Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What in the HELL are people doing?!?!?!?!

Model

the model jo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Just wanted to ask MMer's what they have seen from some different companies, groups of people, radio stations, restaurants, etc. doing in order to raise money for the hurricane victims.

I went into eat lunch today with my father who lived in NO, and the waitresses were selling beads for a couple dollars here or there that went into a collection to give to the hurricane victims. I thought it was an ingenius idea as did my family from NO.

Just to give you an idea of what I mean other than the typical food drives that usually help out the victims.

Sep 04 05 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

jimblast

Dallas, Georgia, US

*Donated $10,000 to the United Way and the Red Cross funds (you have to mention on your check that it goes to the New Orleans relief funds).

*Currently have 11 refugees living at my home in Dallas, for God knows how long!

*Will go to Louisiana (my home state) to help with the clean up efforts in about a month to six weeks when the water hopefully drains.

*Have my employees and my customers starting a drive, currently we've raised $30,000.

It's not a lot, but any little bit helps.  Great thread by the way, j0!

Sep 04 05 10:09 pm Link

Model

Kharizma

Concord, California, US

but i sure hope they actually give to the cause. I saw kids out doing car washes and things. collecting money, but i just hope they actually send the money on.

Sep 04 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Well,...I've been sitting on my ass, getting into arguments with people I don't know on line over who is to blame, and all this racial stuff....and I have been thinking about all those poor people out there, but I know that there are better people than me out there who are doing a lot for them,...that makes me feel good.

I'll just sit here and argue over the matters involved, rather than getting off my butt and doing something about it....and then I'll wait for the next big news story,...and I'll return to the forums and argue with more people who I don't know and we will all get mad at each other...and I'll eventually lose interest in that whole story as well...

BTW,.....if memory serves me correct,....isn't there some sort of big day coming up in about a week.......I seem to remember argueing with a LOT of people nearly 4 years ago who I didn't know over something big.... gosh,...I forget what that was all about..

Yeah,....I'll see if I can drop like 5 bucks in a can somewhere for them..

JP   (ADD American)

Sep 04 05 10:14 pm Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

You know I was about to ask that....I heard that Places like the Red Cross are only taking money as donations....does anyone have any ideas on how to raise money to donate to the red cross?....I just feel that I really need to get involved...any ideas?

Ciao
Angela
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Sep 04 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Pay taxes...  sorry but that is about all I can do right now.

Sep 05 05 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Kharizma wrote:
but i sure hope they actually give to the cause. I saw kids out doing car washes and things. collecting money, but i just hope they actually send the money on.

That's a big concern.  I think folks should donate directly to the Red Cross or Salvation Army to be sure their money gets there.

On TV this morning, I saw folks packing up food boxes and shipping them.  How the hell are they supposed to cook with no utilities?  One of the items in the boxes was cake mix. 

Paul

Sep 05 05 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
That's a big concern.  I think folks should donate directly to the Red Cross or Salvation Army to be sure their money gets there.

On TV this morning, I saw folks packing up food boxes and shipping them.  How the hell are they supposed to cook with no utilities?  One of the items in the boxes was cake mix. 

Paul

"Let them eat cake"...  You know what, if you are hungry you will eat cake mix raw. As for not being able to cook, there is a lot of wood to make a fire with. Were there no boyscouts in NOLA?

EDIT: And yes you are right, donate CASH to the Red Cross or other trustworthy entities.

Sep 05 05 12:11 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Sep 05 05 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

we threw a club on thursday and 100% of the money made that night went to the victims of katrina.

Sep 05 05 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

jimblast wrote:
*Donated $10,000 to the United Way and the Red Cross funds (you have to mention on your check that it goes to the New Orleans relief funds).

*Currently have 11 refugees living at my home in Dallas, for God knows how long!

*Will go to Louisiana (my home state) to help with the clean up efforts in about a month to six weeks when the water hopefully drains.

*Have my employees and my customers starting a drive, currently we've raised $30,000.

It's not a lot, but any little bit helps.  Great thread by the way, j0!

Your generosity embodies the American spirit.  Some of us cannot give as much, all of us should give what we can.  Extending a helping hand in any way, shape or form is what binds us together in these times of need. 

If we lose the ability to care and give willingly; where then is the strength of our nation found?

Sep 05 05 01:04 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Donating through work which will be sent to red cross
as far as next weekend  donated time during clean up and donated $$ to the hotel workers fund...those folks really got very little

Sep 05 05 01:54 pm Link

Model

Mare15

Fairfield, Connecticut, US

Making a donation to the Red Cross through my company, and the company matches $1.50 for every dollar I give. I'll give a little bit every paycheck through payroll deduction through the end of the year.

Wondering if I can and should adopt a displaced pet.

Making smaller donations to "for the animals" charities like Noah's Wish and North Shore...

...feeling helpless...

Sep 05 05 02:02 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

I am also working through my company to have some product donated.  If you work for an organization that makes something that the people out there could use it is worth talking to your boss.  The donations are tax deductable (which companies like) and often you can provide something at a greater quantity/lower price than if an aid organization had to source it.

My company makes sports bags.

Sep 05 05 02:03 pm Link

Model

the model jo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Oh I just thought about it, 9/11 will be here also (We should keep those who died and those who were survivors, rescuers, and families of the fallen in our hearts).

Well, the world is coming to an end..

Sep 05 05 07:05 pm Link

Model

Angie Rae

Lawton, Iowa, US

Our hospital (I work on a military base) is supposed to be getting some of the hurricane victims from Louisiana. I work in the ICU there, so am looking forward to taking care of whoever they send us. smile

Sep 05 05 07:11 pm Link

Model

Tressie Myers

Welch, Oklahoma, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Paul

Paul,
I seen this and I asked myself the same question till I got down there and you would be suprised. My parents and family (some of which lost homes and as for my parents well no electric, and was without a phone till the night I got down there and after being there for about an hour it started working.) I watched my father cook biscuts on the bbq grill and believe it or not he can make a cake using a bbq grill. Suprising enough I didn't know what to think and was stuck in shock! I never heard of it being done and couldn't imagine until I seen it the following morning. You be suprised what they can do but, my father is an awesome chef.. So there is a way but only if they know the way how. I'll have to ask my father for some survival cooking and maybe make a recipe book and send to Red Cross. There is another way that I could help out.

Wishing everyone the best and my prayers are with those in LA, MS, & AL along with everyone that has/is effected by Katrina.

Sep 06 05 11:32 pm Link