login info join!
Forums > Critique > Would I Work With You? Why/Why Not? Search   Reply
first12
Photographer
Art Silva
Posts: 9,094
Santa Barbara, California, US


I'm guessing not as I don't shoot commercial and fashion, but it doesn't hurt to ask... Hit me wink
Jul 06 13 10:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


David M Russell wrote:
Would you, could you?

Your event and celebrity work does not sell me on your skills with models, (just lets me know what your day job might be), so I skipped right over those.

The huge gulf in quality between your location full body/three quarter frames, and your studio ones indicated to me you're still adjusting to lighting in controlled environments like studios, with the base of your skill set being on location stuff:


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/070703/15/468ab69c5c461_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/070601/13/466050b8ed76b_m.jpg


You show some awesome potential on beauty, and some of your strongest shots are the tight beauty frames...you should probably give shooting more of it a go:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130131/10/510ab7e3f0c21_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130131/12/510ad803dce7b_m.jpg



End verdict?

Yes to some beauty with a quality hair/make up artist, and cookies.....because I love cookies and tend to think especially well of people who have some to share big_smile

Maybe, to some on location portraits or fashion.

No to the in studio, super posed stuff.

Jul 06 13 10:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Art Silva Photography wrote:
I'm guessing not as I don't shoot commercial and fashion, but it doesn't hurt to ask... Hit me wink

Actually, you have a solid port, with all of your art and figure nude bases well covered.(Ha! accidental silliness of phrase)

However, I don't shoot nudes, so I'd pass for sheer irreconcilable genre differences smile

Jul 06 13 10:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art Silva
Posts: 9,094
Santa Barbara, California, US


Paige Morgan wrote:
Actually, you have a solid port, with all of your art and figure nude bases well covered.

However, I don't shoot nudes, so I'd pass for sheer irreconcilable genre differences smile

Thank you, and I totally understand wink

All the best to you, your work is awesome.

Jul 06 13 10:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David M Russell
Posts: 1,090
New York, New York, US


Some pretty quality analysis, Paige. Very perceptive.

There are years and years of difference between the beauty stuff you commented on and the earlier stuff that you weren't crazy about. I suppose there's a lot difference in the fact that I know have my own space to shoot in, as opposed to a rented/shared space that I played with from time to time.

The location work I've posted is mostly Wall Street Journal stuff -- usually short notice with little or no prep. Less than 10 minutes with Jerry Seinfeld, for example, and we shot three setups in that time.

(My "day job" is unit photography.)
Jul 06 13 10:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


David M Russell wrote:
Some pretty quality analysis, Paige. Very perceptive.

There are years and years of difference between the beauty stuff you commented on and the earlier stuff that you weren't crazy about. I suppose there's a lot difference in the fact that I know have my own space to shoot in, as opposed to a rented/shared space that I played with from time to time.

The location work I've posted is mostly Wall Street Journal stuff -- usually short notice with little or no prep. Less than 10 minutes with Jerry Seinfeld, for example, and we shot three setups in that time.

(My "day job" is unit photography.)

I try to pay attention, so thank you for noticing the fact that I do. smile

That makes sense, you've gotten good at using available light/limited time to make something viable, and fast.


If you are now regularly cranking out stuff on par with your beauty headshots in your new space, put it in your book....because I have a feeling it would bring a lot of models to the yard, or at least, your studio door smile

Jul 06 13 10:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Art Silva Photography wrote:

Thank you, and I totally understand wink

All the best to you, your work is awesome.

The same to you, good sir, and thanks for the kind words smile

Jul 06 13 10:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David M Russell
Posts: 1,090
New York, New York, US


Paige Morgan wrote:
If you are now regularly cranking out stuff on par with your beauty headshots in your new space, put it in your book....

Work, work, work.

But I should be shooting a lot more fun stuff soon. Just finishing a work on a fashion-related show and hoping for a bit more free time. Looking forward to doing some location fashion shoots as well.

-D

Jul 06 13 10:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


David M Russell wrote:

Work, work, work.

But I should be shooting a lot more fun stuff soon. Just finishing a work on a fashion-related show and hoping for a bit more free time. Looking forward to doing some location fashion shoots as well.

-D

Well I look forward to seeing it, as I have reason to think it will be a nice addition smile

Jul 06 13 10:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Williams
Posts: 3,346
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Paige Morgan wrote:
A classic, and just as the title states......if I personally would work with you or not. Depending on what jumps out at me as I peruse your profile, I'll probably also give a bit of the reasoning of why or why not.

As always, no butthurt allowed.

No butthurt I promise

Jul 07 13 02:03 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Denise Hutter MUAH
Posts: 119
Cary, North Carolina, US


would you work with me?
Jul 07 13 04:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Paige Morgan wrote:

You've got a clean pretty style that I'm sure would play well in the commercial realm, if you edited your book a bit. There are multiple cases where you have two images from the same shoot, with only one really being striking enough to benefit you.

(For example, the second shot in your book is a much better choice than your current avatar.)

However, you are extremely consistent lighting and quality wise.

A yes if I needed a good simple commercial headshot.

Good advice as always Paige - thanks for taking the time to review my port !

Jul 07 13 04:13 am  Link  Quote 
Model
HEATHER 19
Posts: 1,132
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Paige Morgan wrote:

Damn! The last version of your port I saw was just about a perfect balance.....now there's some new stuff in your top row that isn't selling you or your (very pretty) look very well at all. Add carefully...not everything you shoot has to make it into your port.


Make up artist me would probably still use you, as I've seen enough of your work/look over time to know you've got some kick ass skills in you.....however, most people won't necessarily have that much context or history when they look at your book, and the new stuff is weighing it down rather than selling you well.

Thank You,
I do have other photos that need to be posted, soon I hope.  I respect you opinion and thank you for being honest smile  Can you please let me know your dislikes on the top row and why (If you have the time)-only way to learn smile

Jul 07 13 04:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Anvanya Photography
Posts: 26
Breda, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands


Would you? smile
Jul 07 13 04:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,342
Asheville, North Carolina, US


Paige Morgan wrote:

Well if we're playing in the hypothetical realm where my no nudes policy isn't an issue....I like what you do and some of the processes (or at least the ones we've discussed) that lead you to do it.

Is it something I can necessarily use? Not really, as art modeling isn't my big niche.

But since we're playing in the realm of opposite day possibility, sure if I had an extra day to play and there was some concept of yours that I would fit smile

Good for a lark is good. As to how things fit, I don't know either and am no model of clarity, but curiosity is a strong driver in my case.

Jul 07 13 05:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Laura Bello
Posts: 1,326
Rochester, New York, US


I'm curious smile
Jul 07 13 06:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


HEATHER 19 wrote:

Thank You,
I do have other photos that need to be posted, soon I hope.  I respect you opinion and thank you for being honest smile  Can you please let me know your dislikes on the top row and why (If you have the time)-only way to learn smile

The pose is fine but I still don't love what the MUA did (which makes you lose your very nice high cheekbones) or the lighting:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130622/14/51c611f3ea28a_m.jpg

This is a cute concept, but you look slightly scared rather than as if you are having fun:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130630/18/51d0d8c28e9c5_m.jpg

Jul 07 13 08:57 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Rik Williams wrote:

No butthurt I promise

You need to be a tighter editor. There's some great stuff getting lost in the sauce of too many images, and I almost skipped right over you with a "no" because I nearly missed some lovely stuff in the herd.

"Yes" to stuff like this:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130419/03/5171217eb597b_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130617/02/51bed675ece14_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110819/08/4e4e83f024bba_m.jpg

I especially love this:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110819/03/4e4e3ca233e62_m.jpg

I don't shoot nudes, but this is really pretty:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27561272


Big fat "no" to any of this:

Hair is a mess and  the lighting is meh:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110729/21/4e3383df9d65f_m.jpg

The combo of pose/expression and background doesn't make sense:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110703/05/4e105be3e8bd4_m.jpg

The pose makes gorgeous lines, but her face says she's about to fall:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28628765

Washed out:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111101/00/4eafa19673e8c_m.jpg

Jul 07 13 09:08 am  Link  Quote 
Model
HEATHER 19
Posts: 1,132
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Paige Morgan wrote:

The pose is fine but I still don't love what the MUA did (which makes you lose your very nice high cheekbones) or the lighting:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130622/14/51c611f3ea28a_m.jpg

This is a cute concept, but you look slightly scared rather than as if you are having fun:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130630/18/51d0d8c28e9c5_m.jpg

Yes, got ya - thanks.  I will show you when I have more updated photos

Jul 07 13 09:28 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Becca Briggs
Posts: 10
Castle Rock, Colorado, US


I'll give it a shot
Jul 07 13 09:36 am  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,808
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Paige Morgan wrote:

Do you still have the red in your hair? I think it looks really nice against your eyes, your skin is nice and clear,plus you have freckles!


MUA me would want to do your face for sure. Plus you've shown to be willing to do the work to build up a very nice portfolio, and I know you are cool as the other side of the pillow. No drama from you
Jul 07 13 12:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Elena Antonia Pappas
Posts: 712
Miami, Florida, US


Me smile
Jul 07 13 01:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Third Time Lucky
Posts: 2
Columbia, Missouri, US


Jul 07 13 02:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Williams
Posts: 3,346
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Paige Morgan wrote:

You need to be a tighter editor. There's some great stuff getting lost in the sauce of too many images, and I almost skipped right over you with a "no" because I nearly missed some lovely stuff in the herd.

"Yes" to stuff like this:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130419/03/5171217eb597b_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130617/02/51bed675ece14_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110819/08/4e4e83f024bba_m.jpg

I especially love this:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110819/03/4e4e3ca233e62_m.jpg

I don't shoot nudes, but this is really pretty:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27561272


Big fat "no" to any of this:

Hair is a mess and  the lighting is meh:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110729/21/4e3383df9d65f_m.jpg

The combo of pose/expression and background doesn't make sense:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110703/05/4e105be3e8bd4_m.jpg

The pose makes gorgeous lines, but her face says she's about to fall:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28628765

Washed out:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/111101/00/4eafa19673e8c_m.jpg

Thanks Paige, I think you're right to a large extent. I am indeed guilty of hanging on to images for all the wrong reasons lol
I certainly need to tighten up on the quality presented and ultimately the direction I'm headed.
I'm sooo guilty of getting bored all too quickly and I can see how this lack of discipline can have a negative effect on my overall portfolio.

Thank you for your honesty smile

Btw, I'd be happy to nut out some concepts to shoot with you smile

Jul 08 13 03:02 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sunblossom
Posts: 45
Manchester, England, United Kingdom


I'd love to know!
Jul 08 13 11:23 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Olivia Ashton
Posts: 226
Mount Dora, Florida, US


Would you take me on?
Jul 08 13 12:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BellaElleBoudoir
Posts: 9
Sacramento, California, US


Please thank you!
Jul 08 13 12:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cynthia Serrano
Posts: 12,466
Newark, New Jersey, US


Curious bunny I think we could do some kick ass work together since we both have an androgynous look but thats just my opinion big_smile
Jul 08 13 12:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Axioma
Posts: 6,776
Gent, East Flanders, Belgium


models too smile?
Jul 08 13 01:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DRaskin Photography
Posts: 164
Sacramento, California, US


It is a classic concept, but I'll play along. Would you?
Jul 08 13 05:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sarah_
Posts: 1,487
Denver, Colorado, US


Would you? smile
Jul 08 13 06:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bri Images
Posts: 273
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


If you're still doing this, I'd like to know smile
Jul 08 13 08:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Maruschke
Posts: 543
Darfield, Canterbury, New Zealand


Me?
Jul 08 13 08:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Keith Aleksoff
Posts: 46
Anchorage, Alaska, US


Would you?
Jul 08 13 11:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Darren Brade
Posts: 2,746
London, England, United Kingdom


I solemnly swear not to get butthurt or face the wrath of an elephant on a pogo stick.
Jul 09 13 04:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Christoff Smit
Posts: 296
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa


Please tell me :-D Would love to hear your feedback!
Jul 09 13 04:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PabloLugonesPhotography
Posts: 1
Pacifica, California, US


This newb would love to hear your input! Only have a few shoots under my belt, but no butthurt, I promise...
Jul 14 13 02:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Scottsdale Images
Posts: 495
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


hmmmm thought I was already in this,, but I'd be interested to know
Jul 14 13 10:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MissLaurelle
Posts: 3,532
Montreal, Quebec, Canada


smile ?
Jul 14 13 10:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Emily Carrol
Posts: 84
Newport News, Virginia, US


Me please?
Jul 15 13 09:26 am  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers