login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Models: ever feel judged for your looks? Search   Reply
first1234last
Photographer
255 West
Posts: 6,468
New York, New York, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
... the majority of women I know don't like being told they are beautiful ... It's usually awkward, or there's a catch, or they're embarassed. And models are some of the most insecure people I know. They don't think they're these gorgeous creatures, and saying "wow you're beautiful" doesn't mean a lot to them...

I've noticed that typically, the more attractive the woman, the more insecure she is.
If they don't think they're attractive, then what are they doing modeling?

Will you please explain this paradox?

Sep 05 13 01:50 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


255 West wrote:

I've noticed that typically, the more attractive the woman, the more insecure she is.
If they don't think they're attractive, then what are they doing modeling?

Will you please explain this paradox?

for the sake of art
for a nice experience
to meet people
to gain more confidence
because they accidentally stumbled into it and found out they really loved it
to get away from reality for a bit
for the money
...

in my case, it was because I was told I wasn't photogenic and I wanted to learn how I could be. Then after the first shoot I just fell madly in love with modeling. It has helped with self-acceptance and insecurities as well (though I'm still insecure, it's definitely a lot better). I certainly didn't get into it because I thought "omygod I'm so attractive, modeling is just the next logical step".

Sep 05 13 02:36 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Natalia_Taffarel
Posts: 7,665
Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina


255 West wrote:
I've noticed that typically, the more attractive the woman, the more insecure she is.

I guess... because you're told so many times, at some point you need it more and more.

Happens with most things and not only with females... are you familiar with Lacan?
Change the adjective:  Smart
If you're told you are smart a lot, your insecurities will be there... am I really smart enough?

Don't you agree?

Sep 05 13 05:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
REED Photography
Posts: 32
Los Angeles, California, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

lol, wut?

I don't know what kind of women you've been seeing, but the majority of women I know don't like being told they are beautiful (unless it's by a loved one). It's usually awkward, or there's a catch, or they're embarassed. And models are some of the most insecure people I know. They don't think they're these gorgeous creatures, and saying "wow you're beautiful" doesn't mean a lot to them...

QFT.

Strangers tell me daily how attractive I am, but there's almost always a catch... like they want to hook up, go on a date, etc.

It becomes meaningless to be told you're attractive by a stranger because it feels like they're using it as an "in" to a conversation that we don't even want to have.

Having your loved ones tell you? That's completely different. Because they are talking about you... your personality... your talents... your sense of humor.

Having strangers compliment you all the time ends up making one feel like they're just an object and like they don't have brains or heart.

Sep 05 13 10:49 am  Link  Quote 
Model
calliecalypso
Posts: 45
Dallas, Texas, US


REED Photography wrote:

QFT.

Strangers tell me daily how attractive I am, but there's almost always a catch... like they want to hook up, go on a date, etc.

It becomes meaningless to be told you're attractive by a stranger because it feels like they're using it as an "in" to a conversation that we don't even want to have.

Having your loved ones tell you? That's completely different. Because they are talking about you... your personality... your talents... your sense of humor.

Having strangers compliment you all the time ends up making one feel like they're just an object and like they don't have brains or heart.

^This. All of this.

It's why I got into photography initially, instead of modeling. Because with photography, people talked about/judged me based on the quality of my work with no strings attached. It wasn't used as a flirtation device or an in with friends/family.

Since puberty I got told how attractive I am by various strangers, but like with others it came with a catch. Usually they just wanted a sexual favor. So hearing it doesn't seem genuine anymore. I haven't started believing genuine compliments in regards to my appearance until the last year or so when I got the courage to be in front of the camera again for the first time in years and got positive comments from men and women with no sexual overtones in the slightest.

As for losing friends due to jealousy - I haven't had that. Most of my friends are fairly mature in that sense. But because most of my modeling isn't mainsteam, it's geeky costuming/cosplay I get considered an attention whore or a genuine one a lot by those who hardly know me. It doesn't matter I'm engaged and expecting a kid, because I took a picture in a costume confidently showing off my skills and my body I'm clearly a big ol' ho. But the geek community is full of insecure people who love to make assumptions like that so they can feel better about their own lives.

Sep 05 13 10:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
What Fun Productions
Posts: 20,192
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Someone should start one of those, "post your pic without makeup" threads.
Sep 07 13 02:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JadeDRed
Posts: 5,420
London, England, United Kingdom


255 West wrote:

I've noticed that typically, the more attractive the woman, the more insecure she is.
If they don't think they're attractive, then what are they doing modeling?

Will you please explain this paradox?

Insecurity is a complicated thing, not on a linear scale. There can be up and down days. Some can believe themselves to be beautiful but easily be brought down by a negative comment. Some people can shine confidently until someone brings attention to their looks (positively or negatively) and then they lose focus and become self-conscious. Some only think themselves so so but have a tolerance for negative comments, allowing them to be comfortably secure without necessarily thinking a lot of themselves.

I think a lot of models fit in to that last one and it is probably the best way for a model to be.

Sep 08 13 05:43 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JadeDRed
Posts: 5,420
London, England, United Kingdom


Natalia_Taffarel wrote:
I guess... because you're told so many times, at some point you need it more and more.

Yes, if people always tell you you are beautiful, you have to wonder, is this the most important thing about me? Is this why people want to be around me? Is this my worth to others? What would happen if I didn't have beauty?

Then bam, suddenly being beautiful just got very important, I mean it must be everyone is always bringing it up, so you have to make sure you are beautiful enough to be worthwhile, you have to make sure you stay beautiful enough, and can anyone ever be beautiful enough? When you look in the mirror do you or anyone see perfection? No? So if that is how you feel your worth is defined you have to start thinking about it. A lot. And the more you think, the more you feel you aren't meeting the mark. And there we have insecurity.

A lot of the most secure people are that way because they feel their looks just aren't important.

Sep 08 13 05:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sinead OMara
Posts: 7
Arlington, Virginia, US


I have not modeled yet- but already my mom and dad are pissed that I am trying to pursue it
Sep 08 13 11:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,667
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Sinead OMara wrote:
I have not modeled yet- but already my mom and dad are pissed that I am trying to pursue it

You have a great look!!   smile

Sep 08 13 12:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,102
New York, New York, US


Not by other beautiful models.

Oh the conundrum of that statement.
Sep 08 13 12:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Antediluvian Design
Posts: 1,137
Dunmore, Pennsylvania, US


To the OP. maybe it has nothing to do with your looks. The person might just not like you for whatever reason. Just sayin.
Sep 08 13 12:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,102
New York, New York, US


Antediluvian Design wrote:
To the OP. maybe it has nothing to do with your looks. The person might just not like you for whatever reason. Just sayin.

Truth is, women assess other women on looks first. I don't myself, but I truly believe that is the case.  Ask any jilted ex girlfriend and the first thing they want to know is, "Is she prettier than me?"

It's such an adolescent point of view.

Thing is men and women assess each other with a myriad of factors, not just physical beauty.

Arrogance is not an attractive trait.  If one is not arrogant, yes, a physically beautiful woman can get snarls from women who are not as such.  It can be always a one-upmanship thing; it's old.

I never judged my friends based on their appearance but most of my friends are models, singers, actors, dancers, etc.  The very few I have are very beautiful and talented.  Good people too; I never worry about them making a move on anyone I care for, etc. 

If I'm around anyone that doesn't see me for who I am or makes me feel bad, I don't talk to those people anymore.  If strangers/co-workers/etc. give me a hard time for anything, I just ignore all of that. 

I would think that a Playboy bunny type would get judged more (for possibly being stupid) than a classic beauty type. 

Just my thoughts.

Sep 08 13 12:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Christina Elyse
Posts: 2
Swindon, England, United Kingdom


Axioma wrote:
No not really smile. I'm rather average looking plus I value my personal relationships a lot. And I don't care about the others. That's a pretty conflict-free way of living.

^^ This.

Sep 08 13 12:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel A Murray
Posts: 11
Rockville, Maryland, US


No, but like a few of the other posters have said, some of my friends think that because I look average without makeup, they can be models too. Whenever I tell them, they usually say, "I want to be a model too." I never actually say this to them, but i'm always thinking: "I was telling you about something I do, not giving you an invitation to do it with me."
Sep 09 13 05:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mariam Mariamti
Posts: 91
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


Gianna Virginia wrote:
Have you ever lost friends or have been treated shitty for the way you look due to jealousy or intimidation? Especially by other women.

I learned something you should learn quickly: if you are pretty you should have only equally pretty or prettier friends. Unattractive women do HORRIBLE things to their attractive friends, even put their lives at risk, back stab like crazy, just because they are jealous. Scarcity corrupts.

On the other hand, beautiful women don't care if another woman is also beautiful. I hate to say it but the difference between women who know they are pretty and women who don't is women who are pretty don't obsess about their looks. My friends who are beautiful are confident they can easily get a quality guy if they were looking for one, so they are never out to set my man. Pretty girls think: "Girl friendship is forever, but guys come and go, and there are more guys that want to marry you than you know what to do with."

Unattractive women think: "Most good men are taken and the single ones are hard to find...." followed by,  "OMG, she'll take my man!" or "I'll show that bimbo who has it to easy" or "so few men, I must make her boyfriend hate her and steal him for myself."

I hate to say it, but if you have female friends, never have friends that are less physically attractive than you, or they'll get insecure and backstab you. Always. Pretty girls don't care that you are pretty, think there are plenty of men around so there is no need to be jealous or steal men from you. Pretty girls will trade tips with you on how you can get more attractive.

You can have less attractive friends, but they have to be from a different generation, like a lot older or a lot younger, so the women don't see you as a rival. It's a gut reaction.

But yep, if you look more attractive, either your friends have to catch up or you have to keep an eye on them and ditch them if they back stab you. Every woman can look attractive if she makes an effort. The jealousy is a natural thing. When I was 14, before I became attractive and I had a ton of acne, I got jealous near a pretty girl. When the acne cleared, so did my jealousy of pretty girls. When boys started to notice me, I stopped being jealous. The jealousy and it's sudden end when I got rid of my acne surprised me. It's instinct, deep down.

Stick to beautiful female friends who are secure in themselves enough not to feel they have to fight over guys with you. It often means making new friends who are happy and secure with themselves.

Sep 09 13 11:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Mariam Mariamti
Posts: 91
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


I didn't have girls behave weirdly that I started modeling, but things changed with my acne. I used to have a lot of acne, and I had shorter hair. When I got rid of the acne, a couple photographers in the street spotted me and asked me to do a shoot. Also guys started to notice me. It was at that time, that girls changed how they behaved around me. Pretty girls are always nice but some girls who were good friends became mean, and it got worse with them finding out about the photographers. So I just hung out with guy friends until I realized my pretty female friends didn't change how they treated me since my acne went away.

I stuck to pretty friends. I think by accident. I just block mean or negative people from my life. The jealous girls acted out. I blocked them, cut them from my life. I love my friends, they are kind and sweet, the girls and the guys. Then I realized all my kind female friends that were left also happened to look as good as I do or much better.

I only kept nice people around me, so I realized I am now probably one of the least good looking of all my female friends, which is awesome! It happened that way. I just blocked out the jealous ones.
Sep 09 13 11:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nyk fury
Posts: 2,918
Port Townsend, Washington, US


your friends had better keep an eye on you then, right mariam?
Sep 09 13 11:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Carter
Posts: 7,671
Indianapolis, Indiana, US


Mariam Mariamti wrote:
blah blah blah nonsense

...if you are pretty you should have only equally pretty or prettier friends. Unattractive women do HORRIBLE things to their attractive friends, even put their lives at risk, back stab like crazy, just because they are jealous. Scarcity corrupts.

Your logic is horribly flawed. You said unattractive people do horrible things to their friends. Yet advocate having prettier friends, which means you in effect, become the unattractive one.

Your suggestion for better friendships, is to be the nottie, in a group of hotties.

Mariam Mariamti wrote:
On the other hand, beautiful women don't care if another woman is also beautiful. I hate to say it but the difference between women who know they are pretty and women who don't is women who are pretty don't obsess about their looks.

You're kidding me right? Is that why attractive people get plastic surgery as they get older? Is that why the pretty girls spend hours doing their hair and make up, and picking the right clothes?

Your understanding of basic human psychology is lul worthy.

I hate to break it to you, but something I learned really early, was the more attractive you are, the more deceitful you are, if an only if your looks matter to you. And if you're pretty, they matter. A lot.

Now, that doesn't mean pretty girls are by default shady. Just means if trivial things like looks and material possessions are the only thing they care about, they will be shady. I have seen some stunningly beautiful women, who don't even realize they are, and they are some of the most caring, loyal people you would know. Because looks aren't their only driving force in life.

But YOUR logic, is just horribly flawed.

Have hotter friends so they won't screw you over? Even though you openly admitted that the unattractive people do horrible things? Makes me wonder what you've done to your hotter friends.

Seriously.

For example, lying about your age is something someone who worries about looks would do, or underage kids trying to get booze. No one else would do it.

Sep 10 13 12:01 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


sometimes beauty really is only skindeep. The type of beauty you can wipe off with a kleenex.
Sep 10 13 12:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPRINGHEEL
Posts: 38,192
Gibraltar, Michigan, US


I'm one of the prettiest men on the planet


No wonder I don't have friends
Sep 10 13 03:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Erlinda
Posts: 7,094
London, England, United Kingdom


Women get judge by their looks no matter if they are a model or not. I walk down the street a chick will give me a dirty look, I'm in the grocery store a women will hit my cart give me an evil eye and pinch,push,poke, or slap her lover for looking at me. I am at a pub and a woman will step on my food look at me and not say sorry.

Women are catty beings. Sometimes it has to do with your looks sometimes it has to do with their looks. At the end of the day, I don't hold my breath and I don't overly think about it. I just move on and carry on about my business. hmm
Sep 10 13 04:53 am  Link  Quote 
Model
sasweets
Posts: 404
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


Mariam Mariamti wrote:
I learned something you should learn quickly: if you are pretty you should have only equally pretty or prettier friends. Unattractive women do HORRIBLE things to their attractive friends, even put their lives at risk, back stab like crazy, just because they are jealous. Scarcity corrupts.

On the other hand, beautiful women don't care if another woman is also beautiful. I hate to say it but the difference between women who know they are pretty and women who don't is women who are pretty don't obsess about their looks. My friends who are beautiful are confident they can easily get a quality guy if they were looking for one, so they are never out to set my man. Pretty girls think: "Girl friendship is forever, but guys come and go, and there are more guys that want to marry you than you know what to do with."

Unattractive women think: "Most good men are taken and the single ones are hard to find...." followed by,  "OMG, she'll take my man!" or "I'll show that bimbo who has it to easy" or "so few men, I must make her boyfriend hate her and steal him for myself."

I hate to say it, but if you have female friends, never have friends that are less physically attractive than you, or they'll get insecure and backstab you. Always. Pretty girls don't care that you are pretty, think there are plenty of men around so there is no need to be jealous or steal men from you. Pretty girls will trade tips with you on how you can get more attractive.

You can have less attractive friends, but they have to be from a different generation, like a lot older or a lot younger, so the women don't see you as a rival. It's a gut reaction.

But yep, if you look more attractive, either your friends have to catch up or you have to keep an eye on them and ditch them if they back stab you. Every woman can look attractive if she makes an effort. The jealousy is a natural thing. When I was 14, before I became attractive and I had a ton of acne, I got jealous near a pretty girl. When the acne cleared, so did my jealousy of pretty girls. When boys started to notice me, I stopped being jealous. The jealousy and it's sudden end when I got rid of my acne surprised me. It's instinct, deep down.

Stick to beautiful female friends who are secure in themselves enough not to feel they have to fight over guys with you. It often means making new friends who are happy and secure with themselves.

You can't judge by looks but by actions. All my friends aren't in the same group of attractiveness but I wouldn't call any of them ugly either. My friends never got jealous of me and I never got jealous of them. We're all secure enough not to be petty like that. (I've known most of them for years too but even my new friends aren't like that.. Or what would be the point of calling them a friend?)

* Between.. I've seen not so pretty girls be mean but I've also seen pretty girls be just as mean as well. Looks do not define how catty a person is going to be. If you think that if they're pretty they're not going to be mean to you, you need to reassess your point of view.

* My friends are also the ones that pushed me into modeling and are always saying with pride that they are glad they did so.

Sep 10 13 04:55 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,102
New York, New York, US


SPRINGHEEL  wrote:
I'm one of the prettiest men on the planet


No wonder I don't have friends

You are awesome.
Just sayin

lol

Sep 10 13 09:10 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Erlinda wrote:
Women get judge by their looks no matter if they are a model or not. I walk down the street a chick will give me a dirty look, I'm in the grocery store a women will hit my cart give me an evil eye and pinch,push,poke, or slap her lover for looking at me. I am at a pub and a woman will step on my food look at me and not say sorry.

Women are catty beings. Sometimes it has to do with your looks sometimes it has to do with their looks. At the end of the day, I don't hold my breath and I don't overly think about it. I just move on and carry on about my business. hmm

people actually do that yikes? wow...
I can honestly say that I've never been mean to a woman just because she's attractive. Maybe for other reasons :p. But I have no idea why someone would go "oh look, a pretty girl! Let's give her a push with my elbow, gnagnagna"

Sep 10 13 12:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Erlinda
Posts: 7,094
London, England, United Kingdom


Anna Adrielle wrote:

people actually do that yikes? wow...
I can honestly say that I've never been mean to a woman just because she's attractive. Maybe for other reasons :p. But I have no idea why someone would go "oh look, a pretty girl! Let's give her a push with my elbow, gnagnagna"

Well it's usually the younger girls that give me the evil eye while I walk down the street lol... And the grocery store thing only happened because her lover was drooling and couldn't stop staring at me. So she was pissed and took it out on me.

It doesn't happen every day don't get me wrong, but it does happen.

Sep 10 13 12:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nyk fury
Posts: 2,918
Port Townsend, Washington, US


Erlinda wrote:
I am at a pub and a woman will step on my food look at me and not say sorry.

what, do they get up on your table to do that? that's pretty damn overt!

Sep 10 13 12:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Erlinda
Posts: 7,094
London, England, United Kingdom


nyk fury wrote:

what, do they get up on your table to do that? that's pretty damn overt!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha that's was awesome.

I meant foot tongue

Sep 10 13 03:09 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Erlinda wrote:

Well it's usually the younger girls that give me the evil eye while I walk down the street lol... And the grocery store thing only happened because her lover was drooling and couldn't stop staring at me. So she was pissed and took it out on me.

It doesn't happen every day don't get me wrong, but it does happen.

well, in their defense, you are exceptionally gorgeous smile

Sep 11 13 02:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Erlinda
Posts: 7,094
London, England, United Kingdom


Anna Adrielle wrote:

well, in their defense, you are exceptionally gorgeous smile

No I'm not.... Ever day life, I'm a complete tomboy that wears baggy jeans and hoodies. I don't dress up to go to the grocery store LOL

Sep 11 13 04:48 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Erlinda wrote:

No I'm not.... Ever day life, I'm a complete tomboy that wears baggy jeans and hoodies. I don't dress up to go to the grocery store LOL

it's all about bonestructure :p

Sep 11 13 06:56 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Brittany Waldron
Posts: 33
Erie, Pennsylvania, US


I have, but also by some photographers. I had a baby and still have my baby pouch. Its not bad at all but im not super skinny either. I look average and yet im judged by it.
Sep 11 13 07:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Erlinda
Posts: 7,094
London, England, United Kingdom


Brittany Waldron wrote:
I have, but also by some photographers. I had a baby and still have my baby pouch. Its not bad at all but im not super skinny either. I look average and yet im judged by it.

It's never good to be a model and look average. The point people are called models is because they look/have something that "average" people don't have.

I have a pouch and I didn't even have a kid lol Don't worry about it!

Sep 11 13 07:30 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,763
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Erlinda wrote:

It's never good to be a model and look average. The point people are called models is because they look/have something that "average" people don't have.

I have a pouch and I didn't even have a kid lol

true, but beautystandards for everyday people and beautystandards for models can vary sometimes smile. I can think of several women who are stunning models, but would be considered ugly or at the very least strangelooking in everyday life smile

Sep 11 13 07:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Brittany Waldron
Posts: 33
Erie, Pennsylvania, US


Erlinda wrote:

It's never good to be a model and look average. The point people are called models is because they look/have something that "average" people don't have.

I have a pouch and I didn't even have a kid lol Don't worry about it!

Weight wise i ment lol. I dont think i look like the average person. But that does make me feel better haha.

Sep 11 13 07:40 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jolly Rauncher
Posts: 1,517
Seattle, Washington, US


I've not lost friends from it, because they are generally like-minded in some sort of way and appreciate what I do. Some of them get weirded out about the nude thing, but they aren't mean about it and are genuinely curious as to what it's like.

I get a lot of shit from the general public, but not because I'm "pretty" or "look like a model". Usually the mere thought of me being a model is laughable to most who don't really know me. Either because of my height or because of the way I dress.

What people who used to bully me think of me now and what I do is of no concern. Their bullying made me the confident person I am today, and they all ended up looking haggard. Karma is a bigger bitch than they ever were.
Sep 13 13 02:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eugenya
Posts: 1,076
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Yes, I have.   Some people who know that I'm a nude art model simply don't understand what is actually a highly specialized field and consequently they have the wrong idea about me.  Like perhaps, I'm "easy" or something, because I am willing to take off my clothes in front of strangers and then move my naked body in a series of poses for those people.  I dress very conservatively when in the presence of these people lest their wrong idea is perpetuated.  I was once refused further babysitting services for my kids because the woman's husband found out what kind of modeling I did and decided I was no good.  Also, if I (very rarely) wear an attractive outfit, especially if that outfit includes high-heels, I get dirty looks from women.  I'm very careful to be conservative with my outward appearance in public.  Some of the men in my neighbourhood know what kind of modeling I do.  I make sure I always wear flat shoes and never show cleavage or wear anything very tight.  I don't need neighbourhood gossip.  I'm very sensitive and tend to pick up on little nuances, tones of voice, and glances, unfortunately.
Sep 13 13 08:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Countess Grotesque
Posts: 1,425
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


I must say I do find it very sad when fellow model friends start to dislike me the more I further myself (with anything, I do a lot of things arty).
I have actually lost friends who have seen it as a competition and I was completely unaware this is how some people feel. It isn't a competition, it's a passion.
Anyone who knows me, knows I have been modelling for 11 years, so if I accomplish a hard earned milestone it is sad when some people get 'jealous' instead of happy for me. I'm happy for anyone around me in the same industry who further themselves.
One instance someone on another site whom I was acquainted with even deleted me as a friend and had a hissyfit about me on their page because I posted my first bikini photo. I was proud of that image because I had just become ok with my body and lost a lot of weight in a healthy way.
So I don't quite understand their way of thinking. I have an inkling that a lot of people see this job/hobby what have you, as an 'easy' thing...and forget how much effort goes into it all.

But as for being judged in general, I have been dealing with this my whole life, but I don't think modelling helps that issue, people like to assume that because I model I must have a big ego and be snobby etc etc and I would be rich if I had a dollar for everytime someone actually had a conversation with me and said "I used to think you were (insert negative opinion here)"
Sep 13 13 11:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel-Elise
Posts: 1,650
Grand Rapids, Michigan, US


Oh, honey, I've gotten the full spectrum of reactions and responses.

The funniest ones are when someone sees me in some sort of situation, and they've never met me before--for example, the sales girls when I went to try on wedding dresses--and they go on and on about how I "look like (I) could be a model."

I mean, there's no NOT-awkward way to either end or continue that conversation, and no way to know how they will respond, no matter what I do or don't say. x-P
Sep 16 13 02:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
V Laroche
Posts: 2,746
New Orleans, Louisiana, US


P I X I E wrote:

Yes, for dabbling into fetish and nude work. That one model then told my then boyfriend that I was doing porn. She also did nude work, but she was beyond all the stigmata because her work was art and mine wasn't.

Stigmata are Christ's wounds.

Sep 16 13 11:46 pm  Link  Quote 
first1234last   Search   Reply