Forums > Photography Talk > No, Tyra, no...

Photographer

Hydra

New York, New York, US

While I will admit that I have slightly manipulated a digital image every now and then ;-), I have always believed that extreme digital manipulation just didn't happen in the 'real' modeling world.

Industry professionals both here and on OMP have assured us for some time now that the use of Photoshop in the 'real' world was limited to blemishes and color corrections and that blatant manipulations were just not acceptable.

Now I never really believed this as other folks in the industry assured me that it happens quite regularly.  Well, I just saw a preview of Tyra Banks' new talk show and she blows the lid off of that myth and shows before and after shots of some of her images.  The level of manipulation caught me completely off guard.  They liquefied her 20 pounds thinner, raised her boobs and all other kind of stuff that I never expected at that level.  She stated you should never believe the photos you see on TV and in magazines.

Knowing that it happens and seeing it with your own eyes really puts things in a different perspective.

Sep 05 05 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Champion Hamilton

New York, New York, US

I know how you feel. This is why although I've been a digital design artist for over a decade, degree and all, I keep that an my photography separate. Unless of course it's for paid work and specifically needed for the job. The way I see it, my job as a photographer is to capture what I see. What others choose to do is of course their choice. I like it that when I shoot with someone it can be said that they look as they appear in my photos.

Of course getting rid of pimples and the occasional sleepy eye is a given. Those things are temporary. Lighting adjustments, color balancing, etc. comes with the tool since I shoot digital. Even then, although we're in a digital age it's nice when you can print a photo fresh off the camera. I've seen too many who don't have a single photo that wasn't edited in major ways.

Don't get me wrong though, I can't live without my Photoshop. LoL I just don't abuse it on photos. When I'm doing photography I'm a photographer. When I'm doing a design, I'm a Digital Design Artist.

Sep 05 05 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

I saw that too!!!  I was totally shocked and really impressed that she had the courage to show those.....  I wonder what the fallout of that will be?

Julia

Sep 05 05 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Hydra

New York, New York, US

Julia Gerace wrote:
I wonder what the fallout of that will be?

Julia

I don't think there will be much fallout for her since her supermodel days are long gone.  I think she is just trying to reinvent herself.

Sep 05 05 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I see my job as an artist to create something that I enjoy looking at...

If I take away blemishes, or other work than that is all part of my artistic process...

Sep 05 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

If someone is selling something, never expect him or her to be honest.

Sep 05 05 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

Hydra wrote:

I don't think there will be much fallout for her since her supermodel days are long gone.  I think she is just trying to reinvent herself.

yeah - but is every girl thinking that she has what it takes going to expect us to 'work the magic' on images?   I can just hear it now... 'i don't look like that but you can fix it'

Julia

Sep 05 05 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Hydra

New York, New York, US

Julia Gerace wrote:
yeah - but is every girl thinking that she has what it takes going to expect us to 'work the magic' on images?   I can just hear it now... 'i don't look like that but you can fix it'

Julia

lol... I already hear that now...

Sep 05 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

here's a site that was in a thread a few weeks back

http://glennferon.com.nyud.net:8090/por … lio01.html

I knew that alot of this went on over the last decade or so
I know a few dance photographers in NYC who made their money doing "post" work for major magazines and they always had to sign confidentiality agreements, but I think that as Photoshop has grown in the publics conciousness, the public correctly assumed that this has been going on.
Sure the mags will continue to say it doesn't (with a wink) but c'mon
it just took a big name like Tyra to talk about it

Sep 05 05 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Hydra

New York, New York, US

Rick,

Good point.

Thanks so much for the link (had not seen it before).

This is precisely the kind of work I do (and have been soundly criticized for).

Due to her position in the industry and her age, Tyra is probably one of the few who can talk about it and come out unscathed...

Sep 05 05 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

yeah, it's a great example of what really talented "post" work is out there. 
I really dig the Micki and Bugs image in your port, nice vibrant colors.

Sep 05 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Hydra

New York, New York, US

Rick Edwards wrote:
I really dig the Micki and Bugs image in your port, nice vibrant colors.

Thanks much.  That's one of my favorites.

The model, Micki - OMP #6858
http://www.onemodelplace.com/member.cfm?ID=6858
is fantastic.  I loved working with her...

Sep 05 05 03:02 pm Link