login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > To my kitchen enthuesist.. Search   Reply
Photographer
Wicked Photos
Posts: 7,581
New York, New York, US


i need a new knife for work. i am having a hard time deciding between german and japanese knives. what do you like? i like the germans because of their built and i like the somewhat curved blades. the latter because they are strong and will last a long time. the only thing i dont like is the flatness. pictures along with suggestions will help smile

http://korin.com/Misono-Molybdenum-Yo-D … ory=280076

so far i got my eyes set on this bad boy.
Sep 13 13 11:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
tenrocK photo
Posts: 5,424
New York, New York, US


Chef's knife? Check Global in a store on Bowery. Great bang for the $
Sep 14 13 01:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,694
Maricopa, Arizona, US


You might also check out MAC

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/index.php


Very nice. I've used them for years.  You didn't mention what type of food you like to cook. The German blades are hefty. The problem is that they are not up to the task if you like to cut things paper thin because the blades are too thick (Try making paper-thin carrot slices with the typical German knife. It just ain't gonna happen. MAC's are more like razor-blades with a handle. Very thin blades that will easily slice a carrot so thin that you can almost see through it (Kind of important if you like making Japanese garnishes such as carrot butterflies, zucchini palm tress and such). MACs are particularly well suited for making things like Pho.

FWIW
Sep 14 13 05:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
aimez-moi
Posts: 275
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia


Wicked Photos wrote:
the latter because they are strong and will last a long time.

The german knives don't come with a lifetime warranty?

Sep 14 13 05:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 21,532
Portland, Oregon, US


Japanese knives, with their straight edge, are designed for people who chop, using an up & down motion.

German (Western) knives, with the curved cutting edge, are designed for people who chop, using a rocking motion.

That should be a significant deciding factor for you -- when you are mincing stuff, do you rock the blade or move it up & down off the cutting board?
Sep 14 13 11:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wicked Photos
Posts: 7,581
New York, New York, US


Looknsee Photography wrote:
Japanese knives, with their straight edge, are designed for people who chop, using an up & down motion.

German (Western) knives, with the curved cutting edge, are designed for people who chop, using a rocking motion.

That should be a significant deciding factor for you -- when you are mincing stuff, do you rock the blade or move it up & down off the cutting board?

Rock the blade. But that's mince. If I am slicing, I do up and down. But scallions, I gotta rock it. I did see a Japanese knife that was slightly Curved and a good size.

Sep 14 13 05:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wicked Photos
Posts: 7,581
New York, New York, US


aimez-moi wrote:

The german knives don't come with a lifetime warranty?

Don't know. Never had one.

Sep 14 13 05:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wicked Photos
Posts: 7,581
New York, New York, US


tenrocK photo wrote:
Chef's knife? Check Global in a store on Bowery. Great bang for the $

Cool.. Thanks. I will look it up

Sep 14 13 05:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Connor Photography
Posts: 6,539
Elkton, Maryland, US


Recently, just out of curiosity, I bought a ceramic knife form Harbor Freight for 10 bucks.  That sucker is sharper than anything I have ever used.  smile
Sep 14 13 05:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 27,367
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


the only porsche ive ever cared about is the knife that seems to be good for cutting EVERYTHING that we have. im not sure why we only have one of them, its fantastic
Sep 14 13 06:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andrew Thomas Evans
Posts: 24,078
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


Lohkee wrote:
You might also check out MAC

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/index.php

FWIW

OMG I WANT THIS!

http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/product … knife.html




Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Sep 14 13 06:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wicked Photos
Posts: 7,581
New York, New York, US


Connor Photography wrote:
Recently, just out of curiosity, I bought a ceramic knife form Harbor Freight for 10 bucks.  That sucker is sharper than anything I have ever used.  smile

Yea I am used to metal peelers but the ceramic one at work was sharp! It cut my nail too  :-(

Sep 14 13 06:25 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,539
Baltimore, Maryland, US


I love my Shun blades, but they seem to dull pretty fast, and they are ground at a weird angle so its hard to resharpen them. They are beautiful, and look great on my magnetic knife-strip on my counter.

I recently purchased some 'cheap' utility knives for everyday use - Mercer Genesis. They are made in Taiwan from German steel, and are really sharp - as sharp as the Shuns were new. The blades are more flexible, and the handles are a ruberized plastic. Not wall hangers, but very good value.
Sep 15 13 07:14 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,539
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Wicked Photos wrote:
http://korin.com/Misono-Molybdenum-Yo-D … ory=280076

Damn you. I can see myself buying a new knife in the near future..

Sep 15 13 07:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wicked Photos
Posts: 7,581
New York, New York, US


Robb Mann wrote:
I love my Shun blades, but they seem to dull pretty fast, and they are ground at a weird angle so its hard to resharpen them. They are beautiful, and look great on my magnetic knife-strip on my counter.

I recently purchased some 'cheap' utility knives for everyday use - Mercer Genesis. They are made in Taiwan from German steel, and are really sharp - as sharp as the Shuns were new. The blades are more flexible, and the handles are a ruberized plastic. Not wall hangers, but very good value.

Did you use.it a lot for it to get full or it just doesn't hold edge? I saw a few shun knives online and it was just right. Mercer is decent. They are sturdy for price.

I was working and cut myself bad yesterday. Thank goodness for liquid bandage  :-)
Wasn't a fancy knife but it's was big, new and very sharp

Sep 15 13 11:03 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply