Forums > Photography Talk > Canon 20D Under-exposure

Photographer

Kevin Woolgar

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Have 20D and always shoot raw in rgb.  My images are usually a little under-exposed whether i use the in-camera meter or my sekonic.  Has anyone experienced this with their 20d?

Sep 02 05 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Every digital sensor is different, just as every batch of film is different.  If you find that it's underexposing a little, compensate.  If it's a lot, check with Canon to see if it's really a problem.

Sep 02 05 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

I use a sekonic and set the iso to 64 when I'm shooting at 100.  It would be best to do a one-time test of your camera/meter combo.  Take a series of seven shots at 1/3 stop increments.  It'd be best if your subject had on a white top (so you can watch for blow-out).  Pick the image that comes just close to blowing out and compensate accordingly from then on.

Paul

Sep 03 05 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Fineartdigital

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Ditto on what Paul said -- testing is key -- I believe even more so with digital then film. We get trapped into thinking the LCD tells the story smile

Sep 03 05 05:57 am Link

Photographer

ericphotonyc

Brooklyn, New York, US

Check the histogram, adjust your exposure accordingly.

Sep 03 05 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Woolgar

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thank you all for your input.

Sep 03 05 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Lightwork Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I have a 20D also, but mine seems to like to overexpose a little.  I mostly just leave it adjusted down a fraction of a stop.  Some of it depends on the dynamics of what you're shooting.  I find shooting a little under is safer.  It's a lot easier to fix (minor) underexposures than blown-out whites.

Sep 06 05 07:43 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I've found that the two Canon digital cameras that I have (the 20D and the Digital Rebel) underexpose at about 2/3 of a stop. My in studio testing confrimed this also.

I adjust for this a couple of ways. I either set a new default with Camera Raw at plus .67 for the exposure for images not shoot with this adjustment or I will do an in camera EV adjustment of 2/3 stop while shooting. In studio my Sekonic light meter is adjusted with a -.4 as my testing indicated that this was the needed adjustment.

Sep 06 05 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

What mode are you shooting? If you have a fast enough lens and you are checking your exposure correctly, all should be well.......I ask what mode because shooting manual is the only way you have control......

Sep 06 05 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

MotoMediaFx

Safety Harbor, Florida, US

You always need to calibrate your light meter to your camera. This goes for film as well. I have the Sekonic 558 and I know on my 20D its a 1/3 of a stop off, my 1D is dead on, and my film camera (MF Mamiya), all depends on which slide film I'm using. Once you figure it out make a note card and keep it in your bag. With digital its an easy fix for under exposure. Slide film needs to be spot on, very little latitude. Why slide???? Because several magazines still insist on it, which in my opinion sucks.........Digital is still my fav.

Sep 06 05 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This may sound weird, but why do digital shooters even need a light meter?

Sep 06 05 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Because the histogram displays data for the entire scene, not just the subject.  And the LCD isn't accurate enough.  If your camera has a highlight blow-out indicator, you could keep jacking up the exposure until you see some blow-out but that's too much like work.  It's much simpler to meter the light and know your exposure will be on the money.

Paul

Sep 06 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

They don't.

Well, they do, but it's built into the camera.

Paul and I have been through this too many times, so I won't go through it all again...

Sep 07 05 12:22 am Link

Photographer

John Korb

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Personal Observation and Opinion.  Your 20D may be different, and your milage may vary... and I'd like to hear if others have had similar experiences with the 20D's histograms.

First, I don't intend to bash the 20D.  It is a great piece of equipment, and offers features and capabilities I never dreamed of when I picked up my first SLR a few decades ago.  But, as with every piece of equipment, the more it can do, the more it seems it should do.  Thus, the push to expand the technology and improve it goes on and on.  That said...

My 20D likes to overexpose.  If I use the internal meter and meter off a gray card the result is between 1/3 and 2/3 stop overexposed (in reality, probably 1/2 stop).  That might not sound like much, but it can be a real problem in high contrast situations.   

In my case the problem appears to be in the camera's meter, not the sensor, as in the studio I set the 20D to the exposure my Polaris indicates and the resulting exposures are right-on.

As to the blow-out indication on *MY* 20D, if an image is overexposed to where the blow-out indication appears in the LCD, the image is probably so blown out it is worthless.

Which brings me to a particular overexposure problem I have with the 20D which I never had when shooting film (Canon A1).  Shooting in the late afternoon orange glow.

I find that the histogram is only a guide, as it too has its drawbacks.  The histogram displayed on the LCD appears to be the *average* of the red, green, blue values, and that works well when you are shooting properly white balanced average subject material and the subject doesn't have any very bright, very vivid colors. 

However, what if you are trying to take advantage of that wonderful orange-red light before sunset, and shooting a model with the white balance set for daylight to get that orange glow?  You meter with your external meter (incident) and set the 20D accordingly.  The exposure meter in the 20D agrees with the external meter reading.  The histogram you see on the LCD looks great, and the images in the LCD display loop pretty good too!   You are happy!

Unfortunately, when you get back to the computer and view the images, they look sick!   That can't be!  The histogram looked great!  You take the memory card out of the reader, put it back in the camera, and sure enough, the histogram looks great!  What the? 

So, you go back to the computer and THIS time you look at the separate red, green, and blue histograms for the image.  Expletive deleted.  The blue channel looks dark, the green channel looks normal, and the red channel looks very blown out.  Average the three together and you see that great histogram that you saw on the LCD on the back of the 20D.

Maybe if the 20D had the ability to show not only the "average" histogram, but also the histograms of the individual red, green, and blue channels you could put a lot of weight in what the histogram(s) say. 

My solution (for color-biased situations) has been to either deliberately underexpose by an experimentally derived amount, or connect a laptop to the 20D, take a test exposure, and look at the individual histograms to make sure nothing is blowing out. 

Note that I find that if I meter with an external meter under color-biased situations and set the 20D manually according to the external meter's reading, I'll still end up with an over-exposed channel (red in the case of shooting just before sunset).

Another example.  I'm shooting stage productions where they are using the new LED light banks.  They can create any color and any intensity and any color balance they want with the light banks.  Beautiful vivid greens, reds, blues - colors so saturated you can hardly believe it - until you try to photograph them.  And as a limitation, I can't go up on stage to meter, so I use my experience to temper what the in-camera meter and histogram say.  If I can get into the rehearsal, I bring my laptop and shoot test exposures and look at the individual red, green, blue histograms, record what exposure values to use for each section of the program, and during the live production shoot to the values I determined during the rehearsal.

In the old days with my Canon A1 I'd bracket exposures, and eat up a LOT of slide film (and sometimes miss the best shot) in the process.  Today the 20D and laptop combination works much better.  Bits are a LOT cheaper than film!  While I love my old A1 and it has given me a couple of decades of great service, I love and appreciate my 20D as the wonderful machine it is.

Your thoughts?

Sep 07 05 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Michelle Adrienne

Portland, Arkansas, US

I think it varies from camera to camera...I find that mine does underexpose a bit if I use the in-camera meter, but I typically shoot manual, use a handheld meter, and check my histogram often.
As for whether or not you need a light meter - I wouldn't say you "need" one, but I love mine! Especially for studio work.

:-)  Michelle

Sep 07 05 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

forevermoment

Garden Grove, California, US

I think we do need a light metter. I totally agreed with John Korb. The light metter and  the build in metter in the camera  always give me diff result. The LCD and a computer screen got the same problems. I think we have to play around and learn how to look on the LCD. The best is doing in RAW if possible, because Raw can go up/down 2 F stop.
Regards
Nick
p.s I really not happy with my pictures although i have the top digital camera (1DS Mark II ) in the world. That's suck

Sep 09 05 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

John Korb wrote:
However, what if you are trying to take advantage of that wonderful orange-red light before sunset, and shooting a model with the white balance set for daylight to get that orange glow?  You meter with your external meter (incident) and set the 20D accordingly.  The exposure meter in the 20D agrees with the external meter reading.  The histogram you see on the LCD looks great, and the images in the LCD display loop pretty good too!   You are happy!

Unfortunately, when you get back to the computer and view the images, they look sick!   That can't be!  The histogram looked great!  You take the memory card out of the reader, put it back in the camera, and sure enough, the histogram looks great!  What the? 

So, you go back to the computer and THIS time you look at the separate red, green, and blue histograms for the image.  Expletive deleted.  The blue channel looks dark, the green channel looks normal, and the red channel looks very blown out.  Average the three together and you see that great histogram that you saw on the LCD on the back of the 20D.

Maybe if the 20D had the ability to show not only the "average" histogram, but also the histograms of the individual red, green, and blue channels you could put a lot of weight in what the histogram(s) say.

This doesn't make sense because earlier you said that your internal meter overexposed. 

And a histogram only shows the values for the scene, not the subject so I don't know why you're checking it at all.

John Korb wrote:
My solution (for color-biased situations) has been to either deliberately underexpose by an experimentally derived amount,...

That makes some sense if you're positive of the above results.  I don't have a 20D so don't have any history with them.

Paul

Sep 09 05 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

I use a canon 20d and a canon 10d and a Minolta, it's right on everytime I use it. just wish I used it more:)

Sep 10 05 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Michelle Adrienne

Portland, Arkansas, US

I always check my histogram... true - it shows values for the *scene* BUT if you know what your scene should look like (according to the result you want of course) then you can look at the histogram to see if it matches what you expect, if you have any blow-outs or if it's underexposed. I also use my histogram to verify my light meter readings...using a gray card or expodisc. I *always* check my histogram, at the beginning of a shoot and anytime conditions change considerably.

I also shoot RAW, which is great for that added flexibility post-processing. However, I find that my images are *much* nicer if exposure is right SOOC, rather than tweaked post-process.

;-)

Sep 10 05 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

kmwphoto wrote:
Have 20D and always shoot raw in rgb.  My images are usually a little under-exposed whether i use the in-camera meter or my sekonic.  Has anyone experienced this with their 20d?

Well, for one,..it's better to have a slight under exposure than a slight over exposure when shooting digital..

I have a question for you.. How efficiant are you with the auto exposure lock, and which camera metering are you using,...and how are you using the hand held meter?  Some people don't realize they are misusing their meters until shown another way..

I just shot in some grueling conditions today.. mostly A-mode..because of the constantly changing partly cloudy day we had up here today.. the contrast changed all the time, and I was instructed to photograph people all day, in the middle of the day.. and I was just previewing the shots, and they all look nice to me considering what I was up against..

(owner of two 20D bodies)

JP

Sep 10 05 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

John Korb

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

John Korb wrote:

This doesn't make sense because earlier you said that your internal meter overexposed. 

And a histogram only shows the values for the scene, not the subject so I don't know why you're checking it at all.

That makes some sense if you're positive of the above results.  I don't have a 20D so don't have any history with them.

Paul

Hi Paul, I'm probably not explaining this that well, but let me give it another try. 

Two points.

1) the in-camera meter seems to get tricked, and in some ways tricked more often than the comparatively simple meter in my old Canon A1.  Or mabe (probably) it is just that film is more resilient due to its better lattitude.

2) histograms are nice, but should not be relied upon and can give you a false view, particularly in situations with a lot of one primary color.  ...and as you noted, the histogram is of the WHOLE scene, so if you want to concentrate on just one feature of the scene, you have to zoom in on it, take your test shot, and go from there... but even that might mislead you if you live by, or rather die by the composite histogram shown.

What I'm trying to say is that the metering in-camera in MY 20D seems to be tricked under some lighting conditions more than others, and this can compound the over-exposure problem I'm experiencing.  If the internal meter reads the conditions as darker than they are, the resulting image is over-exposed.  Most of the time the internal meter will read the scene as darker than the incident meter, but not always.  In some lighting conditions my external meter and camera's internal meter agree, but I'll still end up with over-exposed images, but this usually only happens in very high contrast situations or situations where there is a preponderance of one primary color.

As for the histogram, here is a more specific example.  Late afternoon sun (very red-orange).  Incident metered.  In-camera metered.  Both readings are from 0 to 2/3 stop apart (the resolution of the incident meter I have is 1/3 stop and the tick marks on the 20D meter are 1/3 stop apart.  The in-camera meter is towards overexposure. 

The camera is set manually to the exposure indicated by the incident meter.  The framing is basically a head shot.  Model is looking into the sun.  I have the sun at my back.  The angular distance between the model looking straight into the sun and looking directly into the camera lens is probaby 20-35 degrees typically. 

As a pretty significant portion of the image is the model's face, the histogram SHOULD reflect the exposure of the skin (and hair).  I would think (maybe I'm wrong) that as such, the histogram should give a fair read of her face and her hair, and as an AVERAGE it probably does, but because to the preponderance of red and the lack of blue, you can't tell from looking at the histogram that the red is blown out (which is another reason why people shouldn't rely on the histogram).

Another whole (upsetting) issue is that going by the external incident meter reading led to the red channel being blown out in this situation.

Have I explained it any better?

Sep 10 05 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

John Korb wrote:
Have I explained it any better?

Maybe. wink  But I've never seen a situation where an incident meter got fooled.

Paul

Sep 10 05 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

ok...sorry I could not read ALL the post due to time, but here are some tips (not sure if it was mentioned...

If you are judging under exposure on your Monitor..make sure your monitor is calibrated correctly.

If you are Judging it on your LCD Vs your Monitor...remember one thing, your LCD its just a preview to see compositions etc. it is not acurate, as a matter of fact, must have their LCD brightness right in the middle..that is just the brightness of the LCD and it does not affect youe file...said that if you set the LCD all the way to the left it may be a bit closer to the actual recorder file, on my 10D it still lighter on the LCD than the actual file, so I learn to compensate as long as the info does not reflect blown outs.

Check those two things and test them again and let us know if that resolves your problem. As someone else mentioned...the Histogram is an overall guide..not exact..if you have alot of black in the pic it may show the histogram to be a bit underexposed..but when you see the file look at the subject and make your decision,,,that is what it counts and don't be fulled by gadjedts, use your instincts and test it out, even if you have to use another computer to compare results.

Juancho

Sep 10 05 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

Mine Broke in 1999..

Thats when i got my first Dslr...

But then im blind and cant see anyway...

Wish i could see then my work might be better!

(:-------

Hj

Sep 10 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:

Mine Broke in 1999..

Thats when i got my first Dslr...

But then im blind and cant see anyway...

Wish i could see then my work might be better!

(:-------

Hj

Mine broke in 2003, but repaired it this month. Jay is right, using a lightmeter is better than messing around all the time with the exposure, or go on a rescue mission in photoshop later. Something that seems to have become a standard nfor some!!!!

Sep 11 05 12:48 pm Link