login info join!
Forums > Events > Outside US > Oct 13 / 2013 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot' / Cabo & PV Search   Reply
first1234567last
Photographer
TouchofEleganceStudios
Posts: 5,048
Upland, California, US


David Lumen Photography wrote:
@ Ruben, Step Above

I didn't mean to imply that you personally didn't know your lighting, nor how to choose a model.  Your post provided an opportunity to share information with others.

Shooting conditions tend to be extreme at times.  Some seasoned photographers even had problems with the sun on the first beach shoot, and some stopped shooting altogether.  The cruiseship also offered a lot of great available light shots also...shots best done with a fast lens and no flash.

Also...in over 30 years of photography, I had never shot a model in front of a sunset, as we rarely see them in the Seattle area.  The cruise was the first sunset opportunity for me, and I'll be finding ways to shoot them before the next cruise.

Oh darn it. I was so sure that you were putting my work down....ha ha

I was simply reponding to what you said because anyone can use a little improvement ... even me smile

Sep 25 12 10:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TouchofEleganceStudios
Posts: 5,048
Upland, California, US


David Lumen Photography wrote:
@ Ruben, Step Above

I didn't mean to imply that you personally didn't know your lighting, nor how to choose a model.  Your post provided an opportunity to share information with others.

Shooting conditions tend to be extreme at times.  Some seasoned photographers even had problems with the sun on the first beach shoot, and some stopped shooting altogether.  The cruiseship also offered a lot of great available light shots also...shots best done with a fast lens and no flash.

Also...in over 30 years of photography, I had never shot a model in front of a sunset, as we rarely see them in the Seattle area.  The cruise was the first sunset opportunity for me, and I'll be finding ways to shoot them before the next cruise.

Another note David. Please don't shoot the models. Some of us might want to work with them sometime.  Besides the Police might be nearby.  smile

Sep 25 12 10:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob-W
Posts: 170
Simi Valley, California, US


"Shooting" in full sunlight is a challenge even with a large speedlight. I prefer the reflector if someone can hold it, but models don't like the constant intensity.
My camera doesn't support high speed sync. Does anyone think HSS is valuable?
Sep 25 12 10:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Jason Becker
Posts: 2,817
Mount Holly, North Carolina, US


Select Models wrote:
Here's one new addition I've added to the original post that wasn't included in the Sept 2nd Cruiseboat Photoshoot... something added to the 'attendion interested models' section... wink

If you are a model who has serious issues about giving away release rights to images of you captured BY ANY PHOTOGRAPHER during these 4 scheduled groupshoot events, even as enticing as this free cruise offer may be, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS EVENT!

This addition has been added to eliminate any possible confrontation that may arise between models and photographers possibily arguing over release rights after the event is over... wink

i like that addition gary ...  models should have no reason to complain considering there trip is being paid for... i mean the least they could do is let some photographers take a few shots of them ...  keep up the great work as u always do

Sep 25 12 10:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Jason Becker
Posts: 2,817
Mount Holly, North Carolina, US


Step Above Photography wrote:
I have really been looking forward to one of these shoots and after looking at results from previous shoots there are 3 main qualifications that I am looking for in my choice of models.

I am willing to pay her/their fair and no matter what the cruise costs she should know that not only is she for her ticket getting the chance to shoot with me but with all the other photographers. I want a model who is not going to talk about the money but instead knows what she is getting. By agreeing she is also implying that she is on the same page. 


1. Most important is her personality. No drama queens.

2. More than anything I want to get breathtaking photos. My plan is that I have one year till this cruise and even though I consider myself a very talented photographer I have one year to become much more. I want models and photographers to say "wow, your work is amazing." So, I am looking for models who can bring it. Maybe you are like I am now so how about we work to be much better between now and then. That is the model I want. And let me clarify I am not stating work with me between now and then.

3. I want 2 models, models that like me want more than a cruise and lots of pics. I want models that really want amazing photos to add to thier portfolios.

ruben i like the way ur thinking ahead.  and i will deff give u some advice as well since i have done my fair share of traveling with models.  just dont look for the most popular model or well known.  look for one that u really truly want to work with.  also yes it is a good idea to maybe work with them at least once or twice before the cruise so u can see how u two mesh.  i feel for something like this u really need a model that knows how to pose and is up for a challenge.  its not easy to get a new model and tell her to go over there and start posing.  u will deff want someone with experience and able to almost read ur mind as in posing.  hope that lil info was a lil helpful

hopefully i can find some one who wants to share a cabin quick style so the rates r cheap enough to book.  considering i am living on the east coast now i will need to purchase a plane ticket.

