Forums > Photography Talk > Photographing black models, do anything different?

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't have much experience photographing black models, i've heard that to get it right you need to make some changes with regards to lighting.  Is this true and if so what are some things i should know.

Sep 02 05 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I don't do anything differently, including the exposure.  I think you need to watch your background colors though.  Some don't work.  I shot one model on red last week and I'm not too crazy about the results.

Paul

Sep 02 05 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

CameraSight

Roselle Park, New Jersey, US

It depend upon the model's skin tone ... If you are working with a very dark skin model, watch out for high contrast. Keep it soft . You may have to open up a stop or use a hightlight on the face to get good tone and texture.

Sep 02 05 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

Morphine Dream wrote:
I don't have much experience photographing black models, i've heard that to get it right you need to make some changes with regards to lighting.  Is this true and if so what are some things i should know.

For sure, you want to avoid overexposure.  If you're using a reflective meter, carefully select an area of the model's face that you will spot.  Depending on the model's complexion, that spot should be placed anwhere from upper Zone IV through mid to upper Zone V.

If you use an incident meter, you should be pretty much right on, but you may wish to bracket towards a bit of underexposure.

With light skin, you model the face with shadows.  With darker skin, you are most likely going to find yourself modeling with highlights.  Be patient, move your lights around, and bracket your exposures.

Sep 02 05 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Belair wrote:
If you use an incident meter, you should be pretty much right on, but you may wish to bracket towards a bit of underexposure.

I shot my first black model a couple weeks ago and another photographer friend of mine suggested this method of metering and it worked like a charm. To be honest, I was worried about the results. But I'll tell ya, it was much easier than shooting many white chicks.

Sep 02 05 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

if you are photographing just black models, the few small suggestions presented so far will be ok.. The real problems start if you have mixed ethniticies.. Like lets say a black & white model.
you then need to focus more light on just the black model so that the two models look balanced. (and usually you want to bounce the light in)...

The problem really bit me in the ass two shoots. the first time, it shocked me just how much a difference..You could barely see the black model.  The second time i thought i was prepared but still did not have enough light power to solve the problem for my particular shoot. They say the third time is a charm.. i need to buy a 3K light and some accessories.

do an internet search using words like "lighting mixed ethniticies" or such, you'll find much discussion on the cinematography forums,etc...

--utako

Sep 02 05 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Belair wrote:

For sure, you want to avoid overexposure.  If you're using a reflective meter, carefully select an area of the model's face that you will spot.  Depending on the model's complexion, that spot should be placed anwhere from upper Zone IV through mid to upper Zone V.

With light skin, you model the face with shadows.  With darker skin, you are most likely going to find yourself modeling with highlights.  Be patient, move your lights around, and bracket your exposures.

That makes sense.. thanks.

Sep 02 05 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

utako omori wrote:
if you are photographing just black models, the few small suggestions presented so far will be ok.. The real problems start if you have mixed ethniticies.. Like lets say a black & white model.
you then need to focus more light on just the black model so that the two models look balanced. (and usually you want to bounce the light in)...

The problem really bit me in the ass two shoots. the first time, it shocked me just how much a difference..You could barely see the black model.  The second time i thought i was prepared but still did not have enough light power to solve the problem for my particular shoot. They say the third time is a charm.. i need to buy a 3K light and some accessories.

do an internet search using words like "lighting mixed ethniticies" or such, you'll find much discussion on the cinematography forums,etc...

--utako

I assume you were using a reflective meter?  With an incident meter it wouldn't matter.  Light's light.  That's why wedding photographers can get both the bride and groom correctly exposed in the same shot.

Paul

Sep 02 05 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

utako omori wrote:

--utako

Mixed scenarios can cause a problem, especially when using a reflective meter.

Most White people have skin that falls somewhere in Zone VI.  Black people have skin that falls in a range anywhere from Zone IV up into Zone VI.  Careful spotmetering of critical areas of each subject will help you place important details in the proper Zone.  An incident reading will give pretty good results.  However, I think you're better off slightly underexposing the White model than overexposing the Black model.

Sep 02 05 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Paul Ferrara wrote:
I assume you were using a reflective meter?  With an incident meter it wouldn't matter.  Light's light.  That's why wedding photographers can get both the bride and groom correctly exposed in the same shot.

Paul

light is light, but different materials absorb/reflect it differently.

my skill level has not yet graduated to understanding meters... my background is more video, not photography.. A long time ago, i watched a series of video lighting tapes "the power of lighting" where they explicitly discuss the problem since they say how dark skin causes problems..

and shure enough, my first mixed ethnic shoot, it was abysmal.. there's a reason my avatar is heavily processed (and not the actual pic)..The second shoot i got better, but still did not have enough horse power,

i'm trying to dig up the net thread that eloquently sums up what i saw on that instructional tape.

--utako

Sep 02 05 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

utako omori wrote:

light is light, but different materials absorb/reflect it differently.

my skill level has not yet graduated to understanding meters... my background is more video, not photography.. A long time ago, i watched a series of video lighting tapes "the power of lighting" where they explicitly discuss the problem since they say how dark skin causes problems..

and shure enough, my first mixed ethnic shoot, it was abysmal.. there's a reason my avatar is heavily processed (and not the actual pic)..The second shoot i got better, but still did not have enough horse power,

i'm trying to dig up the net thread that eloquently sums up what i saw on that instructional tape.

--utako

Reflection and absorbtion are immaterial when taking incident readings.

Sep 02 05 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Dark skin shows highlights much quicker, because of the contrast between the dark skin and the white highlights.

I always take some test shots before I really start shooting to make sure that I don't have shiny skin showing as white.

Most of the time, after these test shots, the MUA or model has to apply more makeup.

Sep 02 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

Saugus, Massachusetts, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Paul

It's not the light, but the tonal range of the film or sensor.  If you expose correctly for dark skin, you run the risk of overexposing light skin.  Expose for light skin and underexpose dark skin.  The effect is most pronounced in transparency film and digital sensors, since they both have a short tonal range.  Color negative film would probably handle the situation the best.

Sep 02 05 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

It has been my experience that the two most common causes of less than optimal shots of Black people are overexposure as the result of failure to properly place the skin in the right zone and/or less than optimal light placement.

Facial construction of Black people is often quite different than White people.  White people often have sharper features where Black people often have rounder, more subtle transitions from feature to feature.  The relationships among the zygomatic process, the calvaria and maxilla may be quite different in Black people than White people.

Thus, some photographers may find it more difficult to light a Black face to achieve the modeling they need.

Success boils down to practice...practice...practice...

Sep 02 05 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

steve_bevacqua wrote:

It's not the light, but the tonal range of the film or sensor.  If you expose correctly for dark skin, you run the risk of overexposing light skin.  Expose for light skin and underexpose dark skin.  The effect is most pronounced in transparency film and digital sensors, since they both have a short tonal range.  Color negative film would probably handle the situation the best.

Actually, you have it backwards.  A reflective reading from Black skin will cause it to be somewhat overexposed.  A reflective reading from White skin will cause it to be underexposed.

Sep 02 05 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

Belair wrote:
Actually, you have it backwards.  A reflective reading from Black skin will cause it to be somewhat overexposed.  A reflective reading from White skin will cause it to be underexposed.

While I agree completely with what you just said.......

I was talking about the side-by-side problem (exposing each properly while they're in the same shot), not each individually.  That's the only reason I brought tonal range into it - because film and digital sensors are limited in their ability to reproduce what the eye sees.

happy shooting  smile

Sep 02 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

steve_bevacqua wrote:

Belair wrote:

I was talking about the side-by-side problem (exposing each properly while they're in the same shot), not each individually.  That's the only reason I brought tonal range into it - because film and digital sensors are limited in their ability to reproduce what the eye sees.

happy shooting  smile

steve_bevacqua wrote:

happy shooting  smile

I was talking about them both being in the same shot.  If you expose both of them properly, they will both come out exposed properly.  There are 3 ways to ensure that they are exposed properly...

1)  Take individual meter readings and place each subject in the proper Zone.  For example, if you spot the White model and she throws an f/8, you know that you'll have to open up one stop to place her in Zone VI.  At the same time, if you spot the Black model, she'll probably throw someplace between f/4 and f/5.6 - so, the f/5.6 you corrected the White model to will result in the proper exposure of the Black model as well.

2)  Take a reflective meter reading off of a Gray Card properly placed in the scene.  In this scenario, the reading would be about an f/5.6.

3)  Take an incident reading of the scene.  Again, it would read an f/5.6 in this scenario.

As far as tonal range goes, there is certainly no more than 2 stops difference between the blackest Black person and the whitest White person.  Negative film, transparency film, and digi-sensors are quite capable of handling a 2-stop range.

Sep 02 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

steve_bevacqua wrote:

It's the light.  Use an incident meter and meter the light.  Every shot on my port was metered so the light was at f8.  There are blacks, whites, indians, and I'm not sure what else.

Paul

Sep 03 05 12:45 am Link

Photographer

J. Stakeman

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

There is nothing to understand about incident meters...  They say gray will look like gray at this exposure.  Reflective meters say whatever I'm looking at will be gray at this exposure....

Sep 03 05 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

Well OK then.  smile

You guys obviously have had different experiences than I have.

Thanks very much.

Sep 03 05 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

My advice?...buy a decent light meter and use it on incident light. Zone System is great for film, where you expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights. However the knowledge is always welcome. Digital is  a little different, you overexpose and you are screwed. T

Sep 03 05 07:11 am Link

Photographer

D U A R T E

Los Angeles, California, US

What?  Is this the zone system back in college?  You guys need to chill out. In a real world situation this what you do.  If your shooting daylight or strobe and the model has very dark skin. I recommend using spot grids especially if she is wearing something white or light in tone. 5 to 10 degree about 1/3 to 1/2 stop over your overall exposure and place it directly on her face to "open" it up a bit.  I have a friend who shoots for hip hop clothing line and one time she didn't use the grids and her assistant was griping how much of an idiot she was.  When  I was assisting we had to shoot Tony Gwynn (baseball player) and he's very dark and he was wearing a white uniform.  I think we were about 1/2 over on the grid.  Keep someone on the head in case the subject moves.

Sep 03 05 08:27 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Morphine Dream wrote:

I shoot a lot of black people, since I am doing a lot of work in the urban market, including apparel companies and some recording artists... yeah... and shooting portfolios for black models as well.

I pretty much don't do anything else... I just make sure... as with everyperson that the subject is well lit... shadows giving depth to that field.

Oh... here is a shot I did of a fellow photographer at the Annual NAACP Legal Defense Fund Dinner, really bad lighting, on-camera flash (press setup), I may have taken the flash off, I don't remember. One shot, film and not digital.

I have many many more of course... but if you shoot digital, you always can look at your display and check how the exposure is.

I have others... many shot with off camera or one umbrella to support available lights.

The image was up long enough. Deleted it.

Sep 03 05 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Duarte Photo wrote:
What?  Is this the zone system back in college?  You guys need to chill out. In a real world situation this what you do.  If your shooting daylight or strobe and the model has very dark skin. I recommend using spot grids especially if she is wearing something white or light in tone. 5 to 10 degree about 1/3 to 1/2 stop over your overall exposure and place it directly on her face to "open" it up a bit.  I have a friend who shoots for hip hop clothing line and one time she didn't use the grids and her assistant was griping how much of an idiot she was.  When  I was assisting we had to shoot Tony Gwynn (baseball player) and he's very dark and he was wearing a white uniform.  I think we were about 1/2 over on the grid.  Keep someone on the head in case the subject moves.

No offense Mr Duarte, bring me Lou Armstrong dressed with a white wedding dress and a Yankees baseball cap and I'll give you a first class image with one light, and maybe a couple of white cardborads. In the meantime I'll send all my assistants for beer.Regards. Tito Trelles

Sep 03 05 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Belair

The Zone System works just fine for digital.

Sep 03 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Belair wrote:

Hello, while I agree in part with you, I disagree in the sense that Adams create that system based in a relationship between many factors, the two most importants were light and developing time, developing time was dictated for the film, the amount of light the subject was receiving, and the characteristics of the scene. You can use the ZS with digital to setup your lights and to have an idea of how much contrast the scene has. With film you oveexpose at the time of the shooting and you can do two things...underdevelop and use a higher contrast paper
or give more time on the enlarger, the print will come grainier, but most of the time usable. You overexpose with digital and you will loose the highlights, the colors are twisted and unless the person is a real Photoshop artist, the results will be okay, just okay. And now I am through, I hope this helps. Take care you all. Tito Trelles

Sep 03 05 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Belair

Film processing/development manipulation used in the back end of the Zone System can be, to a considerable degree, replicated through manipulation of the L curve in LAB mode.  Of course, because digital cameras still have a problem holding detail in highlights, metering for the highlights has to be a thoughtful undertaking.

Certainly I am not suggesting that the tonal range of digital images can be stretched to the degree that film images may be using Adams' methodology.  What I am saying is that the Zone System is a perfectly good basis for ensuring proper exposure.

Sep 03 05 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Tito Trelles-MADE IN NY

Miami, Florida, US

Belair wrote:
Film processing/development manipulation used in the back end of the Zone System can be, to a considerable degree, replicated through manipulation of the L curve in LAB mode.  Of course, because digital cameras still have a problem holding detail in highlights, metering for the highlights has to be a thoughtful undertaking.

Certainly I am not suggesting that the tonal range of digital images can be stretched to the degree that film images may be using Adams' methodology.  What I am saying is that the Zone System is a perfectly good basis for ensuring proper exposure.

I agree with you 100%smile. T

Sep 03 05 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Belair

Tito Trelles wrote:

I agree with you 100%smile. T

That makes two of us!  A good start I guess...

Sep 03 05 09:29 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Ack... get a room already! big_smile

Sep 03 05 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

From my own limited experience - I have to reverse some preconceived notions shooting outdoors.  When trying to compose a shot I have to focus on not messing up and having the skin tones and shadows merging.

Instead of the almost automatic contrast of having a model in shadows providing an outline - I try to shoot and pay special attention to dark areas in an image - where a skin color and shadow can fall into each other.

I try to use a lot more fill lighting from refectors to create a better definition on the shadow side of the model.

I'm fairly happy with this avatar image - just wish I had a bit more light on her neck and a little below her ear.

Sep 03 05 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

D U A R T E

Los Angeles, California, US

Tito Trelles wrote:
No offense Mr Duarte, bring me Lou Armstrong dressed with a white wedding dress and a Yankees baseball cap and I'll give you a first class image with one light, and maybe a couple of white cardborads. In the meantime I'll send all my assistants for beer.Regards. Tito Trelles

On chrome? No post.  No black and white.  In a fifteen minute window?

I'll be sitting here with my beer.

BTW I really love your street work.  It's great...

Sep 03 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Belair wrote:

Ok you've got me, what is the zone system.  I have no formal education in photography and learning by assisting and books.

Sep 03 05 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

James Mosley - M Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

If you have any real expert knowledge of what you are doing it doesn't make any difference in what and who you are shooting. I can't believe that people are going around callling themselves professionals and still have these basic issues unaddressed --- Learn to master and control your light.

Sep 03 05 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Morphine Dream wrote:

Ok you've got me, what is the zone system.  I have no formal education in photography and learning by assisting and books.

I suggest strongly that you pick up Ansel Adams' 3-book set: "The Camera", "The Negative", "The Print."  Read them carefully.

Sep 03 05 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I photgraphed my cousin's (who is white) wedding to a man of color. I metered for both and chose to shoot the middle of the road when it came to the meter reading and all came out well.  I have noticed that doing the same thing in digital and shooting RAW gave me much more control in the end.

Sep 03 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

malik m.l. williams

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Belair wrote:

I suggest strongly that you pick up Ansel Adams' 3-book set: "The Camera", "The Negative", "The Print."  Read them carefully.

Here's an online resource i found to get you started. I can't vouch for it's quality, as i'm just learning myself, but it references Ansel Adams's The Negative as the source of much of its information.

[link]http://www.cicada.com/pub/photo/zs/[/link]

Sep 04 05 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

It's been a couple of years since I shot film. But if you're shooting film, I've been told that FujiFilm more accurately reproduces darker skin tones, and Kodak film is better for lighter skin tones. But, I always preferred FujiFilm anyway!

Sep 05 05 10:57 pm Link