login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Street Photography Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Ok so I've been mulling over about trying my hand at some street photography lately.

I've been reading up on it, studied several who have done it and their style, etc.

The one thing that makes me wonder (actually a few things, but this really makes me twist my face in a question mark)...some talk about shooting from the hip, rather than letting those know you are shooting them.

To me, this is sneaky and overall low. Though I understand why some do this style...not everyone wants their picture taken.

For those who do street photography...what are your thoughts about shooting from the hip?

Also, I've been thinking that when I do try to shoot some street, I might want to keep it black and white for visual impact...thoughts?

Thanks guys smile
Sep 10 13 04:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Raoul Isidro Images
Posts: 5,987
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Some great examples here on MM thread:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=822457

upload your latest image.

.
Sep 10 13 04:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
Some great examples here on MM thread:

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=822457

upload your latest image.

.

Holy cow! Many of the blew me away!!! Now I have to really try my hand at it!!!

Sep 10 13 04:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-fpc-
Posts: 570
Port Chester, New York, US


i do alot of street work
there is nothing sneaky about shooting from the hip

most times you want pictures of whatever is happening, not someone posing or smiling while you raise the camera and shoot

I do both, depending what is called for and how close you are

look in my everything else link on my profile page
I do color and black and white, depending on subject matter and overall feel of the image
Sep 10 13 04:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Raoul Isidro Images
Posts: 5,987
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Swank Photography wrote:
For those who do street photography...what are your thoughts about shooting from the hip?

Love it!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404357_315036735219173_1737156052_n.jpg

.

Sep 10 13 04:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


-fpc- wrote:
i do alot of street work
there is nothing sneaky about shooting from the hip

most times you want pictures of whatever is happening, not someone posing or smiling while you raise the camera and shoot

I do both, depending what is called for and how close you are

look in my everything else link on my profile page
I do color and black and white, depending on subject matter and overall feel of the image

Thank you I will!

Sep 10 13 04:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

Love it!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/404357_315036735219173_1737156052_n.jpg

.

That's from the hip? Wow...not what I expected at all from the way the books describe it LOL!

Sep 10 13 04:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Gary Melton
Posts: 6,338
Dallas, Texas, US


Sep 10 13 04:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kaouthia
Posts: 3,152
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom


Swank Photography wrote:
The one thing that makes me wonder (actually a few things, but this really makes me twist my face in a question mark)...some talk about shooting from the hip, rather than letting those know you are shooting them.

To me, this is sneaky and overall low. Though I understand why some do this style...not everyone wants their picture taken.

For those who do street photography...what are your thoughts about shooting from the hip?

No problem with it.  If I'm shooting black & white film, I'll usually just go for the shot.  It's not sneaky if you're not sneaky about it.  Asking them changes the dynamic.

If you're sniping them with a 300mm from 100 yards away, that's sneaky.  If you're right by them with a 35 or 50mm, you can hardly be sneaky, really. smile

Swank Photography wrote:
Also, I've been thinking that when I do try to shoot some street, I might want to keep it black and white for visual impact...thoughts?

Generally, if I'm just shooting without asking, observing, documenting, I'll shoot black & white film (Nikkormat FTn/FT3 bodies with either FP4+ or HP5+).

This was at a WWII reenactment last year (at Ingleton, England - Each year, they turn the whole village into a WWII village for three days).  Spent the day with a few rolls of FP4+.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/600087_440921442614963_185220935_n.jpg

Occasionally they'll see me, and interact in a way that just comes naturally without me saying a word. wink (Tri-X expired about 15 years)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/988685_610785352295237_1871770545_n.jpg

If I'm shooting digital, I'll generally ask, and do portraits of random strangers on the street, I'll usually have an SB-900 and a 24" box with me, and I'll keep 'em colour.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1150332_614367411937031_208402999_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1150258_614489405258165_1680745201_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1146686_614316045275501_356187186_n.jpg

Sep 10 13 04:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-fpc-
Posts: 570
Port Chester, New York, US


Kaouthia wrote:
If you're sniping them with a 300mm from 100 yards away, that's sneaky.  If you're right by them with a 35 or 50mm, you can hardly be sneaky, really. smile

exactly
35mm is my focal length of choice
and I have learned how to frame with it over time, where I don't need to look through the view finder, so why bother...

Sep 10 13 04:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Kaouthia wrote:

No problem with it.  If I'm shooting black & white film, I'll usually just go for the shot.  It's not sneaky if you're not sneaky about it.  Asking them changes the dynamic.

If you're sniping them with a 300mm from 100 yards away, that's sneaky.  If you're right by them with a 35 or 50mm, you can hardly be sneaky, really. smile


Generally, if I'm just shooting without asking, observing, documenting, I'll shoot black & white film (Nikkormat FTn/FT3 bodies with either FP4+ or HP5+).

This was at a WWII reenactment last year.  Spent the day with a few rolls of FP4+.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/600087_440921442614963_185220935_n.jpg

Occasionally they'll see me, and interact in a way that just comes naturally without me saying a word. wink (Tri-X expired about 15 years)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/988685_610785352295237_1871770545_n.jpg

If I'm shooting digital, I'll generally ask, and do portraits of random strangers on the street, I'll usually have an SB-900 and a 24" box with me, and I'll keep 'em colour.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1150332_614367411937031_208402999_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1150258_614489405258165_1680745201_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1146686_614316045275501_356187186_n.jpg

Wow lovin'n your work dude!!!!

Now let me ask you do they ask you what are you going to do with the images?

I know that open street is virtually no privacy but I still kinda feel that you shouldnt use their image or images if it causes them to be upset...or naybe I'm just over thinking this far too much.

There is a group of rainbow children down here that I would love to shoot, along with street performers and also quite a variety of homeless.

Some of them, for instance the homeless I would offer a few bucks in exchange (or perhaps a hot meal).

Sep 10 13 04:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Erlinda
Posts: 7,036
London, England, United Kingdom


I shoot straight on… I don't care if people see me taking their picture.

http://erlinda.ca/personal/5/index.php?show=5
http://erlinda.ca/personal/5/index.php?show=4
http://erlinda.ca/personal/4/index.php?show=16
Sep 10 13 04:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Another place I want to try my hand at street photography shooting would be over at the Navy base here in Key West.

But for that I would need to go meet with the public relations office first to get permission, even though I am a military dependent and my husband is also a Federal Police Officer on the base as well.

And that is something I just dont see the office saying ok to...but I could still try.
Sep 10 13 04:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Erlinda wrote:
I shoot straight on… I don't care if people see me taking their picture.

http://erlinda.ca/personal/5/index.php?show=5
http://erlinda.ca/personal/5/index.php?show=4
http://erlinda.ca/personal/4/index.php?show=16

Oh wow! Girl you shoot street as well? Well hells bells I knew I liked you for a reason! I'm going to have to check your work out too!

Sep 10 13 04:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-fpc-
Posts: 570
Port Chester, New York, US


Navy base ?

shoot around Duval
thats where the freaks are..
Sep 10 13 04:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kaouthia
Posts: 3,152
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom


Swank Photography wrote:
Now let me ask you do they ask you what are you going to do with the images?

Yup, occasionally.  If I'm asking if I can shoot them, I'll tell them while I'm asking.  Just be honest and up front with it.  If it's for a particular project, tell them about the project, where they can get more info, see the photos.  If you're just having a go at street photography, tell them you're having a go at street photography.

But, figure out what you're going to say before you get asked. smile

If I'm shooting digital, lit stuff of random people in the street, it's usually some big event going on in whatever town/city I happen to be in, most of them expect to be photographed.  So, when you go up and ask them, 99% of the time they're cool with it.  The three colour shots above were from Rebellion Festival (AKA "Punk Weekend") in Blackpool, England last month.  I was there for three days, and out of all the people I asked, I only got maybe 5 nos (the black & white shot of the 2 punks was from Rebellion 2012).

Apparently, this fella is a solicitor (that's British for lawyer). wink

https://sphotos-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1150274_614316041942168_1961017284_n.jpg

When I'm just shooting black & white, and not generally asking for permission, if I see them notice me after I've got the shot, I'll speak to them before they have a chance to open their mouths, hand them a card, and tell them to get in touch and I'll email them a copy (obviously, if I'm shooting film, I can't just delete it, heh).

If I haven't got the shot yet and they notice me, well, the shot's gone.  So there's really nothing to explain. smile

Sep 10 13 04:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kaouthia
Posts: 3,152
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom


Erlinda wrote:
I shoot straight on… I don't care if people see me taking their picture.

All three say "Visit Erlinda.ca - Hotlinked Image".  Might want to add MM to the list of allowed domains for hotlinking. wink

Sep 10 13 04:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Virtual Studio
Posts: 5,504
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Honestly I think that shooting "from the hip" is kinda creepy.

If I'm not doing anything I am ashamed of then I dont mind being seen doing it and, if required, called on it. Street shooting is perfectly legal and moral - so why try to take pictures on the sly?

There is an argument that if people see the camera then you become part of the event that's being photographed. ie that people react to the camera. That may be true in some very limited circumstances but really it seems like a false argument for all but the most minimal set of pictures.
Sep 10 13 04:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


-fpc- wrote:
Navy base ?

shoot around Duval
thats where the freaks are..

This is true. But I also wanted to shoot around the base to get a sense of true military working day.

Sep 10 13 05:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Erlinda
Posts: 7,036
London, England, United Kingdom


Kaouthia wrote:

All three say "Visit Erlinda.ca - Hotlinked Image".  Might want to add MM to the list of allowed domains for hotlinking. wink

Ohhhh Really, I can see the images just fine…. Well, thats a shame.

Okie I will get my lover to do that when he's free….

Sep 10 13 05:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Kaouthia wrote:

Yup, occasionally.  If I'm asking if I can shoot them, I'll tell them while I'm asking.  Just be honest and up front with it.  If it's for a particular project, tell them about the project, where they can get more info, see the photos.  If you're just having a go at street photography, tell them you're having a go at street photography.

But, figure out what you're going to say before you get asked. smile

If I'm shooting digital, lit stuff of random people in the street, it's usually some big event going on in whatever town/city I happen to be in, most of them expect to be photographed.  So, when you go up and ask them, 99% of the time they're cool with it.  The three colour shots above were from Rebellion Festival (AKA "Punk Weekend") in Blackpool, England last month.  I was there for three days, and out of all the people I asked, I only got maybe 5 nos (the black & white shot of the 2 punks was from Rebellion 2012).

Apparently, this fella is a solicitor (that's British for lawyer). wink

https://sphotos-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1150274_614316041942168_1961017284_n.jpg

When I'm just shooting black & white, and not generally asking for permission, if I see them notice me after I've got the shot, I'll speak to them before they have a chance to open their mouths, hand them a card, and tell them to get in touch and I'll email them a copy (obviously, if I'm shooting film, I can't just delete it, heh).

If I haven't got the shot yet and they notice me, well, the shot's gone.  So there's really nothing to explain. smile

Yes I guess that would be a way to handle things is to hand them your card...something for me to consider as well.

Sep 10 13 05:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Virtual Studio wrote:
Honestly I think that shooting "from the hip" is kinda creepy.

If I'm not doing anything I am ashamed of then I dont mind being seen doing it and, if required, called on it. Street shooting is perfectly legal and moral - so why try to take pictures on the sly?

There is an argument that if people see the camera then you become part of the event that's being photographed. ie that people react to the camera. That may be true in some very limited circumstances but really it seems like a false argument for all but the most minimal set of pictures.

Well that is something that I was thinking as well that is was creepy (or sneaky)...but as some have pointed out...it tend to give more of a natural action to the image, rather than a posed one.

Honestly I won't fully know until I get out there and try my hand at it.

Most likely I will shoot both ways and see which one feels better or produces better in the end.

Sep 10 13 05:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


What about shooting children? Say jumping through water sprinkler at the local zoo or some other public place?

As a previous Victims advocate and a mother...I am fiercely protective over my kids...but as a photographer...ya know I've seen so many instances where a perfect moment passes right by me simply because I am still in that "Victims Advocate" mode.

I guess that is just something I need to push aside.
Sep 10 13 05:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Erlinda
Posts: 7,036
London, England, United Kingdom


Swank Photography wrote:
What about shooting children? Say jumping through water sprinkler at the local zoo or some other public place?

As a previous Victims advocate and a mother...I am fiercely protective over my kids...but as a photographer...ya know I've seen so many instances where a perfect moment passes right by me simply because I am still in that "Victims Advocate" mode.

I guess that is just something I need to push aside.

Kids are tricky…. I asked when I shoot kids.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/561846_10202227722320153_1094861037_n.jpg

Sep 10 13 05:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Will_DB
Posts: 246
Derby, England, United Kingdom


Swank Photography wrote:
..some talk about shooting from the hip, rather than letting those know you are shooting them.

To me, this is sneaky and overall low. Though I understand why some do this style...not everyone wants their picture taken.

I prefer to shoot through the viewfinder. I like to compose the shot (lol) and I find that in the majority of cases, people do not care or notice that their picture is taken. I figure that if they did care, they would take more notice. Often they assume you are taking a shot of something else, e.g. a building behind them. But again if they really objected they would scuttle away, well away from the camera.

Look industrious and constantly line up new shots. People just see a photographer busy at work and tend to leave you alone.

Sep 10 13 05:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Will_DB
Posts: 246
Derby, England, United Kingdom


Swank Photography wrote:
What about shooting children? Say jumping through water sprinkler at the local zoo or some other public place?

As a previous Victims advocate and a mother...I am fiercely protective over my kids...but as a photographer...ya know I've seen so many instances where a perfect moment passes right by me simply because I am still in that "Victims Advocate" mode.

I guess that is just something I need to push aside.

As a victims advocate, how often was being photographed by strangers implicated in the abuse of a minor?

Sep 10 13 05:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Virtual Studio
Posts: 5,504
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Will_DB wrote:
I prefer to shoot through the viewfinder. I like to compose the shot (lol) and I find that in the majority of cases, people do not care or notice that their picture is taken. I figure that if they did care, they would take more notice. Often they assume you are taking a shot of something else, e.g. a building behind them. But again if they really objected they would scuttle away, well away from the camera.

Look industrious and constantly line up new shots. People just see a photographer busy at work and tend to leave you alone.

Pretty much my experience. Although I think it helps to be using something small and discrete (like an old film camera XA or similar) or a mirrorless rather than a giant computer looking thing with a huge white lens strapped to it.

Sep 10 13 05:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
4 R D
Posts: 1,004
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico


Most, if not all of ultra-orthodox street photographers despise hip-shooting for different reasons.

One of them is the prejudiced thinking that hipshooting implies that you are acting dishonestly, deceptive. As if somehow the photographer was obligated to make it super-obvious that he is taking pictures so no one can claim to be caught off-guard. Problem is, people have different degrees of awareness. Some would not know that a picture is being taken even when the camera is right in front of them while others can spot you hip-shooting from across a crowded room. You might as well blow a whistle before every shot to ensure maximum transparency. Absurd.

Then there is also the instant assumption that hip-shooting means "acting like you are doing something else" which not always is true. You can be standing in front of a person, pointing your camera at him/her at waist level, not hiding the fact that you are making a picture. When done right, this approach is much less agressive-looking, specially if you are tall and bulky.

The argument I find less debatable against hip-shooting is that it makes it more difficult to create good pictures because you are not seeing what you are photographing. Why would you play against the odds when the alternative -shooting from the viewfinder- gives you a better chance to succeed?

Having said this, I think that hip-shooting is a skill that can be developed and any serious street photographer should master, even though that over the years the tendency of an experienced photographer will be to do it less often.
Sep 10 13 07:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
4 R D
Posts: 1,004
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico


Swank Photography wrote:
Also, I've been thinking that when I do try to shoot some street, I might want to keep it black and white for visual impact...thoughts?

Troll question: What is it in black and white that provides "visual impact" to a street photograph? smile

I swear, every beginner makes the same mistake, I know I did it too. That somehow, for some reason, a true street photograph should be created only in black and white just for the sake of it. It is like this idea that a true art nude photograph should be shot only in black and white chiaroscuro.

Shoot in whatever fashion feels right for you, just do not feel obligated to replicate any aesthetic in particular.

Sep 10 13 07:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
fullmetalphotographer
Posts: 2,694
Fresno, California, US


Swank Photography wrote:
Ok so I've been mulling over about trying my hand at some street photography lately.

I've been reading up on it, studied several who have done it and their style, etc.

The one thing that makes me wonder (actually a few things, but this really makes me twist my face in a question mark)...some talk about shooting from the hip, rather than letting those know you are shooting them.

To me, this is sneaky and overall low. Though I understand why some do this style...not everyone wants their picture taken.

For those who do street photography...what are your thoughts about shooting from the hip?

Also, I've been thinking that when I do try to shoot some street, I might want to keep it black and white for visual impact...thoughts?

Thanks guys smile

I will take two Nikon D3 cameras one with a AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, the other with a AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED. I will also take my AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

I don't sneak around what I tend to do is hangout and just become part of the scenery. For me the sneaking around is silly and rude.I have enough fun playing tag with the cops.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3117/2566410047_100f288357.jpg
LightsCoffeeAction33060808 by FullMetalPhotographer, on Flickr

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4108/4843409102_ec4cc60565.jpg
CheckPoint14011210 by FullMetalPhotographer, on Flickr

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3720/9722858502_05d796d3fc.jpg
strawberries01052107 by FullMetalPhotographer, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5483/9722936332_5a423ebdd1.jpg
wetkids04050707 by FullMetalPhotographer, on Flickr

Sep 10 13 11:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kaouthia
Posts: 3,152
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom


Swank Photography wrote:
What about shooting children? Say jumping through water sprinkler at the local zoo or some other public place?

I'm not interested in shooting kids, so tend to avoid them.  They have to be doing something pretty amusing/amazing already for me to want to photograph them.

But, then, if they are, asking their parents breaks that dynamic again 99% of the time.  If I'm shooting digital, however, I will always approach the parent afterwards, and show them the image, give them a card and tell them to get in touch and I'll email over a copy.

I got a couple of shots of a kid (maybe 2) with his mother feeding the ducks by the edge of the river (right on the edge) a few weeks ago.  I saw a small group of ducks creeping up silently behind them.  I knew they were going to surprise/scare the shit out of the little kid when they showed up, and I was secretly hoping they may fall in once they noticed the ducks behind them.

The kid did freak out, but they didn't fall in.  But, the whole situation would've been gone had I asked first.  I spoke to the mum after, gave her a card, emailed her the photo, and she was over the moon with it.

Sep 11 13 12:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R Michael Walker
Posts: 11,960
Costa Mesa, California, US


I always did head on street shots. Tripod and large or medium format. Not JUST for the quality but also because it was an ice breaker. And no one ever accused me of sneaking a shot. LOL! I only have a couple examples posted here on MM that were used in Ilford ads.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130730/02/51f7864c3e1ff.jpg
Sep 11 13 01:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Erlinda wrote:

Kids are tricky…. I asked when I shoot kids.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/561846_10202227722320153_1094861037_n.jpg

Good shot...but aren't the parents suspicious?

Sep 12 13 10:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhillipM
Posts: 6,277
Martin, Tennessee, US


I've always engaged my subjects.

http://www.keepsakephotography.us/FILM/Filmman2.jpg
Sep 12 13 10:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


Will_DB wrote:

As a victims advocate, how often was being photographed by strangers implicated in the abuse of a minor?

There was actually 1 case where a so called neighbor/friend who laid claim to be a photographer where he was actually taking semi nude shots of the small children, then fondling them.

It was also later discovered that he was selling his images to his friends.

I mean, like I said earlier. My years as a Victims Advocate, I have seen a lot of fucked up shit (and some funny shit as well don't get me wrong here).

My youngest sexual molestation vic was a 3 year old little girl. My youngest suicide vic was a 12 year old boy (he killed himself after the court found his mother not guilty of abusing him sexually/physically, etc.).

I've had cases where a husband ties up his wife to a bed pose, entices a junk yard german shepherd to have sex with her (she was allergic to dog hair), video tape it, then charge his friends a "weekly video watching fee", while his wife was forced to make sandwiches/drinks and serve them while they watched the video.

^That^ came to me after the woman kept going to her doctor for allergy related medical attention, then finally, she just broke down one day and revealed the situation, while crying.

So I mean...my previous career as a Victim Advocate, I had seen quite a bit of ugliness in humanity so when I finally walked away I wanted something completely separate from the blood and tears I had been working with for the 10+ years prior.

But still yet, those cases don't magically go away either. I am aware of the potential ugliness that is out there.

Not only that, I am a strong believer in personal space and privacy. I had situations where clients had actually shown up at my door over the weekends because they needed to talk or something was wrong and that is a HUGE no no.

Sometimes if they were to see me out and about...say grocery shopping or having a meal out with family or just hubby, they would come up and try to "discuss" cases related things and that also was a huge no no.

But because I live in a small island, everyone knows everyone and where they live.

So I had to really enforce personal lines and boundaries.

Hence why as a photographer I am strongly attracted to street photography and will be trying my hand at it, but also as a previous Victim Advocate, I am aware that people do have this personal safety bubble (personal space more or less), even out on the street.

Also when it comes to children, some parents are extremely (perhaps even a bit overly) protective when their children are out in public.

I have 2 clients now in fact that I have shot for and am still shooting their children and I have to sign a contract agreeing that their childrens images will never be shown in public or used on my website for any means.

To be honest, the whole thing about children came about because not to long ago I had seen a group of children playing in the water sprinklers over at Miami Zoo, it was sorta mid to late afternoon, the light was perfect, and the kids were just having a blast.

Anyhow I sat and watched and thought to myself "Man if I were to shoot a few frames of this, it would be amazing!" and I had my camera in my hand as well.

I had turned on my camera and started to pull it to my face, when I noticed a mother staring at me with a stone look on her face. So I nodded and smiled, then acted as if I was focusing my camera and cleaning it instead.

I never did get those images...but they haunt me. I'm telling you, the whole set up was just magical...everything came together.

And yes, hindsight being 20/20, I kinda blame myself for not getting those images too. There would have been zero wrong with me getting those images in reality.

That is why I know this is something I need to work out and separate,

I'm getting there.

Sep 12 13 11:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


PhillipM wrote:
I've always engaged my subjects.

http://www.keepsakephotography.us/FILM/Filmman2.jpg

Great shot...now did you offer him any money or anything?

Sep 12 13 11:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Will_DB
Posts: 246
Derby, England, United Kingdom


R Michael Walker wrote:
I always did head on street shots. Tripod and large or medium format. Not JUST for the quality but also because it was an ice breaker. And no one ever accused me of sneaking a shot. LOL! I only have a couple examples posted here on MM that were used in Ilford ads.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130730/02/51f7864c3e1ff.jpg

Now THAT is a fantastic image. Not sure if I'd call it 'Street', but I do call it 'Awesome'!

Sep 12 13 11:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


R Michael Walker wrote:
I always did head on street shots. Tripod and large or medium format. Not JUST for the quality but also because it was an ice breaker. And no one ever accused me of sneaking a shot. LOL! I only have a couple examples posted here on MM that were used in Ilford ads.
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130730/02/51f7864c3e1ff.jpg

Love that! Now I've read where it is recommended to use tripods for night street photography as well.

Sep 12 13 11:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,987
Key West, Florida, US


fullmetalphotographer wrote:
I will take two Nikon D3 cameras one with a AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, the other with a AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED. I will also take my AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

I don't sneak around what I tend to do is hangout and just become part of the scenery. For me the sneaking around is silly and rude.I have enough fun playing tag with the cops.

All great shots! See now, the last time I tried to shoot cops doing an arrest, I actually got glared at by the cops and hubby pulled me back and advised me that I could be arrested for interfering with an arrest if I were to piss them off.

Needless to say we debated and semi argued over that for several minutes.

I was capturing some traffic accident images for a local fire department (I had been asked previously to go out with my daughter, who was a volunteer, and get some shots for the departments use, etc.) and while I was , there was this one woman getting out from her car, walking over to the cops and complaining about me.

The cop looked at me, started walking my direction and when he got to me he told me flatly that I had to move 500 feet away from the scene or be arrested.

Now, what I did was motion for my daughter that I was being told to move away, she went and got her sarg. and the matter was remedied to where I was allowed to go back to my shooting where I was (which wasn't up in the vics faces, or anything, but I was pretty damn close).

But see,the bubba system down here with the LEO is rough. You piss one off, you have a hard time getting anything done without having a hassle.

Like I said...small island.

Sep 12 13 11:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JBerman Photography
Posts: 1,096
New York, New York, US


Sep 12 13 11:27 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers