Photographer

Julian Murray

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Is it worth paying for it every month?

Dec 29 06 02:04 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

Some will say yes, some will bash omp. Try a basic paid account for a month or so and see how it works for you. Paying a year at a time saves you a few bucks.

Dec 29 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Unless the answer has changed from the last 724 times this has been asked, the answer is still only you can decide if something is worth the cost. For some it's a valuable resource. For others it's a waste of time and money.

Your mileage, as they say, will vary.

Dec 29 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

- Kevin Mok -

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Depends.  If you get jobs to pay for the omp fee, then sure, why not:  More exposure to you.  If you get didley (that was my case), then quit.

Note that OMP, like MM, is a marketing tool.  It works well for some; does not for others.

Just my $0.02
Kevin

Dec 29 06 02:08 am Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Julian Murray wrote:
Is it worth paying for it every month?

In Minnesota... no.  The only thing OMP was good for when I was in MN was travel notifications.

Dec 29 06 02:08 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

works for me extremely well. Look at my link. I like the way that the portfolios are set up in platinum and platinum plus. The travel announcements allow me to contact photographers interested in shooting.

MM has given me more access to friends, artistic ventures, and a whole lot of time spent wasted posting, but basically, I go with both, and I think they are both excellent at different things.

P.S. it is not allowed to bash other modeling sites here, so if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it, or the thread will get locked. Not by me, I'm going to bed, but one can discuss the good points of various sites without taking out their anger.

Dec 29 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

I will say that I bet your work would capture the attention of a lot of people there and would bet that you get at least one of what they call showcase images within a week out of your current selection.

Dec 29 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

I have been on OMP since 2001
Like any other modeling website the models want you to pay them or want you to shoot them for free. I do use it for more personal projects when I'm traveling. Got some bad models and got some great models from there
It seems that it's more glamour based then anything. If you shoot nudes most likely you will get a showcase image. The Site does run a lot faster then MM. One down fall of OMP is so called Photographers that call themselves model managers. They seem to lock up opportunities  for other photographer to work with models and there are way too many of them. I call them model hogs and many of them really mislead models and ruin good opportunities for models to work with different types of photographers. This is the main reason I am one MM now and I will be downsizing my portfolio on OMP next year. I have only worked with one model on MM were as on OMP I have worked with about 30 but I do have a lot of cross over models who I have worked, who are on OMP and MM. OMP is a all Pay site now where MM is mostly free. I would like to see MM become a all pay site just to help weed out the perverts on here. I like the forums on MM a lot then OMP hands down
With any modeling website Safety and Common Sense  needs to be the rule

Dec 29 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

This site & OMP both have advantages.  I've made more FRIENDS (models and photographers) and done more to advance my art here, OMP has been better for BUSINESS, especially in finding & booking promo models for my wine & spirit biz.

Dec 29 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Studio 76 Photo

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

No I just down graded mine.. Julian you already have all the connection.. it's good for beginners..

OMP is where you get all the no shows!!!

Dec 29 06 02:52 am Link

Photographer

Michael R Kihn Studios

Erie, Pennsylvania, US

Studio 76 Photo wrote:
No I just down graded mine.. Julian you already have all the connection.. it's good for beginners..

OMP is where you get all the no shows!!!

You get them here too

Dec 29 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Studio 76 Photo

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Michael R  Kihn Studios wrote:

You get them here too

I haven't worked with anyone here yet.. I've gotten them through Craigslist though and then I find their profiles here or myspace...

Dec 29 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I use both and find them the same but different, Try it out

Dec 29 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Purple Sea Photography

Waukesha, Wisconsin, US

Differences in each - I've gotten much more response from MM,  but a few good contacts from omp - actually, and omp model is how I found MM (Thanks, Caroline!!)

S

Dec 29 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

San Francisco, California, US

One down fall of OMP is so called Photographers that call themselves model managers. They seem to lock up opportunities  for other photographer to work with models and there are way too many of them. I call them model hogs and many of them really mislead models and ruin good opportunities for models to work with different types of photographers.

For that reason alone I would not join.

I would like to see MM become a all pay site just to help weed out the perverts on here.

You don't think the pervs could afford $100 a year?  How about those poor models who don't even have $100.

Dec 29 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Can we please just put up a FAQ that says:

"No it is not worth it to join the O. site, please don't post about it in the fora; use the search tool to find the complete list of reasons".

edit:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=61633

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=405

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=17056

Magic 8 Ball sees a thread lock in the future...

Dec 29 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Some say Yes, Some say no...

For me, I have had about 12 or 15 paid jobs come from there in the last 2 months so I will keep using them as long as it keeps bring new work into the studio.

Dec 29 06 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

jack4photos

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I've been on OMP since 2001 and MM since it started. I'm a plat+ member there & really like the features.

I mainly shoot TFP/CD trading portfolio shots for art nudes.

I've found more models on OMP than MM in the time I've been on both. I've had no-shows from both sites.

I really enjoy the liveliness of the fora here but the traveling features on OMP are really convenient. The OMP search is better than MM. The site performance is better. The messaging is much better.

OMP is free for models with up to 5 images. It costs for photogs. There was a very lively chat room there but they killed it a couple years ago when they blocked free members. They changed the policy back to all chat free but it is a shadow of its former self. I think the lively conversations are now on MM.

There are always downsides to everything but it works for me.

Its like a tripod, if you don't need it don't use it.

Jack

Dec 29 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

omp is where i started. people who have an omp profile are more serious about work... i mean, they do have to pay for thier profiles don't they?

Dec 29 06 03:45 pm Link