Forums > Photography Talk > New Picture...

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

If any of you get a chance to work with this girl, you're gonna have a great time.  She was a real trooper!!  It was windy (not too bad though), the water was cold, she scrappe the bottom of her foot, scrapped her leg when she stumbled onto a rock hidden under water.  Walked at a very long and steep walk back from the beach to the parking lot.  She was awesome.  One of the best girls I've worked with.  She's made my first Model Mayhem session a great one!!

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/48629968.jpg

Sep 03 05 02:40 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

well congrads photo looks great... been a while sense i have been to the beach...

Sep 03 05 05:01 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Thanks!  I got to borrow a friend's lens.  A Nikon 80-200mm D f/2.8

OMG...I love that thing.  I want to get the 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens!  Really gotta start saving up some money!

Sep 03 05 09:35 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

heh im still working with my non-SLR camra learning the basics so i will worry about that later lol

Sep 03 05 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Footnote wrote:
heh im still working with my non-SLR camra learning the basics so i will worry about that later lol

Forget the basics if you can afford it, step up to Nikon D70.  Over 90% of my modeling shots are with the 18-70mm Kit lens.  It is a GREAT LENS!!  If you can get it, do it.  Because of the much much improved Depth of Field you get from an SLR, it'll open up your creativity more.  It did for me anyhow.  Also, manual zoom is a lot faster than pressing buttons.  And they focus super fast.

Then, you have the 8700 right?  I'm comparing to my old 5700.

Sep 03 05 09:51 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
Forget the basics if you can afford it, step up to Nikon D70.  Over 90% of my modeling shots are with the 18-70mm Kit lens.  It is a GREAT LENS!!  If you can get it, do it.  Because of the much much improved Depth of Field you get from an SLR, it'll open up your creativity more.  It did for me anyhow.  Also, manual zoom is a lot faster than pressing buttons.  And they focus super fast.

Then, you have the 8700 right?  I'm comparing to my old 5700.

heh forget the basics huh? i can see people hating you right now lol well i cant afford it so not to worryed about it and you can see from my lack of models im in no rush to buy a more expensive camra.. although i have thought about it for a while.. i need to save anyhow.. but next weekend will be my first shoot

edit : yeah i have the 8700.. main complant is the AF is slow

Sep 03 05 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Well, don't totally forget the basics.  My main point was, with my 5700, I also shot on the P or S mode.  S was for when I was shooting sports.  Manual didn't make sense to me and Aperature priority didn't seem to have ANY affect.  But within two weeks of getting my D70 and having my first model shoot, I shot entirely on A and sometimes M.

The control and speed I had with the D70 put me into a smile that I just couldn't control.  It was unbelievable.

What I found frustrating with my 5700 was not only the slow AF, but in low light, it would back focus a LOT.  It would drive me crazy cause while it was hunting for focus, I would SEE the "target" be IN focus for a moment and then it would go away as it the camera kept searching.  Arrrrggg.

Your camera has a AF assist lamp at least smile  I got great stuff with my 5700.  I'm sure the 8700 will do well!

Sep 03 05 10:04 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

yeah for the most part i shoot with one of the pre-programed modes the apature is actualy pretty good but the 8700 has the same problem has the 5700 as far as back focusing

this is about as good as the Apature gets

but eather way im deffently looking forward to working with my friend

Sep 03 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Footnote wrote:
yeah for the most part i shoot with one of the pre-programed modes the apature is actualy pretty good but the 8700 has the same problem has the 5700 as far as back focusing

this is about as good as the Apature gets

but eather way im deffently looking forward to working with my friend

To imbed photos, you want to use...hmm...how do I show...ahh

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/footnote-in-memory/Streetcorner.jpg

Quote this post and look how I did your photo like.  This forum doesn't support HTLM but instead BBC code or it might be called phpBB.

Sep 03 05 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

And that's pretty good shot.  Where you zoomed in or out?  Cause that camera can be 2.8 but only at wide angle. sad

And 2.8 SLR lens are expensive!!!  well, the big ones.  I bought a 50mm f/1.8 that I use at 2.8 and get great work!

Sep 03 05 10:16 am Link

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

oopes just hit the wrong butten thats all well im off will deffently be sending you some photos after the shoot

Sep 03 05 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Looking forward to it!  Good luck!

Sep 03 05 10:17 am Link

Photographer

dB.

New York, New York, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
Thanks!  I got to borrow a friend's lens.  A Nikon 80-200mm D f/2.8

OMG...I love that thing.  I want to get the 70-200 f/2.8 VR lens!  Really gotta start saving up some money!

I broke my pig bank for the 70-200 f/2.8 VR and I will second that it's a fantastic lens. But I also have the cheap 70-300 f/4.5 that I carry around which does its job fairly well for its really decent price and a third of weight.

Sep 03 05 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

dB. wrote:

I broke my pig bank for the 70-200 f/2.8 VR and I will second that it's a fantastic lens. But I also have the cheap 70-300 f/4.5 that I carry around which does its job fairly well for its really decent price and a third of weight.

I do have the 70-300mm D lens and it is great!!   Because of my 5700 zoom range, I had a buy A zoom so that is what I settled on.

I think I've only used it once for modeling:

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/38086805.jpg

it's a little slow on focusing in low light...but...it's great for action/sports

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/46092232.jpg
https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/44380687.jpg

Sep 03 05 02:05 pm Link