Forums > Photography Talk > To tilt or not to tilt?

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

It is quite common for images with models to be intentionally tilted for artistic effect. I have not shot too many tilts intentionally, but have sometimes liked accidental results (and sometimes corrected via PS rotate canvas).

What are the guidelines, if any, as to when tiliting "works"?

Here is an accidental tilt that both the model (MM 11734) and I ended up liking:

https://www.richardsfault.com/rp_photo/Zoraj1/22.jpg

Sep 03 05 08:21 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I did it sometimes too... experimented around... not sure... I didn't like how mine came out.

Sep 03 05 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

i shoot at angles because i can't see straight.. jk. seriously, unless its on purpose the slight tilt thing bugs the hell out of me.

Sep 03 05 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Its become my niche... my tilts and angles have garnerd far more work for me than my straight up shots...

Several local photographers have since contacted me for pointers...

If you intentionally tilt, try shooting from a different perspective as well. Shoot from a spot you wouldnt normally shoot from and tilt... see what happens

Have fun

Sep 03 05 08:31 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

it all depends on the pose.

Sep 03 05 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

It's heavily image content dependent.

The closest to a guideline I've seen is to make it straight OR clearly intentionally tilted; when it's off by just a couple of degrees, it usually doesn't look tilted, it looks crooked.

Sep 03 05 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Visual Mindscapes wrote:
it all depends on the pose.

What would be the pose and cons of tilting....

*ducks*

I'd like to know why to tilt but was afraid to ask...I've seen a few tilted images and they seem to have no effect on me or my reason to like or dislike an image.

Sep 03 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

Craig Thomson wrote:
I'd like to know why to tilt but was afraid to ask...I've seen a few tilted images and they seem to have no effect on me or my reason to like or dislike an image.

For example, if a girl is on her knees leaning forward, if you add a little tilt to it, it gives the image action.  Action should always start and end at the corners of an image, but there are exceptions.

Check out my avatar for instance...

Sep 03 05 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

This images raises another issue about "cutting off" the tops of heads. I have heard this can be a good thing, but I don't completely understand why.

Sep 03 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:
This images raises another issue about "cutting off" the tops of heads. I have heard this can be a good thing, but I don't completely understand why.

Cutting off the tops of heads (as well as tilting the camera) are done for compositional and psychological purposes.  Pay close attention to the way these techniques make you respond to photos emotionally, not just rationally.

Sep 03 05 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

rp_photo wrote:

I agree, but that may be just a cropping issue in those examples.

I still don't see the benefit to tilt the image, it does nothing to improve the look other then alter the aspect of the model.

Sep 03 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Cutting off the tops of heads (as well as tilting the camera) are done for compositional and psychological purposes.  Pay close attention to the way these techniques make you respond to photos emotionally, not just rationally.

I'm numb when looking at these images, no emotion. My main focus in on the white portion of the shirt and wondering why it would be white and not black as the rest of the shirt, from there, I move to the large portion of exposed skin...bla, then to the contrast of the skin to the blue in the jeans...

The tilting of the last image seems to make it harder for me to view it...sorry, but thats me

Sep 03 05 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

Saugus, Massachusetts, US

Hey,

I'd like to post a tilted image here and explain why it works better than the same shot straight up, but I'd need to know the BBCode thing.  Can any of you shoot me a message explaining how that's done?

Thanks.

https://www.stevesphoto.com/fashion/jpg/6.jpg

Nevermind - figured it out, smile

Sep 03 05 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Woolgar

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

I personally have never been a fan of the tilt or "batman angle".  To me it looks unnatural.  Now if Annie Leibovitz or Partrick Demarchelier start doing then I may change my mind...well not likely... but it is subjective so whatever "rocks" your boat... really sorry about that....just had to smile

Sep 03 05 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

Or, failing that, you can click on this link:

http://www.stevesphoto.com/fashion/jpg/6.jpg

I think the tilt here's necessary- it fills more of the frame with the subject, gives a feeling of action, and shows off the shoes a bit more.  Of course, this is all subjective and ymmv.

Sep 03 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

steve_bevacqua wrote:

I think the tilt here's necessary- it fills more of the frame with the subject, gives a feeling of action, and shows off the shoes a bit more.  Of course, this is all subjective and ymmv.

Exactly what I said, but some people will never comprehend such things.  If they want to shoot straight on, then let them shoot that way.

Sep 03 05 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Luther

Arlington, Virginia, US

never tilt!!!

If you are on tilt, you will lose money (in a poker game for sure)

Sep 03 05 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I

L
    i
      k
        e

I
             t

Sep 03 05 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i have a hard time shooting straight up....it looks like a portrait photog's work..and im not a portrait photog...

Sep 03 05 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

if we all thought the same we would all take the same pictures... and y'all would want my car.

Sep 03 05 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Adrenalin Concepts

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=42ab717b736e3

tilting makes this shot,,, least compared to the straight up ones from the same series

Sep 03 05 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cameron Watson wrote:
http://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=42ab717b736e3

tilting makes this shot,,, least compared to the straight up ones from the same series

Youre right...great image.

Sep 03 05 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Look at the last few avatars...the tilters have won!! we rule this thread!! HAHA

Sep 03 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I just titled smile haha...for a while, I was tilting too much...so I've backed off a bunch.  But I still use it as a technique during my shoots.  Sometimes it makes the photo...I dunno...more dramatic?

Chris

Sep 03 05 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Guchot

Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

When you start making fixed rules for your Photos, you're on the best way to make boring pictures. Tilting, cut off heads, extreme cuttings can all be interesting and can also be disasterous. It depends on the picture. Trust your feeling. If you like the picture as it is, tilted or not, leave it that way and forget all the rules.
Regards from Cologne
Guchot

Please forgive my english, it's not my native language.

Sep 03 05 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Guchot wrote:
When you start making fixed rules for your Photos, you're on the best way to make boring pictures. Tilting, cut off heads, extreme cuttings can all be interesting and can also be disasterous. It depends on the picture. Trust your feeling. If you like the picture as it is, tilted or not, leave it that way and forget all the rules.
Regards from Cologne
Guchot

You said it better than many native english peeps, haha...and I agree with you 100%

Sep 03 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

envisage photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Guchot wrote:
Regards from Cologne
Guchot

Better english than some Ive seen here.

Sep 03 05 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Behind the Lens Photogr

Greenfield, Massachusetts, US

steve_bevacqua wrote:

I think that the tilt adds too much motion/"action" in this one, yes it fits the model better, but the first time I saw it I thought that she was rolling down a slope, wink .  And the second thought I had of it was that she was just tilting the chair.  I think that with this picture you need more reference with backgrounds to show that it's all tilted, not just the chair.

I like tilts but maybe not with a chair with wheels, especially when the hair already has a slight "wind" blow in it.

Sep 03 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

kmwphoto wrote:
I personally have never been a fan of the tilt or "batman angle".  To me it looks unnatural.

Most of the time, especially in film, that's the point.

Sep 03 05 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

I'm numb when looking at these images, no emotion. My main focus in on the white portion of the shirt and wondering why it would be white and not black as the rest of the shirt, from there, I move to the large portion of exposed skin...bla, then to the contrast of the skin to the blue in the jeans...

The tilting of the last image seems to make it harder for me to view it...sorry, but thats me

If you're numb when looking at images, I'm not sure photography is for you.

Sep 03 05 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

xKrysPridex wrote:
I think that the tilt adds too much motion/"action" in this one, yes it fits the model better, but the first time I saw it I thought that she was rolling down a slope, wink .  And the second thought I had of it was that she was just tilting the chair.  I think that with this picture you need more reference with backgrounds to show that it's all tilted, not just the chair.

I like tilts but maybe not with a chair with wheels, especially when the hair already has a slight "wind" blow in it.

I can see that.  As I said, your mileage may vary.  smile

Thanks for taking a look and taking the time to comment.

Sep 03 05 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Woolgar

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Brian Diaz wrote:

Most of the time, especially in film, that's the point.

Sorry I am confused...are u referring to film as in motion pictures or still photography?

Sep 03 05 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

guzx

Los Angeles, California, US

well personaly I sometimes tilt the camera so i could make the image a little bit more interesting because sometimes shooting the images straight is plain and boring in some cases. "thats all i have to say about that" jejeje im watching forest gumb smile

Sep 03 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

kmwphoto wrote:

Sorry I am confused...are u referring to film as in motion pictures or still photography?

I'm sorry, I meant motion pictures.

Sep 04 05 03:11 am Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I "tilt" alot in my work...........my inspiration for this comes from Carol Reeds  "THE THIRD MAN" from 1949......I`ve always found it makes for action in some photos and also makes the photographer "think more"
I can make my 5' 2" gals look like 5' 8"........tilting is a major part of my style now, and I seem to "tilt" more to the RIGHT as I do LEFT, hummm don`t know why, maybe because I`m right handed?

PS I didn`t think though that "tilting" was a common practice
among photographers

Sep 04 05 10:46 pm Link