login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Life of Pi Search   Reply
Photographer
Connor Photography
Posts: 6,426
Elkton, Maryland, US


Just saw the movie last nite.  Man.......  What a powerful movie!!!  CG was superb.   I should have seen this earlier, I am glad I did.

Go to see this if you haven't
Sep 26 13 01:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cosplay Creatives
Posts: 10,714
Amundsen-Scott - permanent station of the US, Unclaimed Sector, Antarctica


I saw it while over at a friends.  It really was interesting.
Sep 26 13 01:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
T Brown
Posts: 2,383
Traverse City, Michigan, US


I almost didn't finish watching it, thought it started a little slow but glad I waited.
Sep 26 13 02:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,912
Buena Park, California, US


Connor Photography wrote:
Just saw the movie last nite.  Man.......  What a powerful movie!!!  CG was superb.   I should have seen this earlier, I am glad I did.

Go to see this if you haven't

I need to see it again. I feel asleep towards the end.  I think I got the jist of everything, but I think I missed some very important scenes/dialog.

Sep 26 13 02:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tony Lawrence
Posts: 19,015
Chicago, Illinois, US


Christopher Hartman wrote:

I need to see it again. I feel asleep towards the end.  I think I got the jist of everything, but I think I missed some very important scenes/dialog.

Hi, Chris.   See it again.   Something happens near the end of the movie.   Its a beautiful and moving film for those who haven't seen it.

Sep 26 13 03:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 53,912
Buena Park, California, US


Tony Lawrence wrote:

Hi, Chris.   See it again.   Something happens near the end of the movie.   Its a beautiful and moving film for those who haven't seen it.

I might have woken up just in time to know what you're talking about...but I might not have...so Id on't want to say anything .

Sep 26 13 03:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ME_
Posts: 3,133
Atlanta, Georgia, US


I just saw it too and now I really regret not seeing it in a theater.

I read all the IMDB message boards and there is a lot of "this is a story to make you believe in god." I didn't see it that way at all - in fact the whole "I like the better story" aspect seems to mean the opposite to me.

Anyway I loved it and will watch it again before it's gone from On Demand. There's one scene during the sinking that I thought showed something that I thought I had not seen right, but maybe I did after all.

It's hard to talk about this without giving things away!
Sep 26 13 04:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Connor Photography
Posts: 6,426
Elkton, Maryland, US


This is really an intelligent story/movie which has a profound impact on its viewers.  How much and what it will influence you is largely dependent on your past experiences/upbring.  So many of us will walk away with many different meanings.

It is a cool movie.  I think I will watch again.

There was one line that I though was very funny.  When Pi's father tells him that the family is going to America.  He uses the example of Christopher Columbus to discover America.  But Pi replies that Columbus was not going to America, he was looking for India.  That was so funny.  Pi is a smart kid.
Sep 26 13 04:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
37photog
Posts: 692
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


I agree, I thought it was really good. CG was great.  TBH tho,  I did feel it was about 20 minutes too long.  Definitely has a lull about an hour into it or so. Great ending, it redeemed itself.
Sep 26 13 04:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
FallenEcho
Posts: 1,177
Escondido, California, US


I honestly didn't think this movie was that great at all. The CG for the animals was not good at all often changing how big or small they were. The landscape at times was pretty, but not enough to make this a movie I would watch again. The ending was probably the best part of the movie.
Sep 26 13 05:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tony Lawrence
Posts: 19,015
Chicago, Illinois, US


FallenEcho wrote:
I honestly didn't think this movie was that great at all. The CG for the animals was not good at all often changing how big or small they were. The landscape at times was pretty, but not enough to make this a movie I would watch again. The ending was probably the best part of the movie.

That was done on purpose.   (The CGI)   Those that like Life of Pi might enjoy this film:   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Sep 26 13 05:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
Christopher Willingham
Posts: 21,859
Long Beach, California, US


Great looking movie
Sep 26 13 07:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image Works Photography
Posts: 2,890
Orlando, Florida, US


I read the book 2 years before the movie came out. It was part of a literature class. Interesting read- I should owe it to myself in seeing the movie.
Sep 26 13 08:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Joann Empson
Posts: 430
Walnut Creek, California, US


The CG was done by artists at Rhythm & Hues, and guess what operating system they use?

From the Behind the Scenes footage from Life of Pi, GNU/Linux (the SuSE distro):

http://i.imgur.com/UQBTRdG.jpg
Sep 26 13 08:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
aspergianLens
Posts: 1,856
Sacramento, California, US


Joann Empson wrote:
The CG was done by artists at Rhythm & Hues, and guess what operating system they use?

From the Behind the Scenes footage from Life of Pi, GNU/Linux (the SuSE distro):

http://i.imgur.com/UQBTRdG.jpg

Not too surprising.  Perhaps they used CinePaint on that movie?

Sep 26 13 09:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Snowmonkey Design
Posts: 4,633
London, England, United Kingdom


hmm, first thought nope movie would not interest me..then got it on DVD and watched it in 3D....one of my favourite films..loved it. smile
Sep 27 13 01:40 am  Link  Quote 
Model
FallenEcho
Posts: 1,177
Escondido, California, US


Tony Lawrence wrote:

That was done on purpose.   (The CGI)   Those that like Life of Pi might enjoy this film:   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Oh? 

Now see I loved Pan's labyrinth. It is difficult to put the two in the same category.

Sep 27 13 02:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Snowmonkey Design
Posts: 4,633
London, England, United Kingdom


Tony Lawrence wrote:

That was done on purpose.   (The CGI)   Those that like Life of Pi might enjoy this film:   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

hmm brilliant film 1+ Pan Labyrinth smile

Sep 27 13 03:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


What kind of Pie is it?

I'm not watching any movie about a Pie until I know the contents.
Sep 27 13 03:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Snowmonkey Design
Posts: 4,633
London, England, United Kingdom


Drew Smith Photography wrote:
What kind of Pie is it?

I'm not watching any movie about a Pie until I know the contents.

hmm, a mixture of wild boar, short horn beef, belly pork n ale with a mushroom, cream n ale sauce served with roast tatties. wink

Sep 27 13 03:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Snowmonkey Design wrote:

hmm, a mixture of wild boar, short horn beef, belly pork n ale with a mushroom, cream n ale sauce served with roast tatties. wink

Hmm, that kind of Pi eh?

In which case I will only watch 3.14159% of the movie.

Sep 27 13 04:08 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Eliza C new portfolio
Posts: 3,344
Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom


Great movie raising much to think about on many levels. I am not a lover of CGI but this wasn't too bad.
Loved Pans Labyrinth too. Also if you like movies like these I recommend 'Welcome to Dongmakgol' and also 'the Fall'
Sep 27 13 10:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brian Diaz
Posts: 62,464
Danbury, Connecticut, US


Whenever I hear about Life of Pi, I really want it to be a sequel to Pi.

http://ourbrainhurtsalot.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/pi-darren-aronofsky-sean-gullatte-sci-fi-film-head1.jpg
Sep 27 13 11:08 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers