login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Any Web Hosting Recommendations? Search   Reply
Photographer
BlueMoonPics
Posts: 3,983
New York, New York, US


I've finally got a domain name registered and am looking into web hosting services.
I just want to park my images there and make it look professional.
I don't need anything fancy like e-commerce at this time.  I can write my own HTML to a certain extent and am familiar with CSS and javascript.  It's been many years but I think I can still remember some of it and get up to speed on the rest.

Can anyone recommend a good hosting service?
Jan 03 13 07:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJScalzitti
Posts: 12,300
Atlanta, Georgia, US


I use justhost.  Inexpensive and I have control of the virtual host.
Jan 03 13 07:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Untitled Photographer
Posts: 1,179
Dallas, Texas, US


I have a few sites on Hostgator. I've used others, including Godaddy, and I've been very pleased with the support and service from Hostgator. I can't imagine ever leaving Hostgator.
Jan 03 13 08:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,566
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Untitled Photographer wrote:
I have a few sites on Hostgator. I've used others, including Godaddy, and I've been very pleased with the support and service from Hostgator. I can't imagine ever leaving Hostgator.

Dittos on this. Godaddy hosting is beyond shitty. While I like their customer service the back-end system they use for hosting is not very good. You want a hosting company that supports CPanel, which is a much better way to manage your hosting.

The only company I'd suggest you avoid is BlueHost. If you even have so much as a bikini photo on there that looks "suggesting" they flag it as porn and suspend your account (the company is based in Utah).

Jan 03 13 09:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffries Photography
Posts: 117
Long Beach, California, US


I use 1and1, I have worked with several others including host gator and godaddy. I still like 1and1 the best. I always resort back to them. Although, host gator wasnt bad when I did some work for someone using their server.
Jan 03 13 09:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ken Fields Photography
Posts: 144
Wailuku, Hawaii, US


I use and like inmotionhosting.com
Jan 03 13 11:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,409
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


I use Hostgator and Godaddy. I would recommend both.
Jan 03 13 11:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M K
Posts: 251
Athens, Attikí, Greece


check the clikpic.com site, I 've got  a site and it is very easyto use, no programming needed and it is specific for photographers..
Jan 03 13 11:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SCAM Photography
Posts: 958
Mansfield, Ohio, US


I use host monster and I have no complaints!
Jan 03 13 11:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Robert Feliciano
Posts: 489
New York, New York, US


I outgrew Yahoo 10 years ago. I went to Lunar Pages for a while (they've gone downhill). I left them for In-Motion Hosting. So far so good, it's only been a couple of months.
Jan 03 13 04:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhillipM
Posts: 6,277
Martin, Tennessee, US


I use Ipage.com
Jan 03 13 04:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
chasecaleb
Posts: 154
Kansas City, Missouri, US


I also use Host Gator. Works great for me, not a single complaint, and they have great customer service.
Jan 03 13 05:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RONALD NZ TAN
Posts: 2,378
San Francisco, California, US


Vote for 1and1.

I have been using the service since 2007. During the time, I wanted to see what else is good. I find myself calling 1&1 to ask them to reactive my account and bill me for another year. I always pick the annual option.

Other good sites I have used are:

DreamHost is good. Their backend is kind of confusing. Once you "learn" how to do things like sub-domains or enter TXT records or change A-records . . . piece of cake!

The cPanel is graphical and intuitive. I would recommend if you like or are used to cPanel, find a host that uses the cPanel backend.

REALLY look into and research on the helpfulness of the customer service and technical support. If you need to configure something, they should walk over the steps over to you on the phone. Almost always, the web companies off-shores their customer service and technical support.

As long as they can help me, I didn't care whether the call center was in India or the Philippines. If they understand me and I understand them, SUPERB!
Jan 03 13 05:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RONALD NZ TAN
Posts: 2,378
San Francisco, California, US


IPage and FatCow are owned by the same company. The makes them "sister companies."

I also know that BlueHost and HostMonster are sister companies.