Sep 25 12 10:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob-W
Posts: 170
Simi Valley, California, US


I think the cheapest rooms have gone up in price to $449
Sep 25 12 11:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Stone Imaging
Posts: 508
Seattle, Washington, US


David Lumen Photography wrote:
@ Ruben, Step Above

I didn't mean to imply that you personally didn't know your lighting, nor how to choose a model.  Your post provided an opportunity to share information with others.

Shooting conditions tend to be extreme at times.  Some seasoned photographers even had problems with the sun on the first beach shoot, and some stopped shooting altogether.  The cruiseship also offered a lot of great available light shots also...shots best done with a fast lens and no flash.

Also...in over 30 years of photography, I had never shot a model in front of a sunset, as we rarely see them in the Seattle area.  The cruise was the first sunset opportunity for me, and I'll be finding ways to shoot them before the next cruise.
Step Above Photography wrote:
Oh darn it. I was so sure that you were putting my work down....ha ha

I was simply reponding to what you said because anyone can use a little improvement ... even me smile

I'll buy ya a drink on that one...and can tell with your sense of humor we will likely be sharing quite a few before the cruise is over with!  Too bad it is soooo far away now.

Sep 25 12 11:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Stone Imaging
Posts: 508
Seattle, Washington, US


Bob-W wrote:
"Shooting" in full sunlight is a challenge even with a large speedlight. I prefer the reflector if someone can hold it, but models don't like the constant intensity.
My camera doesn't support high speed sync. Does anyone think HSS is valuable?

I suppose you had to be there to fully appreciate the challenges of that mid-day Mexican sun.  I ended up mostly shooting at 250 sec, f8-f11, 100 ISO, and TTL flash within 30 feet using a 24-70 tele. I did not get the bokeh I wanted, so the models were often "part of the background." I've been able to fix some of this in Photoshop, but that really isn't the answer.

Bob, if you can get HSS to work with your system...the way I understand it...along with your speedlight...I think you will be able to open up your f-stop and get great images that will jump out of the frame given the background bokeh that you will also get.  That is, if I understand how HSS would work with your system.  I shoot Nikon. smile

Sep 26 12 12:28 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Envii
Posts: 6
Ontario, California, US


Very interested in going to this event.

Any photographers want to sponsor wink
Sep 26 12 12:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob-W
Posts: 170
Simi Valley, California, US


David Lumen Photography wrote:
I suppose you had to be there to fully appreciate the challenges of that mid-day Mexican sun.  I ended up mostly shooting at 250 sec, f8-f11, 100 ISO, and TTL flash within 30 feet using a 24-70 tele. I did not get the bokeh I wanted, so the llamas were often "part of the background." I've been able to fix some of this in Photoshop, but that really isn't the answer.

Bob, if you can get HSS to work with your system...the way I understand it...along with your speedlight...I think you will be able to open up your f-stop and get great images that will jump out of the frame given the background bokeh that you will also get.  That is, if I understand how HSS would work with your system.  I shoot Nikon. smile

My Nikon D500 doesn't have it so I was wondering if that is good reason to buy the D600. I would need an HSS speedlight too. The local guys seem to use ring-lights and power packs. Unless Maxim or National Geographic is paying the bills, that is not a feasible option.
I used a variable Neutral Density filter to get my aperture to f4 or so. Then I had to run the big speed-light at full power. I got some DOF separation but I didn't feel in control.

Sep 26 12 06:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TouchofEleganceStudios
Posts: 5,048
Upland, California, US


David Lumen Photography wrote:

David Lumen Photography wrote:
@ Ruben, Step Above

I didn't mean to imply that you personally didn't know your lighting, nor how to choose a model.  Your post provided an opportunity to share information with others.

Shooting conditions tend to be extreme at times.  Some seasoned photographers even had problems with the sun on the first beach shoot, and some stopped shooting altogether.  The cruiseship also offered a lot of great available light shots also...shots best done with a fast lens and no flash.

Also...in over 30 years of photography, I had never shot a model in front of a sunset, as we rarely see them in the Seattle area.  The cruise was the first sunset opportunity for me, and I'll be finding ways to shoot them before the next cruise.

I'll buy ya a drink on that one...and can tell with your sense of humor we will likely be sharing quite a few before the cruise is over with!  Too bad it is soooo far away now.

David, I think of it this way sure it is a long way ahead and things can change so getting models to commit this early will not be easy. But, when you look at the positive side as I do it gives you more time to get to choose the right model/models for you like Jason says. I do say to Jason though that I can think of 3 models that were new when I first met them and they were naturals, followed directions better than some pros because they were more open to my ideas. I am excited about the coming year and the opportunities.

Sep 26 12 10:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TouchofEleganceStudios
Posts: 5,048
Upland, California, US


David Lumen Photography wrote:

David Lumen Photography wrote:
@ Ruben, Step Above

I didn't mean to imply that you personally didn't know your lighting, nor how to choose a model.  Your post provided an opportunity to share information with others.

Shooting conditions tend to be extreme at times.  Some seasoned photographers even had problems with the sun on the first beach shoot, and some stopped shooting altogether.  The cruiseship also offered a lot of great available light shots also...shots best done with a fast lens and no flash.

Also...in over 30 years of photography, I had never shot a model in front of a sunset, as we rarely see them in the Seattle area.  The cruise was the first sunset opportunity for me, and I'll be finding ways to shoot them before the next cruise.

I'll buy ya a drink on that one...and can tell with your sense of humor we will likely be sharing quite a few before the cruise is over with!  Too bad it is soooo far away now.

I will take a shot of cognac at Ruth Chris Restuarant. Only $150 a half shot when I turned 50 in 1999. Friggin great drink though. Loved it. Not sure how much it costs today there.

Sep 26 12 10:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Stone Imaging
Posts: 508
Seattle, Washington, US


LOL...If there is one of those steak houses on board...you're on.  Otherwise...what I had in mind was a cheap $12 drink on my all-you-can-drink card on board...in which case I'd have to order for me and then give it to you.  But that's OK...I see you have a taste for good ole grandfather deadbeat humor!
Sep 26 12 11:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jacqueline MH
Posts: 73
Anaheim, California, US


I would love to be at this one! wink
Sep 27 12 04:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yani S
Posts: 829
Los Angeles, California, US


Jason Becker wrote:

ruben i like the way ur thinking ahead.  and i will deff give u some advice as well since i have done my fair share of traveling with models.  just dont look for the most popular model or well known.  look for one that u really truly want to work with.  also yes it is a good idea to maybe work with them at least once or twice before the cruise so u can see how u two mesh.  i feel for something like this u really need a model that knows how to pose and is up for a challenge.  its not easy to get a new model and tell her to go over there and start posing.  u will deff want someone with experience and able to almost read ur mind as in posing.  hope that lil info was a lil helpful

hopefully i can find some one who wants to share a cabin quick style so the rates r cheap enough to book.  considering i am living on the east coast now i will need to purchase a plane ticket.

#1 Reason I had a my photo shoot contest! Filter out the drama queens and make sure everything was said before hand so the model new everything I knew before she agreed! Easier to tell someone face to face and see it in their eyes that they understood!
And some thought I was crazy to have my Photo Contest! LoL

Sep 27 12 07:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob-W
Posts: 170
Simi Valley, California, US


Yani S wrote:

#1 Reason I had a my photo shoot contest! Filter out the drama queens and make sure everything was said before hand so the model new everything I knew before she agreed! Easier to tell someone face to face and see it in their eyes that they understood!
And some thought I was crazy to have my Photo Contest! LoL

Yanni, I thought WTF just pick someone when I read about your contest, but now it seems like a good idea.

Sep 27 12 08:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yani S
Posts: 829
Los Angeles, California, US


Bob-W wrote:

Yanni, I thought WTF just pick someone when I read about your contest, but now it seems like a good idea.

All good Bob. I get WTF? a lot when I tell people my ideas. Then after I come through with my mad schemes. Well...their still like WTF!!! How did you do that? Hahaha

Sep 27 12 09:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Stone Imaging
Posts: 508
Seattle, Washington, US


Yani S wrote:
#1 Reason I had a my photo shoot contest! Filter out the drama queens and make sure everything was said before hand so the model new everything I knew before she agreed! Easier to tell someone face to face and see it in their eyes that they understood!
And some thought I was crazy to have my Photo Contest! LoL

Where can I read about this contest?

This sponsorship thing does raise the question about "what is a reasonable amount of time that a sponsoring photographer should spend with his model(s) during group shoots?"  It seems some photographers used up a lot of group time with their models, which means other photographers didn't get a chance to photograph them.

Sep 27 12 10:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yani S
Posts: 829
Los Angeles, California, US


David Lumen Photography wrote:

Where can I read about this contest?

This sponsorship thing does raise the question about "what is a reasonable amount of time that a sponsoring photographer should spend with his model(s) during group shoots?"  It seems some photographers used up a lot of group time with their models, which means other photographers didn't get a chance to photograph them.

Every model I asked was willing to shoot! Every model was extremely busy but I waited till I saw an opening and asked. Some photographers asked me if they could jump in and shoot with me which was cool. I even teamed up with one photographer and we took turns holding a reflextor for each other!
I know I tolled my model to go around and shoot with as many photographers as she could. I wanted her to build up her portfolio too! I even had photographers come up to me and said it if she was shooting. I said YES please just go ask her! She nice!
I had photographers come to my cabin and shoot to or hang out and take the models to go shoot! All good! Everyone seemed happy! big_smile

Sep 27 12 11:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob-W
Posts: 170
Simi Valley, California, US


I had trouble finding an available model during the first Morocco room shoot. I couldn't even find my sponsored model. There seemed to be a lot of models collaborating together thus depleting the model supply. I did get to shoot with Lika right away but then it went downhill.
The Morocco room seemed like eye candy, but now looking at my pics it seems the background was too distracting.
Sep 28 12 12:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,106
Upland, California, US


Bob-W wrote:
The Morocco room seemed like eye candy, but now looking at my pics it seems the background was too distracting.

To me... the Morocco Room WAS eye candy... AND... if you didn't throw the background out of focus with a short depth of field... it had the potential to be distracting.  Capturing great images in that room had alot to do with effective use of the available light... and flattering composition... wink

Shodire... reposing in the Morocco Room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/Sho303.jpg

Suzy at the bar in the Morocco Room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/Suzy2.jpg

Celine... playing with pearls in the Morocco Room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/Celine9.jpg

Chanel in the window light of the Morocco Room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/GaryAbigt/Chanel53.jpg

Sep 28 12 12:13 am  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Jason Becker
Posts: 2,817
Mount Holly, North Carolina, US


just so everyone on here knows i am looking at getting the room with either the extended balcony or the premium cuz sorry no need for the suite cuz im not planning on being in there much ... 

but i will say this i will be on board available to do hair and make up for a fair price of course  wink  and no im not taking alcohol as payment   8)
Sep 28 12 03:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark G Bissell
Posts: 435
Wyckoff, New Jersey, US


Yani S wrote:
Hahaha already! wink
Maybe I won't wait till the last min. and pay top dollar this time!

Yani you may have waited until the last minute yet happy you joined us on the trip.

Now we all also know something about the planning stages and what needs to be accomplished to have a successful trip.

Sep 28 12 03:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Tina Marie Desaro
Posts: 567
Los Angeles, California, US


Yani S wrote:

Every model I asked was willing to shoot! Every model was extremely busy but I waited till I saw an opening and asked. Some photographers asked me if they could jump in and shoot with me which was cool. I even teamed up with one photographer and we took turns holding a reflextor for each other!
I know I tolled my model to go around and shoot with as many photographers as she could. I wanted her to build up her portfolio too! I even had photographers come up to me and said it if she was shooting. I said YES please just go ask her! She nice!
I had photographers come to my cabin and shoot to or hang out and take the models to go shoot! All good! Everyone seemed happy! big_smile

You were great to work with, I would recommend you to anyone and I wish we could had shot more and I like your ideas smile

Sep 28 12 04:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob-W
Posts: 170
Simi Valley, California, US


Gary, yes the DOF was key to the Morroco room. I do have some with blurred background and they are my best. It's another lesson for me.
I got some advice prior to the trip but I got caught up in moment and forgot to shoot the models low to the ground at the beach to get the sand and surf reflection. I got some great standing shots but next time I want more low shots.
Sep 28 12 08:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,106
Upland, California, US


Bob-W wrote:
Gary, yes the DOF was key to the Morroco room. I do have some with blurred background and they are my best. It's another lesson for me.
I got some advice prior to the trip but I got caught up in moment and forgot to shoot the models low to the ground at the beach to get the sand and surf reflection. I got some great standing shots but next time I want more low shots.

Hey Bob... coolbeans... I'm planning a Oct 13th shoot at the beach and posting details tonight on my MM page.  Hope to work with ya in the near future... wink

Sep 28 12 01:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,106
Upland, California, US


becerrasphotography wrote:
This one I definitely will be on, I will pick a model to sponsor on this cruise .

Cool... can't wait to see your selection... wink

Oct 01 12 06:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
F-stop Jonny
Posts: 92
BOISE, Idaho, US


Bob-W wrote:
Gary, yes the DOF was key to the Morroco room.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I don't even see a room in this picture wink

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534348_429660467092443_175089445_n.jpg

Oct 03 12 12:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yani S
Posts: 829
Los Angeles, California, US


Tina Marie Desaro wrote:

You were great to work with, I would recommend you to anyone and I wish we could had shot more and I like your ideas smile

Thanks Tina!!!
Had fun Photographing you! More images are coming!!!

Oct 03 12 03:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yani S
Posts: 829
Los Angeles, California, US


Mark G Bissell wrote:

Yani you may have waited until the last minute yet happy you joined us on the trip.

Now we all also know something about the planning stages and what needs to be accomplished to have a successful trip.

Thanks Mark! better late then never right!

Oct 03 12 03:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,106
Upland, California, US


F-stop Jonny wrote:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I don't even see a room in this picture wink

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534348_429660467092443_175089445_n.jpg

lol

Oct 04 12 10:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,106
Upland, California, US


A different ship... a different group... some different guidelines... alittle cooler and different weather.  And although it was a raging success in my book... this cruiseboat shoot will showcase many differences between it and the Sept 2nd 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot'... viva la difference... borat
Oct 05 12 04:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Stone Imaging
Posts: 508
Seattle, Washington, US


Select Models wrote:
A different ship... a different group... some different guidelines... alittle cooler and different weather.  And although it was a raging success in my book... this cruiseboat shoot will showcase many differences between it and the Sept 2nd 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot'... viva la difference... borat

Yes...it was definitely a raging success!  Enough so that I am planning on going this next time...and do hope to see some of the "veteran" models and photographers return.

Any changes that get everyone introduced early on...as well as those that address reasonable expectations...would definitely ensure another raging success.

Oct 06 12 12:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Stone Imaging
Posts: 508
Seattle, Washington, US


(Double post)
Oct 06 12 01:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,106
Upland, California, US


David Lumen Photography wrote:
Any changes that get everyone introduced early on...as well as those that address reasonable expectations...would definitely ensure another raging success.

Yep... definitely gonna work on that... wink

Oct 06 12 07:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,106
Upland, California, US


Read 'ATTENTION EVERYONE ATTENDING'... as I have just made a groupshoot format change that WILL be inforced during the groupshoots scheduled... wink
Oct 06 12 08:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,106
Upland, California, US


Great news on this event... double occupancy price has just gone DOWN to $332 per person... so find your models guys... time for another fun-filled partyin cruiseshoot... borat
Oct 10 12 01:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob Roth
Posts: 443
Rowland Heights, California, US


Yikes!  My busiest time of year!

Good thing you gave me a year to figure out how to make it all fit.

From the LONG  thread and comments about your last one, it looks like these cruises are great from every aspect.
Oct 12 12 09:10 am  Link  Quote 
Model
kenneth kussman
Posts: 4
Los Angeles, California, US


Post hidden on Oct 12, 2012 12:25 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
spam is the people's enemy
Oct 12 12 11:28 am  Link 
Model
ShelleyLynne
Posts: 132
Calgary, Alberta, Canada


fun fun on Carnival Splendor Group Shoot/Cruise in Sept...THANK YOU Eric!! Love it!! Had so much fun shooting this!!!!!

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q84/shelita3/CruiseandLA019_zps85d69908.jpg

xoxox ShelleyLynne
Oct 13 12 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
first1234567last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers