Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Don't forget to give to the animals!

Wardrobe Stylist

KiwiBikinis

Phoenix, Arizona, US

There is so much focus on humans (and yes there should be) but let us not forget about the animals whom have no voice to scream "HELP US!"
Noah's Wish seems to be the organization that is on the forefront of helping the animals in that area. They even take Paypal.

http://www.noahswish.org/

Sep 04 05 12:01 am Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Foster and adoption will probably be very helpful too

http://www.petfinder.com/

Visit the above website for foster, adoption, volunteer, and donation information

Sep 04 05 12:03 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

KiwiBikinis

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Oh yes. I forgot to mention that one too. On CraigsList.org, the affected areas are lit up in red. There are sections to the left that are asking for help of all types. Including fostering and adoption of animals. Thanks Sara!

Sep 04 05 12:08 am Link

Model

Jessica Loren

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I did see tonight on the news that as many as 150 dogs had been rescued as of last night. I wish I had been paying complete attention so I would know who to give the credit to.
The organization who rescued the dogs said they had received over 1,000 e-mails from people who had to leave their pets behind because rescuers would not allow them to bring them. The people gave the locations/addresses and this organization who I could kick myself for not remembering, said they were trying to follow up on all of those e-mails.

Peggy

Sep 04 05 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Animal lover unite its not thier fault thier dumb human owners brought them to that place..

Hugh

Sep 04 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Anybody ever read Setting Free the Bears, John Irving's first (and in my opinon, worst) novel?

Sep 04 05 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
Animal lover unite its not thier fault thier dumb human owners brought them to that place..

Hugh

Hugh, Jack D Trute would be sooooo happy to you wrote that...   Dumb human owners... lol  So true....   Really makes you wonder why we're called the advanced species....

Sep 04 05 08:29 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Thanks. There are several organizations working to rescue animals trapped int he area.

It's disturbing how many pet owners evacuated and left their pets trapped.

Sep 04 05 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

Idolatrieartist

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I donated to the animals the other day...
After all- People Help people all the time- animals don't have wallets with money, and we do...
Maybe this image will change your mind...

http://x91.xanga.com/754852737343112646454/b9153603.jpg

Please help...
XoxoxoxoX
Jane

Sep 04 05 12:34 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

KiwiBikinis

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I sincerely hope someone rescued that poor dog.
Our animals are a part of our family. No way would we ever leave them behind!

Sep 04 05 12:48 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bless you for starting this thread. We do need to remember that Katrina has displaced so many non-human animals as well, who, as Kiwi pointed out, have no voice.

PETA has made a valliant effort in helping these poor souls

http://www.helpinganimals.com/f-disaster.asp

We've come a long way in how we regard our companion animals, it wasn't so long ago when dumb humans would have a dog or cat put down because they were moving and no one would bat an eyelash. But we still have a long way to go, this crisis has shown us.

Sep 04 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

The one thing that strikes me odd is the news is showing people that have not "eaten for four days" and yet there are animals waiting to become lunch.

People first, then the animals.

Sep 04 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Idolatrieartist

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I say eat the people!
;o)

Sep 04 05 01:38 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mike Cummings wrote:
The one thing that strikes me odd is the news is showing people that have not "eaten for four days" and yet there are animals waiting to become lunch.

People first, then the animals.

You are entitled to your opinion, certainly.

But posting something like that in a thread started and nurtured by people who respect non-human life is ignorant and just plain spiteful.

Even if I were on death's door, I would not eat my cats.

Sep 04 05 01:42 pm Link

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

Last year during the 2 hurricanes that hit my area all the hotels were packed and the ones that had rooms open didnt allow pets. I was not going to leave my 3 cats, but I went to Tampa.
Good job on starting this thread!

Sep 04 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Idolatrieartist wrote:
I say eat the people!
;o)

mmmm people..

Sep 04 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Alyssa Lovelle wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion, certainly.

But posting something like that in a thread started and nurtured by people who respect non-human life is ignorant and just plain spiteful.

I guess you missed my post where I was trying to find homes for three dogs abandoned when their house caught fire.

As for not eating your cats, you would be a fool.

Animals are below people. Save the people first then handle the animal problem.

Bon Apetít

Sep 04 05 01:48 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Alyssa Lovelle wrote:

They'd eat you.

Sometimes are pets are a lot brighter than we are.

Sep 04 05 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Where ara all the wolves when ya need them...
We can see that the Buzzards have not been left out!!

Sep 04 05 01:54 pm Link

Model

Gone Baby Gone

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mike Cummings wrote:
[ As for not eating your cats, you would be a fool.

Animals are below people....
Bon Apetít

According to whom?

The general public once believed a lot of things that we later realized were complete bollocks ie- whites are superior blacks, women are below men.

And no, I didn't see that post about you trying to find homes for three dogs. I can't read every post.

Sep 04 05 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Alyssa Lovelle wrote:
According to whom?

The general public once believed a lot of things that we later realized were complete bollocks ie- whites are superior blacks, women are below men.

And no, I didn't see that post about you trying to find homes for three dogs. I can't read every post.

According to anyone that reasons. Man is has dominion over the animals. We keep them as pets, they don't keep us. (I have had a few dogs that would disagree with that statement)

Sep 04 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Masha

San Jose, California, US

Alyssa Lovelle wrote:

have you ever been on "death's door?" no one can say what they would do if they're about to die. people could basically become just like animals just trying to survive without reason, which would explain why many pet owners left their pets. it's fear and adrenaline, you're not thinking about little fluffy when you're gasping for what you think will be your last gasps of air.

Sep 04 05 05:11 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

KiwiBikinis

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I don't own pets. My animals have staff smile
I'm not sure how this thread turned so oogly. It saddens me.
I am new here, is this a frequent occurence?

Sep 04 05 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

KiwiBikinisCom wrote:
I don't own pets. My animals have staff smile
I'm not sure how this thread turned so oogly. It saddens me.
I am new here, is this a frequent occurence?

"I don't own pets. My animals have staff smile"
LOL I have had animals that thought that way too.

Yes it happens all the time here. Don't be sad.

Sep 04 05 08:12 pm Link

Model

squelette212

Chicago, Illinois, US

I was upset to learn that they took away a little boy's dog and it made him cry so hard he threw up.  He asked where the dog was going and they told him they didn't know.  Ouch.  I have a dog and I'm tearing up just thinking about that situation.  One way to help is if you go to PetCo you can round your purchase up to the nearest dollar and that change goes to help the animals affected by the hurricane.  It works for debit/credit purchases, too.  It's something little but if you were going there and buying your pet supplies just the same it helps out.  Thought I'd throw my $.02 in the mix.

Sep 05 05 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

squelette212 wrote:
I was upset to learn that they took away a little boy's dog and it made him cry so hard he threw up.  He asked where the dog was going and they told him they didn't know.  Ouch.  I have a dog and I'm tearing up just thinking about that situation.  One way to help is if you go to PetCo you can round your purchase up to the nearest dollar and that change goes to help the animals affected by the hurricane.  It works for debit/credit purchases, too.  It's something little but if you were going there and buying your pet supplies just the same it helps out.  Thought I'd throw my $.02 in the mix.

That sucks and the poor kid will not understand why he had to give up the dog. Hopefully one of the rescue workers will keep tabs on the dog for the kid.

Sep 05 05 02:32 am Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

I was horrified to learn that those that were evacuated WEREN'T ALLOWED TO TAKE THEIR PETS WITH THEM.  my heart churns with the thought of what happened to all those poor animals that were abandoned to starve or die!!! : (

Sep 05 05 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Sascha wrote:
I was horrified to learn that those that were evacuated WEREN'T ALLOWED TO TAKE THEIR PETS WITH THEM.  my heart churns with the thought of what happened to all those poor animals that were abandoned to starve or die!!! : (

Yep it sucks, but the resources MUST go to humans first. Even the people that could have left but didn't. Animals are very resourceful, reading some of the accounts the animals are more resourceful than the humans.

Sep 05 05 03:12 am Link

Model

CTD- NYC Model

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

I was watching Oprah lol  people were taken to dry grounds and they were waiting for buses. No animals were allowed on the buses. sad There was a guy who was 24 and had the dog 10 years and he didnt want to get on the buds because of his dog. But Oprah's team took the dog and two others to a home to keep safe until the owners can get them YAY I actually started to cry a little because I could never leave my cats they are my children lol

Sep 06 05 02:32 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

A few people are refusing to leave because the rescue teams won't take their pets. I totally understand. I'd throw a fit if I was expected to leave my cats in a sewer. Granted, they'd have a better chance of survival than I would.

Sep 06 05 03:46 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

theda wrote:
It's disturbing how many pet owners evacuated and left their pets trapped.

Rescuers turned away pet owners who tried to bring their pets

idolartieartist wrote:
say eat the people!

Depending on when the bodies will be picked up, and where they are, they're probably becoming lunch for alligators, rats, birds, insects, etc. Nature's cycle

Sep 06 05 04:59 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sara Green wrote:

Rescuers turned away pet owners who tried to bring their pets

But prior to that, 80% of the city's population evacuated, many leaving their pets behind. In some cases, the pets were trapped in houses that flooded.

Sep 06 05 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

as an update, ive cut and pasted the daily email i get from the ASPCA, i also support PETA (and not because of pam anderson) as a buddhist, i view the animals as other sentient beings.

"EVENING UPDATE, SEPTEMBER 7:

As reported by Sandy Monterose of the ASPCA’s National Outreach department, ASPCA staffers have teamed up with others from organizations such as American Humane Association, Spring Farm CARES (NY) and the Houston SPCA, under the leadership of the Louisiana SPCA, to take to the flooded streets of New Orleans searching for abandoned pets. Working on a grid system, the five teams of three rescuers each waded through waist-high, fetid water, pulling boats loaded with equipment and supplies, successfully avoiding injury on fallen tree limbs and downed power lines. This hot, sticky, frustrating day netted 25 cats, 14 dogs, one pet snake and a gentleman who been overlooked by earlier rescuers. (Land and water rescues totaled 140 animals on Tuesday, and they expect to retrieve 200 on Wednesday as more of the water recedes.) Rescue crews were pleasantly surprised to find the animals in relatively good condition, having been left adequate supplies by their fleeing owners.

At one home, rescuers came upon a pit bull chained to the front porch. As they neared, a frail man in his seventies came out of the house, and said he was fine but gratefully accepted all the dog food the team had with them. The authorities were coming for him tomorrow, he said. 

Your Generosity Continues   
Because of your generosity, we are able to send an additional $150,000 to the Louisiana SPCA for their work in Gonzales, LA. They are currently caring for 350 dogs and 150 cats at this staging area north of New Orleans. An additional 600 animals are being housed at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. More than one thousand animals have been relocated to Houston, TX, where the Houston SPCA has opened up a third staging area in a vacant car dealership.

Attention Horse Lovers 
The famous carriage mules of the French Quarter, along with 65 other horses, have been removed to safety. And the New Orleans mounted police unit safely got out all their equine partners. They are currently stabled at the Franklinton, LA, fairgrounds.

With a Little Help from their Friends, Texas Style
Texas Animal Control Association (TACA) mobilized a number of animal control units with experienced field personnel from all over the state to head to New Orleans to round up more abandoned pets and strays, reports Cathy Clark, TACA executive secretary.

James Bias, executive director of the SPCA of Texas in Dallas, reports that after having taken in hundreds of animals to ensure that the Houston SPCA had room for evacuees' pets, his organization did a record 315 adoptions last weekend. (All of these animals were turned in for adoption or were picked up as strays before Hurricane Katrina.)"

thank you one and all who donated or otherwise contributed

Sep 08 05 10:01 am Link