Forums > Photography Talk > best studio space....

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I posted a while back......am selling my house, have a pending contract on it....2 houses I am most interested in....please keep in mind these are best I have found that I can afford.

House #1, convenient to downtown Nashville, quiet neighborhood, price is right, clean and dry full basement, maybe 1200 sq. ft, but only problem is 7' cieling and seems to be a good bit of duct work on cieling.....but large area to work in for most situations.....just may hate dodging the ducts.

House #2, convenient to downtown and surrounding areas, quiet area similar living space sq. footage, 12-15k more expensive than #1, slightly nicer interior and yard, no basement, but detached 500 or so sq. ft. garage with higher cieling, no ducts in the way but less work space. shaded back yard, old time tool shed and garden area can be used for photoshoots.

Which house sounds more usable to build my business? Maybe the garage can be added to later? May be hassle, but may also look more professional? Thoughts are appreciated! Thanks :-)

Sep 03 05 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Gary

Redford, Michigan, US

The higher ceiling of the second house sound more workable, plus consider you may need to add heat and air conditioning to the garage depending on how much your willing to work in a hot or cold studio.

Sep 03 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Wes Adam

Somerset, New Jersey, US

Go with #2.  It will cost you a little more now but it will be worth it in the end.
Nothing beats having a high ceiling.  You will definitely appreciate it.

Sep 03 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Photos by Gary wrote:
The higher ceiling of the second house sound more workable, plus consider you may need to add heat and air conditioning to the garage depending on how much your willing to work in a hot or cold studio.

The attached garage on my current house isn't as usable for that reason......it's uninsulated. Plus has water heater and an a/c blower, not a dedicated studio space....This detached is insulated, has an air conditioner and a propane heater in there......if left moderate temp, it wouldn't take long to get comfy. Whereas the basement in house 1 is same temp as house, but more obstacles and lower cieling.

Sep 03 05 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Gary

Redford, Michigan, US

sounds like, photographically speaking, that house #2 is the one. one more thing to consider about the garage studio, put down carpet or a wood floor in your shooting area. concrete floors don't heat up very quickly and I think your models will appreciate that very much.

Sep 04 05 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Photos by Gary wrote:
sounds like, photographically speaking, that house #2 is the one. one more thing to consider about the garage studio, put down carpet or a wood floor in your shooting area. concrete floors don't heat up very quickly and I think your models will appreciate that very much.

Would indoor / outdoor carpet work?

Sep 04 05 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

Wish I had those probs, Go fot the highest ceilings as they'll peovide better working space for lighting. May be mire expemsive to heta but give a little gain alittle. Good luck and I hpopt you're happy whatever you chose

Sep 04 05 04:21 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

Commercial carpet (like you find in restaurants) works.  It's very dense and lasts forever.  But I put a chair mat over the section where  the model will stand.

Paul

Sep 04 05 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

I would think twice about carpeting in a studio or at least over the space that you plan on shooting the most.  A simulated wood floor w/ padding/insulation would be more 'shoot-able' although at a higher cost.  Seamless paper does not work on carpeting.  If you have to haul out a liner every time you work on seamless or even cloth backgrounds you might as well set it right from the start. 

You might consider instead a rug that could be moved or only carpeting the off-set areas.

Sep 04 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Biger is always better and a garage gets bigger just by opening the door, also can usually be built onto easily.
Bob

Sep 04 05 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Just stay where your at haha

Using the equpt that you use, will the height really be an issue? As you know, I'm forever changing my lighting style, but i've not run into a problem where having an 8ft celing is a problem, and for the most part, you and I have the exact same equpt.

Sep 05 05 02:01 pm Link