Forums > Photography Talk > Clothes/Lingerie; To give, or not to give

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

My wife and I always have this debate.

The one thing I've noticed is that for a lot of talent that shows up, they have a very poor selection of clothes to go with the shoot. Many ask if I provide wardwrobe.

When out and about, I see clothes and lingerie that I want to buy as I have a lot of ideas for different shoots. That being said, the clothes and lingerie and even swim wear I want is very expensive. I'm of the opinion that if I buy it, it stays with me. Nothing a washing macheine can't get rid of. My wife says' it's ok for clothes, but not ok for swim and lingerie.

I argue that that's silly as the same body parts goes into a pair of jeans and tshirt that goes into swim and lingerie. But she says it's more of a state of mind then anything. That wearing something that's been on another girls crotch is nasty. I would never wear another guys clothes (spent too many years wearing hand-me-downs from my brothers. But don't most girls swap clothes anyways?

Right now, I'm shooting mostly tfcd's so there's no way for me to incorprate the cost of the lingerie into the shoot itself. I'm not too willing to give clothes to someone on a tfcd shoot, unless they completely blow my socks off and we've shot for a while.

Anyone else in this situation? is it nasty to even consider asking a talent to wear swimwear that someone else wore? eventhough it's been macheine washed?

Thanks,
jay

Sep 03 05 11:56 am Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

I spend a small fortune on wardrobe, and I generally try not to reshoot in the same wardrobe item.  Given the cost of some items, I give at least one item to the model and write it off  about half the time... 

I always keep the 2-3 pair of the Lucky Brand jeans I have for additional shoots though...

LOL

Sep 03 05 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

let them keep the panties and swimsuits.

Sep 03 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I keep a small wardrobe on hand for most models and I'll offer what I have during the initial conversation if (IF) the model is lacking certain items and they'd be required for the shoot.
I'll ask them to prepare before the shoot and have all clothing clean and free of stains or holes.

I shop ebay for "lots" or some items and keep them on hand if I know I'm after a certain look...

There are a few starving models (new) that I'd offer to take shopping for photo clothes and let them keep said clothes after the shoot.

Sep 03 05 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Basically, I always give away panties, no one wants to wear someone elses underwear.  The other stuff I usually keep though it can also be negotiated as part of the deal if the model doesn't want to do straight TFP.

The swimwear is kinda iffy, it can be kind of expensive to give away every time and often isn't so distinctive that it can only be shot once.  Some don't mind, some do.  I always have something new anyway if they don't want to wear something "used".

Tops, skirts, etc. aren't a problem but unless they're very basic, I don't want to shoot them too much anyway.

There's only so many times you can shoot an item.  I figure it as part of the expense of shooting and just buy what fits my budget assuming it will be good for one or two shoots.

p.s. I don't think any of the bikinis I have are machine washable wink

Sep 03 05 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Gary Davis wrote:
p.s. I don't think any of the bikinis I have are machine washable wink

Yes, yes,

Edible swimwear tends to not last through macheine wash lol jk

Thanks guys, keep them coming.

From what I'm gathering, panties are an absolute must give if worn.

I completely didn't think of it as a write off! With clothes tho, imho, jeans and cool tops can always be reused. There's a net top that I've seen that I'd like to shoot on a few different models I shoot with, and keep the one that I like the best for my port.

Sep 03 05 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

mag-jr wrote:
My wife and I always have this debate.

The one thing I've noticed is that for a lot of talent that shows up, they have a very poor selection of clothes to go with the shoot. Many ask if I provide wardwrobe.

When out and about, I see clothes and lingerie that I want to buy as I have a lot of ideas for different shoots. That being said, the clothes and lingerie and even swim wear I want is very expensive. I'm of the opinion that if I buy it, it stays with me. Nothing a washing macheine can't get rid of. My wife says' it's ok for clothes, but not ok for swim and lingerie.

I argue that that's silly as the same body parts goes into a pair of jeans and tshirt that goes into swim and lingerie. But she says it's more of a state of mind then anything. That wearing something that's been on another girls crotch is nasty. I would never wear another guys clothes (spent too many years wearing hand-me-downs from my brothers. But don't most girls swap clothes anyways?

Right now, I'm shooting mostly tfcd's so there's no way for me to incorprate the cost of the lingerie into the shoot itself. I'm not too willing to give clothes to someone on a tfcd shoot, unless they completely blow my socks off and we've shot for a while.

Anyone else in this situation? is it nasty to even consider asking a talent to wear swimwear that someone else wore? eventhough it's been macheine washed?

Thanks,
jay

I buy most of my clothing at thrift stores, and somtimes consignment shops. I keep the clothing, and often give it, with a purchased print, to my print collectors.

Sometimes I will auction off the clothing on Ebay, showing it being worn by one of the models.

The dresses have brought from $30.00 to as much as $132.00.  I use the sales to buy more clothing, and so far I have more than broke even.

Sep 04 05 10:09 am Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Some girls have a problem with it and they will tell you.  I keep an extensive swimwear collection and, no, I never let the model keep them.  I wash them all with detergent and put them all in the dryer.  Between the soap and the heat they are effectively sanitized.  Most of them are on the models body such a short time that even after several shoots they are very close to new.  I often was much of my collection to get rid of dust, wrinkles and cat hair between shoots, and many have been washed many more times than they have been worn.  If a designer had a bunch of swimsuits for a fashion show, and a bunch of models, it is unlikely he or she would have sevral sizes in each one, especially since some are one-offs.  They would be at least tried on by more than one model.

In any case- make sure they're clean and sanitary- yes, use them once and give them away- no (unless you have money to burn).

Sep 04 05 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Thanks guys,

This is helping me a lot

Sep 04 05 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

John Korb

Fairfax, Virginia, US

In addition to shopping thrift stores and consignment shops, look for the clearance sales and shop the bargin bins. 

For lingerie, watch the bargin bins.  Our local Victoria's Secret has bargin bins where thongs and panties are often $2.99, and in some cases they have even better deals.  Bras are usually $3.99 to $4.99 in the bargin bins.

For casual clothes, shop the sales at everything from Target and Walmart to Kohls to Macys and Nordstorm.  The local Kohls recently had a 70% off sale on summer items, including sweaters, skirts, tops, and jeans. 

I highly recommend teenage daughters when it comes time to shop for wardrobe items.  In an afternoon at Potomac Mills (a very large mall complex south of Washington, DC), my 18 year old daughter took me to about 15 to 18 stores where we bought 3 casual tops, a crop-top tee, a skirt, a fish net top, a bustier, a bra/panty set, a sheer top, and two hula-hoops for a total of less than $60.

Sep 07 05 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

I ALWAYS GIVE THE PANTIES away.  Always.  I knew a guy who kept them and one time a model was going through the drawers and she picked up a pair of panties that had some kind of CRUST in the crotch area.  Talk about NASTY. 
so just give the panties away.

Now some of the bigger outfits.  I keep them.  I spent $300 on a dress we shot in Scotland and England.  No way would I give that up.  I have some cute outfits for my  Big Bend shoot and I will be keeping them also. 

Panties are cheap.  Whats a few bucks for a pair of panties.

Do not do much swim suit so I cannot reply back to that one.  bs

Sep 07 05 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

bobby sargent wrote:
I ALWAYS GIVE THE PANTIES away.  Always.  I knew a guy who kept them and one time a model was going through the drawers and she picked up a pair of panties that had some kind of CRUST in the crotch area.  Talk about NASTY. 
so just give the panties away.

Dude,

that just made me dry heave.

oh man that's just nasty.

I'm so sick, I almost can't finish this piece of chocolate cake sitting here.

ALMOST

Sep 08 05 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

when it comes to skivvies and stockings, unless the model brings her own, i'll use NEW ones from my wardrobe...i'll keep them in case of a re-shoot and if and when they aren't needed again, she can have at 'em...

my retro/vintage clothing collection is a different story...i've aquired quite an assortment of really cool and colourful retro/vintage tops, pants, skirts, dresses, shoes, etc., that once i've used, will either trade(this seems to be the popular trend with my models) or sell to models...and on very rare occasions, will give 'em...

on the flipside, i've had models give me retro/vintage lingerie they've either shot in already or no longer want(they're CLEAN, so get your mind out of the gutter)...very unique pieces that models who know they're "used", but clean, don't mind wearing...

thrift stores, department store sales racks and garage sales are great places to save a buck on cool threads...target is always fun too...

Sep 08 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

...and i always keep the "clean" clothes separated from the "dirty"(although i prefer to use the term "used") clothes as a courtesy to my models...organizing clothing in bags during a shoot(especially when shooting on location) and then  storing them in those same bags(in a box), is a good organized way to keep 'em separated...labeling them with the models name and even a date is practical...

Sep 08 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

I don't shoot lingerie, and don't supply underwear, but have a crate full of stockings of various colors and styles to maximize the chances of having a good match for the rest of the outfit(s). Once a package is opened, though, it's either given to the model or discarded.

"Regular" clothing I typically keep, though exceptions are made depending on the situation.

Sep 08 05 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

D U A R T E

Los Angeles, California, US

I buy a bunch of boy shorts black and white s, m, l in the garmet district in downtown L.A. (ie Santee Alley). 

It comes out to about $3.50 a  pair.  Since I'm here to get stock shots they work perfectly .You can get simple black bras for about 5 bucks.  Haggle with the seller and she'll throw an extra pair.  The girls look great in the those shorts and they can go with any top from a bra to a loose sweater.  Then I just give them to them after the shoot

Sep 11 05 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

Not to reem on models but ok panties and small thing I understand but If I like playing golf and play 2 times a week I buy frikeenn  golf clubs groves balls tees
a bag ETC........... 

Best model I ever shot   Liz Ashely  she is organized with everything  from outfits to jewerly to makeup everything  funny it all seems to come off in her photos thou...   Great model !!

Sep 11 05 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Merlyn Magic Photo

Long Beach, California, US

OK time for Mr. Cheap to chime in. Walmart [clearance only], Big Lots!, 99 cent store, Goodwill, Sal. Army, Dollarama are all good for props, clothing, and my favorite for lingerie, Falles Parades, [a local chain aimed a the LA Latino population]. Many of the 98+ cent stores owned by differing ethnic groups in various areas of LA carry stockings, lingerie, and some clothing.

Cost is minimal so I give it away if its intimates. Most stuff that I've shot on one model goes to the model--I sometimes buy with a particular model in mind. If it can be cleaned and I think I can use it again, I might keep it if the model doesn't want it.

More expensive props are on a case by case basis.

BTW, I have almost as much fun looking for the pieces and props to stimulate my imagination for a shoot as doing the shoot itself, ALMOST!

Sep 12 05 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. WHen I created this thread, I was thinking of going out buying stuff at like Vicky's Secret and that stuff gets pricey. I've been anti second hand all my adult life based on the fact that when growing up, that's all we got for clothing. Now, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. Not to mention it's all a tax write off.

Sep 13 05 04:07 pm Link