PhillipM wrote:
I use Ipage.com

Jan 03 13 05:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Trisha Bowyer
Posts: 1,311
Martinsburg, West Virginia, US


I do a bit of web design on the side and am usually stuck with the hosts they have so I have used a lot from godaddy, hostgator,  gate and their sister company and loads more. The support for all of them have been poor to OMG I want to punch you in the face. The only hosting site I will work with now is hungerhost. You talk to the same tech every time and he literally knows everything. And it doesn't hurt that it's also fast and pretty cheap.

Good luck.
Jan 03 13 06:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dream-foto
Posts: 4,352
Chico, California, US


http://www.bargainvault.com/

just $11.40 a year !

I've used them for about 6 years and never had a problem. Support is via email. It's just hosting, you need to design and upload your own code. cPanel for control.
Jan 03 13 06:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jonathan Ocab
Posts: 580
Riverside, California, US


I went from Hurricane Electric to Dreamhost to Bluehost to Dreamhost since 2000.

I finally got fed up with shared hosting and went to a VPS with Linode a couple months ago. $20 a month for a VPS and I don't have to worry about performance lag because of the other sites I'm sharing hosting with.

That said, Hurricane Electric was the best shared hosting company I was with. They're actually pretty expensive compared to other companies (now $25 a month), but HE literally has far better performance and uptime than anyone. Plus, their backbone is solid.

I would seriously recommend considering a VPS. With Linode, you can choose from six different datacenters where your VPS will reside. Lighting up a new VPS image only takes a few minutes. You get both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for your VPS instance. It seriously only took me about 2 hours to bring up a Centos VPS, get LAMP setup and migrate all my data over from dreamhost (htdocs and mysql databases). Then the next few days was simple tweaking of the server to maximize resource utilization.

http://www.linode.com
Jan 04 13 07:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,941
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Jeffries Photography wrote:
I use 1and1, I have worked with several others including host gator and godaddy. I still like 1and1 the best. I always resort back to them. Although, host gator wasnt bad when I did some work for someone using their server.

Does 1&1 allow nudes?

Jan 04 13 07:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Must See Studios
Posts: 97
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Dan K Photography wrote:
I use Hostgator and Godaddy. I would recommend both.

Sorry if this thread is a little old, but I would not recommend GoDaddy or Hostgator. GoDaddy Domains are too expensive and Hostgator puts 100's of accounts per server so you can get very slow performance if the other sites are very busy. They don't seem to load balance very well. I've been with multiple companies over the years.

I recommend www.quickstartdomains.com.

Their domains are cheap and hosting is pretty decent. JMO I've never liked GoDaddy and their stupid commercials. LOL

Feb 22 13 01:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Must See Studios
Posts: 97
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Does 1&1 allow nudes?

Maybe but I know they don't allow pornographic material, at least they didn't. Not that I shoot it, but what I've been told.

Feb 22 13 01:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andrew Thomas Evans
Posts: 23,999
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


I'm with Green Geeks, haven't had any complaints yet.




Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com
Feb 22 13 01:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BorninSF
Posts: 139
San Francisco, California, US


Just a forewarning, if you use 1and1, keep your CC information up-to-date, keep your domain name on a separate service than the hosting ( don't buy your domain through 1and1 ), your contact email NOT be the same domain name that's hosted on 1and1, and make sure you cancel properly once you're done with 1and1.

If you fail to pay even 1 dollar, they will send you to collections and will require a lengthy letter to the attorney general to get it dropped.

How do I know? I went through the mess and lost my domain name to them.

They are a good cheap host, but I would rather suggest dreamhost, no frills and a lot better technical support + software.

They even help you set up Google Apps ( so you can host your email + domain through Google ) and website through Dreamhost.
Feb 22 13 01:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Must See Studios
Posts: 97
Atlanta, Georgia, US


BorninSF wrote:
Just a forewarning, if you use 1and1, keep your CC information up-to-date, keep your domain name on a separate service than the hosting ( don't buy your domain through 1and1 ), your contact email NOT be the same domain name that's hosted on 1and1, and make sure you cancel properly once you're done with 1and1.

If you fail to pay even 1 dollar, they will send you to collections and will require a lengthy letter to the attorney general to get it dropped.

How do I know? I went through the mess and lost my domain name to them.

They are a good cheap host, but I would rather suggest dreamhost, no frills and a lot better technical support + software.

They even help you set up Google Apps ( so you can host your email + domain through Google ) and website through Dreamhost.

I agree with this. NEVER get your domain through a hosting company that offers to register it for you. If you have to use a separate hosting get your domain from a registrar. That way if you decide to leave they can't hold your domain name hostage. It's happened before to many people and not just at 1 and 1.

As I mentioned before www.quickstartdomains.com is 4 dollars cheaper than GoDaddy for .com names and renewals and you can get hosting there too. But if you do use other hosting elsewhere use the registrar for your domain name and not the hosting company you decide to go with.
I'm cheap LOL I look for the best deals.

Feb 22 13 01:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Matt Knowles
Posts: 3,556
Ferndale, California, US


I had a dedicated server with Hurricane Electric for many years, which I used for my web site and for my clients. Loved their speed, uptime, and their support. Call them and you talk immediately to the support person. No  phone tree, no wait time, and no trying to decipher what some guy in India is saying.

I left them because they don't provide a control panel for clients, and there was no way for my clients to change their own email passwords. For security reasons I needed that because some of my clients are cities which of course includes police departments.

I now have a reseller account with Hostgator, and I've been pretty happy with them. Their support is pretty good, uptime not as rock solid as Hurricane, but still pretty good.
Feb 22 13 01:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,409
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Must See Studios wrote:

Sorry if this thread is a little old, but I would not recommend GoDaddy or Hostgator. GoDaddy Domains are too expensive and Hostgator puts 100's of accounts per server so you can get very slow performance if the other sites are very busy. They don't seem to load balance very well. I've been with multiple companies over the years.

I recommend www.quickstartdomains.com.

Their domains are cheap and hosting is pretty decent. JMO I've never liked GoDaddy and their stupid commercials. LOL

I paid 99cents for my godaddy domains. Not sure how much you pay but you can always move them at any time if you find a better deal.

Haven't noticed any performance issues on my accounts on Hostgator either. I would guess that most affordable plans have 100s of sites per server as well.

Feb 22 13 01:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhillipM
Posts: 6,277
Martin, Tennessee, US


Stay away from iPage.  Since I've hooked up with them, I get 30 spam emails a day, and I'm even paying for spam protection.

If you do, make sure and don't make the mistake I did.  I included my email as the administrator of my domain with them, and once it's there, it can't be changed per iPage.
Feb 22 13 01:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Must See Studios
Posts: 97
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Dan K Photography wrote:

I paid 99cents for my godaddy domains. Not sure how much you pay but you can always move them at any time if you find a better deal.

Haven't noticed any performance issues on my accounts on Hostgator either. I would guess that most affordable plans have 100s of sites per server as well.

Not sure when you got yours but they are $14.99 at GoDaddy and on Sale right now for $12.99. You can go look. You must have gotten some special or bought something else with it perhaps a long time ago. I've never seen a .com for that price. But until I do, I'd rather pay $8.99 at the above mentioned registrar. LOL

Feb 22 13 02:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BorninSF
Posts: 139
San Francisco, California, US


Must See Studios wrote:
Not sure when you got yours but they are $14.99 at GoDaddy and on Sale right now for $12.99. You can go look. You must have gotten some special or bought something else with it perhaps a long time ago. I've never seen a .com for that price. But until I do, I'd rather pay $8.99 at the above mentioned registrar. LOL

Search google for "godaddy 99" they have it all the time, but I am not sure about renewals. I don't want to deal with the hassle of waiting for a 99 cent deal to renew.

Feb 24 13 11:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Aaron Lewis Photography
Posts: 5,082
Catskill, New York, US


Web Spun Designs
www.webspundesigns.com
Feb 24 13 11:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
realistgva
Posts: 422
Plan-les-Ouates, Geneva, Switzerland


I have been very happy with siteground.com unlimited is up to 10gb of storage.
Recently upgraded to semi-dedicated hosting.
Considering bluehost.com very competitive price and offer. But no semi-dedicated plan.

If you have a very large collection of pictures then smugmug or zenfolio are the most competitive. By large I mean 10gb or more.
Feb 24 13 11:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
me voy
Posts: 983
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


There's nothing wrong with Yahoo for small business. You get templates, WP, SEO, listings and very cheap e-mail marketing campaigns. I am sure there is more that I haven't discovered yet.
Feb 24 13 11:51 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers