login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > at what age you stopped going to the night club? Search   Reply
first12
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 14,527
New York, New York, US


Orca Bay Images wrote:

The club I worked at thirty-plus years ago had live music at least four nights a week. Robert Cray, Ronnie Montrose, Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, Junior Walker and the All-Stars, Albert Collins, Queen Ida (zydeco), Eek-a-Mouse (reggae), Nicolette Larson, just off the top of my head.

How damn cool.

Sep 14 13 02:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
kickfight
Posts: 26,044
Portland, Oregon, US


kickfight wrote:
Tell me you went to CBGB&OMFUG at some point. It doesn't have to be true. Just lie to me and tell me you saw The Ramones or Talking Heads or Television in the prime of their ascent.
Jules NYC wrote:
For some reason, I don't think of those establishments as 'clubs'.

Agreed, but then again the term seems to be applied to just about any music venue.

CBGB (Country, BlueGrass, and Blues) was a music club at 315 Bowery at Bleecker Street in the borough of Manhattan in New York City.

When I hear the word "club" I usually think of what in my very early years was called a "disco", where people went to dance to recorded music.

Sep 14 13 02:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 14,527
New York, New York, US


kickfight wrote:

kickfight wrote:
Tell me you went to CBGB&OMFUG at some point. It doesn't have to be true. Just lie to me and tell me you saw The Ramones or Talking Heads or Television in the prime of their ascent.

Agreed, but then again the term seems to be applied to just about any music venue.

CBGB (Country, BlueGrass, and Blues) was a music club at 315 Bowery at Bleecker Street in the borough of Manhattan in New York City.

When I hear the word "club" I usually think of what in my very early years was called a "disco", where people went to dance to recorded music.

True.

I think of 'club' the places where people pack in to listen to pop or rap music overdubbed with a bad DJ.

Even the 'clubs' in NYC are nauseating musically these days.

Bars?
Venues?
Halls?
Ballrooms?

A different story

Sep 14 13 03:01 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 5,644
New York, New York, US


A-M-P wrote:
When did you realized you were the old chick or old dude at the club lol

I never did and I never cared--and I haven't really stopped, but I have slowed down significantly since I quit drinking.

On the other hand, my definition of a "night club", i.e. a place of live musical and/or comedic entertainment that serves alcoholic beverages, is a bit different from what young chicks and dudes describe as a "night club", i.e. a place with overly loud recorded music, sometimes presented by a "DJ", where one drinks and/or scores other forms of mind-altering substances in hopes of getting laid.  The process of which is enhanced by means of highly modified lighting which sometimes leads one, upon awakening and discovering that with which (s)he has spent the night, to swear "Never again!"

I must admit, however, that my experience with the latter was a single cast party where one of the producers had a part interest in such a club, so that definition may be somewhat skewed---but probably not by much.

Actually, my weakness was, and still is when I can find them,  a Jazz club or a piano bar.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Sep 14 13 03:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vivus Hussein Denuo
Posts: 63,314
New York, New York, US


kickfight wrote:

Tell me you went to CBGB&OMFUG at some point. It doesn't have to be true. Just lie to me and tell me you saw The Ramones or Talking Heads or Television in the prime of their ascent.

Yes, I did all of that, of course.

Sep 14 13 03:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paolo Diavolo
Posts: 7,846
Pleasant Hill, California, US


Magic Forests wrote:
I've never been. sad

we can go baby, when youre old enough.
then I can be the old guy in there.

Sep 14 13 03:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Magic Forests
Posts: 528
Pleasant Hill, California, US


Paolo Diavolo wrote:

we can go baby, when youre old enough.
then I can be the old guy in there.

You're already the old guy.

Sep 14 13 03:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
kickfight
Posts: 26,044
Portland, Oregon, US


Vivus Hussein Denuo wrote:
Yes, I did all of that, of course.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE You saw The Ramones at CBGB!!!!!!!! smile smile smile

(Thanks for playing along, Vivus. lol)

Sep 14 13 04:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
kickfight
Posts: 26,044
Portland, Oregon, US


Wow, the "club" stuff I used to hear/play back in the day sounds so very quaint and adorable now. tongue

Soft Cell - Sex Dwarf
New Order - Everything's Gone Green
Front 242 - Funkahdafi
Cabaret Voltaire - Sensoria
Einst├╝rzende Neubauten - Yu-Gung
Yello - The Evening's Young
Age of Chance - Crush Collision
Laibach - Two Of Us (Beatles cover)
Ministry - Where You at Now/Crash and Burn/Twitch

Since then there's been Lionrock and Chemical Brothers (this song triggers my ASMR something fierce) and Crystal Method and BT and Fatboy Slim and all sorts of other cool stuff, all the way up to Deadmau5 and Skrillex and Daft Punk.

I suppose digging this stuff in the proper context requires giving oneself fully unto the beat. That's never been a problem for me. smile
Sep 14 13 04:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
aspergianLens
Posts: 1,395
San Francisco, California, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
I never started

I never did either.  With sensitive hearing, nightclubs are no fun at all.

Sep 14 13 04:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 3,001
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


I plan to continue to go until such a time I'm no longer allowed in. I mainly go for the drinks and the attention anyway (oops...attention whore on the loose tongue) I did take my fiance along with me when he was "in country".

Danielle Reid
Sep 14 13 04:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 14,527
New York, New York, US


Danielle Reid wrote:
I plan to continue to go until such a time I'm no longer allowed in. I mainly go for the drinks and the attention anyway (oops...attention whore on the loose tongue) I did take my fiance along with me when he was "in country".

Danielle Reid

Your self-deprecating humour amuses me.
tongue

Sep 14 13 05:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vivus Hussein Denuo
Posts: 63,314
New York, New York, US


aspergianLens wrote:

I never did either.  With sensitive hearing, nightclubs are no fun at all.

Yeah, when I was a teen, I liked my music LOUD!  But when older, and I went to bars and clubs, I wanted to be able to hear myself talk, which was often impossible.  How could I pick up somebody if she couldn't hear my smooth lines???

Sep 14 13 05:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 3,001
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Jules NYC wrote:

Your self-deprecating humour amuses me.
tongue

I'd rather do it than let other people have the pleasure wink

Danielle Reid

Sep 14 13 05:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Amadea T
Posts: 3,062
Columbus, Ohio, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:

No!   big_smile

Try and stop me, Jerry.
big_smile

Sep 14 13 08:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 14,527
New York, New York, US


Danielle Reid wrote:

I'd rather do it than let other people have the pleasure wink

Danielle Reid

Ah ha ha!

I wish I could buy you a beer.

Sep 14 13 08:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris Rifkin
Posts: 24,138
Tampa, Florida, US


kickfight wrote:

Tell me you went to CBGB&OMFUG at some point. It doesn't have to be true. Just lie to me and tell me you saw The Ramones or Talking Heads or Television in the prime of their ascent.

I saw Crimson Glory there at their peak...not exactly what anyone thinks of when going to CBGB

Sep 14 13 09:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 3,001
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Jules NYC wrote:

Ah ha ha!

I wish I could buy you a beer.

I'd gladly take it smile

Danielle Reid

Sep 14 13 10:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hikari Tech Photography
Posts: 791
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


A-M-P wrote:
When did you realized you were the old chick or old dude at the club lol

I haven't reach that milestone yet but the reason I stopped going was mainly because...

1. I was no longer mixing in the booth

2. Way too busy with other things

3. The 'scene' wasn't what it used to be (here in Vancouver)

4. I moved back to Vancouver

Oh, I still go to clubs just not here anymore. Tokyo spoiled me for that. wink

Sep 14 13 10:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,304
Maumee, Ohio, US


i used to think the old guys at the club were too old to be there. but then i realized those are the ones who buy me drinks, since no one my age ever hits on me. so you're never too old to go! lol
Sep 15 13 05:53 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,304
Maumee, Ohio, US


kickfight wrote:
Wow, the "club" stuff I used to hear/play back in the day sounds so very quaint and adorable now. tongue

Soft Cell - Sex Dwarf
New Order - Everything's Gone Green
Front 242 - Funkahdafi
Cabaret Voltaire - Sensoria
Einst├╝rzende Neubauten - Yu-Gung
Yello - The Evening's Young
Age of Chance - Crush Collision
Laibach - Two Of Us (Beatles cover)
Ministry - Where You at Now/Crash and Burn/Twitch

Since then there's been Lionrock and Chemical Brothers (this song triggers my ASMR something fierce) and Crystal Method and BT and Fatboy Slim and all sorts of other cool stuff, all the way up to Deadmau5 and Skrillex and Daft Punk.

I suppose digging this stuff in the proper context requires giving oneself fully unto the beat. That's never been a problem for me. smile

niiiiiiiiiiiiice! now that shizz i can dance to.

Sep 15 13 05:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
C.C. Holdings
Posts: 590
New York, New York, US


I hated it


but then during the populist revolution, throughout several major cities smoking was banned in clubs

and club commerce boomed, including a resurgence of patrons much like myself
Sep 15 13 06:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
aspergianLens
Posts: 1,395
San Francisco, California, US


Vivus Hussein Denuo wrote:

Yeah, when I was a teen, I liked my music LOUD!  But when older, and I went to bars and clubs, I wanted to be able to hear myself talk, which was often impossible.  How could I pick up somebody if she couldn't hear my smooth lines???

I meant that my ears are quite sensitive, in general.  Music at a volume that's normal for some people is outright painful for me.  Certain frequencies are unpleasant as well.

As a kid I could hear those ultrasonic pest repellent devices.  Some didn't believe me, but I could (just barely) hear the fucking things - and it's not pleasant at all.

So, yes I can hear above the usual frequency limit for most people, still, I believe.

Sep 15 13 06:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
37photog
Posts: 692
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


Clubs?? Probably close to 30.  However I still went out with friends to nice bars etc for another several years.  Till 35 or so.  Finally, all the marraiges, kids, and closely becoming "the old guy in the club" kicked in.  Now I might go out for a few beers to a local bar or meet up with a friend now & then, tho it's pretty rare TBH.  I'm 40 now, fwiw.
Sep 15 13 07:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sjx
Posts: 804
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Ya no
stopped going to clubs was likely:

17. Little too under
18. Little too old 
19. Must have the fake ID.

Anyway, the age at which I must have erroniouseley

20. 25.
21. Busted!


Whateve...
Sep 15 13 04:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
T Brown
Posts: 2,135
Traverse City, Michigan, US


My house is da club... say what...  tongue
Sep 15 13 04:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hikari Tech Photography
Posts: 791
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


C.C. Holdings  wrote:
I hated it


but then during the populist revolution, throughout several major cities smoking was banned in clubs

and club commerce boomed, including a resurgence of patrons much like myself

Oddly that's about the only good thing that happened in Vancouver with the clubs. They still smoke in most of the clubs in Tokyo though... sad

Sep 15 13 07:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hikari Tech Photography
Posts: 791
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


aspergianLens wrote:

I meant that my ears are quite sensitive, in general.  Music at a volume that's normal for some people is outright painful for me.  Certain frequencies are unpleasant as well.

As a kid I could hear those ultrasonic pest repellent devices.  Some didn't believe me, but I could (just barely) hear the fucking things - and it's not pleasant at all.

So, yes I can hear above the usual frequency limit for most people, still, I believe.

Some clubs didn't have a good sound man on hand so the sound was always too shrill.

You must have hated CRT monitors and TV's too. I could hear the tube 'hiss' which was as pleasant as the headache from watching a CRT monitor left at it's default 60Hz refresh rate. Remember that?

Sep 15 13 07:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
tenrocK photo
Posts: 5,395
New York, New York, US


Jules NYC wrote:
Um, 16 with my fake ID?

Clubs suck and play usually terrible music.

I would however would love to go to a club where they played 70's music or select dance tunes, nothing with a whistle and droned deep bass thanks!

Canal Room on Fridays night. Saturday is 80's night there.

Sep 15 13 08:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ZingArts
Posts: 15,076
Westcliffe, Colorado, US


ontherocks wrote:
i stopped going after college. my biggest complaint was that often you can't talk in those places because the music is too loud. but maybe people aren't there for talk :-;

Bingo! Can you believe that one fine day (actually night) at the favorite bar I put in some ear plugs and took a good look at where I was (physically and in life). Then I saw a woman kind of leaning her ear on her shoulder and "pretending" to hold her beer bottle next to the other ear. I knew, yes, I knew where she was in her mind. So I went to the bar and retrieved a paper napkin and scribbled a note. It read "I sure could use finding a place that is quiet and cozy - Want to help me find it?" A late night dinner at Chin's Wok In was perfect. We talked until 4 a.m.

Sep 15 13 09:29 pm  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers