree turn to change into the floor?

Sep 24 21 07:05 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

DeanLautermilch wrote:
I moved recently and got a huge apartment and set up a home studio. I bought a high quality frame for the backdrops and have 3 10x20s.
Question: how to get the cloth to come down to the floor and then make a 90 degree turn to change into the floor?

it's usually just a soft curve

Sep 24 21 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Use as many pieces of gaffer tape as necessary to keep the portion on the floor from shifting.

Re the soft curve: Models tend to back into the wall, pulling on the backdrop and possibly bending the crosspiece of the frame.

Sep 24 21 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

are they constant tone? textured? scenic?

I personally have different techniques for each

Sep 24 21 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Storytelling-Images

Port Charlotte, Florida, US

DeanLautermilch wrote:

You can also run a stretched, taunt dark cord or wire along the floor where you want your 90-degree bend. Slip the backdrop under that and then it's easy to get rid of the wire in post. You might be able to attach the cord/wire between the backdrop stands.

Sep 25 21 08:23 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

So many options, I will list a few below.

As mentioned, let it curve and transition to the floor.
Let it fall like a wall and utilize the natural flooring.
Use two crossbars at the floor to give a 90 degree angle at the floor.
Let it fall naturally and have a wrinkled effect at the floor.
Mount it sideways and make look like the corner of two walls.

Sep 25 21 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

If you don't like a hard 90 degree angle where the wall meets the floor,  use a rolled paper background instead of cloth. the paper background can more easily shaped to look llike an infinity wall than cloth.

Sep 25 21 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

On many occasions, I have used a length of floor molding that runs from one side of the backdrop to the other (12')

Depending upon the cloth backdrop and the look that I'm going for, I will paint the molding white, black, or whatever works.

The effect is that of a real solid wall, with appropriate floor molding and a similar colored floor. Because the floor cloth reflects light differently than the vertical hanging cloth, it creates a more realistic contrast from 'floor to wall'. The molding gives it a better sense of realism.

Sep 25 21 04:56 pm Link